Does anyone know who will carry the 2014 World Cup?

CarolinaJames

Bump

Any updates on whether CTH or True are carrying any of the World Cup games on their HD channels? Have not noticed any adverts so I assume not. Guess I will just be dancing around Thai channels with oft-times poor reception, listening to Thai commentary. Luckily it looks like I will be in the UK for the group stages.

Probably not worth getting RS just for the final stages but I have seen very little analysis on the footy threads as to what the RS direct offering is. I gather they have a Sun Box at 1,500 baht (where?) but is that cable only or is their a satellite offering? Any English language on RS? Any costs other than the box cost? Anybody know?

Yes - I have been out of Thailand for 3 weeks, so I admit I am out of touch and a Johnny come lately

Edited by SantiSuk

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have a better list, than this one? https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1797488_814178298597074_246983515_n.jpg

?

I'm in Europe ATM on business/fixing some personal issues, and i'm really thinking about extending my stay, until the World Cup is over.

I'm pretty sure that the curfew will be over, when this kicks off, but it's still a bit unclear to me, who is showing what and if it's live (on top of that, Thailand is a pretty bad place to be, time wise, when it comes to these games....)

What plans do other football lovers in here have, when it comes to watching the World Cup 2014 in ex. Bangkok?

Anyone have a better list, than this one? https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1797488_814178298597074_246983515_n.jpg

?

I'm in Europe ATM on business/fixing some personal issues, and i'm really thinking about extending my stay, until the World Cup is over.

I'm pretty sure that the curfew will be over, when this kicks off, but it's still a bit unclear to me, who is showing what and if it's live (on top of that, Thailand is a pretty bad place to be, time wise, when it comes to these games....)

What plans do other football lovers in here have, when it comes to watching the World Cup 2014 in ex. Bangkok?

Its a <deleted> up situation in my mind. And I don't think there is a guarantee that the curfew will be lifted, particularly here in Bangkok.

I'm considering bolting somewhere else for a month. I know a regular poster here who has traveled back to England for the express purpose of watching the WC there. Good decision.

Anyone have an update on who exactly will be carrying coverage of the World Cup? Thai media still seem very confused and at odds with each other.

RS Sunbox with they own worldcup channels

http://www.rssunbox.com/real/

https://www.facebook.com/rssunbox

https://www.facebook.com/worldcupchannel

Some matches are on channel 7 and some on channel 8. Here again list of all matches with channels they are on, bad quality picture but you can see what matches are on 7 and 8.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/q71/s720x720/1797488_814178298597074_246983515_n.jpg

Thanks for the link to the photo, looks like 7 and 8 are being fed a few games but not the more watched games like the England games, so if CTH does not come to my rescue i will not be watching much world cup.

Hi all, I currenty have a PSI box and satellite dish. In order to get te world cup channel is it as simple as buying the sunbox from 7/11 and replacing my current box with the new one? I want to make sure it will work before buying the box. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows more information as the Thai websites are confusing.

Like BB has already said, 365 sport or Thai expat tv, 600 baht a month, can't see why all the fuss really unless your a skinflint of course laugh.png

Everybody here does not have good enough internet for streams, but if I had, I would never pay 600b for something I could get free. There will be dozens of free streams when wc starts. But as said, internet is crap so I have to watch what is on tv.

Like BB has already said, 365 sport or Thai expat tv, 600 baht a month, can't see why all the fuss really unless your a skinflint of course laugh.png

Everybody here does not have good enough internet for streams, but if I had, I would never pay 600b for something I could get free. There will be dozens of free streams when wc starts. But as said, internet is crap so I have to watch what is on tv.

But your not getting what you would get on Thai Expat for free are you you numpty ?

1.Your not getting every game for free as they're not showing all of them.

2.Your not getting every game with English commentary for free.

3. Your not getting the choice of when you want to watch the games for free.

So get your money out and pay for a faster Broadband and Thai Expat you old tightwad. biggrin.png

I personally wasn't so impressed with Thaiexpat TV. Their terms and conditions seem a little open (that is, not a lot of promise for security of the information you provide them - a worry in these days of endless spam, hackers & stolen identities). Maybe they are OK. Their T&C is not sufficiently clear to know, but it does appear that you give them the right to pass on info you have provided to an unspecified range of 3rd parties. This is not to question the integrity of the guys at ThaiExpat TV - I don't know them, and they may be as honest as the day is long. I hope so, as you certainly want who is someone scrupulously honest if you have no legal protection through their T&C.

Also, and maybe more importantly for us skinflints, Thai Expat TV costs 600THB per month - ie 7,200 thb per year. Yet you can get 12 months of a premium VPN service for 2,100thb. Then simply use BBC iplayer or ITV iplayer (free) and you have more British TV than you know what to do with. Download programs to your Mac Air or iGadget, use some good quality HDMI cable to connect to your Samsung 50" TV - and hey presto. Paradise. wink.png

Oh, and you also have an extra 5,100 thb to spend on champagne at the annual Skinflints Ball. With the VPN system you can of course watch the World Cup on BBC / ITV - albeit delayed matches as they won't be showing them live. Still, who wants to wake up at 2 or 3 am for a match? I can watch them play over breakfast the next day and pretend that they are live! Or maybe that's the time for that bottle of champagne - I would probably have to share if I take it to the Skinflints Ball. At home for breakfast that bottle of Cristal Brut (1990 of course) is all mine!!!smile.png

I personally wasn't so impressed with Thaiexpat TV. Their terms and conditions seem a little open (that is, not a lot of promise for security of the information you provide them - a worry in these days of endless spam, hackers & stolen identities). Maybe they are OK. Their T&C is not sufficiently clear to know, but it does appear that you give them the right to pass on info you have provided to an unspecified range of 3rd parties. This is not to question the integrity of the guys at ThaiExpat TV - I don't know them, and they may be as honest as the day is long. I hope so, as you certainly want who is someone scrupulously honest if you have no legal protection through their T&C.

Also, and maybe more importantly for us skinflints, Thai Expat TV costs 600THB per month - ie 7,200 thb per year. Yet you can get 12 months of a premium VPN service for 2,100thb. Then simply use BBC iplayer or ITV iplayer (free) and you have more British TV than you know what to do with. Download programs to your Mac Air or iGadget, use some good quality HDMI cable to connect to your Samsung 50" TV - and hey presto. Paradise. wink.png

Oh, and you also have an extra 5,100 thb to spend on champagne at the annual Skinflints Ball. With the VPN system you can of course watch the World Cup on BBC / ITV - albeit delayed matches as they won't be showing them live. Still, who wants to wake up at 2 or 3 am for a match? I can watch them play over breakfast the next day and pretend that they are live! Or maybe that's the time for that bottle of champagne - I would probably have to share if I take it to the Skinflints Ball. At home for breakfast that bottle of Cristal Brut (1990 of course) is all mine!!!smile.png

Of course they are showing them live facepalm.gif

Edited by alfieconn

Read/understand the whole post Alfie sonfacepalm.gif He is not talking about your beloved ThaiexpatTV..Here I've coloured it for youthumbsup.gif

Read/understand the whole post Alfie sonfacepalm.gif He is not talking about your beloved ThaiexpatTV..Here I've coloured it for youthumbsup.gif

Well he did say "Vpn system" I.e. one, and then ses "they won't be showing them live" the "they" meaning more than one, that's why I took it that he meant BBC and ITV 1 !!!!!

• Like 1

The first England game is at 5am !

Well he did say "Vpn system" I.e. one, and then ses "they won't be showing them live" the "they" meaning more than one, that's why I took it that he meant BBC and ITV 1 !!!!!

You get stoopider by the day lad...Keep on givin'clap2.gif

You get stoopider by the day lad...Keep on givin'clap2.gif

Try reading it again and your calling me stupid !

The first England game is at 5am !

Goody - just have to get up one hour earlier then

Isaan dweller and kids get up for school at 6am!

Actually I'll probably be back in blighty for the group stages - no I'm not mad enough to be going there just for the atmosphere - can't stand all that gung ho press/white van man flags/ pub flags bollux, given the state of our national team*tongue.png

* though for all that I do enjoy watching some England matches in a pub back room if the beer's good

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

RS lost the court case for "must carry" I think they are appealing. But as it stands all games should be on Thai tv.

With Thai commentary......oh hoo

For avoidance of doubt for any late comers to this thread and answering one of my own questions, I think that the regulator has insisted that all games are to be shown somewhere free to air:

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/world-football/asia/12429-thai-regulator-insists-all-world-cup-finals-games-must-broadcast-free-to-air

On the other hand, TIT .... I'll believe it when I see official TV schedules

Streaming, even with a good connection, is nothing like expat-tv which is just like watching it on your TV, you can replay the matches at another time, and plenty of other programs to watch while your waiting for games. Try the free 3 day trail and you will understand the difference between streaming

Are you sure that the world cup channel is included in the standard PSI package or do we need to call up and order it? I have the channel listed in the guide but I cannot view it when I select the channel a message comes up in Thai.

Are you sure that the world cup channel is included in the standard PSI package or do we need to call up and order it? I have the channel listed in the guide but I cannot view it when I select the channel a message comes up in Thai.

We've got 2 PSI boxes. One has the football pack, the other doesn't. Set up was about 10K baht for each. Dish and box feeding different TV's. Football pack was extra but very small money. Wife and b-i-l sorted it through shop in local town. Very easy.

(Only works if you have SAMSUNG TV's though. Joking.wink.png Probably works fine with crap from China too. thumbsup.gif ).

PSI? My roof will collapse if I put yet another dish on it facepalm.gif

[Annoying that it is still unclear whether the free to air channels have the right to show all WC games or just the selected 22 games that CTH are airing, but I have my plan B in place!]

• Like 1

[Annoying that it is still unclear whether the free to air channels have the right to show all WC games or just the selected 22 games that CTH are airing, but I have my plan B in place!]

Yep. TRUE point SS.smile.png

( Reminds me of the old joke: 'What do you call a box with a satellite dish on it?')

Why don't you get one motorised dish?

Nice idea Chicog - didn't know they existed. But I doubt that takes care of me watching CTH in the sitting room (lounge to you southerners), wife watching soaps on True Visions in Bedroom 1 and daughters watching whatever they watch on free GMM (legacy from the Euros) in Bed 2.

Oh yes - I pay whatever it takes to remove any threat of family discord over my football-watching!

Nice idea Chicog - didn't know they existed. But I doubt that takes care of me watching CTH in the sitting room (lounge to you southerners), wife watching soaps on True Visions in Bedroom 1 and daughters watching whatever they watch on free GMM (legacy from the Euros) in Bed 2.

Oh yes - I pay whatever it takes to remove any threat of family discord over my football-watching!

Might help you get a Thai 747 flying in your lounge window though.

smile.png