Tourist boat sinks outside Pattaya - At least 5 foreigners dead, many seriously injured

george

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let's show a little respect for the deceased and their families.

I have been on lots of these ferries and I'm afraid to say they are all the same. Over crowded.

More people per journey equals more money, and as we know, money pays bills but safety doesn't. It's awful but that's the way it works here. Still sad to read about it every day. Worst thing is that nothing will change.

RIP to everyone who lost their lives, wherever they come from.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Buses, minivans, trains, cars and now boats!

How are you supposed to travel in this country??

Seems like the only way to survive is, stay home.coffee1.gif

Hope those who died didn't suffer.

...and cross fingers they don't operate high speed trains and atomic power plants.

UPDATE: 6 dead in Pattaya ferry sinking

PATTAYA: -- An overcrowded tourist ferry capsized and sank near the popular seaside resort of Pattaya on Sunday, killing six tourists, including two Russians and a Chinese, police said. The rest of the roughly 200 people aboard were rescued.

The double-decker ferry, carrying Thai and foreign tourists, left Koh Lan island for the 30-minute trip to Pattaya on Sunday evening, said Pol Col Suwan Cheawnavinthavat.

Shortly after the boat departed, an engine problem sent the passengers on the first deck rushing to the second floor, causing the ferry to flip on its side and eventually sink.

"Witnesses said there were neither enough tubes nor life vests on the ferry. Some of those who cannot swim had to cling onto coolers or ice containers until rescuers came,'' Pol Col Suwan said.

He said three Thais also drowned. The rest of the passengers were rescued, including a 9-year-old Russian boy who was in intensive care at a hospital. None of the others were hospitalised. No names have yet been released.

Pol Col Suwan said the ferry was operating over its capacity of about 130 to 150 passengers. He said police were looking for the ferry driver to investigate the cause of the accident.

-- Bangkok Post 2013-11-03

Several killed as Thai ferry sinks off Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- At least six people died as an overcrowded ferry sank near the tourist resort of Pattaya in eastern Thailand.

The dead included three Thais, two Russians and a Chinese, police said. A nine-year-old Russian boy is critically ill in hospital, reports said.

There were reportedly 200 passengers on board the ferry that left Lan island for the 30-minute trip to Pattaya.

The rescue effort is continuing as it is thought more passengers could still be trapped inside the vessel.

There were no immediate details on the number of injured or missing.

The ferry sank after running into engine trouble at around 17:00 local time (11:00 GMT) on Sunday, police said.

"Witnesses said there were neither enough tubes nor life vests on the ferry. Some of those who cannot swim had to cling onto coolers or ice containers until rescuers came," police Col Suwan Cheawnavinthavat was quoted by the Associated Press as saying.

Dozens of ambulances are at the scene in Pattaya, which is about 100km (60 miles) south-east of Bangkok.

Police want to talk to the ferry captain to try to ascertain the cause of the accident, Col Suwan said.

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2013-11-03

Lucky the weather is improving in Phuket they Cram 50-60 Korean/Chinese and anybody else that is crazy enough to pay the going rate on a 2 hour ride from hell to Phi Phi and associated islands. Crew are Farm boys cannot swim . Bums on seats same as the buses. No respect for safety whats that? Its going to take a few more and worse for even an inkling of a move from the powers that be. More $ more bums on seats more kickbacks need I say more?

• Like 2

RIP

Boats tend to sink a lot in Thailand, I stay away from them like the plague. Nothing beats the safety of my couch and computer chair, glad I never wasted time going to this overcrowded garbage dump resort island. coffee1.gif

R.I.P to the foreigners and Thais killed and Godspeed to the injured, especially the 9 year old Russian boy in ICU.

The Thai way seems to be to not prevent bad things from happening (in Buddhas hands?) then blame it on the spirits or the Ferangs when bad things happen.

That is what it is like in my household too, and so when these things continually happen in Thailand, I just wish the penny would drop with someone in a responsible position to say "ENOUGH!" We WILL do something to stop this from happening again.

Yet another senseless waste of lives again.............

10:30pm Latest news on tourist boat that sank this evening: Six dead & 20 seriously hurt. Search & rescue to continue at first light /@RichardBarrow

search and rescue to continue at first light, come on, if there are other survivors do they really think they will be happily bobbing around throughout the night

• Like 2

Let's hope the toll doesn't rise.

I often sail over to Koh larn. No idea what could have happened. We can only wait for more news.

Have to wait for more news, Only sounds like it could have been the hourly ferry they do get packed easily carry 100+ sometimes like sardines.

I have used these boats hundreds of times over the years now at 25Bht single-pay before boarding the ferry mostly. 45 min travel time to main key (7-11) shop.

Horrific especially for kids and elderly+ non swimmers.

Non-swimmers, elderly or young, would be just fine if 1.the crew had the most basic of training, and 2. there were as many life vests as passengers.

Wonder how many crew didn't survive.

And 3 ..The captain did'nt do a runner !

6 dead, over 100 injured in Pattaya Larn Island Ferry Disaster

Current reports suggest 6 people have been killed and up to 200 people have been injured in, what is being described as, Pattaya’s worst marine accident in living history.

Just after 4pm on Sunday reports began to come in of a Passenger Ferry which had sunk off the coast of Larn Island. It was quickly confirmed that the boat was carrying far more people than it is licensed to.

As of time of publication the names or nationalities of those who have died have not been officially confirmed and the figure is set to rise, as up to 20 of the injured are currently in critical condition in Hospital. One Police source suggested 3 Thai Nationals, 2 Russians and 1 Chinese Tourists were those that died and others are feared missing presumed drowned.

The boat which sunk was named as the “Koh Larn Travel 1” Ferry which is a 2-storey ferry with a licensed capacity of 150 passengers. It has now been confirmed that 209 passengers were on-board when it sunk approximately 500 meters off the coast of Nuan Beach on Larn island, approximately 7kms off the coast of Pattaya. Unconfirmed reports suggest a water pump was not working on the vessel which caused it to sink in under 1 minute after passengers quickly moved to the upper-deck making the boat highly unstable.

- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/107860/6-dead-100-injured-pattaya-larn-island-ferry-disaster/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PattayaOneNews+%28Pattaya+One+News%29#sthash.tG2y1Y8M.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-11-03

Police want to talk to the ferry captain to try to ascertain the cause of the accident, Col Suwan said

So they havent already? Shouldnt this of been the first person they contacted!

Read the facts you fool ............He did a runner, just like the bus drivers do !

Let's hope the toll doesn't rise.

I often sail over to Koh larn. No idea what could have happened. We can only wait for more news.

Have to wait for more news, Only sounds like it could have been the hourly ferry they do get packed easily carry 100+ sometimes like sardines.

I have used these boats hundreds of times over the years now at 25Bht single-pay before boarding the ferry mostly. 45 min travel time to main key (7-11) shop.

Horrific especially for kids and elderly+ non swimmers.

Non-swimmers, elderly or young, would be just fine if 1.the crew had the most basic of training, and 2. there were as many life vests as passengers.

Wonder how many crew didn't survive.

And 3 ..The captain did'nt do a runner !

RT@RichardBarrow: Captain of the boat that sank apparently fled the scene. Police will issue an arrest warrant for him - TR @ittipat_Rw

6 die in Pattaya boat accident

PATTAYA: -- A boat capsized Sunday afternoon in Pattaya, leaving 6 tourists dead and 26 injured. Many passengers are still missing.

Leaving Koh Lan - an island off Pattaya, the boat named "Koh Lan Travel 1" capsized and all over passengers were found floating in the sea. Over 150 passengers were on board.

At 9pm, it was reported that from 9 passengers sent to Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, 3 were dead. Of 15 passengers sent to Pattaya Memorial Hospital, 3 were dead. The Navy divers are now searching for the remaining passengers

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-03

That is a lot of people on a tourist boat. Sad to hear of those that have lost their lives. Will wait to hear more on this story.

Yeah.....so sad ! So many deaths on such a regular basis, on the roads, rail, and now at sea. Greed and stupidity here always comes before human life. What will be done to improve safety? Absolutely nothing! The boat is probably owned by a Poo Yai who has connections!

• Like 2

Police want to talk to the ferry captain to try to ascertain the cause of the accident, Col Suwan said

So they havent already? Shouldnt this of been the first person they contacted!

Read the facts you fool ............He did a runner, just like the bus drivers do !

Look when he posted you fool. It was before the news came out that the captain did a runner (a swimmer??).

• Like 2

RIP

Boats tend to sink a lot in Thailand, I stay away from them like the plague. Nothing beats the safety of my couch and computer chair, glad I never wasted time going to this overcrowded garbage dump resort island. coffee1.gif

How do u know its overcrowded since u never been there.

Unless the moderators suspend the rule against swearing I'm not going to be able to adequately express my views about this.

Anyone could see that those ferries were grossly overloaded. Have been for years. And yet after a series of fatal accidents in Pattaya waters the so-called authorities and sea rescue people stood idly by and did nothing about it. The only proper thing to do now would be to suspend all boat activity off Pattaya with immediate effect, and then start again from scratch with exhaustive checks on training, equipment and safety for all operators who carry paying passengers. Hard on the good operators but nothing else will do at this stage.

• Like 2

How can a ferry 'captain' ( and I use the rank loosely) from a sinking boat 'do a runner' I'd like to know ... Was he first to be rescued or did he swim away never to be seen ? Same old ' will turn himself in later ' when he's got enough money to buy his way out of any responsibility

RIP to those unfortunate souls and condolences to all affected

From a mariner

• Like 1