Good Chinese restaurant Central Pattaya?

ryro88

Went to china garden and was very good thanks.

Surprised to hear that.

I'm more than just surprised. China Garden seems to have the dullest possible menu even by UK-Chinese standards and the prices seem very high for what you get.

As far as I know looking for a good reasonably-priced Chinese restaurant in Pattaya is a bit like looking for a hooker with a heart of gold, or an honest jet-ski rental.

The dimsum lunch in the Dusit is very good albeit at a much higher price point.

Mmm. Dimsum. Making me hungry.

• Like 1

As far as what is open right now, I would continue to suggest SHANGHAI RESTAURANT which is located on 3rd road a few blocks south of North Pattaya Road on the west side of the street. Their food is close to authentic and you can sample a variety of small dishes for a varied and delicious ACTUAL Chinese meal for about 300 to 400 baht per person. I think that price is very reasonable considering the lack of such options in town. The dishes they feature the most are HAND PULLED NOODLES done a variety of ways, also Xiaolongbao (Shanghai style small dumplings with hot soup inside), but there is also a good general range of dishes available.

Warning:

It will not please westerners seeking a stereotypical Western style "Chinese" menu. The only PuPu platter they might have would be on the pavement outside.

BTW, for those who care, the world famous restaurant PAO will be opening again but it's up to you to find out when! Wink wink nod nod. clap2.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

We had a meal each with 2 drinks each and it was under 500B so I didn't find that expensive at all I thought it to be very reasonable.

i am happy you had a good time ryo88

i am pleased you found something good to eat in the 128 dishes on offer on this so called ''dullest possible menu''

i agree with you, its good food and its not expensive

its just some posters opinions are clouded by their frugality

• Like 1

i am pleased you found something good to eat in the 128 dishes on offer on this so called ''dullest possible menu''

If the 128 dishes are dull then the menu will indeed be dull. I've seen that menu and it is dull, no question about it. But some people like eating dull food so I suppose for them it is satisfactory. Good luck to them.

I didn't say it is expensive; I said it is overpriced. There is a big difference between the two.

The Dusit at 700B is much more expensive but it is also much better quality and so it is not overpriced. I often go to the Dusit for dimsum at 700B but would not go to the China Garden again at all, having been once. It just isn't good enough to interest me at any price.

Ho hum. That didn't take long. laugh.png

• Like 2

If the 128 dishes are dull then the menu will indeed be dull. I've seen that menu and it is dull, no question about it. But some people like eating dull food so I suppose for them it is satisfactory. Good luck to them.

I didn't say it is expensive; I said it is overpriced. There is a big difference between the two.

The Dusit at 700B is much more expensive but it is also much better quality and so it is not overpriced. I often go to the Dusit for dimsum at 700B but would not go to the China Garden again at all, having been once. It just isn't good enough to interest me at any price.

Ho hum. That didn't take long. laugh.png

i was responding to ryro88's post , he was the one that said he ''didn't find that expensive at all I thought it to be very reasonable''.

i responded by saying i agree with him that it was not expensive

how conceited you are to think its all about you

as usual you feel the need to write a novella about something that does not even mention you

ryro88's china garden visit was seized upon by you to be the subject of your boring vitriol simply because he was directed there by blackman

how low will you go in your efforts to get under the blackman's skin?

you have already had one rude, baiting post deleted by the mods within the last few hours

going for number 2?

As far as what is open right now, I would continue to suggest SHANGHAI RESTAURANT which is located on 3rd road a few blocks south of North Pattaya Road on the west side of the street. Their food is close to authentic and you can sample a variety of small dishes for a varied and delicious ACTUAL Chinese meal for about 300 to 400 baht per person. I think that price is very reasonable considering the lack of such options in town. The dishes they feature the most are HAND PULLED NOODLES done a variety of ways, also Xiaolongbao (Shanghai style small dumplings with hot soup inside), but there is also a good general range of dishes available.

Warning:

It will not please westerners seeking a stereotypical Western style "Chinese" menu. The only PuPu platter they might have would be on the pavement outside.

BTW, for those who care, the world famous restaurant PAO will be opening again but it's up to you to find out when! Wink wink nod nod. clap2.gif

been there some months ago after jingthings recommendation after re-opening after being closed (you will know when that was)

i found it acceptable fodder, the thai wife did not

there's been no return visit as a result

i have eaten food in the kitchen of the house of a relatively famous Chinese UK-TV featured chef in his home in the Manchester suburbs

he prepared it in front of me, i ate it and nodded approvingly

i later joined him at his restaurant in Manchester's Chinatown on a busy Sunday afternoon where you could not get a table for Chinese diners

i ate more of his food there, dim sum i did not even recognize including the obligatory chickens feet and noodles that looked like a dead squid and felt like tripe in my mouth

i wrote about it an article for the Holiday Inn Crown Plaza magazine

you would have loved it Jingthing

i didn't, it was all wasted on me

i respect your enthusiasm for food but you can't suit all tastes and all people as much as you might try to convince them nor do i think it is fair to be over critical of those you prefer simpler less accurate versions of a dish

Edited by blackman

Went to china garden and was very good thanks.

My friends always enjoy China Garden. They deliver too
See any Asians, let alone Chinese, there? Didn't think so 55555

do you go often enough to know?

Once was enough for me...I learned my lesson. I can't say what I really feel about this place due to forum rules and Thai libel laws...let's just say that in two years, I still haven't found the time to go back.

My friends always enjoy China Garden. They deliver too
See any Asians, let alone Chinese, there? Didn't think so 55555

do you go often enough to know?

Once was enough for me...I learned my lesson. I can't say what I really feel about this place due to forum rules and Thai libel laws...let's just say that in two years, I still haven't found the time to go back.

well to say '' See any Asians, let alone Chinese, there? Didn't think so 55555''

maybe there weren't any during your single visit two years ago

maybe that's changed, maybe the owners have changed

lots of things can change in two years, including you and your taste

Maybe in the last two years you used to think ***** pizza ***** made great pizza until La Grotta came along and was then declared to be the best pizza around

times change in the food business, even professional food reviewers have been known to revisit within 1-2 years to get an up to date accurate view of whats happening now

so you would be right to worry about saying ''what you really feel about this place due to forum rules and Thai libel laws''

it might well have been true to say it twp years ago

however it might not be true now, it may well still be true but the real truth is you really don't know

so i think its unfair to post two year old reviews/opinions about something you don't really know anything about today.....

China Garden does not cater to Chinese tastes. Get real. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but again, get real.

i do not think its ever been presented as catering to Chinese tastes

i have always seen and heard it promoted as western style Chinese food

so maybe they are real about what they serve and you aren't

China Garden does not cater to Chinese tastes. Get real. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but again, get real.

You're off base. I never said that they DO present themselves as real Chinese. They don't. That's OK with many. Whatever you like. I don't care. Shanghai BTW does not serve chicken feet or really anything I can think of that would be challenging to westerners. I am not suggesting Shanghai is an especially exceptional Chinese Chinese restaurant. It isn't. It would not be worth mentioning in San Francisco. But here it is. There is just VERY LITTLE of that style of food here (actually recognizable as Chinese food) at that moderate price point. Pattaya is really mostly a black hole for people with a taste for Chinese Chinese food that don't want to spend at hotels.

If you DO see Chinese people at China Garden, they are probably lost.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You're off base. I never said that they DO present themselves as real Chinese. They don't. That's OK with many. Whatever you like. I don't care. Shanghai BTW does not serve chicken feet or really anything I can think of that would be challenging to westerners.

NOTE: edited to add the edit that you added after you posted

I am not suggesting Shanghai is an especially exceptional Chinese Chinese restaurant. It isn't. It would not be worth mentioning in San Francisco. But here it is. There is just VERY LITTLE of that style of food here (actually recognizable as Chinese food) at that moderate price point. Pattaya is really mostly a black hole for people with a taste for Chinese Chinese food that don't want to spend at hotels.

If you DO see Chinese people at China Garden, they are probably lost

OK its not your taste

OK its not your version of authentic but it brings good value, good food and pleasure to many

they are real about what they serve, its not pretentious in any way

you are correct , shanghai does not offer anything challenging to westerners

however chicken feet aside, its not exceptionally good either except for aspiring food critics to savor and pontificate over its accuracy to 'real' Chinese food available here in little old Pattaya

i have had ''accurate'' Chinese food cooked in front of me by a renowned on UK-TV Chinese chef

you would have drooled over it, i did not

i had an article published about it

i lied

free food at china garden or shanghai?

i would choose china garden

tastes differ as do opinions

as they say ....................................everyone has one

Edited by blackman

you are correct , shanghai does not offer anything challenging to westerners

however chicken feet aside, its not exceptionally good either except for aspiring food critics to savor and pontificate over its accuracy to 'real' Chinese food available here in little old Pattaya

Again, you're off base and just being insulting here. I have already said Shanghai is not world class Chinese food and yes I know what that is very well. But when I eat there it's because I LIKE the food well enough considering the local options -- not to pontificate.

I already said I have no problem with people preferring westernized Chinese food, even questionable versions of same. There are some Americanized Chinese dishes that I like myself IF done very well. There's that IF again ...

For one example, I would love some Chinese American beef with broccoli done with lovely tender quality beef. Yes, I also like Chinese American style egg foo young with brown gravy and a guilty pleasure that is (nobody sells that style in Thailand as far as I know).

Edited by Jingthing

BTW, for those who care, the world famous restaurant PAO will be opening again but it's up to you to find out when! Wink wink nod nod.

I think that place should be renamed Brigadoon.

licklips.gif Are you saying slurping on their thick chewy noodles is almost like being in love? licklips.gif

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1