Does anyone know who will carry the 2014 World Cup?

CarolinaJames

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PSI? My roof will collapse if I put yet another dish on it facepalm.gif

[Annoying that it is still unclear whether the free to air channels have the right to show all WC games or just the selected 22 games that CTH are airing, but I have my plan B in place!]

Why don't you get one motorised dish?

Nice idea Chicog - didn't know they existed. But I doubt that takes care of me watching CTH in the sitting room (lounge to you southerners), wife watching soaps on True Visions in Bedroom 1 and daughters watching whatever they watch on free GMM (legacy from the Euros) in Bed 2.

Oh yes - I pay whatever it takes to remove any threat of family discord over my football-watching!

That's why you control the housekeeping and pocket money. Man up!

tongue.png

So, a lot of the language here makes me think english is not my first language!

If RS do have the rights to air the games, how do i get to pay for those rights? I am only a truevisions subscriber, not CTH. Would i need a new dish?

Can someone explain to me a bit better thaiexpat tv? How do i get it, and how does it work if it's not streaming? Can we get it just for one month, or do you have to subscribe for longer. Do i need any extra dish put in.

Sometimes i see all these options through streaming, extra dishes, plugging this or that wire in, connecting up the tv to the computer and so it goes on. It's mind-altering stuff!

The Thai TV broadcasting regulator said that all 64 World Cup matches should be shown on free TV not just the 22 games but dunno if the pay TV have appealed against this decision,so it might still be up in the air ??

So, a lot of the language here makes me think english is not my first language!

If RS do have the rights to air the games, how do i get to pay for those rights? I am only a truevisions subscriber, not CTH. Would i need a new dish?

Can someone explain to me a bit better thaiexpat tv? How do i get it, and how does it work if it's not streaming? Can we get it just for one month, or do you have to subscribe for longer. Do i need any extra dish put in.

Sometimes i see all these options through streaming, extra dishes, plugging this or that wire in, connecting up the tv to the computer and so it goes on. It's mind-altering stuff!

It is streaming but the connection is more stable. You need about 3mb internet although mine seems to work just over the 2mb mark. You can buy there set top box or you can download their software on to your computer. Then all you need is a HDMI cable which you connect from your computer to your TV.

I e-mailed the contact given on the RS site that has exclusive rights to televising the World Cup. I asked if they had a web page or printed information anywhere in English, as I am barely able to read a menu in Thai. They said, no, just buy the box and pay the subscription - either over the phone or at 7/11 - and then use the 1781 number to set up and for support.

This is an organisation that spent a fortune buying the rights to the World Cup and fighting through courts to keep the matches out of the free channels (and True's) hands. But either can't be bothered or didn't think to pay a few hundred baht for an English language translation of its webpage for the thousands of fotball mad falang who live here. Or even a .pdf file it can send to farangs outlining the deal.

So I figure I just might avoid such a hopelessly inefficient organisation, and find alternate methods. I wouldn't want to gamble on them coming through with the goods, although I hope they do for all of those who do subscribe.

One alternate method is to use free VPN services (such as HOLA) or paid ones (Hidemyass, Witopia etc for about $60 a year) ) then you can "pretend" your computer is in any country you like. And stream from local channels such as BBC in the UK (although their telecasts are delayed). I don't know how to find a HD channel for the matches, which is a bugger. If anyone does know how to access HD, I wil include them in my prayers if they send me the info!

• Like 2

I've been very kindly pmed about signing up for expat tv. Looks like the best choice for me. But looking at their website, a few things don't mean much to me:

• seven day content history - does this mean i can watch anything i miss live at any time i want for the next week?
  • watch live or on demand - what exactly does 'on demand' mean?
  • no VPN or proxy server - ??

Cheers.

In reply to the topic title "who will carry the world cup 2014"

Of course we all know England will be carrying it by the endsmile.png

Gonna take a miracle for JT to lift it mind.

thumbsup.gif

Not really he managed to lift the champions league trophy even though he was not playing, i am sure if England win it he will find a way to lift the trophy.

• Like 1

thumbsup.gif

Not really he managed to lift the champions league trophy even though he was not playing, i am sure if England win it he will find a way to lift the trophy.

Sure to be a "photo" of him raising it to the heavens no matter who wins. Looking forward to it.biggrin.png

thumbsup.gif

That was exactly my point nev.

Ask the bartender.

thumbsup.gif

thumbsup.gif

But they probably find a way to lose it (someone stole it).

;)

Like BB has already said, 365 sport or Thai expat tv, 600 baht a month, can't see why all the fuss really unless your a skinflint of course laugh.png

Everybody here does not have good enough internet for streams, but if I had, I would never pay 600b for something I could get free. There will be dozens of free streams when wc starts. But as said, internet is crap so I have to watch what is on tv.

But your not getting what you would get on Thai Expat for free are you you numpty ?

1.Your not getting every game for free as they're not showing all of them.

2.Your not getting every game with English commentary for free.

3. Your not getting the choice of when you want to watch the games for free.

So get your money out and pay for a faster Broadband and Thai Expat you old tightwad. biggrin.png

Maybe it is my english or maybe is just you.

But onemore time.

I don't have broadband internet and it is not available where I live.

But if I had, I would not pay 600b for expat tv.

Because, there will be free streams for sure.

Then I could get every game free, yes, there will be streams.

English commentary I don't need but I'm sure there will be streams with that too, free.

Choice when watch is live, why anyone would watch delayed football matches? And btw, there will be streams, live, free.

Edited by hullupullo

No broadband = no chance, streaming or otherwise.

You might get 20 odd games on CH7 (as it stands,that could change?) or look at buying RS/PSI stuff that other posts have mentioned. Alternatively, come back to civilisationwink.png

There was this schedule before, many games in ch7&8. Enough for me

http://f.ptcdn.info/689/019/000/1401790098-769066img1-o.jpg

But now there is new, only 22 matches

http://f.ptcdn.info/689/019/000/1401790128-1401787115-o.jpg

So yes, gonna get new box. Anyone have this RS box, can I use truevisions dish?

edit. lol, wait, new turn,

"RS in talks with Truevisions to screen World Cup matches"

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/731826-thailand-live-thursday-5-jun-2014/page-3#entry7932465

Edited by hullupullo

The last World Cup here, and Euro 2012 was a complete norse-up here -- they are going to show it free, no they're not, yes they are but only for people with ordinary (ie non-dish) aerials.

Some possibilities:

1) General Prayut, with his eye for a populist gesture, orders RS to distribute the feed free to all the Thai free-to-air channels. Sorted.

2) Internet. Try wiziwig.tv (free), thai expat tv (cheap) or Sports365 (equally cheap). Feed it into TV via HDMI cable. Extra benefit is English commentary (or with wiziwig, Arabic or Russian).

There is also the RS option for TV, but it's a bit unclear what they are offering -- does HD mean you have to have a special TV, does the RS box work with existing dishes, how the whole subscription thing works.

4) Sleep the nights away, and watch the goals on Channel 3's sports show at 8.45am.

Oh, and the England team have arrived in Brazil after holding the mighty Ecuador to a draw...

World-Cup-gallery-007_zpsb79ce481.jpg

• Like 2

The last World Cup here, and Euro 2012 was a complete norse-up here -- they are going to show it free, no they're not, yes they are but only for people with ordinary (ie non-dish) aerials.

Some possibilities:

1) General Prayut, with his eye for a populist gesture, orders RS to distribute the feed free to all the Thai free-to-air channels. Sorted.

2) Internet. Try wiziwig.tv (free), thai expat tv (cheap) or Sports365 (equally cheap). Feed it into TV via HDMI cable. Extra benefit is English commentary (or with wiziwig, Arabic or Russian).

There is also the RS option for TV, but it's a bit unclear what they are offering -- does HD mean you have to have a special TV, does the RS box work with existing dishes, how the whole subscription thing works.

4) Sleep the nights away, and watch the goals on Channel 3's sports show at 8.45am.

Oh, and the England team have arrived in Brazil after holding the mighty Ecuador to a draw...

If they are in Brazil, who the hell will play against Honduras in Miami on the 7th? ........Don't tell me Cleverley and Carrick are coming after allsad.png

ps: I always find English comms on Wiziwig...even last night, until TOT went balls up!

Hi all, I currenty have a PSI box and satellite dish. In order to get te world cup channel is it as simple as buying the sunbox from 7/11 and replacing my current box with the new one? I want to make sure it will work before buying the box. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows more information as the Thai websites are confusing.

I got the HD 2 Digital box from PSI 6 months ago, and shows the World Cup Channel and the Liga Brava Channel from Spain without problems. I paid 1620THB for the box, not monthly charge. Only problem...comments in Thai.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 1

Some possibilities:

Not neccesary to change the PSI dish or have HD tv or a special TV to connect the 2 HD PSI box, and the image improves a lot....You will get World Cup channel and Liga Brava Channel. The box cost 1620THB one time, not monthly charge. Comments and interviews in Thai. Sorry to tell you..Brazil will be the Champion...my word on it. "I am not just perfect...I am Brazilian too"

• Like 2

Hi all, I currenty have a PSI box and satellite dish. In order to get te world cup channel is it as simple as buying the sunbox from 7/11 and replacing my current box with the new one? I want to make sure it will work before buying the box. Thanks in advance to anyone who knows more information as the Thai websites are confusing.

I got the HD 2 Digital box from PSI 6 months ago, and shows the World Cup Channel and the Liga Brava Channel from Spain without problems. I paid 1620THB for the box, not monthly charge. Only problem...comments in Thai.

Same same me umbanda.

I got European Champions League on my box too. I could hear the English commentary when the Thai voices were quiet. thumbsup.gif

Come on Phil.

wink.png

Thanks, Umbanda, that was very helpful.

I have a dish plus the ordinary PSI box with 200 channels of Asian game shows & TV shopping (bah.gif ) so swapping it for a bit of football will be excellent.

I expect a Brazil-Argentina final.

Brazil - Argentina Final?.....I hope not.....that will be really a FINAL...DAY... for those countries. A WAR that will never end.....