where is nice up in isaan ?

kranuan

i am heading up to isaan , maha sarakam, kranuen , direction in a couple of weeks time, i am staying with friends but i also want to do my own thing, i am going to hire a car and do some sight seeing maybe staying in small villiage resorts at night, i have been to see some lakes around kalasin, yang talat area which was nice. i have heard of a place near khon kaen and the thais call it " mini pattaya " some kind of a beach / lake with jet ski,s etc ? can anyone give me any where nice to go, places to stay, i will go drive everywhere so i dont mind ubon rachatani, surin, udon , pitsanalouk etc. by the way i want to know if there is any concerts on in isaan in next few weeks and please tell me which villiages etc the concerts are played at, i been to a few concerts and as much as i dont understand the music being played i love the atmosphere. i like relaxing with a beer and some lady company at night also .

any advice most appreciated.

If you go to khon kaen city you need to stay at the piman garden hotel! Fantastic hotel right in the city centre but make sure and ask for a garden room on the ground floor. Then at night for amazing free live music just exit the hotel onto the street and turn left down the road about 50 yards and there is another hotel with live bands playing western music. Just take a table and order a few ice cold beers and relax! Heaven!!! Do this every time I'm in khon kaen, good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Day trips from the Mahasarakham area

See the Monkey sanctuary and a nearby water park at Kosum Phisai on the river Chi with rubber rings etc.

Drive south to Amphur Na Doon and visit the reconstructed traditional Isaan village and the nearby Chedi (Phra That Na Doon).

Drive to Kalasin province and see the dinosaur museum near Sahatsakhan.

Drive to Kalasin province and visit the Lim Pao reservoir (again with restauarants, rubber rings etc

Drive to Roi Et, explore Beung Phalanchai (the central lake), visit the aquarium, and get a lakeside pizza or beer.

Drive to Ban Khik Sanga King cobra village in Khon Kaen province.

Visit the fish conservation village on the Kamalasai Road from Mahasarakham

Visit the temple at Ban Siema (on the Yang Talat to Kamalasai Road) and see the old standing stones.

Go to Ubolratana reservoir in Khon Kaen province - which has an area that I think some call Pattaya 2.

There are some other ideas on various websites such as this one:

****Link that contains another forum removed****

Finding a bar with pretty ladies may not be quite so easy.

As mentioned above, there are many student bars in Sarakham along by the canal. At the town end near the hospital there is a disco and one or two karaoke bars (e.g. Butterfly Bar) where you can pay for female company by the hour - not something I like.

There are other student bars on the university road near Kamrieng (past Big C, cross the river and turn left).

Another small cluster of rather run-down bars and a Tawan Daeng Thai folk music bar can be found about a mile from Sarakham on the Kamalasai Road.

In the past I knew some good bars in Sarakham, which have now closed, and I am struggling to find a favourite at present

Further afield:

There are several Western-style bars near the Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen.

For something different, drive to Kalasin, take the turning off the bypass just to the west of, and opposite Tesco Lotus and you will find a cluster of suan ahaan style bars with some very nice hostesses (watch out for bill padding through).

Stay in the Petcharat Garden Hotel in Roi Et for a night and explore the nearby entertainment area with quite a few bars.

Stay in Surin and explore Soi Kola.

There is plenty to do in the area for a short visit.

Edited by metisdead
10) Not to post commercial spam or to post any promotional links, URLs or addresses to a member's own business or that would lead people to your site. Not to post URL links to other forums .
  • Like 2

If you're heading to Ubon Ratchathani, you might like to see "Pattaya Noi" on the way to Chong Mek border in Phibun Mangsahan. A big lake with swimming restaurants, jet ski, without the usual scam, banana boat etc...

Then the three colored river, also not far away.,

One night in Ubon can't be a mistake, having your own car.Others might know more about Ubon. Good trip.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Drive to Roi Et, explore Beung Phalanchai (the central lake), visit the aquarium, and get a lakeside pizza or beer.

These are the instructions I receive from the kids every Saturday morning.

But you're the one who's drinking all that beer, right?-wai2.gif

Day trips from the Mahasarakham area

See the Monkey sanctuary and a nearby water park at Kosum Phisai on the river Chi with rubber rings etc.

Drive south to Amphur Na Doon and visit the reconstructed traditional Isaan village and the nearby Chedi (Phra That Na Doon).

Drive to Kalasin province and see the dinosaur museum near Sahatsakhan.

Drive to Kalasin province and visit the Lim Pao reservoir (again with restauarants, rubber rings etc

Drive to Ban Khik Sanga King cobra village in Khon Kaen province.

Visit the fish conservation village on the Kamalasai Road from Mahasarakham

Visit the temple at Ban Siema (on the Yang Talat to Kamalasai Road) and see the old standing stones.

Go to Ubolratana reservoir in Khon Kaen province - which has an area that I think some call Pattaya 2.

There are some other ideas on various websites such as this one:

****Link that contains another forum removed****

Finding a bar with pretty ladies may not be quite so easy.

As mentioned above, there are many student bars in Sarakham along by the canal. At the town end near the hospital there is a disco and one or two karaoke bars (e.g. Butterfly Bar) where you can pay for female company by the hour - not something I like.

There are other student bars on the university road near Kamrieng (past Big C, cross the river and turn left).

Another small cluster of rather run-down bars and a Tawan Daeng Thai folk music bar can be found about a mile from Sarakham on the Kamalasai Road.

In the past I knew some good bars in Sarakham, which have now closed, and I am struggling to find a favourite at present

Further afield:

There are several Western-style bars near the Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen.

For something different, drive to Kalasin, take the turning off the bypass just to the west of, and opposite Tesco Lotus and you will find a cluster of suan ahaan style bars with some very nice hostesses (watch out for bill padding through).

Stay in the Petcharat Garden Hotel in Roi Et for a night and explore the nearby entertainment area with quite a few bars.

Stay in Surin and explore Soi Kola.

There is plenty to do in the area for a short visit.

See the Monkey sanctuary and a nearby water park at Kosum Phisai on the river Chi with rubber rings etc

A monkey sanctuary with rubber rings. Sounds scary to me. Sounds strange.-w00t.gif

Nong Khai is holding a Mor Lam concert this weekend Nov 3. Always a big smash up with lots of music and drinking. Very popular with Laotians. The upper region of Isaan is very nice> Chiang Khan, Sri Chang Mai, Sangkhom, Nong Khai among others.

Very nice drive, friendly people and there always seems to be a concert going on in a village most weekends. However hard to know as most do not advertise and what little there is in Thai. Word of mouth is how it seems to be.

These are the instructions I receive from the kids every Saturday morning.

But you're the one who's drinking all that beer, right?-wai2.gif

Teetotaler. I'm pushing the boat out if I have an Ovaltine.

See the Monkey sanctuary and a nearby water park at Kosum Phisai on the river Chi with rubber rings etc

A monkey sanctuary with rubber rings. Sounds scary to me. Sounds strange.-w00t.gif

Separate places a couple of miles apart - though the river runs through the monkey sanctuary, so I suppose monkeys who are strong swimmers could get to the other place.

Edited by citizen33

I'm not sure if this is the same place that you are talking about when you mention 'mini pattaya' but there is a place on the west side of the Ubol Rattana reservoir that they refer to as Pattaya 2. There is not a lot there to be honest, just a bunch of food places and a few paddle boats that you can rent by the hour. A few years ago they did have a banana boat but I didn't see it the last time I was there, which was about 6 months ago. They have some umbrellas and deck chairs down at the waters edge which you can rent and they'll bring the food down to you to eat there and you might get the odd one or two trying to sell you something but it's nothing like Pattaya. The nearest town to it of any size is Phu Wiang.

If you're in Sarakham, you should definitely take the time to visit Maha Chedi Chai Mong Kon, which is in RoiEt Province, Nong Pock District. It's probably about a 2h drive from Sarakham, but I think it'd be worth it. imo It'd almost definitely be in the top5 temples/pagodas in Thailand. It is still a work in progress, so there are some unfinished parts to it, but it's mostly done.

I'm not sure if this is the same place that you are talking about when you mention 'mini pattaya' but there is a place on the west side of the Ubol Rattana reservoir that they refer to as Pattaya 2. There is not a lot there to be honest, just a bunch of food places and a few paddle boats that you can rent by the hour. A few years ago they did have a banana boat but I didn't see it the last time I was there, which was about 6 months ago. They have some umbrellas and deck chairs down at the waters edge which you can rent and they'll bring the food down to you to eat there and you might get the odd one or two trying to sell you something but it's nothing like Pattaya. The nearest town to it of any size is Phu Wiang.

No bars?

No Girls?

No Ladyboys?

No Thanks!!

cheesy.gif

Soi Kola in Surin and the entertainment center in Prasat.whistling.gif alt=whistling.gif>

If you're in Prasat drive South to Ban Kruat, 24kms from there is Prasat Phnom Rung one of the finest Khmer type temples in Thailand. Well worth a visit.

... and on your way back you can call in at Prasat Hin Muang Tam.

http://www.renown-travel.com/khmertemples/muang-tum.html

Spot on description...........no banana boat there just the pedalos

Been there many times and as recent as last month

Tricky to get to off route 12, helpful if you can read Thai road sign directions. That said Google map will guide you there

• Like 1

Soi Kola in Surin and the entertainment center in Prasat.whistling.gif alt=whistling.gif>

If you're in Prasat drive South to Ban Kruat, 24kms from there is Prasat Phnom Rung one of the finest Khmer type temples in Thailand. Well worth a visit.

... and on your way back you can call in at Prasat Hin Muang Tam.

http://www.renown-travel.com/khmertemples/muang-tum.html

Why would you want to come back?

Sorry, couldn't resist! LOL!

• Like 1