Cambodian temples

nedkellylives

"Air Asia now have direct flights from Phuket to San Reap and we are thinking about going to see the temples

Does anyone know how long to stay there and see everything worth seeing without getting bored"

Bored ?

You have to be joking. three days or more to see Angkor Wat , Can be done in a day for highlights. Then a week on Pub Street.Use Google.

Damn, I have been here almost 5 years and still not bored....

I think 3 days area good start. Chose your floating village wisely; some of them are terrible tourist traps. Pub Street? No way, leave that to the unwashed, banana-pancake-eating, fisherman;s-pants-wearing backpacker crowd.

• Like 1

hanno: I haven't been for probably 10 years. I had a guide who took me there on his scooter. We got into a boat and just cruised around the Vietnamese floating fishing village. We didn't stop, just cruised around and then ended up with a swim out in the lake. So they are tourist traps now? That's too bad.

OP: my guide took me way out to some temples quite far from town. No tourists at all. They aren't as spectacular as those near town, but were still fun to see. I was beat after 3 full days of tromping around. Can't wait to go back.

The trip to Kampong Phluk is the one i have been on the lake, http://phuket.zenfolio.com/p552344657

1st time i went in 2006 it was ride out an arrange ur own boat.

last time this July 2012, ticket booth an they wanted a lot more, got a boat for myself, daughter and Cambodian GF for $20 about a 2 1/2 hour trip

For a good orientation before u visit the temples go to the Museum in town and once ur at the temples get a copy from one of the kids selling them "Ancient Angkor" $5-10

If ur into horseback riding there is a really good horsestables run by an Khmer -American the two hour trip is fantastic. http://www.thehappyranch.com/

If u have chance take the tuk tuk to Bang Mealea and Koh Ker temples

As others have said, you need at least one day just to see the main temple, to take it all in it's a three day minimum.

A side note, one thing you will notice is the command of the English language by the ordinary folks is way higher than here and the street hawkers are friendly and polite. I went with some friends not that long ago, we arrived early afternoon, so not enough time to do anything but have a wander round Siem Reap to see what was on offer food-wise for the evening.

On our walk we were approached by a group of boys, mid-teens, who were selling post-cards and guide books, we told them that we had only just arrived and we would buy some tomorrow, and they then just left us alone.

We spent most of the next day at the main temple, the tuk tuk had waited for us all day and had no problem then taking us in to town and wait while we got something to eat, no sooner had we stepped out of it when we were approached by the boys from the day before, all shouting "It's tomorrow" well, what could you do.

Another aside, the best Indian curry I have had in the time I've been here was in Siem Reap.

Edited by Thaddeus

OP, with that much time you should consider day trips to Koh Kher (about 2 hours away) and Preah Vihear (3.5 hours). The former predates Angkor and has the advantage of having virtually no tourists, the latter has great views and it is a nice day trip on quiet roads.

Whatever you do, do NOT go to Chong Khneas floating village, it is the one place in Cambodia where virtually everyone will try to scam you.

Ask a Tuk Tuk driver show you the War Museum built on an old mine field (cleared) get an ex army guy show you around?? one of the guides was very informative.... Free entry.... I gave the guide $10 Highlight of my trip listening to this guy and what he went through

How about money, i still have 800USD from a previous holliday, will this be enough or should i purchase more USD before we leave for the holiday

I will arrange and pay for the accommodtion before we leave

Depends what you do and where you eat. Of course 800.00 is enough but you will not be high-rolling. USD 80.00 will come out for Angkor Wat 3-day pass, transportation (Tuk-tuk is about 18.00 a day but you would need a car for Preah Vihear and Kho Khor), guide????

Beers on Pub Street are $ 050.00, but if you do not like that particular circus, beers are anywhere from $ 1.00 to $ 7.00.

Basic meals are a couple of Dollars a pop, but you can also easily spend over 100 Dollars for 2.

ATM's are widel available so you could always pull more money I guess. Do not change into Riel, there is absolutely no need.

How about money, i still have 800USD from a previous holliday, will this be enough or should i purchase more USD before we leave for the holiday

I will arrange and pay for the accommodtion before we leave

Depends what you do and where you eat. Of course 800.00 is enough but you will not be high-rolling. USD 80.00 will come out for Angkor Wat 3-day pass, transportation (Tuk-tuk is about 18.00 a day but you would need a car for Preah Vihear and Kho Khor), guide????

Beers on Pub Street are $ 050.00, but if you do not like that particular circus, beers are anywhere from $ 1.00 to $ 7.00.

Basic meals are a couple of Dollars a pop, but you can also easily spend over 100 Dollars for 2.

ATM's are widel available so you could always pull more money I guess. Do not change into Riel, there is absolutely no need.

and you have nightlife..http://www.xbar.asia/

Can you cycle in the temples area?

Cycling is possible but do not underestimate the distances. It is 6-7 kilometers just to go from downtown to Angkor Wat and the large loop is 20+ kilometers. On top of that Siem Reap is a little on the warm side most of the year. If you don't mind the heat then this is feasible; heck I have run the large loop:-))))

Nightlife is actually a bit naff. Yes, there is the XBar and a couple of other venues, but it is nothing like BKK or even Phnom Penh.

long distances between temples makes cycling a bit of a bother an its dam HOT.

one thing with the tuk tuk's an worth the $12-15. most temples are laid out east to west so u enter an walk thru exiting at the other side where ur tuk tuk will be waiting

side note, if u go to the temples at 4:30 u can get in for free that afternoon ( buy ur 3 day ticket an u get 3 full days starting the next day).

worth it for the sunset at Angkor.

SR to Bang Mealea- Koh Ker- Preah Vihear is a LONG day. I did it with my own car, stated at 7 am and than was back in Preah Vihear city for the night about 7 pm.

$80/day is plenty Hotels run $15-30 for a good one, meals $5-10 each, tuk tuk/day 12-15 an ur 3 days pass $40 each

Don't waste ur$$ on a guide get the book

Of course if u start drinking......... or buy things

SR to Bang Mealea- Koh Ker- Preah Vihear is a LONG day. I did it with my own car, stated at 7 am and than was back in Preah Vihear city for the night about 7 pm

When was that? There is a fantastic highway now and I left SR at 5 and was back at 16:00. I would not combine it with Koh Ker.

I think the guides are worth every Cent as they really do know a lot.

Forget sunset at Angkor these days; it is a total circus with dozens of buses and hundreds of people.

Talk to your Tuk-tuk driver/guide and ask them to go against the flow. SR has seen a huge influx of tourists, and many of those are extremely noisy groups from China. Korea, or Taiwan, and during the high season the crowds can be massive, The good thing is that these groups follow the same itinerary so they can be easily avoided.

$5.00 - 10.00 meals? Not if you want something a little better and do not want to eat Khmer all the time. Off the top of my head, per person: Little Italy = $15.00+, Dakshin: $15.00+, Schniztelwrtin = $6.00 but the German beers are expensive, Hashi = $30.00+, Abacus $30.00+

July 2012 an the highway was new and i was driving my own car (so probably driving not quite as fast as a taxi would ) If u did it all that fast u did not spend much time at each place but stopped, took ur photo to prove u were there and left. I spend at least 90 minutes at each one and at PV more

I was last up in Cambodia ( in SR, Battambang, Palin, Kep, Phnom Penh) and everywhere in between in July this year as well

I loved Koh Ker, we were the only people there and found it unique as its a stepped temple unlike others in Cambodia

I doubt i have ever paid more than $7 for a thai ( great food at Lemongrass in PP) or farang meal (blue Dolphin on street 172 would be hard to spend $10 unless ur drinking or at lonestar or the pickled parrot) anywhere in Cambodia since i have been visiting since 2004 making 2-3 trips/year.

I do suppose if ur eating in a classy western restaurant and selecting imported foods ur bill will be higher.

Even Pub street in SR u can get a great meal for under $10 each, In SR the best place for fine Cambodian food is "the Loft" on the main road before Pub street, ( same side of the street as the night market) 4 fantastic filling dishes plus rice and soft drinks for 3 people under $30

AS far as sunsets, when i have been at outside Angkor Wat photographing, usually less than 100 people at sunset, as most seem to head elsewhere. (don't go to Phnom Bakheng for sunset!!!!)

$250/day!!!! my god an that is not including ur lodging!!!

Edited by phuketrichard

$250/day!!!! my god an that is not including ur lodging!!!========typical yankee working in wall street and army.

even japanese would not squander in that manner....

if you honestly have 250$ to squander, couldn't you donate 30-50 to khmer kids in the countryside ? or bring or buying a secondehand computer to them, plus some books for reading .

I drove myself, you must have been crawling:-). But reading your post you also included Koh Kher and I do agree that is too much to do in one way; I usually spend a few hours there.

I think there are much better places for Khmer food than the Loft; you should try Cuisine Wat Damnak.

I thought you meant Bakheng, but I agree: a lot less people at Angkor Wat for sunset. But there is a much nice place but I am not telling:-))))

And yes, with USD 250 a day you will live like a King.

Cuisine Wat Damnak

heard about that place and will give it a try next trip

MY next trip will take in Ratanakri and Mondulkiri going to try an enter from Laos this time rather than at Osmach with my thai car.

PS as far as my times,

i am a photographer and the getting there is much more important than arriving

PS; there not direct flights on Air asia, all go thru and stop in Bangkok ( about a 2 hour layover)

Edited by phuketrichard

they're on the business trip for sure.

for private, japanese donated more than anybody else...

as more yankee european 're unemployed , jobless, receiving less pentions.

even former pilots of air france lufthansa, once they're sacked, they 've got to count pocket all the time.

True, they go to the Amansara for USD 850.00 a night.....

they're on the business trip for sure.

for private, japanese donated more than anybody else...

as more yankee european 're unemployed , jobless, receiving less pentions.

even former pilots of air france lufthansa, once they're sacked, they 've got to count pocket all the time.

True, they go to the Amansara for USD 850.00 a night.....

Wrong, they are on private trips. Surprisingly enough, often a couple of young Japanese girls traveling together.

I drove myself, you must have been crawling:-). But reading your post you also included Koh Kher and I do agree that is too much to do in one way; I usually spend a few hours there.

I think there are much better places for Khmer food than the Loft; you should try Cuisine Wat Damnak.

I thought you meant Bakheng, but I agree: a lot less people at Angkor Wat for sunset. But there is a much nice place but I am not telling:-))))

And yes, with USD 250 a day you will live like a King.

Absolutely.

Last time I went, the transport and accommodation I paid for up front, took USD 250 and an ATM card just in case, never used the card, stayed three days, and still had 90 Dollars left.

I only spend what is neccessy to enjoy ourselves and have a good time, if we need to spend $250 a day to do that i will

it was just a ballpark figure,we are not backpackers or interested in bars but like to eat what we wantl and stay in decent accommodation

Anyone know the cost of hiring a car with a driver/guide on a daily basis

I only spend what is neccessy to enjoy ourselves and have a good time, if we need to spend $250 a day to do that i will

it was just a ballpark figure,we are not backpackers or interested in bars but like to eat what we wantl and stay in decent accommodation

Around $33.00 if you stay in the Siem Reap/Angkor area; a little more when going further afield. For Angkor you could also use a Tuk-tuk, around $ 18.00 a day.

Around $33.00 if you stay in the Siem Reap/Angkor area; a little more when going further afield. For Angkor you could also use a Tuk-tuk, around $ 18.00 a day.

Thankyou, i am to old and grumpy to ride around in a tuk tuk i prefer airconditioned comfort and $33 a day seems very reasonable to me

I was thinking of staying in Siem reap as thats the main town is there any 3 to 5 star accommodation or a decent guest house you would recommend,

You live there by your posts

, also could you reccomend a driver/guide, i enjoy both asian and western food my wife prefers asian

PM me if you want to

Thankyou, i am to old and grumpy to ride around in a tuk tuk i prefer airconditioned comfort and $33 a day seems very reasonable to me

I was thinking of staying in Siem reap as thats the main town is there any 3 to 5 star accommodation or a decent guest house you would recommend,

You live there by your posts

, also could you reccomend a driver/guide, i enjoy both asian and western food my wife prefers asian

PM me if you want to

There are more than a couple of good hotels.

I can personally recommend this one.

http://www.newriversidehotel.com/