Prachuap Khiri Khan: Southbound road blocked for nearly a week

webfact

Southbound road blocked for nearly a week
By English News

13832711097795.jpg

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, Nov 1 – Angry rubber farmers from 16 southern provinces continued their closure of Petchkasem Road for the sixth day to call on the government to pledge support for the falling rubber price.

As farmers rallied, a southbound train was stopped for more than two hours and a team of bomb experts removed a homemade bomb from the rail tracks about 2 km from Bang Saphan station in Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Protesters felled trees across the road in Bang Saphan Noi district yesterday, blocking traffic there, after police failed to disperse them.

Motorists were forced to use a smaller road parallel to Petchkasem Road but it was too narrow for large trucks.

Meanwhile, more than 300 village leaders in Prachuap Khiri Khan met with the provincial governor to call on the authorities to urgently reopen Petchkasem Road.

Suntorn Rakrong, adviser to the network of rubber and oil palm farmers, said the road blockade would benefit the government as it obstructed people from 14 southern provinces who were heading for Bangkok to join anti-government protests.

He claimed that the village leaders who disagreed with the rally were linked to the ruling Pheu Thai Party. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-01

Blocked Petchkasem Road partially open today
By English News

13833755862016.jpg

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN, Nov 2 – Protesting rubber farmers agreed to partially reopen Petchkasem Road, the major land link between Thailand's central region and the South, starting today.

Prachuap Khiri Khan Governor Wira Siwatthanatrakun said leaders of rubber and oil palm farmers from 16 southern provinces announced that they would continue blocking one side of the road and open the other side to traffic.

They have closed Petchkasem Road between Km410 and Km416 for eight days to protest against the government’s refusal to pledge a supported rubber price at Bt100/kg.

Provincial security personnel and volunteers were dispatched to the scene to ensure that the road was open, possibly at around noon today.

Regarding the shooting into the homes of four activists in the province on Thursday night, the governor said police had inspected the scenes to collect evidence.

He called on the public not to conclude on the persons behind the incidents in light of rumours that the attacks were conducted by a group of instigators.

Asked why he allowed the demonstration to be prolonged to eight days, Mr Wira said the provincial administration had tried its best to resume traffic on Petchkasem Road without violence.

Thanes Sunthornsuk, Prachuap Khiri Khan police commander, said he believed the attacks at the four men's homes were done by a third party and the forensic investigation would lead to the suspects. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-02

I have mixed feelings about this. I respect the right of the protesters to raise the public awareness of their grievance but blocking a major north/south highway is going too far. The government have been too lenient, They should agree to discuss the grievance over a negotiation table and ask the protesters once to clear the highway. If they do not, bulldoze the obstructions and enforce the rule of law. Disruption of commerce is unacceptable to the economy and directly affects Thai citizens when cargo trucks cannot get through,

I have mixed feelings about this. I respect the right of the protesters to raise the public awareness of their grievance but blocking a major north/south highway is going too far. The government have been too lenient, They should agree to discuss the grievance over a negotiation table and ask the protesters once to clear the highway. If they do not, bulldoze the obstructions and enforce the rule of law. Disruption of commerce is unacceptable to the economy and directly affects Thai citizens when cargo trucks cannot get through,

I also agree with you but I feel as the double standards that the government is using to try to help the rice farmers and completely ignore the rubber farmers is not exactly the way to govern.

I know if I was on the receiving end of the shit stick I would be upset.

Seems like the only other option they have is to vote PTP.

seems

I also agree with you but I feel as the double standards that the government is using to try to help the rice farmers and completely ignore the rubber farmers is not exactly the way to govern.

I know if I was on the receiving end of the shit stick I would be upset.

Seems like the only other option they have is to vote PTP.

seems

yet the reality is NEITHER should be helped.