Phuket: Tuk-tuk ejection scheme draws mixed reactions

webfact

Tuk-tuk ejection scheme draws mixed reactions
Phuket Gazette

t.jpg
Some tuk-tuk drivers are worried that police won't be able to spot black plate taxis that are stealing public parking spots. Photo: Gazette file

PHUKET: -- As the clock starts to tick down on a plan to evict tuk-tuk drivers from parking spots in Patong, response from tuk-tuk drivers varies from flat refusal to requests for fairness in the application of the new measure.

“Most tuk-tuk drivers will not agree to move off the road. Where would we work then?” said Sakol Srisompoch, who earlier this year led a group of tuk-tuk drivers to file a complaint to Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut about illegal tuk-tuks drivers (story here).

“Police should focus on arresting illegal tuk-tuk operators, not us,” he said.

“From what I’ve heard, a lot of people are not willing to move from their parking spots. We will wait and see what the order is,” he said.

However, not all drivers are taking strong stances against the new policy.

“I don’ t have a problem obeying whatever is agreed on,” said one tuk-tuk driver who declined to give his name. “As long as it’s fair, I’m willing to adjust to the rules.”

“But police need to talk to rental bike stations and illegal taxis too,” he said. “The cops also need to have a way to make sure black plate taxis aren’t stealing the spots.”

President of the Patong Taxi Association Settasak Buason believes that police should call in every tuk-tuk driver who works on the Patong beachfront road.

“It’s not enough just to talk to the heads of the tuk-tuk stands,” he said.

Mr Settasak said he hoped for a peaceful resolution, adding, “I hope police can find a solution that meets the drivers halfway.”

“Most of the tuk-tuk drivers on the beach road have been there for a long time. They manage the parking by themselves,” he noted.

Patong Police Inspector Ekkarat Plaiduang noted that tuk-tuk drivers who have been using the same spot for over 20 years may feel like they own them.

“Right now we are still in the discussion phase,” he said, noting that the process cannot go forward until Phuket Provincial Police Commander Ong-art Phiwruangnont issues the order to do so.

Former Phuket Governor Tri Augkaradacha also tried to coax tuk-tuk drivers out of parking spots in Patong in early 2011 (story here). His plan would have opened about 60 per cent of the parking places on the beachfront road, leaving the remainder for tuk-tuk and taxi drivers.

Under those rules, rental operators were allowed to park only one car and four motorbikes in each of their allotted spaces between 7am and 5pm. After 5pm the parking spots were to be opened to the public.

Maj Gen Ong-art’s scheme is expected to be unveiled within two weeks.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Tuk-tuk-ejection-scheme-draws-mixed-reactions-22719.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-06

I once tried to park my rented motorbike in a public parking spot in Patong and was nastily ejected by a nearby tuk tuk driver without any of the usual Thai politeness or deference to an obvious tourist.

These drivers do think they own the waterfront, and need to be put in their place.

Sent from my tin can via string.

• Like 1

"Police should focus on arresting illegal tuk-tuk operators, not us, he said."

I have news for him. The curb along the entire length of beach road where all these tuk tuks park is painted red. If he is parking on the red curb, then he is an "illegal tuk tuk", at least until he moves.

The thing that really pisses me off is that if you were to try to park your private car along the curb anywhere along that 2km or so stretch of road between the south end of the beach and Bangla road, the tuk tuk drivers will enforce the no parking zone on you while they continue to park there. In some places you can see where the drivers have tried to paint black over the red curb. The only place I ever see the red curb enforced on the beach road is north of Bangla where it narrows, and that requires a policeman to stand there and whistle at each tuk tuk as it stops. So then the tuk tuks get around this rule by driving 1kph along the curb there, thus never actually parking.

• Like 1

The tuk-tuks, rental bike guys, and motorcycle taxis think they own the entire beachfront parking areas of Phuket and Pattaya both. As another poster said, good luck trying to park in any of those areas. They'll gruffly tell you that you have to move, and you don't dare challenge them or leave your bike as you know they'll mess with it.

Give the taxis a small chunk of road where actual pick-up sites are established, and tell everybody else to pound sand.

• Like 1

The tuk-tuks, rental bike guys, and motorcycle taxis think they own the entire beachfront parking areas of Phuket and Pattaya both. As another poster said, good luck trying to park in any of those areas. They'll gruffly tell you that you have to move, and you don't dare challenge them or leave your bike as you know they'll mess with it.

Give the taxis a small chunk of road where actual pick-up sites are established, and tell everybody else to pound sand.

Why not actually do what they say they are going to do, for once?

Some stupid compromise will be reached whereby a few spaces will be freed up for the public whilst the majority of parking spaces will still be controlled by the tuk-tuks.

Thank you for forecasting the future. How are my investments going to do within the next six month? Cheers.

On weds the POlice where actually moving tuk tuks on, around 9pm on the beach road.

All for show ...look we're doing as we said.......coffee1.gif [again] Until they have a permanent base for them to all park up off the roads and await a call for their services nothing can change...move them along from beach road and they go where?..

Also,AFAIK they pay big money for their particular spot .They are not going to give that up so easily.....I''bet the ones that were moved on were soon replaced by others or themselves as soon as the BIB had moved on for other more pressing matters... eg ..'tea time'..

• Like 1

On weds the POlice where actually moving tuk tuks on, around 9pm on the beach road.

All for show ...look we're doing as we said.......coffee1.gif [again] Until they have a permanent base for them to all park up off the roads and await a call for their services nothing can change...move them along from beach road and they go where?..

Also,AFAIK they pay big money for their particular spot .They are not going to give that up so easily.....I''bet the ones that were moved on were soon replaced by others or themselves as soon as the BIB had moved on for other more pressing matters... eg ..'tea time'..

AGREED!

Some stupid compromise will be reached whereby a few spaces will be freed up for the public whilst the majority of parking spaces will still be controlled by the tuk-tuks.

Exactly................and those "few spaces freed up for the public" will then again be controlled by the tuk-tuk`s within days laugh.png !!!

It will never happen. And for lay person to park their car in these thug's "spaces", you will only find a flat tire waiting for you.

Not worth it.

I am not even bothered about the chance to park, but if i ever had to get to Phuket town/hospital in a hurry from home then i would be screwed!

“Most tuk-tuk drivers will not agree to move off the road. Where would we work then?” said Sakol Srisompoch.

You would drive around, on set circular routes, acting as hop on - hop off transport for 20 baht a journey, just like the baht buses in Pattaya, instead of being lazy and sitting around playing cards all day waiting to rip off one tourist for a day's salary of 400 baht for a 5 kilometer journey.