Shocking Price Rises At Phoenix Golf Club Pattaya

golfmadstudent

IT'S LIGHTS OUT AT PHOENIX GOLD

The Contractor, Golf East, has removed all of their equipment and workers, leaving the Lakes

course in an unfinished state. The "office at Phoenix" is the least reliable source of information.

I believe what I see. Phoenix Gold (P.G.) is blinded by greed, and has a record of deception and

denial. Management defections have already started. More should follow.

The course deficiencies include: completion of the new irrigation and drainage systems, repair of

washed out areas requiring land filling and re-sodding, re-seeding of some of the greens, cart path

paving, completion of drink station construction, and much more. Even after all of this work is finished

the new greens and fairway will require months before they are suitable for golf.

Having frittered away their annual budget on non-golf matters, P.G. have decided not to allow the

professionals to complete the Lakes project, relying instead upon unpaid overtime work by the

regular P.G. ground workers. They are not happy workers This work is slow going, and has pulled

resources away from the regular maintenance of Ocean and Mountain. The dubious condition of those

greens, tee off areas and fairways are a testament to this neglect.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?

The place is going to the dogs, literally, as stray packs have invaded the unfinished Lakes course,

the roads, the recreation areas, and the open golf areas. The cut back in night time street lighting has

exacerbated the situation. Further cutbacks in services to the residents are expected, even though the

monthly residence fees have been doubled. While the managers, security and office staff are forced to

treat the current "owner' as a Goddess, the members, residents and ordinary customers are being

victimized, and treated very poorly.

More unsettling is the uncertainty of dealing with P.G.. They make Rules and Regulations, and then

they ignore them, or worse yet, they apply them selectively. They ignore them for their "friends", and

yet they sternly enforce them upon their regular customers. Yes, Phoenix Gold is For Sale....in more ways

than one. Different Green Fees, are payable by similar, but different, groups. Different Annual Fees with

different benefits are given to different people. The P.G. motto must be "Let's Make A Deal".

But can you trust them?

They have already shown contempt for the Chonburi Court, and the Thai Consumer

Protection Department. They lied to us, and they cheated us before. Why not again?

Really - so the talk about Lakes being opened in January is incorrect.....Because if unfinished that would be the case would it not?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mogy, no need to write off your investment.
The new management were wrong from the start - trying to isolate the old shareholder / members without consultation and hoping to railroad them into submission. As I have mentioned again and again, moving forward for the current club's management will be more and more difficult, without dealing with the existing club's shareholder / members. The simplest solution is for an agreement between the management and the shareholder / members before the dwindling numbers effect the upkeep (and survival) of our cherished course. And we can all again participate in the proclamation of the best course, a stone's throw from Pattaya. Again - Hope etc...

Topt:

Phoenix also said that the Lakes would re-open on November 1st. Yet another deception. If they open it too soon,

the golfers will be very disappointed, and the course will deteriorate very quickly. They made this same mistake

when they re-opened the Ocean course in 2013, and the Mountain course last year. Wisdom is severely lacking

at Phoenix, so to generate more money, the desperate Club may open the Lakes prematurely.

Rather than being yet another disappointed customer, would it not be wiser to play golf at one of the many other

local courses that have better playing conditions, and offer better value? It is also annoying at Phoenix, to play at

a snails pace behind several groups of 5, while the marshals are no where to be found.

Topt:

Phoenix also said that the Lakes would re-open on November 1st. Yet another deception. If they open it too soon,

the golfers will be very disappointed, and the course will deteriorate very quickly. They made this same mistake

when they re-opened the Ocean course in 2013, and the Mountain course last year. Wisdom is severely lacking

at Phoenix, so to generate more money, the desperate Club may open the Lakes prematurely.

Rather than being yet another disappointed customer, would it not be wiser to play golf at one of the many other

local courses that have better playing conditions, and offer better value? It is also annoying at Phoenix, to play at

a snails pace behind several groups of 5, while the marshals are no where to be found.

Re your second para - not sure where you got the idea that I play there regularly as have only played twice in recent memory and one of those was completely free.........(difficult to find better value than that thumbsup.gif )

Unfortunately it also likely that you will play behind 5 balls on almost any course at this time of the year. Starter put us off the 10th at Bangpra on Wednesday but unfortunately in front of the group in front were two 5 balls of Thai players. Saying that it was not a desperately slow round but could have been so much quicker.

Just to be clear, and agreeing with your general point, I have no plans to play Phoenix unless it was being offered at a considerably cheaper price.

Edited by topt

The Lakes 9 was open yesterday . Caddys told us those playing on it where members. We played Ocean & Mountain in a tournament . Course has really gone down hill. There where at least 4 greens that are completely shagged. Green on Ocean 3 is only half the size it was 2 weeks ago. Real shame.

Topt:

Re your second para - not sure where you got the idea that I play there regularly as have only played twice in recent memory and one of those was completely free.........(difficult to find better value than that thumbsup.gif )

Unfortunately it also likely that you will play behind 5 balls on almost any course at this time of the year. Starter put us off the 10th at Bangpra on Wednesday but unfortunately in front of the group in front were two 5 balls of Thai players. Saying that it was not a desperately slow round but could have been so much quicker.

Just to be clear, and agreeing with your general point, I have no plans to play Phoenix unless it was being offered at a considerably cheaper price.

Phoenix has 5 balls on the WEEKENDS. The larger numbers at this time and because of high season result in over 5 hour rounds. Unacceptable. Just money grabbing by the Management which will eventually back fire on them if it has not already. Even if Phoenix offered a considerably cheaper price the condition of the course would still keep people away. The ones that do play will not return. Phoenix needs to take a good look at itself in the mirror.

• 2 months later...

Saw the Lakes is being used now. Any updates from someone that has played it. Have heard both sides different people different ideas. Have heard that it is only " fair " shape having seen the rest of the course a month or so ago that comes as no surprise.

Would bbs interested in any comments from golfers on here.

Saw the Lakes is being used now. Any updates from someone that has played it. Have heard both sides different people different ideas. Have heard that it is only " fair " shape having seen the rest of the course a month or so ago that comes as no surprise.

What does 'bbs' mean?

What does 'bbs' mean?

oops supposed to read " be interested ".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It has taken some time, but the Consumer Protection Board (Grand Committee) has decided to agree and accept the Phoenix Golf & Country Club Members case against

the new owners. At last there should be a solution in the offing!

• 2 months later...

With the King's Cup being held at Phoenix, I hear the members have to forego playing their course. Have the new management arranged an alternative

course for them while they are restricted from playing Phoenix? I hope so !

The Kings Cup being played at Phoenix is beyond a joke!. I rarely play there but did last week, the course is 2 steps up from being a goat track. A short goat track at that. That "new" 9 was a good waste of time and money.

It will be the absolute worst course any European players have set foot on as a pro, and I really hope they say that into a microphone.

The Kings Cup being played at Phoenix is beyond a joke!. I rarely play there but did last week, the course is 2 steps up from being a goat track. A short goat track at that. That "new" 9 was a good waste of time and money.

It will be the absolute worst course any European players have set foot on as a pro, and I really hope they say that into a microphone.

Spot on Subpar. The Kings Cup will be an embarrassment to the whole golfing community around Pattaya. There are at least 9 greens at Phoenix that are a disgrace and not fit for my dog to play games on. It will take a miracle to get them to even 50% standard in 17 days time. The other greens are barely passable. That is not to mention all the other bad grassed areas. A European Tour Event should never be played on a course in such a state. Craziness.

• 4 months later...

Tiger Clappers

•  
  • Tiger Clappers
  • Members
  • 1 post
  •  

Having played this course many times over the last 15 years I have to say what has gone wrong

new owners spent money and brought a major event but forgot about telling the crowds

now the course is being ripped up for the next Kings Cup

the first changes destroyed a great 9 with a number of gimmicky greens and a "signature par 5'" would love to know the signature 

the next 9 which is barely open has new patches on the greens already, albeit they match the first 9 cheese grater effect greens

the bunkers are like building site waste pits and the fairways look like dune buggy race tracks

so happy I never joined this club as it appears the stuck up members think it is better than the proverbial sliced loaf and are happy to enjoy their subsidized Guiness at the expense of the visiting parties

an attempt to woo more visitors with free carts has now been halted and I am sure the management will soon see that the path to the gate will not be trodden as much as it has been

what happened to one of the great courses, is it poor management, or pure greed or just deaf ears as I have it on good authority that good times are around the corner, but so is Xmas and the next Kings Cup

maybe photoshop will paint another great picture

wake up and look at what you had and try and consider the local visitors and not the 'one off's"

The "New" management have been avoiding the old members since the takeover in 2013. Instead of talking with the existing members and discussing where "Phoenix" could grow and prosper. The "New" management decided to ignore and isolate the existing members, nullifying their existing rights as agreed upon their joining as Members of Phoenix. A situation that interestingly has been ignored by the Pattaya Sports Club whose members are Phoenix Members along with a number of Pattaya Golf Societies.

• 8 months later...

Registered to play today, then was told that former members are not welcome to play Phoenix. So they refunded my Bt2000. I didn't mind. Would prefer not to support them. Mai pen lai! Plenty of other alternatives, about all for less money and a more friendly atmosphere.

4 hours ago, thinkingman said:

Would prefer not to support them. Mai pen lai! Plenty of other alternatives, about all for less money and a more friendly atmosphere.

Ummm - why did you go to play there then?

Needed a Sunday game and was desperate. Phoenix Member Group was all I could find. Lewiinski's at Green Valley was a no-show a couple of weeks ago. Plus, I have had my Phoenix caddie since 2006 and she needed the work. (I paid her full 18 hole tip on my way out.)

Members case is enmeshed in the Thai legal system, or lack thereof. Tune in next year.

Having built businesses since 1976, I always thought the objective was to keep your current customers and gain new ones. Not the way the Phoenix owner thinks. Excellent business case in how not to be successful.  I think there was as surplus cart or two after the required buggy requirement was instituted in 2013, about 100+ new buggies purchased and the place was deserted for two full years.  

Members get to play there (for now, until she changes the rules) for Bt200 per round and also pay Bt24K annually.  Also, PSC guest rates are lower than member guest rates. Shows who is valued.

Very strange!