Does anyone know who will carry the 2014 World Cup?

CarolinaJames

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Last I heard RS will show all 64 channels via their sun box system. Only 22 FTA, although NBTC is kicking off about this arrangement. I think I saw that RS will make these channels available via PSI and I think they're in talks to provide a HD sub-license via TRUE or CTH.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 1 month later...

TRUE's service was AWFUL, but CTH is so unbelievably AWFUL, I am lost for words to describe it.

Apart from the iidiots on the call centre (apparently half of them not even CTH staff just sales people), the EPG on the set works about 1% of the time, and the EPG on the website is hardly better, containing no text search, and usually shows only 1 day's programs, and that's if its your luck day!

Anyone have any specifics on CTH or TRUE showing in HD yet?

I am from Brazil. Already got the 1.500thb HD2 box for my PSI cable showing Spain League, World Cup classification games, and Brazil related events on SUN station. Will show all the Cup games, but I do not know if they will transmit the games LIVE, because they do not do it with the Spain league. I hope so.

By the way.....if you or somebody here is going to Brazil for the World Cup and wants "expert" advise...let me know...even if Brazil and Thailand's life share a lot in common....

Edited by umbanda

Kindly excuse my ignorance, but who or what are RS ? Due to the time difference between Brazil and Asia, I guess most games will be either late at night or early mornings
RS are rights holders for World Cup. They also have la liga rights that they show via Sun channel on their sun box. They will open 2 World Cup channels for the tournament. Games for group stages first 2 rounds are ko at 11pm, 2am and 5am. Final group games 11 and 3am same for ko rounds. Final at 2am

I am from Brazil. Already got the 1.500thb HD2 box for my PSI cable showing Spain League, World Cup classification games, and Brazil related events on SUN station. Will show all the Cup games, but I do not know if they will transmit the games LIVE, because they do not do it with the Spain league. I hope so.

By the way.....if you or somebody here is going to Brazil for the World Cup and wants "expert" advise...let me know...even if Brazil and Thailand's life share a lot in common....

oi tudo bem? yeah I want to go, I have already applied for FIFA tickets, though I don't understand why some of the matches are played in Cuiaba, a city with umm no acommodation, you know much about that city, if they have any lodges or guest houses which are not advertised on the internet? it seems to be a country town?

oi tudo bem? yeah I want to go, I have already applied for FIFA tickets, though I don't understand why some of the matches are played in Cuiaba, a city with umm no acommodation, you know much about that city, if they have any lodges or guest houses which are not advertised on the internet? it seems to be a country town?

Yes Jayroo...was my surprise too...Brazil is a big country and those games far away from Rio de Janeiro and on small cities will be a agravation for the visitors...I do not understand why so few games in Rio, where most of the famous tourist attraction are. If you are single, I get into a Brazilian dating site now and make some friends in those cities. Brazilian women are very friendly and love foreigners. I am sure you will get free accommodation very easy.....and with some "benefits"...If you are married...go alone...or not go at all. Too much "distraction" around...

Hi Jayroo..I reply your comment...but I think on the wrong place. Look on my post....

Kindly excuse my ignorance, but who or what are RS ? Due to the time difference between Brazil and Asia, I guess most games will be either late at night or early mornings

RS are rights holders for World Cup. They also have la liga rights that they show via Sun channel on their sun box. They will open 2 World Cup channels for the tournament. Games for group stages first 2 rounds are ko at 11pm, 2am and 5am. Final group games 11 and 3am same for ko rounds. Final at 2am

Some games will have to be made available to free-to-air broadcasters (i.e. Channels, 3, 5, 7 etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Jayroo...was my surprise too...Brazil is a big country and those games far away from Rio de Janeiro and on small cities will be a agravation for the visitors...I do not understand why so few games in Rio, where most of the famous tourist attraction are. If you are single, I get into a Brazilian dating site now and make some friends in those cities. Brazilian women are very friendly and love foreigners. I am sure you will get free accommodation very easy.....and with some "benefits"...If you are married...go alone...or not go at all. Too much "distraction" around...

Obrigado, sorry for late reply, forgot what thread I posted the question on.. haha yeah, I actually have been looking on facebook, but with not much effort, I will try again this week.. that is probably the best idea, to make friends with some locals.. sim as gatinhas sao muito gostozas!

RS lost the court case for "must carry" I think they are appealing. But as it stands all games should be on Thai tv.

RS wins first round of court battle over World Cup broadcast right
in Business | January 8, 2014(99 views)
  • 215979-imagejpeg-330762-wpcf_728x413.jpg
An Administrative Court case judge said Wednesday that the announcement of the “Must Have” rule by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) which mandatorily requires Free TV stations to broadcast live all the 64 soccer matches of the World Cup should be scrapped.

The above ruling of the judge in charge of the case between RS International Broadcasting and Sports Management and the NBTC represents the judge’s personal opinion and is not binding to the Administrative Court. However, in most cases, the court often ruled along the line of the case judge.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rs-wins-first-round-court-battle-world-cup-broadcast-right/

• 1 month later...

Anyone have an update on who exactly will be carrying coverage of the World Cup? Thai media still seem very confused and at odds with each other.

RS Sunbox with they own worldcup channels

http://www.rssunbox.com/real/

https://www.facebook.com/rssunbox

https://www.facebook.com/worldcupchannel

Some matches are on channel 7 and some on channel 8. Here again list of all matches with channels they are on, bad quality picture but you can see what matches are on 7 and 8.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1797488_814178298597074_246983515_n.jpg

Edited by hullupullo
  • Like 1

Games will be on at stupid o'clock. Not going to be able to enjoy them at these times. Looks like ill be watching replays.

awww you should write a complaint letter to FIFA! how dare they.

An observation, not a complaint. Presuming you are based in Thailand I can imagine you have the same problem sometimes when you want to watch Madrid.

• 1 month later...

I checked the RS website. Unfortunately, I am unable to read Thai, so am not much wiser about what they offer re the World Cup, and how to access it. A pity really, as I am tired of True, and if they offered a good alternative, I would happily jump ship beyond the World Cup. But I cannot know if their service is a feasible alternative for me...and I find that phoning is not really my style - I prefer to study and consider information, not pocess it over a phone conversation. Hopefully a better educated person than I will translate the Thai info provided by RS at some point prior to kick off.