Cannot get a taxi anymore at 3rd Floor at Suvarnabhumi

messi

Actually I think the whole point of the new system in Level 4 is the traffic pile up caused by the taxi's waiting for customers. Sometimes on arriving to the departure zone this has been a serious problem, and I like the fact that something is finally being done about it.

As of taxi queue at level 1 I think it works pretty well, so why bother with level 4.

• Like 1

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have thought that with the opening of the airport rail link, few people heading into the city would bother going by taxi anymore? The airport rail link is almost always faster and you don't have to wait for 30 mins in line before catching it. Also, you have the option of a city train or the faster express train.

The vast majority of arrivals into Bangkok via Suvarnabhumi seem to go into the city. For those of us who don't live in the city centre, catching a cab directly from the airport makes sense, but not to those heading to Siam etc. I have been refused service going by taxi to destinations served by the skytrain, but it's my fault for being lazy. The taxi driver was doing me a favour as I ended up getting to Siam more cheaply and a lot quicker too once he dropped me off at Mo Chit coming from north of Lad Praow.

Of course most of the time I drive and thus don't catch cabs at all (whether from the airport or from anywhere else), but there are better methods of catching cabs at the airport than waiting in line for 30 mins. Only once have I caught a cab downstairs and fortunately I only had to wait 2 mins. It's always possible to catch a bus to the transport centre or a train one station to Lad Krabang and then catch a cab from there without all the hassle and you can save 35 Baht too (no 50 Baht airport fee - 15 Baht for the ticket from Suvarnabhumi to Lad Krabang).

Actually I think the whole point of the new system in Level 4 is the traffic pile up caused by the taxi's waiting for customers. Sometimes on arriving to the departure zone this has been a serious problem, and I like the fact that something is finally being done about it.

As of taxi queue at level 1 I think it works pretty well, so why bother with level 4.

I agree with you 100%

I've never had a problem getting a taxi from arrivals. I feel sorry for the taxi drivers who wait in line for hours to collect passengers at arrivals only for the cheats to block the arrival area to collect the cheapskates trying to save 50baht.

I would have thought that with the opening of the airport rail link, few people heading into the city would bother going by taxi anymore? The airport rail link is almost always faster and you don't have to wait for 30 mins in line before catching it. Also, you have the option of a city train or the faster express train.

The vast majority of arrivals into Bangkok via Suvarnabhumi seem to go into the city. For those of us who don't live in the city centre, catching a cab directly from the airport makes sense, but not to those heading to Siam etc. I have been refused service going by taxi to destinations served by the skytrain, but it's my fault for being lazy. The taxi driver was doing me a favour as I ended up getting to Siam more cheaply and a lot quicker too once he dropped me off at Mo Chit coming from north of Lad Praow.

Of course most of the time I drive and thus don't catch cabs at all (whether from the airport or from anywhere else), but there are better methods of catching cabs at the airport than waiting in line for 30 mins. Only once have I caught a cab downstairs and fortunately I only had to wait 2 mins. It's always possible to catch a bus to the transport centre or a train one station to Lad Krabang and then catch a cab from there without all the hassle and you can save 35 Baht too (no 50 Baht airport fee - 15 Baht for the ticket from Suvarnabhumi to Lad Krabang).

Sadly, the rail link isn't the panacea it could be.

It's a real pain if you have luggage, due to poorly designed terminals, the low ridership on the express lines means you may have to wait up to 45 minutes for the next express, there isn't much room for luggage on the cramped city line.

If there's more than one person, the savings evaporate. The last train is around midnight.

Last 2 times I used it, I couldn't get on or off the express at Makasan (sp?), so I had to take the city line, or terminate at Phaya Thai, way far out of my way.

IMO, the only advantage of the airport link is that I don't take my chances with a white knuckle taxi ride, but most taxis I've gotten are pretty sane guys, and I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a legal taxi; usually I can walk right up to the nice lady asking for my destination. And I have a little more confidence that the taxi driver is not illegal right out of the box. The ones on the 4th floor have proven they don't drive by the rules, so I'm not all warm and fuzzy they won't break yet another rule...

I have just one question: The free airport shuttle stops at the Novotel Hotel too, is it possible to take a taxi from there?

I would like to avoid the probably very long queues at my arrival time (31.december, afternoon) and i can't take the train, because this time my destination is somewhere in the minburi area.

source: http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-services/on-the-ground/en/suvarnabhumi-getting-around-airport.htm

Edited by zeitgeist

Its not about B50 its about not waiting in a pointless shambolic 'queue' for 30+ minutes.

I fly in and out of swampy 1- 3 times a month fr last 5 years. I have never waited more than 10 mins for a taxi in the official taxi location ( it's normally 2-3 minutes )also never been scammed getting taxi there. Also a bit sad to see middle aged and above men complaining about 50 baht, surely at that stage in life we have some savings tucked away for such extravagances ?:-)

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Given that you can't read can we really believe what you write? That 10 mins, if true, is still 9 mins longer than previously taking a taxi upstairs

Not one person, who used to take Level 4 has stated that they do it to save 50 baht. The sad thing is that so many can't seem to actually respond to the merits.

• Like 1

I have just one question: The free airport shuttle stops at the Novotel Hotel too, is it possible to take a taxi from there?

I would like to avoid the probably very long queues at my arrival time (31.december, afternoon) and i can't take the train, because this time my destination is somewhere in the minburi area.

source: http://www.thaiairways.com/thai-services/on-the-ground/en/suvarnabhumi-getting-around-airport.htm

The Hotel will call a taxi for you if none are waiting outside the hotel.

Sadly, the rail link isn't the panacea it could be.

It's a real pain if you have luggage, due to poorly designed terminals, the low ridership on the express lines means you may have to wait up to 45 minutes for the next express, there isn't much room for luggage on the cramped city line.

If there's more than one person, the savings evaporate. The last train is around midnight.

Last 2 times I used it, I couldn't get on or off the express at Makasan (sp?), so I had to take the city line, or terminate at Phaya Thai, way far out of my way.

IMO, the only advantage of the airport link is that I don't take my chances with a white knuckle taxi ride, but most taxis I've gotten are pretty sane guys, and I've never waited more than 5-10 minutes for a legal taxi; usually I can walk right up to the nice lady asking for my destination. And I have a little more confidence that the taxi driver is not illegal right out of the box. The ones on the 4th floor have proven they don't drive by the rules, so I'm not all warm and fuzzy they won't break yet another rule...

The ARL is never going to be for everyone and for every trip. It can't and was never intended to be.

The most obvious advantages are that you can be sure that you will be able to travel to/from the airport in a specific time. During heavy rains, peaks hours (morning west, afternoon east) or holiday times it probably always pay to take the ARL to avoid the traffic. Time wise, if you know the departure times it is a very quick way to get out of the airport and into downtown BKK.

One of the worst things is when the Chonburi Motorway is shut down for a period while a VIP motorcade uses it. Everyone is stuck in traffic. The ARL is perfect for a period like now when there are protests around the city affectuing normal traffic routes and all airlines are thus advising people to leave much earlier to the airport.

When the ARL is extended to DMK and the Eastern HSR line opens to Rayong via Pattaya in about 4 years time, it will absolutely kill most of the eastern seaboard taxi services to and from the airport and trips between airports. Taxis just won't be able to compete time wise.

Edited by Lakegeneve

You most certainly can still get a taxi at the departure level. I have done it twice since they put the fence up. Just turn the turnstyle 1/4 turn and walk right through with your bags.

At first glance it appears you can not go through. The first time I walked out of the door and the drivers were flagging me over. When I went across they showed me how to do it.

For me it is not about saving 50 baht in lieu of going to the arrival level. I live in Pattaya and always pay 900 + 60 tolls at the departure level.

It was also reported last week that the AOT will introduce automatic queuing system at the AOT taxi stand which will record the destination " to allow pax to wait comfortable without standing in line". We'll have to see how that is implemented but it could work quite well.

In the same article, it stated that the AOT only prohibits taxis which are older than 2 years from using the AOT stand. Clearly, that is not the case as one can commonly take a taxi which is 5, 7 or 10 years old from Level 1.

Here is a pic of the waiting area for taxis near the Transport Center, some 2kms away. I'd hazard a guess that only 10-15% of the taxis in this pic are less than 2 years old.

565631.jpg

Edited by Lakegeneve

You most certainly can still get a taxi at the departure level. I have done it twice since they put the fence up. Just turn the turnstyle 1/4 turn and walk right through with your bags.

At first glance it appears you can not go through. The first time I walked out of the door and the drivers were flagging me over. When I went across they showed me how to do it.

For me it is not about saving 50 baht in lieu of going to the arrival level. I live in Pattaya and always pay 900 + 60 tolls at the departure level.

The last times I was at the 4th floor departures area, there were guards at every turnstile. During my last two visits, I stopped and watched the scene, and in nearly every case, the guard turned away people seeking to go past the turnstile and catch a taxi. Where there no guards when you went past the turnstiles?

And again to all those posting comments that we 4th floor taxi grabbers are cheap skates who don't want to pay 50 baht - that is not the point. The point is (1) it is far faster than going down and queuing for one, (2) I can select the driver and car that I wish, and (3) I like the idea of providing fares to taxis so that they do not have an unpaid return to the city. I have read elsewhere that many people are already finding it more difficult to find a taxi to the airport now. Not just any taxi can go downstairs and queue - they have to have an airport permit. And I think we can all imagine what is involved in getting said permits and that there is a great deal of money to be made by those who issue them.

Oh, and I often tip more than the 50 baht airport fee to a driver who has a decent car, isn't drunk or methed out, and drives safely and professionally. We all should.

In some ways the ARL is a curse; it has filled the BTS with farang ( of all races and ethnicities) dragging ludicrous amounts of luggage...backpacks swinging, suitcases blocking exits. Bloody pests.

Yes, expunge them all and allow only the 'well trained' Japanese who are of course from a 'superior race'.

Technically, there is a contradiction in your usage of the term "farang" and the subsequent clarification "of all races and ethnicities" (sic). However, given that you may wish to wage some form of baggage based genocide to cleanse the BTS it may not really concern you? ;)

Wait until the govt implements it flat 20 baht fare policy..........

Maybe not genocide , but a nice purge of the worst offenders would be good. Really, carrying a 85cm suitcase on the BTS plus hand luggage?All to save 150 Baht...lunacy.

Yes, expunge them all and allow only the 'well trained' Japanese who are of course from a 'superior race'.

In some ways the ARL is a curse; it has filled the BTS with farang ( of all races and ethnicities) dragging ludicrous amounts of luggage...backpacks swinging, suitcases blocking exits. Bloody pests.

Technically, there is a contradiction in your usage of the term "farang" and the subsequent clarification "of all races and ethnicities" (sic). However, given that you may wish to wage some form of baggage based genocide to cleanse the BTS it may not really concern you? wink.png

Wait until the govt implements it flat 20 baht fare policy..........

Some of the taxi touts at the departure have been picking up people then taking them over to the local industrial area and handing them over to unlicensed private cars , there has also been some extortion , so its not all safe a picking up cabs at level 4

, but there is a shortage of cabs on level 1 at peak periods .

Some of the taxi touts at the departure have been picking up people then taking them over to the local industrial area and handing them over to unlicensed private cars , there has also been some extortion , so its not all safe a picking up cabs at level 4

Never, in all the years that I have been taking taxis from the 4th floor have I ever heard of or experienced such a scheme, nor do I know of anyone else who has.

That said, there are many experiences stated from passengers who have used the "official" queue relating to extortion, refusing to use the meter, fast running meters, etc.

• Like 1

I think you're getting confused. The airport touts are crooks who need to be avoided at all costs. We're talking about the ordinary taxi drivers dropping passengers off. If you can't tell the difference then you should definitely use the official taxi queue.

What about the folk who see their family and friends off at the airport? how do they get out of departures and back to their cars ?

Isn't there a footbridge that leads directly into the car park?

Just planing ahead as I will be coming in in February. But the above answer has nothing to do with cars parking in car park, but cars parking outside the doors of the terminal building. Yes it was allowed last time I looked, believe it or not with today's airport security standards.

** I am pretty sure this parking area in inside to turnstiles? Last time I was dropped in a private care, the area was on an inner access road closer to building than where the taxis drop off?? So no problem for non taxis eh?

Its not about B50 its about not waiting in a pointless shambolic 'queue' for 30+ minutes.

I fly in and out of swampy 1- 3 times a month fr last 5 years. I have never waited more than 10 mins for a taxi in the official taxi location ( it's normally 2-3 minutes )also never been scammed getting taxi there. Also a bit sad to see middle aged and above men complaining about 50 baht, surely at that stage in life we have some savings tucked away for such extravagances ?:-)

As you will have read by the multitude of posts that counter these patronizing comments, it isn't about the 50 THB, but it is about choice. Most Thais choose the top floor if they must take a taxi as they have a choice of not being forced into the next beaten up jalopy being pushed along the queue and not be forced upon by a driver with attitude. Fortunately I have enough saving tucked away to have my own car take me and pick me up, to counter this.

• Like 1

As you will have read by the multitude of posts that counter these patronizing comments, it isn't about the 50 THB, but it is about choice. Most Thais choose the top floor if they must take a taxi as they have a choice of not being forced into the next beaten up jalopy being pushed along the queue and not be forced upon by a driver with attitude. Fortunately I have enough saving tucked away to have my own car take me and pick me up, to counter this.

Your own car picks you up? That's awesome.

Knight-Rider.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Try getting a taxi to take you, on the meter, to a location outside of the centre (we live on Chaeng Wattana). Last time (August) they tried to force a B800 fare on me and my family even though I speak enough Thai to explain that they should use the meter and that I know how much it will cost. There was no budging. The meter was not going on and they would not include the toll-ways in this fee. This was at the official desk to a family travelling with a baby.

If they can cure this problem then I would be fine with them ensuring we use the downstairs rank. Smiling whilst looking at a compromised target? A**es!

• Like 2

Try getting a taxi to take you, on the meter, to a location outside of the centre (we live on Chaeng Wattana). Last time (August) they tried to force a B800 fare on me and my family even though I speak enough Thai to explain that they should use the meter and that I know how much it will cost. There was no budging. The meter was not going on and they would not include the toll-ways in this fee. This was at the official desk to a family travelling with a baby.

If they can cure this problem then I would be fine with them ensuring we use the downstairs rank. Smiling whilst looking at a compromised target? A**es!

Wow that really is audacious and brazen! That fare is usually around 300-330 baht excluding tolls. Was it late at night by chance after you returned on a long haul flight?

Difficult for me to suggest given that you had the family and baby with you but you should have been able to change taxi at the AOT desk counter.

I would have definitely have made a complaint after getting home or the next day to the Land Dept complaint line. They do log them and follow up eventually.

Wow that really is audacious and brazen! That fare is usually around 300-330 baht excluding tolls. Was it late at night by chance after you returned on a long haul flight?

Difficult for me to suggest given that you had the family and baby with you but you should have been able to change taxi at the AOT desk counter.

I would have definitely have made a complaint after getting home or the next day to the Land Dept complaint line. They do log them and follow up eventually.

It was 9am on a Sunday morning so we can guess the fare will fall almost exactly as you state. Add in tolls, B50 and tip for good driving and we're looking at smiling whilst handing over B500 and letting them keep the change. To be honest we've been around here long enough to know when we're being eyed as walking wallets. That time, with 23 hours of travelling behind us, we just went upstairs and paid B1,300 to AOT for a MU-7 and everything from that moment on was perfect. Annoying to have to pay B800 more but if you have kids you'll understand. My wife would get it if I battled on but I think my little girl wouldn't and I would pay any amount to reduce her stress after behaving as well as she did on our 23 hour trip.

I must be the luckiest tourist ever to visit Swampy. Every time I have landed and gone to the taxi ranks, I've never had to wait more than ten minutes.

Perhaps it's down to the fact that a lot of people automatically queue up at the first bank of desks and don't realise that if you stroll a bit further down there is another bank of desks that people seem to ignore.

But seriously, the excuses here from the keeneaow for saving themselves Bt50 are a joke.

biggrin.png

• Like 1

Always amazed at the number of posters whining about getting scammed or refused by the taxis, then toss their business to to drivers that break the rules.  

The same drivers that take money out of the pockets of the guys who do play by the rules (and wait in long lines to pick up a fare).

Possibly how Phuket taxi mafia got their start?

Well said

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I must be the luckiest tourist ever to visit Swampy. Every time I have landed and gone to the taxi ranks, I've never had to wait more than ten minutes.

Perhaps it's down to the fact that a lot of people automatically queue up at the first bank of desks and don't realise that if you stroll a bit further down there is another bank of desks that people seem to ignore.

But seriously, the excuses here from the keeneaow for saving themselves Bt50 are a joke.

biggrin.png

Never ever had a problem until I had to travel as a family. That dynamic changes everything. They know that you are at your wits end and you'll agree to anything to get your journey to an end. I have had plenty of appalling drivers in appalling cars out of that rank. For a B50 surcharge I really feel it should be a guaranteed quality level (i.e. cars under 5 years, clean interiors, etc). Guess what? I know I'm dreaming :)

I travel light.

I'll jump the barrier just as a taxi drops a passenger.

I detest manipulation.

It is not manipulation. The AoT is responding to the refusal of people to respect the rules regarding the taxis. Loading taxis at departures blocks traffic and the picking up of fairs is unfair to those drivers who are properly licensed and follow the rules common in all modern airports.

• Like 2

I travel light.

I'll jump the barrier just as a taxi drops a passenger.

I detest manipulation.

It is not manipulation. The AoT is responding to the refusal of people to respect the rules regarding the taxis. Loading taxis at departures blocks traffic and the picking up of fairs is unfair to those drivers who are properly licensed and follow the rules common in all modern airports.

I have no problem if you use the AOT stand based on this, that is your choice. It is highly debatable that swampy "follow the rules common in all modern modern airports" as history has shown but we'll leave that to one side as it opens up a pandoras box of issues

However, it is also naive view as nearly 100% of the reports of scamming via either non use of a meter or an illegal rate in an old taxi occurs at the AOT taxi stand. Why is that? At departures any taxi is more than happy to get a fare back into the city. If a few try a "500 baht" attempt there is an eagerly waiting taxi just behind or in front of them so they will lose the customer.

At Level 1. taxis wait in the AOT carpark near the Transport Center for anywhere from 2-4 hrs. They then get escorted over in large groups by the AOT to Level 1. Now that is a long down time for a 12 hr shift - their choice BTW, no one forced them to go and wait in a long line of 2-5k taxis at the taxi car park! Little wonder many try to scam a higher fare via various means.

Main issue:

- The pax lines have improved significantly in the last 2 years.The reported new electronic destination system should help even further

- The AOT has stated that they only allow taxis not older than 4 years to use the stand but this is not the case. At least give customers that don't want an old taxi the choice.

- The main problem which is conducive to scamming and frustration is the long wait for taxis 2kms away at the taxi car park. Some drivers like the break - they can have some food, a shower, a nap etc. However, I'd close this and build a smaller holding area (600-800 large) designed such that taxis basically drop a pax off at Level 4 and then immediately enter this area before proceeding to Level 1. That could conceivably cut down the waiting time to 20-30 mins max. AT high demand times drivers would be essentially driving from Level 4 to Level 1.

Obviously, arriving and departing taxi demands don't match but there could easily be a system where the AOT just automatically notifies taxi companies for taxis in the area when demand looks to be exceeding supply.

• Like 1