Shocking Price Rises At Phoenix Golf Club Pattaya

golfmadstudent

Just had this forwarded to me from another forum :

{The course this week confirmed that from November 1st the PSC green fee will double from 950 bt to 1900 bt.

Plus caddy fee and single cart (no more freebies) so for a PSC member you're looking at the best part of 3K plus caddy tip etc.

And the restaurant still sneak in ++ on your bill.

They asked if we would be booking for November ?}

It would seem that the honeymoon is over !!!

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

{The course this week confirmed that from November 1st the PSC green fee will double from 950 bt to 1900 bt.

Plus caddy fee and single cart (no more freebies) so for a PSC member you're looking at the best part of 3K plus caddy tip etc.

Welcome to High Seasonbiggrin.png

Welcome to High Seasonbiggrin.png
what an enlightened and informative post Willal

• 3 weeks later...
A related post elsewhere on ThaiVisa - In case it may have been overlooked!

"Members of Phoenix Golf & Country Club present petition to Prime Minister's Representative

On Thursday, a group representing shareholder / members of Phoenix Golf & Country Club, Pattaya presented a petition to the Prime Minister's Representative at their new offices in the Association of Government Scholarship Students opposite the number 1 gate of Government House.

Around August 2013 the club and lands were sold to a new owner who declared that from November 1st 2013 new rules and regulations would be enforced. The membership of Phoenix Golf & Country Club consists of players from all parts of the globe - Thailand, Japan,Korea, Germany, Norway, Canada, USA, Australia and many more. These members having checked with lawyers found the new rules and regulations illegal and in violation of their original membership rights and privileges.

An action group was formed and after several attempts to reach an amicable solution with the new owner, the group's request remained unanswered, so in December 2013 a complaint was filed with the Consumer Protection Board ( CPB ) in Pattaya against Phoenix and its new owner, but CPB Pattaya did nothing to resolve the problem. So around 160 shareholding members in May 2014 lodged a well-founded and documented complaint with the Consumer Protection Board ( CPB ) this time in Bangkok, requesting them to investigate this matter and to mediate or to go to Court on behalf of all the complainants.

The lawyers of CPB found the new owner breached the Consumer Protection Law and CPB should act on the consumer’s behalf to file the lawsuit against the new owner. The case was presented to the subcommittee of CPB Bangkok already, but the case appears to have stalled at this juncture. It is now 2 years since the case was presented to the CPB in Pattaya.

It is hoped that the Prime Minister will petition the CPB in Bangkok and the members will regain their legal rights as quickly as possible.

Eva Johnson

Just received below:

{As predicted, Phoenix have doubled the Pattaya Sports Club green fee feom 950 baht to 1900 baht with effect from 1st November.

I doubt if any PSC groups will now consider Phoenix, there is much better value elsewhere,

Or perhaps that is what Phoenix management want ?

Just received below:

{As predicted, Phoenix have doubled the Pattaya Sports Club green fee feom 950 baht to 1900 baht with effect from 1st November.

I doubt if any PSC groups will now consider Phoenix, there is much better value elsewhere,

Or perhaps that is what Phoenix management want ?[/.

It's no surprise at all anything that Phoenix management do does the increase affect members green fees ? Apart from no guests would want to play there with members.I have heard some members wish to sell memberships

Edited by Fisherman194

We are in a case of Deja Vu.

The "CLUB" that we must be a part of in order to have a genuine handicap here in Thailand (Especially around the Pattaya area) has AGAIN organised a monthly tournament at Phoenix -November 11th- even after numerous calls by the club's members to the problems iniated by the new owners. It would seem that the club's members wishes (Phoenix Shareholder / Members ) are being ignored by our own club. Even after notifing my "Club" about the difficulties the members were having with their chosen golf club, they chose to organise the club's monthly tournaments at Phoenix. I have to ask..... what ever happened to members rights?

Do we really need to be members of PSC when they are showing zero support for many of its members,even if people were not amongst the Phoenix members that were robbed of their rights,should PSC be even talking to them.I for one will not renew my membership,they have long since been deleted from the premier course guide by guys that have more moral fibre than the management of Pattaya Soldout Club.

Is there a choice? I am only aware of the PSC for official (in this case USPGA) handicap registration.

Join TGA. 660 baht first year 360 baht a year after that. Handicaps updated 1st of every month under the USGA guidelines. Scores are input online. Go to their website to see the details. Can be no argument from any of the golfing societies in Pattaya as this is the golf governing body for Thailand.

Just received below:

Or perhaps that is what Phoenix management want ?

One the dark side bars played there on Monday. Their rate was 1750 baht which included G/F , caddy fee & cart. 1200 baht if walking. I believe they have this deal till December 1st for their golf days. Seems there is different prices for everyone & anyone. Had a beer with a couple of the guys after & they said the course was in pretty ordinary shape especially the greens.

Edited by Baboy

Anyone considering purchasing a 60,000 baht annual membership, or renewing

their "golden membership" should check out the Lakes 9 holes. Phoenix appears

to have run out of money before completing the renovation. The Golf East workers,

the heavy equipment, and the "refugee" camp have all disappeared. The Lakes is in

disastrous condition...particularly holes 5-9. There is no chance of that course

reopening this year.

Management appear to be neglecting their duties to the course, the membership, and

their golfing customers as they fly off to Dubai to entice unsuspecting investors to take

over their failing investment. We can expect a lot more concessions from Phoenix after

these investors have completed their due diligence, and walked away from the deal.

Given the dubious course conditions, and the high prices, it is unlikely that the golf tour

groups will continue to support Phoenix, no matter what enticements are offered to the

tour operators. Another management shakeup is long overdue, but unlikely to make any

difference. It is as if the Club is operated on behalf of an angry old man from far away!

• 2 weeks later...

IT'S LIGHTS OUT AT PHOENIX GOLD

The Contractor, Golf East, has removed all of their equipment and workers, leaving the Lakes

course in an unfinished state. The "office at Phoenix" is the least reliable source of information.

I believe what I see. Phoenix Gold (P.G.) is blinded by greed, and has a record of deception and

denial. Management defections have already started. More should follow.

The course deficiencies include: completion of the new irrigation and drainage systems, repair of

washed out areas requiring land filling and re-sodding, re-seeding of some of the greens, cart path

paving, completion of drink station construction, and much more. Even after all of this work is finished

the new greens and fairway will require months before they are suitable for golf.

Having frittered away their annual budget on non-golf matters, P.G. have decided not to allow the

professionals to complete the Lakes project, relying instead upon unpaid overtime work by the

regular P.G. ground workers. They are not happy workers This work is slow going, and has pulled

resources away from the regular maintenance of Ocean and Mountain. The dubious condition of those

greens, tee off areas and fairways are a testament to this neglect.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?

The place is going to the dogs, literally, as stray packs have invaded the unfinished Lakes course,

the roads, the recreation areas, and the open golf areas. The cut back in night time street lighting has

exacerbated the situation. Further cutbacks in services to the residents are expected, even though the

monthly residence fees have been doubled. While the managers, security and office staff are forced to

treat the current "owner' as a Goddess, the members, residents and ordinary customers are being

victimized, and treated very poorly.

More unsettling is the uncertainty of dealing with P.G.. They make Rules and Regulations, and then

they ignore them, or worse yet, they apply them selectively. They ignore them for their "friends", and

yet they sternly enforce them upon their regular customers. Yes, Phoenix Gold is For Sale....in more ways

than one. Different Green Fees, are payable by similar, but different, groups. Different Annual Fees with

different benefits are given to different people. The P.G. motto must be "Let's Make A Deal".

But can you trust them?

They have already shown contempt for the Chonburi Court, and the Thai Consumer

Protection Department. They lied to us, and they cheated us before. Why not again?

I am so sad that the club I had chosen to join, of the numerous around the Pattaya area, after playing all the surrounding clubs , before deciding - turns out to be the worst, on a club - membership basis.
All the new owners had to do was talk to the existing shareholder / members, explain their plans and proposals - something that is the norm in business terms - but instead decided to ride roughshod over the existing shareholder / members - without consultation.
The Pattaya Sports Club, whose members are affected by this, chose not to support their members in this dispute. I wonder why?
How difficult is it to engage with shareholders in a company that you are taking over?
The "High Season" that is upon us now, already shows a drop in golfing numbers, and I presume an ever extending of "Privileges" (Free Golf Cart etc) as the numbers decline.
How easy it would have been to talk to the shareholder / members at the outset.
I live in (everlasting) hope !

Meanwhile in the first world...........http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/12022952/Golfers-call-in-Hammond-in-row-with-clubs-Chinese-owners.html

Close enough to the home of golf............................... where a member can also chose be a shareholder.smile.png

When i read this a few weeks ago i thought of similarities with Phoenix. With Wentworth, theres no mention of any laws or contracts being broken so it seems members at these expensive clubs need a belt and braces contract when they join.

You cannot compare these 2 cases. Wentworth is a PRIVATE club, where the owner can decide what to do. Phoenix was a club owned by shareholders, who were then robbed of their property by selling it without asking them. If this happened in Wentworth, somebody would be going to jail.

You cannot compare these 2 cases. Wentworth is a PRIVATE club, where the owner can decide what to do. Phoenix was a club owned by shareholders, who were then robbed of their property by selling it without asking them. If this happened in Wentworth, somebody would be going to jail.

100% owned by golfers? doesn't sound correct to me

Where did I say 100 % golfers? Phoenix was a corporation with shareholders. Golfing members only owned approx 1 % of the shares, but were shareholders/owners none the less.

I am so sad that the club I had chosen to join, of the numerous around the Pattaya area, after playing all the surrounding clubs , before deciding - turns out to be the worst, on a club - membership basis.

All the new owners had to do was talk to the existing shareholder / members, explain their plans and proposals - something that is the norm in business terms - but instead decided to ride roughshod over the existing shareholder / members - without consultation.

The Pattaya Sports Club, whose members are affected by this, chose not to support their members in this dispute. I wonder why?

How difficult is it to engage with shareholders in a company that you are taking over?

The "High Season" that is upon us now, already shows a drop in golfing numbers, and I presume an ever extending of "Privileges" (Free Golf Cart etc) as the numbers decline.

How easy it would have been to talk to the shareholder / members at the outset.

I live in (everlasting) hope !

Yes consultation was all that was needed. Sadly none. No commonsense by the new owners. No idea as to what makes a golf course tick and how to get people on your side. Big and Bossy. All the troubles could have been avoided with both sides winners. It is great to live in hope but never ever forget that the new owners can never be trusted. Some recent changes have only been brought about by financial necessity. The high season will see a drop in numbers as parts of the course are in sub standard condition, greens and tees especially, and the New Lakes Nine has taken longer to establish which will just put more pressure on the other nines. The heart of Phoenix is not beating well.

Where did I say 100 % golfers? Phoenix was a corporation with shareholders. Golfing members only owned approx 1 % of the shares, but were shareholders/owners none the less.
with 1% you have no power, almost worthless

" with 1% you have no power, almost worthless "

Au Contraire Mon Ami, companies, corporations, countries have been brought down by actions started by one individual. It only takes one to start a movement. The majority of old members are remaining true as it has been confirmed by legal authorities that the law IS on our side.