Good news for holders of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy

I wonder if there's any upcoming changes to the ASEAN countries as well as this recent G7 thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ASEAN changes are more generous than the G7 changes and I seem to remember reading something about it earlier in the year.

I think you could be right

one does wonder what sparked this sudden(?) and unannounced change.

was it pressure from outside - that would account for the otherwise seemingly arbitrary selection of countries involved.

Is it part of a greater plan?

....... Or does a minister have family in these countries?

I knew the 15 day rule wouldn't last - they are losing too many tourists. More Thai ineptness ...

Ah yes...20/20 vision...in hindsight.

It has actually lasted a very long time.....and was a lot better enforced than the average top-down pronouncement by successive Thai govts.

All at least fairly developed countries, and then Italy?? They might as well include Greece, Turkey or Russia, if Italy is included.

Sweden and Holland should have been included.

I sincerely hope you are saying that tongue in cheek.....it's just that there are people that ignorant on TV who might take you seriously.

It is all speculation until the next Police Order is published but my guess -- as earlier posted -- is that the main beneficiary of all this is intended to be the group tour bus operators who take persons to Luang Prabang and/or Angkor and thus re-enter Thailand via a land border and not those who are desirous of staying long-term in Thailand without the need to apply for a Tourist or non-IMM visa.

It is all speculation until the next Police Order is published but my guess -- as earlier posted -- is that the main beneficiary of all this is intended to be the group tour bus operators who take persons to Luang Prabang and/or Angkor and thus re-enter Thailand via a land border and not those who are desirous of staying long-term in Thailand without the need to apply for a Tourist or non-IMM visa.

Interesting point - there are certainly people coming back with 30 days (check out Thorn Tree.

But it looks like there are still a lot of "expats" who want to abuse the system.

What about the Commonwealth of Australia? Home to the most civilised and cultured people on the planet!

yes and we have put in a lot of aid development here also ....some reciprocal consideration for the thousands who live here and contribute to the economy would make sense.....but then the nonsense is part of why we like it

Interesting point - there are certainly people coming back with 30 days (check out Thorn Tree.

But it looks like there are still a lot of "expats" who want to abuse the system.

There always has been. This is the reason they went to the 15 day visa exempt from 30 day land crossing back in 2007.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif Luv all the Aussie bashers here ....... Seems all those whingers and whiners have run out of things to whinge and whine about !! giggle.gif

PS How do you know when a Brit arrives in thailand ???? Because when they turn the engines off you can STILL HEAR THEM WHINING !!cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Back to the Thread coffee1.gif Oh thats right it was about visas ...........

• Like 1

These are the countries with the richest sexpats, according to a recent (and very real) survey. Men from these countries are also most likely to send money to bar girls from overseas. Its all in the statistics.

The Dutch on the other hand, have been shown to have issues parting with cash.

Edited by apalink_thailand

Ha, finally a bit of positive change on this old-world game of border crossings as opposed to the more rational (is there a word for that in Thai, I doubt it) idea of simply going to an office and paying a fee. My non-B has just expired and I was about to organise my every-two-weeks trip from Chiang Mai to Mae Sai. Now.... getting 30 days like 5 years ago, GREAT NEWS! However, I recall that the one good thing about the 14-day "walk" rule was that it was unlimited, whereas the old 30 day walk had a limit to it, either 2x or 3x. I would appreciate any news on how many times one can use the 30 day visa... it may be limited again.

What's the betting that some Immigration offices will have unlimited 30 days and some won't.

I m french and I ve been to satun on the 4th of november.... they gave me only 15 days...(?)

Perhaps they hadn't got the notification yet.

The notification I imagine will go something like this "just use your discretion, If you are in a bad mood, only allow three entries, it's up to you".

What are the limits to visa runs? I live near the border. I can forget the 800k deposit and just make a visa runs.

unlimited

Unlimited?? Some will, some won't. TiT.

I am not sure, but surely Police Order 777/2551 section 2.4 will still be enforced.

"2.4 In the case of tourists: Permission will be granted for a period of not more than 30 days at a time but not exceeding 90 days in total counting from the entry date."

or does this only apply to applications for extensions to Visas? If this is the case then the 2 rules run counter to each other and would need to be tested.

Typical!! This is NOTHING else than BLATANT DISCRIMINATION. We are ALL equal in life, no matter where we were born. So EVERYBODY should be treated 100% exactly equally the SAME.

Whatever it is you're drinkin', I wish you'd pass it around... Where on this whole planet has everybody EVER been treated the same without any discrimination?

On a more releveant note... the 500B tax or surcharge isn't in effect yet, is it? Has it even become definite some time down the road?

Thanks for the numerous re-posts of my post about Australia being a "civilised country" haha.

This 30 day change is a beneficial change, but it is too little for it to be meaningful. How about 90 days? How about a monthly visa, pay as you go, at the 711 or cop shop?

ps few Australians are descended from criminals. Most English criminals from three centuries ago were victims of economic and social discrimination, not real criminals. Few real criminals are ever convicted.

And as for those 10%, the so called crimes the majority were convicted of were minor, mere misdemeanours compared with today's daily multimillion dollar shoplifting burden. It was seen as an easy way to cull the population. Get them off the streets and into the prison hulks, then ship them off elsewhere. Those who, in jest or otherwise seek to get mileage out of the Australian convict thing, I wouldn't mind betting have each committed crimes, however petty, considerably more serious than a kid nicking an apple. Hmmm?

I have duel citizenship British-Australian, and I have lived in both countries. The 'convict' thing is singly one of the most boring of all remarks to hear whenever I am in the UK. So bloody ignorant. The Brits are also the laziest when it comes to learning languages. I use my UK passport as a passport and nothing else. The Australian one speaks more for me as a life-educated free spirit.

Quote "I have duel citizenship British-Australian"

Quote "The Brits are also the laziest when it comes to learning languages"

Quote "I use my UK passport as a passport and nothing else"

Why do you retain a British passport if you have so little regard for the people of the land or your mother or father? Does not an Australian passport allow you access to the same places available to the British?

• Like 1

Confirmed 30 day land crossing at Chong Chom Border Crossing.

I have just had it confirmed by Kap Choeng Immigration that the nationals of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy get a visa exempt entry of 30 days at the Chong Chom Border Crossing. BTW Unlimited entries.

I hold UK and Australian passports, visa is always in Australian passport, would I qualify by showing both passports?

I have just had it confirmed by Kap Choeng Immigration that the nationals of UK, USA, Japan, Germany, France, Canada and Italy get a visa exempt entry of 30 days at the Chong Chom Border Crossing. BTW Unlimited entries.

I hold UK and Australian passports, visa is always in Australian passport, would I qualify by showing both passports?

If you have a "visa" why look for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you wish to change the passport being used I suspect it will be necessary to fly out and return .......changing the passport at the time of re-entry.

Edited by thaiexpat21

It is amusing to read hear how the recent change regarding visa exempt entries may affect the long-term stayer when probably about 99% of those who utilize visa exempt entries at land borders do so once or twice every few years if not once in a lifetime.

Edited by JLCrab

Actually, my experience is that coming in visa exempt and then going to immigration and getting an O that's good for 90 days is easier by far than getting the visa in the US and maybe applying for extensions or doing border runs. (That's for those who come part time at odd times.)

Actually a change to visa entry from immigration is only available to those planning an extension of stay and having the required documents for same. This is also a trip to immigration with such proof and a 2,000 baht fee.

I am not involved in the changes mentioned by the OP, being under OYSP. But some friends of mine would benefice of this...

I only have a doubt. Is there any reference (as for example Police Orders) where they say there is no limit of runs (by air or by land)?

I mean: going in and out of the country indefinitely does not bring any problem with immigration officials at the border?

If you wish to change the passport being used I suspect it will be necessary to fly out and return .......changing the passport at the time of re-entry.

I go to Australia every 15 months so I do not bother with the extension, preferring to pop up to Mae Sai every 90 days. Sometimes a few more days could be useful to get different departure dates. I am not clear what you mean by changing passports on entry back to Thailand as the visa is always in my Australian passport, can I get the visa put in my UK passport at the Thai consulate I visit in Australia? This would help resolve the issue of my Australian passport filling up before it's expiry date.

I go to Australia every 15 months so I do not bother with the extension, preferring to pop up to Mae Sai every 90 days. Sometimes a few more days could be useful to get different departure dates. I am not clear what you mean by changing passports on entry back to Thailand as the visa is always in my Australian passport, can I get the visa put in my UK passport at the Thai consulate I visit in Australia? This would help resolve the issue of my Australian passport filling up before it's expiry date.

If you have a multi entry visa why would you need a 30 day entry?

You could always try to have your next visa placed in the UK passport