Good news for holders of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy

Shame that Australia and New Zealand have been excluded from this list. Would have saved me having to undertake a brief trip to Malaysia by land from Pattani just to get the stamp in 4 weeks time.. do you think if we shout enough they might add the "village drunks with a smile" onto this list of elite farang?

I notice no Scandanavian countries either. Maybe they feel we are already enlightened.

If aussies didn't cause so much trouble and weren't in the news so often for all the wrong reasons, they may have been considered.....good call I say keep them restricted and watch the crime rate reduce.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I knew the 15 day rule wouldn't last - they are losing too many tourists. More Thai ineptness ...

I doubt they have lost many tourists at all. I have usually gone to Penang to get a 60 day visa for 1200 Baht, a few times when needing no more than the 30. From my place, the alternative was 2 death defying bus or van trips from Nakhon Sawan to Mae Sot for the piddling 15 days. The new rule now halves the risks.

A minor tangent, but may be useful: Anyone considering that Nakhon Sawan border run, if you opt for the bus/coach, take note: They originate from other stations, and are invariably already full. The ticket sellers will still sell you a ticket. You may be lucky or more likely end up squashed several across on the most rear seat, which is more like a park bench with little upholstery, and hideously uncomfortable. The vans will have a seat, but on every single trip I have made to Mae Sot, we have had near misses and seen the aftermath of a serious accident, including the sad fatalities, still in the vehicles, which is very sobering indeed.

What about the Commonwealth of Australia? Home to the most civilised and cultured people on the planet!

What about them ? I could perhaps understand this preferential treatment likewise being afforded to the indigenous tribes in Australia but to open it up to what is in fact a majority of decendants from convicted criminals then perhaps your question is answered

You must be a Brit!

Never let the facts get in the way of a good story :)

Must be the first positive change in the visa law in ages. I hope other countries will follw as I'm not a citizen of any of the mentioned above...

They do not make changes in the immigration laws for our view on them but for what they think is in the best entrest of Thailand. Lets just hope the folks who work and live here on border runs will not abuse this new change but probably wishful thinking on my part. So eventually look for a change back to 15 days down the road.

Edited by moe666

So now for some the annual visa cost to remain in Thailand is the cost of 12 visas to Laos or some other exit/entry point?

Depending where you live! But a second class sleeper return ticket to the Malaysian border from Bangkok would cost you under Bt1500. So lets say about Bt16,000 a year works out a lot cheaper than an education visa and a lot less hassle. No visits to immigration, no more 90 day reports and you can pick up a bottle of duty free booze on the way back!

• Like 1

Any idea when this comes in to effect?

It is already in effect, as confirmed by several reports from members.

Problem is, this being Thailand, some Immigration offices might decide they do not want to implement this new rule. You know the some will, some won't mentality.

Without trying to burst bubbles or dampen spirits, when they rewrite the police order you want to hope that they don't include restrictions of how many crossings will be allowed before being refused.

Just thinking ahead.......................wink.png

was surprised yesterday on border crossing ...

1. overstayed 4 days, so paid that fee

2. lady at the counter tells me and my wife , we got 30 days now to stay...

I say wow, maybe 30 days cause its the last border run we are allowed to do (its our fourth).
We think she is joking too, but then we actually get 30 days...

Now reading this makes sense!

Confirmed 30 day land crossing at Chong Chom Border Crossing.

I have just had it confirmed by Kap Choeng Immigration that the nationals of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy get a visa exempt entry of 30 days at the Chong Chom Border Crossing. BTW Unlimited entries.
  • Like 1

Ha, finally a bit of positive change on this old-world game of border crossings as opposed to the more rational (is there a word for that in Thai, I doubt it) idea of simply going to an office and paying a fee. My non-B has just expired and I was about to organise my every-two-weeks trip from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai. Now.... getting 30 days like 5 years ago, GREAT NEWS! However, I recall that the one good thing about the 14-day "walk" rule was that it was unlimited, whereas the old 30 day walk had a limit to it, either 2x or 3x. I would appreciate any news on how many times one can use the 30 day visa... it may be limited again.

Ha, finally a bit of positive change on this old-world game of border crossings as opposed to the more rational (is there a word for that in Thai, I doubt it) idea of simply going to an office and paying a fee. My non-B has just expired and I was about to organise my every-two-weeks trip from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai. Now.... getting 30 days like 5 years ago, GREAT NEWS! However, I recall that the one good thing about the 14-day "walk" rule was that it was unlimited, whereas the old 30 day walk had a limit to it, either 2x or 3x. I would appreciate any news on how many times one can use the 30 day visa... it may be limited again.

According to several posters it is unlimited.

Confirmed 30 day land crossing at Chong Chom Border Crossing.

I have just had it confirmed by Kap Choeng Immigration that the nationals of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy get a visa exempt entry of 30 days at the Chong Chom Border Crossing. BTW Unlimited entries.