Cannot get a taxi anymore at 3rd Floor at Suvarnabhumi

messi

I'll probably get stick but if you cannot afford the 50 Baht Airport Surcharge or whatever it is now, then you really shouldn't be in Thailand.

Nothing to do with manipulation as suggested earlier. Perhaps these same manipulators would like to cover the fee that London Taxi Drivers pay to pick up at Heathrow ??

Principle is identical.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again it is not the 50 Baht surcharge, as I always gave the drivers I took at the departure floor more than 50 Baht tip. We are talking here about getting a taxi fast and not get any trouble when the driver suddenly start asking for a fix fare. If the official queue was managed properly (and we already know this will never be the case), it will be the end of the case here. Why so many people, Thai and foreigners used to go to to the departure area to get a taxi, well, most of them not to save the 50 Baht.

• Like 2

I had some time to kill at the airport today, so I thought I would walk out to the 4th floor departures area and have a look at the new barrier system. Here is what I noticed:

- Walking past the barriers down the pavement past door #1 really does not look like a good or even safe option to me. There is no footpath, and there is a curve leading into it, so you could get hit by a speeding car as you crossed two lanes. The other end past door #10 looks even tricker. Plus there are security officers walking around who would probably order you back, and actually for valid safety reasons.

- There are guards posted at each turnstile, and some turnstiles had two. The turnstile design is such that it is easy to get past the turnstiles going out when they are positioned in a certain way, but the guard usually will not let you.

- I watched several people walk up to the security officers. For foreigners, they would stop people and point downwards (to the taxi queue downstairs). For a few Thais, the guards would stop them at first, some words were exchanged, and the guard actually let them pass through the turnstile to the waiting taxis.

- There are still loads of taxis waiting for passengers on the outer lane, and nobody is chasing them away. I saw some taxis waving at passengers and telling them how to get past the turnstile. Only thing is, very few people made it past guards. I sort of feel sorry for these drivers who are looking at driving all the way back to the city with no fare.

- Some guards looked more "flexible" than others. Guess you could try your luck. Or twenty baht?

- The turnstile down by door #10 was the only one not manned by guard. It would be very easy to go through the turnstile if there is no guard to stop you. But maybe the door #10 guard was just on a toilet break.

All in all, it looks like anyone wanting a taxi will have to go downstairs. Interestingly, there are many more guards now, and they stop traffic at the zebra crossings to help arriving passengers cross safely. That was never the case before, and it was sometimes dangerous to cross since nearly every Thai driver ignores pedestrian crossings. Interestingly, it appears that getting people to use the taxi queue downstairs justified adding the crossing guards; however, before the turnstile system, pedestrian safety was not important enough to hire crossing guards.

With the added personnel and all the chrome barriers and turnstiles, AOT have invested quite a lot in this system, so I don't see it going away any time soon. Now aren't you happy to see that your increased airport tax is going to good use and supporting the taxi mafia downstairs?

Thank you, this is great, informative and good observations.

We'll have to see if the guards remain and it is not surprising that it does seem that some thais are allowed through. Some decent thai by a foreigner with a plea of the need to return quickly to family given the long queue downstairs may work.

Point noted that circumventing the barrier at Gate #1 is probably not the easiest. Perhaps, the other end for those that are keen. All in all, very good info.

Once again it is not the 50 Baht surcharge, as I always gave the drivers I took at the departure floor more than 50 Baht tip. We are talking here about getting a taxi fast and not get any trouble when the driver suddenly start asking for a fix fare. If the official queue was managed properly (and we already know this will never be the case), it will be the end of the case here. Why so many people, Thai and foreigners used to go to to the departure area to get a taxi, well, most of them not to save the 50 Baht.

That is exactly why I always used taxis at 4th floor departures. Much faster, zero wait time, plus I could select the taxi and driver that I wanted. Never a problem with using the meter or other swindles, but then I suppose that most of us would agree that taxi drivers in the airport queue do not represent the highest quality at any airport in the world. And not just all that - I found some very happy drivers for whom I had helped make their day by having a fare back in town. And I tipped nearly all of them equal to or greater than the 50 baht airport taxi fee.

• Like 1

From the airport, I have taken the airport express bus once (unfortunately, they don't have them there anymore); the other times (and there have been so many of them), I have always taken a cab at the taxi-stand. I guess I have been lucky that except once, it took me less than 5 minutes to hop on a taxi (and the one time that look longer, it took around 15 minutes, I think).

But, now that at least 2 people here have warned, I shall be careful not to take an old taxi because of the risk of a rigged meter (how common is that, guys ? ). If an old taxi comes my way, I guess I shall say something like 'Hey, sorry, man, I always enjoy taking a brightly colored taxi (which most new cabs are)' or something like that, to its driver; lol.

Edited by JemJem

I also did a complete check at Level 4 today.

As Bubba noted there are guards at each turnstile actively discouraging potential turnstile hoppers.

But there were taxis waiting at each one having dropped off passengers - presumably because some way or other passengers were getting to them.

I'll probably get stick but if you cannot afford the 50 Baht Airport Surcharge or whatever it is now, then you really shouldn't be in Thailand.

Nothing to do with manipulation as suggested earlier. Perhaps these same manipulators would like to cover the fee that London Taxi Drivers pay to pick up at Heathrow ??

Principle is identical.

As has been repeatedly pointed out for many of us it has nothiing to with B50 but everything to do with avoiding an unnecessary queue (that can take longer than the actual journey. If you really cant understand that simple simple point then with such limited mental facilities 'you really shouldn't be in Thailand'.

Drivers will always complain had a driver bring me to bang yai 450 bt fare but he was not happy as it was far and i spoke thai so a fixed price was out of the question.

Its just cazy far is not good close is not good... If you don't want to transport passengers why become a taxi driver.

This was at the taxi Que.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Must be really new, as just flew in last weekend and were no any turn styles at that time I normally grab a taxi at departures, as if using normal taxi stand, drivers are not to happy to get me.... Only live 5 min from the airport, so they end up waiting in line for a THB 60 fare.... Would normaly hear them complain, as the want to go all the way into the city so the fare will be higher Although the guys upstairs are always happy to take me regardless, as they expected to leave empty Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Really?? I am on the total west of Bangkok and some taxi driver complain that it is sooooo far away.

Drivers will always complain had a driver bring me to bang yai 450 bt fare but he was not happy as it was far and i spoke thai so a fixed price was out of the question.

Its just cazy far is not good close is not good... If you don't want to transport passengers why become a taxi driver.

This was at the taxi Que.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Now considering from the usual taxi driver that is specialized on tourists...not the one who look at other places for customer:

You don't become taxi driver because you want to transport people.

You become it, because you didn't learn much and you dream of coming to Bangkok for some easy money.

If you want to go far away by the meter and speak Thai you are a bad customer.

A good customer is an elderly couple, first time in Thailand which is happy that they get to the hotel in Bangkok for just 1000 Baht because in New York it would cost much more.

And because they are so happy they book it tomorrow for 2000 Baht for half the day to show them some good shops with some bargains as the driver can recommend some.

Unfortunately such customer get more rare since everyone has internet now and the world gets more international.

• Like 1

I fly out of BKK a few times a year, I have never waited on line more than five minutes. In fact, last two times we met people at the airport, we were able to get them in taxis in minutes.

That stunt works for some airports, Swampy was never one.

All for b50, even I'm not that skint.

Question for the mental giants among us. Where is this "unnecessary queue" one seems hell-bent on avoiding?

Not sure what you're on about, but during peak arrivals, early morning with a big bank of heavies, and late evening with another shot, it is not unusual to wait in one of the two official taxi queues - and sometimes only one is operating - on level 1 for 15 - 25 minutes. Sometimes the wait is just painful as there are not enough taxis, and the process seems a bit arcane, so I've waited up to 30 minutes.

After a potential wait at Immigration and/or baggage claim, then having to wend your way down a level on the travelator, many of us may not want to wait even longer in a taxi queue.

• Like 1

Question for the mental giants among us. Where is this "unnecessary queue" one seems hell-bent on avoiding?

Not sure what you're on about, but during peak arrivals, early morning with a big bank of heavies, and late evening with another shot, it is not unusual to wait in one of the two official taxi queues - and sometimes only one is operating - on level 1 for 15 - 25 minutes. Sometimes the wait is just painful as there are not enough taxis, and the process seems a bit arcane, so I've waited up to 30 minutes.

After a potential wait at Immigration and/or baggage claim, then having to wend your way down a level on the travelator, many of us may not want to wait even longer in a taxi queue.

So there's peak-time congestion? What's new here? I have also waited for up to 20 minutes for a taxi at that (for some) pearl of SE Asia aviation... Changi. Their taxis cost more too and the airport surcharge is automatically in the meter flag fall.

I guess once one has a good 'handle' on the new turnstyles and manage to catch an 'illegal' taxi upstairs, then you can sit in good old Bangkok traffic gridlock for another 20-30 minutes. Certainly seems the case after 5PM when even AoT limo's (the cheapest ones) are sold out because they are either stuck in traffic going into town or coming back out. That is hardly AoT's fault.

Now some that live near the airport may have a valid whine but anyone going much beyond the highway 9 ring-road and onto the elevated, that's just life in the big mango..

So there's peak-time congestion? What's new here?

Well nothing, really, but apparently, for you it seemed novel as you inquired about the taxi queue.

Trying to make the entire journey as short as possible is not a challenging concept to understand. As one cannot affect the traffic situation at any given moment, one is left with limited methods to shorten an overall journey. Reducing the time one waits for a taxi can, at certain times of the day, significantly impact the overall travel time from the airport to your destination in metro-Bangkok. The fact that a lot of air-crew, domiciled here, use level 4 often seems to be an indication that this practice can reduce travel time.

This thread is more about the new taxi situation on level 4 at SBIA/BKK rather than SIN, but feel free to prattle on about any other airports/taxis. whistling.gif

Correct...local crew often seen using that system and of course it is for speed rather than 50 B. The airport is hugely dysfunctional as it is without yet another barrier in place to slow it down even further

Well nothing, really, but apparently, for you it seemed novel as you inquired about the taxi queue.

Trying to make the entire journey as short as possible is not a challenging concept to understand. As one cannot affect the traffic situation at any given moment, one is left with limited methods to shorten an overall journey. Reducing the time one waits for a taxi can, at certain times of the day, significantly impact the overall travel time from the airport to your destination in metro-Bangkok. The fact that a lot of air-crew, domiciled here, use level 4 often seems to be an indication that this practice can reduce travel time.

This thread is more about the new taxi situation on level 4 at SBIA/BKK rather than SIN, but feel free to prattle on about any other airports/taxis. whistling.gif

Correct...local crew often seen using that system and of course it is for speed rather than 50 B. The airport is hugely dysfunctional as it is without yet another barrier in place to slow it down even further

Am I the only one that thinks if passengers stopped trying to beat the 50 Baht queue by going the level 4 route, the more taxis will be available at the taxi stands.

Just a thought since I don't have that problem, since I always have transport waiting for me.

Yermanee wai.gif

Now, I may have been extremely lucky and the dozen or so times I have gotten in a taxi downstairs, I never had to wait. On the few occasions when they looked scarce, I went and caught the train. When I had a schedule to meet, or wanted a more relaxed experience, I took an AoT limo. There's choices folks!

Your perceptions are based on a very limited experience. "Dozen or so times....."

Again, the point for those of us who have exited the airport hundreds of times over the years is that we know the general patterns. We want to save time and get home or to our destination without waiting in a queue. Either at DMK or since 2006 at BKK I never, ever used the AOT taxi queue as I knew that I would save time avoiding it. Even now at DMK some people wait upwards of an hour for a taxi in the queue. (I'd be back home, showered and be eating dinner by the time they get a taxi)

Granted that the queuing system has improved in the last 12 months but there will never be a time prior to the installation of the turnstiles when it was ever quicker to use the AOT queue. That is a pretty simple reality to understand for most.

Another priority for me is to always take a brand new taxi for reasons of comfort and no chance of a driver attempting to use a higher rate on the meter (as I explained previously). You don't get that choice in the AOT queue, mostly. Since the ARL opened I nearly always take the train to the CAT.

That is our choice as you rightly point out. It is your choice to waste your time, wait in a queue and suffer the lottery of getting whatever taxi you are allocated. But again, you have only exited a "dozen or so times" so you have a very limited understanding of how it has worked over the years.

• Like 1

Your perceptions are based on a very limited experience. "Dozen or so times....."

Again, the point for those of us who have exited the airport hundreds of times over the years is that we know the general patterns. We want to save time and get home or to our destination without waiting in a queue. Either at DMK or since 2006 at BKK I never, ever used the AOT taxi queue as I knew that I would save time avoiding it.

I'm a bit confused here.

You claim NanLaew has limited experience and then you admit to never, ever having used the official Taxi cueue since 2006.

That's over 7 years of NO experience at all yet you know everything there is to know about it. blink.png

There is nothing wrong with trying to save on expenses and maybe saving some time in the proces but if you promote to do this against existing rules and regulations

it becomes an entirely different proposition.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

• Like 1

Again, the point for those of us who have exited the airport hundreds of times over the years is that we know the general patterns. We want to save time and get home or to our destination without waiting in a queue. Either at DMK or since 2006 at BKK I never, ever used the AOT taxi queue as I knew that I would save time avoiding it.

I'm a bit confused here.

You claim NanLaew has limited experience and then you admit to never, ever having used the official Taxi cueue since 2006.

That's over 7 years of NO experience at all yet you know everything there is to know about it. blink.png

There is nothing wrong with trying to save on expenses and maybe saving some time in the proces but if you promote to do this against existing rules and regulations

it becomes an entirely different proposition.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

Here's adding +1 to your 2 cents: In 2006, BKK had just opened. Ya figure some things may have gotten dialed in over the last 7 years?

Suvarnabhumi was officially opened for limited domestic flight service on 15 September 2006, and opened for most domestic and all international commercial flights on 28 September 2006 (Source, Wikipedia)

In (only) dozens of inbound trips the past 3 years or so, I have never waited over 5 minutes for a legal taxi in the queues. Maybe that's just luck.

I also have to wonder how one would have managed hundreds of trips in the last 3 months of 2006. Perhaps some exaggeration?

Edited by impulse

^ My best guess is that "since 2006" means in the last seven years - BTW, quite by accident I flew out of Suvarnabhumi at 06:30 on 28 Sep. 2006 (UA: BKK-NRT), and that sometimes people check out the official taxi queue, perhaps on their way down to the SARL or seeing a long line and no taxis, head back up to level 4. Again, quite easy to comprehend, but understand we have many here who are challenged by the simplest of concepts, or who do not understand English.

I have used level 4 to grab a taxi, sometimes going to nearby Prawet, or because the official taxi queue is swamped, with a 30+ minute wait. But then, a few years ago during a temporary crack-down, I saw officials pulling people out of taxis on level 4, so not wanting to waste time going up, then down again, just head to level 1 now, and suffer the potential wait, which is 5 min. minimum, 30 minutes maximum. Yes, I often arrive at peak times. And, many air crew, who I have known for years, living here also head up to level 4 to save time.

Not sure how we got down this rat-hole, OK, I do know, this is ThaiVisa, but I think it is safe to say that most people who head up to level 4 do this to save time, rather than money.

• Like 1

^Out of interest Lomo, I also took the 2nd last international flight from DMK in Sept 2006, an EK flight (have a pic somewhere of the old clocks, DMK airside with the date and time). We were actually informed upon check in that it was to be the last flight but when I checked the following day it turned out that there was a later flight at 4am that I think had been delayed.

"since 2006 at BKK", not sure how someone interps this to mean only 3 months but there you go....

I'm a bit confused here.

You claim NanLaew has limited experience and then you admit to never, ever having used the official Taxi cueue since 2006. That's over 7 years of NO experience at all yet you know everything there is to know about it. blink.png

There is nothing wrong with trying to save on expenses and maybe saving some time in the proces but if you promote to do this against existing rules and regulations it becomes an entirely different proposition.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

I do like your posts Yermanee as they are usually insightful and well thought out.

Firstly, what rules and regulations? Are you suggesting that there are AOT rules and regulations that are prescriptive in that pax can only take a taxi from the AOT queue? ie. if someone doesn't use the AOT taxi queue on Level 1 then they are subject to fine and/or arrest? Obviously, there are regulations that apply to vehicles as to where they can enter & park etc but not pax as far as I am aware.

Secondly, yes fair enough to query the 7 years at BKK of not using the AOT taxi queue. That doesn't mean that I still do not check it out from time to time. Hence, the reason why in the same post I stated, "Granted that the queuing system has improved in the last 12 months".

I do have a good grasp of busy pax patterns and the transport options at BKK airport. I try to keep abreast of what is going on transport wise including at the Transport Center side which most posters have probably never even visited. I could also tell you what the latest pax figures for the ARL are but that doesn't mean that I take it every day.

Again, the whole discussion is about saving time. A few people have expressed that in recent times and in their limited experience they have had no probs with the taxi queue. That is fine, no one is stating people should not use the taxi queue. It is all about choice. Even with the logical statement, " but there will never be a time prior to the installation of the turnstiles when it was ever quicker to use the AOT queue", I respect others choice to use Level 1.

As Lomo as pointed out, BKK based air crew needing a taxi mostly used Level 4. Many of us who have used the airport for years, prefer Level 4. We do that as it saves time AND in my case (a point no one mentions not counters) I like to chose a new taxi when I take a taxi for the previously articulated reasons. AND AGAIN, since the ARL opened I rarely take any taxi from the airport.

If you are happy with Level 1, stick with it.

If you are happy with Level 4, stick with it if the new turnstiles don't impede you. If they have the intended effect then many problem will change to Level 1.

If you are happy with the ARL, keep using it.

The most important thing is that people have options and that they are aware of the other options. That includes the many other public transport options.

^Out of interest Lomo, I also took the 2nd last international flight from DMK in Sept 2006, an EK flight (have a pic somewhere of the old clocks, DMK airside with the date and time). We were actually informed upon check in that it was to be the last flight but when I checked the following day it turned out that there was a later flight at 4am that I think had been delayed.

"since 2006 at BKK", not sure how someone interps this to mean only 3 months but there you go....

I'm a bit confused here.

You claim NanLaew has limited experience and then you admit to never, ever having used the official Taxi cueue since 2006. That's over 7 years of NO experience at all yet you know everything there is to know about it. blink.png

There is nothing wrong with trying to save on expenses and maybe saving some time in the proces but if you promote to do this against existing rules and regulations it becomes an entirely different proposition.

Just my 2 cents

Yermanee wai.gif

I do like your posts Yermanee as they are usually insightful and well thought out.

Firstly, what rules and regulations? Are you suggesting that there are AOT rules and regulations that are prescriptive in that pax can only take a taxi from the AOT queue? ie. if someone doesn't use the AOT taxi queue on Level 1 then they are subject to fine and/or arrest? Obviously, there are regulations that apply to vehicles as to where they can enter & park etc but not pax as far as I am aware.

Secondly, yes fair enough to query the 7 years at BKK of not using the AOT taxi queue. That doesn't mean that I still do not check it out from time to time. Hence, the reason why in the same post I stated, "Granted that the queuing system has improved in the last 12 months".

I do have a good grasp of busy pax patterns and the transport options at BKK airport. I try to keep abreast of what is going on transport wise including at the Transport Center side which most posters have probably never even visited. I could also tell you what the latest pax figures for the ARL are but that doesn't mean that I take it every day.

Again, the whole discussion is about saving time. A few people have expressed that in recent times and in their limited experience they have had no probs with the taxi queue. That is fine, no one is stating people should not use the taxi queue. It is all about choice. Even with the logical statement, " but there will never be a time prior to the installation of the turnstiles when it was ever quicker to use the AOT queue", I respect others choice to use Level 1.

As Lomo as pointed out, BKK based air crew needing a taxi mostly used Level 4. Many of us who have used the airport for years, prefer Level 4. We do that as it saves time AND in my case (a point no one mentions not counters) I like to chose a new taxi when I take a taxi for the previously articulated reasons. AND AGAIN, since the ARL opened I rarely take any taxi from the airport.

If you are happy with Level 1, stick with it.

If you are happy with Level 4, stick with it if the new turnstiles don't impede you. If they have the intended effect then many problem will change to Level 1.

If you are happy with the ARL, keep using it.

The most important thing is that people have options and that they are aware of the other options. That includes the many other public transport options.

I said that I was confused by your arguments and somehow they rubbed me the wrong way. If I offended you that was not my intention.

Let's leave at that, this has gone on long enough.

Yermanee wai.gif

Its not about B50 its about not waiting in a pointless shambolic 'queue' for 30+ minutes.

I fly in and out of swampy 1- 3 times a month fr last 5 years. I have never waited more than 10 mins for a taxi in the official taxi location ( it's normally 2-3 minutes )also never been scammed getting taxi there. Also a bit sad to see middle aged and above men complaining about 50 baht, surely at that stage in life we have some savings tucked away for such extravagances ?:-)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app