% of Thais liking/disliking Farangs

After having lived in Rural-Thailand, I would like to share my observations about Thai's liking or disliking Farangs. I found that about

1/3 of Thai's like Farangs and are not hesitating to seek contact with them.

1/3 of Thai's are neutral (live and let live. As long as the Farang dosn't bother us, we will not bother him.)

but:

1/3 of Thai's seem to have a fundamental dislike of Farangs. = No smile, unemotional faces of stone, services to be provided to the Farang at the store, restaurant etc, are done mechanically. To a point, where a could shiver goes down my spine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeking enlightenment, I went to the "first-family" in Town, (their children all university-educated and speak good english). Their explanation: Some Thai's will never accept the presence of any kind of foreigners on their soil. Thailand is for Thai's. Foreigners only come here to steal our land and everything in between. They pointed out to me that this segment of Thai-society consists mostly of "people with very little education".

I asked, if in case of serious "civil-unrest" and the "Thailand is for Thai's" crowd sees their chance to clarify this Farang-Issue once and for all, what should I do here in the sticks? They advised me to come to their Resort without further delay. = You will be safe there. That's reassuring.

It's my rural-Thai take of things and can not be compared to "Tourist-Hub's."

Any similar observations in your part of rural-Thailand ?

Cheers.

• Like 1

My rural area is much like your's. but a little different.

I feel like 40% very friendly, 45% neutral, 10% not friendly and about 5% openly dislike farangs.

Your statement about education rings true.

I also find that those with nothing tend toblame others.

This seems to be common in any society.

" It can't be my fault I am a loser! I know, it must be his fault!"

"Where's the lao kaow?"

• Like 2

I have a different thought on this matter.

The majority of Thai's are completely indifferent to Westerners, much in the same way they are indifferent to each other.

It's only when our paths cross that we are dealt with based on merit (i.e. look, language, mannerisms etc)...

Its the same for Thai on Thai interactions.

There are also a number of Thai's who's exposure to Westerners may sway their opinion of us in either a negative or positive way. But for the most part I believe Thai's don't give us a passing thought.

Thus: If a Thai were to ask a Thai if they like Westerners I imagine the majority answering "I don't know"... because they never really thought about it before.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

Living in a pretty touristy area I would say:

90 % of the population here had no opinion not for, not against but no one hesitating to seek contact.
10 % of the population had an opinion but only nodded their heads, still didn't hesitate seeking contact.
(that was 40 years ago, population approximately 280 and used to be a kind of ethnical refuge island )

Today I would say:
( Population approximately 60'000 during "No Season" to around 180'00 during "High Season )

75% of Thai's dislike Farangs but definitely do not hesitating to seek contact with them
( The ones you're part of the family until they sold you their land but then don't want you to have it )

of those I would say 5% dislike Farangs or Burmese and do not want contact with them unless necessary.
( although here that's rather the upper class who thinks like that )

25% of Thai's are neutral (live and let live. As long as the Farang dosn't bother us, we will not bother him.)

of those maybe 5 % accept a Farang-Kee-Nok as part of their families. Help you without asking for anything in return.
Are compassionate, can talk about ANYTHING, are fun, mostly non judgmental and don't say every two minutes
"You farang, you don't understand"

For sure, they do have very different views of us, depending if we are a tourist farang, business farang, retired farang,
married with a local girl, married with a northern girl , married with a girl from Isaan, etc.

"Seeking enlightenment, I went to the "first-family" in Town, (their children all university-educated and speak good english). Their explanation: Some Thai's will never accept the presence of any kind of foreigners on their soil."

A character trait that's not confined to Thailand or the Thais.

• Like 1

I believe 20-30% of people just have an attitude with other people?I don't believe they really care about nationally etc.Thats just my belief.I know in big cities all over the world many people get tired of seeing so many people.Where in small towns communities not so much.

After spending 10 years working in VietNam, Thailand and Iran and travelling around the world several times, I chose Thailand to retire. I felt more welcomed by the Thais than anybody else. Is that welcome genuine? In most cases probably not, but I don't care. I feel that being an English speaking farang in Thailand puts me in one of the best minority group categories possible.

After living in rural Thailand for the first year and a half, I finally moved back to BKK. In rural Thailand, I was simply a walking ATM machine. In BKK, I'm either too hiso - (aka aforementioned ATM,) or NOT hiso enough. Some Thais can show how superior they are by publicly snubbing me, - as mentioned in the OP and the "sending a cold shiver down my spine." I am still here in Thailand though because the vast majority of Thais are as indifferent toward me as they are to each other. I have met a few Thais that have gotten to know me a little and are tolerant, accepting and gracious with no financial dependency- like most of my wife's family! wai2.gif

• Like 1