Stabilizing that image

Since I need a new, proper tripod now I've done a bit of research on them to make an informed decision.

Image stabilization is a very important part of photography. The standard built in mechanisms of course are shutter speed (aperture, ISO dependent) and if there is IS (image stabilization) built into the camera or lenses. Sometimes those are not enough when the light is too low or using that long zoom. Tripods/mono-pods/etc. are the tools needed to overcome these issues. There are also 'tricks' when in a bind and need something quick and dirty. Examples are string-pods, rubber band stabilization or proper bracing against an available support either body braced or camera braced.

Tripods can be obtained as a complete system, that is head and tripod legs, or as components such as choosing your own tripod and separately the head(s). Tripod materials come in a variety of choices depending on budget, stability, strength and weight. Aluminum (probably the cheapest), alloy (titanium, magnesium, aluminum), carbon fiber, even wood. smile.png

I found there are a variety of different categories of tripods and heads depending on cost, personal requirements such as weight/height/features, video or photo taking. These are different types of heads but there are other more specialized ones also.

Ball heads

0da984e8f872c0dd28db9b9382db345c.jpg

Pan & Tilt heads

344538575d2ceeaec3338f6fa06cc9d6.jpg

Gimbal heads

a8631b53fae0aa2f9fbdf14c2fb3d6c2.jpg

Fluid heads

7267a2137f9513b5ef68e2dea067bbfc.jpg

panoramic heads (normally need an additional mounting adapter)

388422.jpg

Video heads (fluid combined with pan/tilt)

688b13de0d3f66351603c7d02363371d.jpg

Pistol grip heads

06b5c10189ae642bb8aeb09b3b2b423a.jpg

Some details of each type shown here - http://www.adorama.com/alc/0008168/article/Buying-Guide-Tripod-Heads

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plus, use a shutter release cable or set the camera on delay when you take the shot; so you are not stabbing the shutter release button and adding shake at the point of exposure.

Good point. Also I have one of these (wireless remote) that comes in handy and performs as an interval timer also.

10643638784_06a5537f1d_z.jpg

• Like 1

Use the hook under the tripod centre column to hang your lens bag or another weight (be careful not to exceed the weight limit of the tripod).

Using_a_tripod_DSLR_tips_DCM111.supp_han

A plastic bag filled with dirt or sand also works wonders. Just remember to take the

plastic bag home or dispose of properly after you finish the shoot. Please don't toss it

to the side...that's not cool.

Thanks Tywais for bringing up the subject of camera support.

This is often neglected in today's world because almost every

camera made has some sort of image stabilisation system built

into it or the lens. This is a nice feature but users should never

depend on it...especially for exposures longer than 1/30th/second.

I say 1/30th because I'm good to that speed...anything slower &

I need some support! A decent cable release is also essential

and they come in a variety of lengths, capabilities (radio controlled

or mechanical etc) and makes. For all photogs here..if you don't

have a set of mechanical legs for your gear...go out & but a set

(legs & head) that fits your budget and use it. If you can also afford

a monopod get one too when you don't want to carry a tripod around.

One doesn't need a tripod only to use some massive telephoto...

it will stabilise that lovely sunset your wide angle & your eyes are

thinking of capturing.

In summary, I reckon this lot should do it:

1. Weight the tripod;

2. Tighten the head up;

3. Timer delay on, minimum 2 second;

4. Mirror lock-up on, shake reduction off (on the Pentax the stabilisation is in the body and it's recommended this is switched off ironically if using a tripod);

5. Manual focus;

6. Wireless or wired remote;

7. If close to a road or source of transient vibration, wait for vibration to stop before pressing shutter button.

Thanks Tywais for bringing up the subject of camera support.

This is often neglected in today's world because almost every

camera made has some sort of image stabilisation system built

into it or the lens. This is a nice feature but users should never

depend on it...especially for exposures longer than 1/30th/second.

I say 1/30th because I'm good to that speed...anything slower &

I need some support! A decent cable release is also essential

and they come in a variety of lengths, capabilities (radio controlled

or mechanical etc) and makes. For all photogs here..if you don't

have a set of mechanical legs for your gear...go out & but a set

(legs & head) that fits your budget and use it. If you can also afford

a monopod get one too when you don't want to carry a tripod around.

One doesn't need a tripod only to use some massive telephoto...

it will stabilise that lovely sunset your wide angle & your eyes are

thinking of capturing.

Giottos, Benro and 3 Legged Thing et.al all do transfunctional tripods now which include a monopod. They've come right down in price now too.

Benro_-_A2692TB1e.jpg

Edited by MJP

"4. Mirror lock-up on, shake reduction off (on the Pentax the stabilisation is in the body and it's recommended this is switched off ironically if using a tripod)"

Or buy a camera without a mirror.... ;-)

That means another £10,000 on all manner of max apertures and focal lengths, no ta!

A plastic bag filled with dirt or sand also works wonders. Just remember to take the

plastic bag home or dispose of properly after you finish the shoot. Please don't toss it

to the side...that's not cool.

hehe... i've almost always got my backpack full of gear hooked under the head to keep that sucker pulled heavily down toward the centre of the Earth. wink.png

Hey...I don't know about Giottto's but Benro's are quite good!

Used one a couple times...worked as advertised. Then checked

up on Benro...China (ok no probs with that)....Gitzo direct copies

(also no probs with that)...price...much better than a Gitzo! If I was

looking to buy a set of legs (photo related lads...photo related)

I'd have a Benro..

Hey...I don't know about Giottto's but Benro's are quite good!

Used one a couple times...worked as advertised. Then checked

up on Benro...China (ok no probs with that)....Gitzo direct copies

(also no probs with that)...price...much better than a Gitzo! If I was

looking to buy a set of legs (photo related lads...photo related)

I'd have a Benro..

Benro are easy to find here, very popular. I've handled them at WEX Photographic in the UK, were good quality.

Giottos a couple of years ago were getting all the top reviews and weren't that pricey. Again, tried at WEX, very good.

Gitzo are ludicrously priced. They are nice though.

I have this, with the AirHed 1 . . .

http://www.3leggedthing.com/brianevo2.html

The head is okay, but you wouldn't want to put a big telephoto on it. The leg locks are very poor quality.

I have a Brian too. I like the fact that it extends to a good height and the head is OK for the weight of my camera; but the pieces that slide out to control the leg splay are poorly designed; or at least their retaining bolts are. They have to be a little loose so the pieces can slide in and out; but eventually the bolt will unwind itself.

I have a Brian too. I like the fact that it extends to a good height and the head is OK for the weight of my camera; but the pieces that slide out to control the leg splay are poorly designed; or at least their retaining bolts are. They have to be a little loose so the pieces can slide in and out; but eventually the bolt will unwind itself.

I hate the thing. Hate it. Thought it was Made in England . . . nope . . . China . . . and it shows. I never use the maximum height or use it inverted. Pointless to me. The leg braces (spider) are as soft as a mild cheddar cheese. It looks nice. It ain't nice.

If I can find where to get an Induro over here I will look at them instead.

Really Right Stuff are reportedly some of the best tripods but difficult to find and very, very expensive.

I hate the thing. Hate it. Thought it was Made in England . . . nope . . . China . . . and it shows. I never use the maximum height or use it inverted. Pointless to me. The leg braces (spider) are as soft as a mild cheddar cheese. It looks nice. It ain't nice.

Really Right Stuff are reportedly some of the best tripods but difficult to find and very, very expensive.

For Induro try here....U may get a surprise!

Thailand

Vantage Marketing Co., Ltd

25/16 Moo 12, Bung Kham Proi, Lum Luk Ka

Pathum Thani, Thailand 12150

T. +66 2 152 7261-2

[email protected]

www.vantagemarketing.co.th

• Like 1

But if you want a real tripod, nothing beats a surveyors tripod. Heavy and cumbersome, but my engineers use these at work and mount robotic theodolite heads on them, measurements to within a millimetre across hundreds of metres distance. They can be found for around £100 too, very cheap option if you want a heavy tripod. Leica too!

leica_gst05l_aluminium_tripod.jpg

Surveyors_tripod_head.jpg

Use one of these for an adapter . . . .

http://www.manfrotto.co.uk/5-8-survey-tripod-adapter

1007955.jpg

More on this here . . .

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/article_pages/hardware/gigapan_tripod.html

Edited by MJP

For Induro try here....U may get a surprise!

Thailand

Vantage Marketing Co., Ltd

25/16 Moo 12, Bung Kham Proi, Lum Luk Ka

Pathum Thani, Thailand 12150

T. +66 2 152 7261-2

[email protected]

www.vantagemarketing.co.th

biggrin.png

Ta very muchly!

Tywais... i honestly wouldn't play the chic, must have, boutique 'name game' when it comes to tripods.... makes....models....etc.....they're all basically the same bar the price tag.

i'd rather spend more money on a real quality head, which is far more important, and can be mounted on virtually any tripod you choose....be it an 'ikea' or a 'ferrari'

@ Goshawk...

Your logic is good Goshawk no probs with that. Until a locking mech on a leg

fails (quick release or screw down) and your kit smacks the ground or

something else decides to quit at the worst moment. A decent set of legs

made by a reputable manufacturer will help prevent this but not entirely

eliminate a possible failure....sods law et al...aka Murphy's Law.

A friend in SA uses a surveyors tripod...2 stage jober which weighs a ton

plus a video head; Sachtler Video 20, for both video & stills work he does.

He heaves the legs into his truck when done shooting but babies that

fluid head...meaning that before he heaves the legs into the truck he

removes the head and places it into a good sturdy transport case.

He's had the legs for almost 30 years...only had one turn lock mech on

one leg replaced. The head is about 15 years old...no probs either,

then again it's a top branded piece of kit which he has serviced

regularly.

A general interest note to all here...

When you have your kit attached to your tripod...NEVER step away from

that tripod more than half an arms length at ANY time! All it takes is for

one leg lock mech to fail and the tripod starts to tilt and....it's all gonna be

pricey to have repaired. Trust me...I have one personal experience issue

in this involving a brand new Vinten Vision 10 head/leg set and a Sony

BVW 570ISP BetacamSP camera....Cost me some lost work and cost

Vinten a new head/legs set plus a new BVW570ISP camera.

Tywais... i honestly wouldn't play the chic, must have, boutique 'name game' when it comes to tripods.... makes....models....etc.....they're all basically the same bar the price tag.

i'd rather spend more money on a real quality head, which is far more important, and can be mounted on virtually any tripod you choose....be it an 'ikea' or a 'ferrari'

Putting a costly head on a flimsy tripod is like putting lipstick on a pig.

Besides being mechanically sound, a good tripod should be rock solid and not prone to vibration. The locking mechanisms on the legs should keep the legs from slipping just as a good tripod head should not be prone to slipping. For travelers, weight is a consideration and a light weight tripod is a real real plus especially when you are lugging a pack of lenses and cameras with you. Finally, a good tripod, like a good tripod head is an investment that will hopefully last the owner many many years.

Conclusion - both are important and having quality in one and going budget in the other is not wise - IN MY OPINION.

• Like 2