Thaivisa 2014/2557 Calendar Photo Contributions

Tywais

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is my contribution ENJOY !!!!!

post-130732-0-40612500-1383558587_thumb. " Waters Edge " Bang Rak Koh Samui.

post-130732-0-52205000-1383558943_thumb. " Taling Ngam Fishing Boats " koh Samui

post-130732-0-18694500-1383559202_thumb. " All Aboard " Bang Rak Koh Samui

post-130732-0-67951000-1383559565_thumb. " Piggin Out " Chai's Motorbike Shop, Koh Phangan.

post-130732-0-49097800-1383559739_thumb. " Catch of the Day " Nathon Pier Koh Samui

• Like 2

Hi Folks,

Please remember that this is a Calendar Photo Contributions for The Thai 2014 Calendar, meaning April is Songkran, October is for King Rama 5, December is for His Majesty King Bhumipol Adulyadej of Thailand.

Just thinking aloud coffee1.gif

Win wai.gif

Hi Folks,

Please remember that this is a Calendar Photo Contributions for The Thai 2014 Calendar, meaning April is Songkran, October is for King Rama 5, December is for His Majesty King Bhumipol Adulyadej of Thailand.

Just thinking aloud coffee1.gif

Win wai.gif

Ah, yes... Thanks for the reminder, KanWin.

Songkran, Petchabun town.

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

facepalm.gif This "1280 x xxx size" is a problem with Picasa too... 800 or 1024 or 1600 or full size are the choices... w00t.gifGoing to have to think how to resize to 1280 ... rolleyes.gif

Some great submissions so far...thumbsup.gif

This one is 1600.... let's see how many people have problems viewing...

Kids fishing and playing on the beach Ban Tai Beach, Samui.

Although your first posted shot of the other Thai guy was much better then this one, this shot looks more suitable for the calender, Jimmythumbsup.gif.

That being said,.. I'll do a 1600, as well.

And will ask not only Tywais and Kanwin, but everyone here if this size is acceptable/readable for posting here. As a test..

What's Songkran without a pick-up, equipped with a decent 100liter barrel filled with water?

IMG_0551.jpg

• Like 1

facepalm.gif This "1280 x xxx size" is a problem with Picasa too... 800 or 1024 or 1600 or full size are the choices... w00t.gifGoing to have to think how to resize to 1280 ... rolleyes.gif

Some great submissions so far...thumbsup.gif

This one is 1600.... let's see how many people have problems viewing...

Kids fishing and playing on the beach Ban Tai Beach, Samui.

Although your first posted shot of the other Thai guy was much better then this one, this shot looks more suitable for the calender, Jimmythumbsup.gif.

That being said,.. I'll do a 1600, as well.

And will ask not only Tywais and Kanwin, but everyone here if this size is acceptable/readable for posting here. As a test..

What's Songkran without a pick-up, equipped with a decent 100liter barrel filled with water?

OK just to clarify what happened on my Chaing Mai Elephant pics, above... which are and where 1280 x ---

When I uploaded those, I did not check original size blink.png... I clicked to upload at 1600 but because they were 1280 x --- already.... they stayed that way! thumbsup.gif

The kids with fishing net were much larger images... so that is why that image looks larger on the page at 1600.x

Perhaps Tywais can help with this? , as he's the one to sort this out, at the end of it all..... before getting too far into this.... most images posted so far seem to be smaller size! w00t.gif I could save a lot of time facepalm.gif

But smaller image size won't print out so well... so need to be consistent??? Will have to take a boo and see what we did last year wink.png .... but perhaps the "goal posts" have changed!? biggrin.png

Regarding image sizes as I see there is an issue already. In the past I specified a minimum of 1024 in order to compromise as to being printable and to be viewable on monitors. The majority of monitors now support greater than that with 1366 wide becoming one of the most common ones so figured 1280 wide should be ok. That gives me 6.4 inches at 200dpi and obviously 300dpi would be optimum which would be 1800 pixels wide.

Large images than would be best uploaded as an attachment which will not cause a problem in some browsers. It is specific to Firefox from what I've seen and members using other browsers it is not an issue of being too large for their screens. Of course those members who are hosting their images on photo file servers I can't expect them to take another step to also upload as an attachment. I have a full HD 1920x1200 monitor so the 1600 wide are not a problem for me.

Just looked on my Flickr account and see that choices are 1024, 1600 and 2048 and original for sizes.

Perhaps 1280 - 1600 wide would be the optimum size range for a compromise for offsite linked images. Or if an uploaded attachment, 2048 wide is ideal. 1024 has worked in previous calendars if there are no other options.

Hey Tywais ... maybe some hints on what makes a good Calendar Shot.

For example what looks great as a photo, may not be the best candidate

for a galvanising image for the Calendar which is often viewed from afar.

W H A T M A K E S A G O O D P H O T O ?
The first characteristic of a good photo is
TECHNICAL QUALITY
In other words, the photo must be correctly exposed, revealing an accurate
reproduction of colours and a proper balance between highlight and shadow
areas. In addition, unless certain areas of the photograph have been purposely
blurred for effect, the image must be sharply focused. Aside from being
technically superior, all good photos have an immediate
IMPACT upon a viewer. Impact is created in a variety of ways: by capturing action at the
best possible moment; by presenting an ordinary subject in a non-ordinary
way; by eliminating objects that draw attention away from the main point of
interest; and by selecting a point-of-view that takes advantage of dramatic
lines, masses, colour and motion. Here are some general hints for taking good

pictures

http://media.westfieldgrp.com/www/about/Calendar_Contest_Rules.pdf

Just a thought ... though, I also appreciate the freedom of style to submit what the

contributor wishes to and is judged by his/her peers.

My take,

There some good photos here, but there not all photos valid /fitting for a calendar.

Suggestions, when u make a photography, vs taking a picture, have a idea what you want it to look like and where u want the center of attention to be

Example for the above photo, it would look much better if u had cropped out the right side,( yes i see u wanted to include the white Buddha but it detracts from the dancers) included the tops of the temple and not so much street, took two steps to the left and moved in or zoomed in closer, used a smaller depth of field to soften the background and waited till the dancer on the left front looked at you (she would have)

• Like 1