Good news for holders of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy

So now for some the annual visa cost to remain in Thailand is the cost of 12 visas to Laos or some other exit/entry point?

Surely no one should be allowed to do this indefinately ?? Must be a limit of 2-3 surely ?

• Like 1

So now for some the annual visa cost to remain in Thailand is the cost of 12 visas to Laos or some other exit/entry point?

Surely no one should be allowed to do this indefinately ??  Must be a limit of 2-3 surely ?

There have been reports of some border crossings that limit the 15 day entries to 4 (Mai Sai is one).

The one in Aran/Poipet as far as I know has not been limiting them.

Surely no one should be allowed to do this indefinately ?? Must be a limit of 2-3 surely ?

Pffft. Why not? They make dough from tens of thousands of people transporting to and from borders. I don't even want to know the figure regarding business that's generated by border runs. Not to mention $10-15 a pop to Burma and $20 to Cambodia.

• Like 1

Yes, well, if you're Dutch you have to understand that helping them for FREE with advice and a master plan for flooding (which they have not implemented yet) during last year's flood puts you at a disadvantage....cheesy.gif .I say and keep repeating: An eye for an eye. If they don't allow long term visas here for your country, do the same in your country. If you are not allowed to buy land or houses here, do the same in your country. That'd help I am sure, what, with toxin investing abroad.... biggrin.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

That is along the lines of a post I put up. An eye for an eye.

What is Thailand getting in return from these counties.

I bet it is still just as hard for me to take my Thai wife on a holiday in the States.

My wife has had here 10 visa for the US since 2007 and has been to the US a few time, the last time was March this year. She got her visa in Chiang Mai AND she had no problem with the US Consulate. Sorry HD but your comment is totally out of place.

All at least fairly developed countries, and then Italy?? They might as well include Greece, Turkey or Russia, if Italy is included.

Sweden and Holland should have been included.

Edited by ayayay

Must be the first positive change in the visa law in ages. I hope other countries will follw as I'm not a citizen of any of the mentioned above...

Remember it's going to cost 500 baht to cover your 'medical expenses'!

The plot thickenscoffee1.gif................. w00t.gif

Hmm...So very astuterolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif - Except if that were a consideration they would have left it at 15 days for a faster turnaround...............w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Funny how they leave out Aust & NZ.

Wikipedia: "ASEAN stated that it aims to complete all its free trade agreements with China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand by 2013, in line with the establishment of the ASEAN Economic Community by 2015" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN

Australia one of the few countries with a "free trade agreement, at least it is "under investigation" since Barnaby Joyce bought up the Thai - Aust agreement 2 weeks ago as an example of how not to make a Fre Trade Agreement and used it as an example how some countries can not be trusted on ABC Q&A show while discussing the Chinese free trade agreement that the libs are trying to get done. He specificly mentioned how the Thais went against the spirit of it by manipulating CC engine sizes of vehicles to abuse it and it is all one sided due to this.

Go Thais Go xw00t.gif.pagespeed.ic.mm3WWmVptC.webp alt=w00t.gif width=18 height=20>xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.UBlCYNwc5a.webp alt=bah.gif width=19 height=19>

Very interesting indeed. I missed this. It would be about time Australia realises how Australian exports in the FTA are being screwed into Thailand and they aren't abiding by the agreement. Would be nice to see Thailand questioned internationally for once and Australia start to re-neg on some of the agreements for Thai exports in Aus. Maybe they will wake up?

Yes, well, if you're Dutch you have to understand that helping them for FREE with advice and a master plan for flooding (which they have not implemented yet) during last year's flood puts you at a disadvantage....cheesy.gif .I say and keep repeating: An eye for an eye. If they don't allow long term visas here for your country, do the same in your country. If you are not allowed to buy land or houses here, do the same in your country. That'd help I am sure, what, with toxin investing abroad.... biggrin.pngclap2.gifcheesy.gif

As Lewis Carroll may have said "...All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome

raths outgrabe." No thanks necessary for extracting the essence of your post. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif

Is it good news ? Only for those that can't go back to their own country.

Or those who, for many reasons, can't or won't apply to legally stay in Thailand
People who apply for extensions based on marriage or retirement, pay the fees and deposit funds won't benefit at all.

It's bad news for the airlines as many more visa runners will go by road.
It's bad news too for the bus companies and minivan drivers - more runners but half the trips.

and the people who were going to stay up to 15 days anyway - they won't benefit at all either.

So tell me - Where's the Good News ?

Edited by Papadragon

Wikipedia: "ASEAN stated that it aims to complete all its free trade agreements with China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand by 2013, in line with the establishment of the ASEAN Economic Community by 2015" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASEAN

Australia one of the few countries with a "free trade agreement, at least it is "under investigation" since Barnaby Joyce bought up the Thai - Aust agreement 2 weeks ago as an example of how not to make a Fre Trade Agreement and used it as an example how some countries can not be trusted on ABC Q&A show while discussing the Chinese free trade agreement that the libs are trying to get done. He specificly mentioned how the Thais went against the spirit of it by manipulating CC engine sizes of vehicles to abuse it and it is all one sided due to this.

Go Thais Go w00t.gifbah.gif

Sadly you're right. As you say it's the "spirit" which is missing in the actual implementation of the concessions made by Thailand when negotiating these FTA's.

Unfortunately I don't see that changing any time soon because even with the best intentions of those at the Ministry of Commerce that negotiate on behalf of the Thai Government, they have no teeth in effecting the changes that they have agreed to. Each Government Ministry in this feudal society is run as a fiefdom and those in power in their respective ministry have no interest whatsoever in making concessions that reduce their benefits in order to offset the gains made by others.

Both the Australian & New Zealand FTA's with Thailand include concessions with regards to the movement of human capital between Thailand and Aus/NZ and vice versa. At first glance the concessions made by Thailand towards the temporary entry of investors employees look quite fair. However, go any deeper into the requirements which are only mentioned vaguely or not at all in the agreement and you will find that the Dept of Labour and Immigration have added so many extra conditions that the entire section of that agreement is rendered worthless. In the case of FTA concessions, immigration has a manual which is only written in Thai, not published anywhere and not (it would seem) publicly available that has long lists of onerous and obscure conditions that an investor must comply with to the extent that it not only renders the concessions empty but actually makes it more difficult than a normal (non-FTA) application.

Go into a supermarket and have a look at the price of Aus/NZ wine to see the benefit of lower import duties. Take a brand/vintage that you know well and compare. You will see that percentage wise it isn't any cheaper than wine from any other country.

Other western nations like Aus/NZ need to take a close look at the way China negotiates it's trade agreements with other Asian countries. They don't rely on "spirit".

Go Thais Go xw00t.gif.pagespeed.ic.mm3WWmVptC.webp alt=w00t.gif width=18 height=20>xbah.gif.pagespeed.ic.UBlCYNwc5a.webp alt=bah.gif width=19 height=19>

Sadly you're right. As you say it's the "spirit" which is missing in the actual implementation of the concessions made by Thailand when negotiating these FTA's.

Unfortunately I don't see that changing any time soon because even with the best intentions of those at the Ministry of Commerce that negotiate on behalf of the Thai Government, they have no teeth in effecting the changes that they have agreed to. Each Government Ministry in this feudal society is run as a fiefdom and those in power in their respective ministry have no interest whatsoever in making concessions that reduce their benefits in order to offset the gains made by others.

Both the Australian & New Zealand FTA's with Thailand include concessions with regards to the movement of human capital between Thailand and Aus/NZ and vice versa. At first glance the concessions made by Thailand towards the temporary entry of investors employees look quite fair. However, go any deeper into the requirements which are only mentioned vaguely or not at all in the agreement and you will find that the Dept of Labour and Immigration have added so many extra conditions that the entire section of that agreement is rendered worthless. In the case of FTA concessions, immigration has a manual which is only written in Thai, not published anywhere and not (it would seem) publicly available that has long lists of onerous and obscure conditions that an investor must comply with to the extent that it not only renders the concessions empty but actually makes it more difficult than a normal (non-FTA) application.

Go into a supermarket and have a look at the price of Aus/NZ wine to see the benefit of lower import duties. Take a brand/vintage that you know well and compare. You will see that percentage wise it isn't any cheaper than wine from any other country.

Other western nations like Aus/NZ need to take a close look at the way China negotiates it's trade agreements with other Asian countries. They don't rely on "spirit".

Which would all seem to imply that its the Aus/NZ "negotiators" who are not up to the mark !smile.png

Edited by thaiexpat21

What does it mean "to land borders"?

Land borders are the ones your cross on foot, bicycles, motorbikes, motorcycles, cars, vans, busses or trains. Up until the recent change for some countries you got only 15 days if you crossed a land border, but if you flew in you got 30 days.

What about the Commonwealth of Australia? Home to the most civilised and cultured people on the planet!

as your so perfect they didnt think you would bother leaving your fab country ..so didnt think to include you..whistling.gif

There is a G-8. I dont know if there is a G-7 (but I could be wrong. Usually am) The G-8 includes all of the above countries plus Russia. I wonder why Thai officials left of the Russians??

Russia and the US already have agreements with Thailand.

Maybe more a new agreement with G6. G7 became G8 in 1998 when Russia joined.

Next step, maybe an agreement with the G20? Then the EU and Australia would be included too.

I believe all EFTA countries are part of the G20. Not sure if NZ is part of the G20 or TAFTA,

so sorry my NZ friends, you might need separate agreements :-)

Now, if it is part of a trade agreement then why do they relax the requirements for tourists but not

for businesses? Did I miss anything?

Is it good news ? Only for those that can't go back to their own country.

Or those who, for many reasons, can't or won't apply to legally stay in Thailand

People who apply for extensions based on marriage or retirement, pay the fees and deposit funds won't benefit at all.

It's bad news for the airlines as many more visa runners will go by road.

It's bad news too for the bus companies and minivan drivers - more runners but half the trips.

and the people who were going to stay up to 15 days anyway - they won't benefit at all either.

So tell me - Where's the Good News ?

Please extract your head and take a look around you sometime. Not many people have 4/800,000 Baht and most of those that do have more sense than to leave it lying around in a Thai bank account. So most people who live here come up against this at some point and will benefit.

• Like 1

After reading this I ran upstairs to check my passport. I received the 30 days stamp last Thursday !!!! I never knew. Living close to the Aran/poipet border, ive been running over there for almost 3 years now. Why don't I have a 6 month visa ? simple, I cant afford meet the financial criteria. I live well from interest and a small pension but I cant meet the regulary monthly income needed or the lump sum without cashing in everything I have which would defeat the point. So no, not everyone who doesn't have a 6/12 month visa is dodgy. Im absolutely made up and the added bonus is my cambo immigration mates (yes I really am on first name terms with many of them !) will only be getting their $20 + B100 once a month now lol.....this has really made my day :-) What a great positive piece of news after the usual tough news week !!!

PS on my run last Thursday there were no signs about this and the immigration guy never said a thing even though we exchanged a few words of small talk as normal !!!

• Like 1

Currently, they are not allowed to but I fail to understand why you think that they should not be. Thailand complains about the farang and then complains that when they leave they take their money with them. Most of the people that you are asking about bring a lot of money into Thailand. Thailand needs that, all countries want money to come in. The xenophobes curry favour with the red shirts to get votes by introducing anti farang policies but most of the people that want Thailand to do well are busy trying to make foreigners welcome in the hope that they will invest more money.