What to do in Phitsanulok

andyphuket

Hi.

I'm going to a funeral in Phitsanulok on Friday. My plan is to stay there over the weekend. Any recommendations about what I can do there?

Temples, parks, restaurants, nightlife, etc. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Central Thailand (including Phitsanulok) is not the ultimate destination for Farangs. Temples, Yes!

Farang entertainment in Hotels and their Bars near "the river" is possible. = Overpriced !

Since staying only for a weekend: Sweat it out and concentrate on "entertainment" when you get back to Phuket.

Cheers.

If you Google Phitsanulok restaurants and look under Wikitravel will give you some idea, also several restaurants mentioned in same blog.

Sorry I cant advise on any as am at present in England and all my map's etc are back there.

As Swissie stated not the greatest place to spend a few day's. Day time hoard's of traffic night time dead.

Hope it all go's well for you.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Just to clarify things a little. I'm thinking about staying there over the weekend as I have to go anyway and I've never had the pleasure to visit before.

I don't necessarily need to party there, but it would be nice to do something, whether it's during the day or night doesn't really matter.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Just to clarify things a little. I'm thinking about staying there over the weekend as I have to go anyway and I've never had the pleasure to visit before.

I don't necessarily need to party there, but it would be nice to do something, whether it's during the day or night doesn't really matter.

The lack of reply's must tell you something about the place. All be it a very large town your left with, Daytime shopping visit the odd Wat after 9pm all is at best dead. Everyone go's to sleep, sorry to say it's not Phuket. Let us know how you get on.

The Ban Mai restaurant opposite the Ayara Grand Palace Hotel is probably the best food you can experience in Phitsanulok. It's not cheap by Thai standards and there's good reason for that.

Easier if you have a Thai companion who understands what you would like to order as there's no English menu.

As my wife is from P-lok I have had the pleasure of being there many times. Wat Chinnerat is nice once, after that it is just swatting mosquitoes. Bring lots of bug spray, they are different from south Thailand.

One interesting way to spend a day is to go in search of a farang restaurant outside the hotels (and the new Central). I have heard there is one but never found it.

I have to go back next month, so if anyone else knows where the mythical farang restaurant is I'd sure be interested.

Thanks again.

I'm going by car and Highway 12 sounds great.

I will post back after I have been there.

If you have a car at your disposal, I would say Sukothai and Sri Satchanalai are a must,

• Like 1

Andy take ticketmasters advice,try and get on highway 12 and visit the chinese temple.I've lived here many years 2km's from the centre of town.I used to live in Pattaya but am much happier here.There is nightlife if you choose to look,but i think i've had enough nightlife to last me 2 lifetimes.The roads are much better up here than Pattaya,but like most other residents of Phitsanulok it's early to bed early to rise for me,and look forward to the next day when i can take my bike out through this lovely fairly large chanwat and enjoy the green lush countryside.Enjoy your stay.

• Like 2

I go to Phit regularly. The used to have quite a few bars and ladies by the grand riverside hotel but they all disappeared. Currently, there's a few local bars in the night market. There's a poor selection soapy by the big-c. If you go around the bangkok bank, 2 streets from the night market have some low quality street walkers.

For the past several years, the city has really dried up in terms of night life.

Pity.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Plenty of options.

Eating,night market for cheap eats,further down river,about 2 km,there's 4 floating restaurants,the first offers big screen sports.

Faa Thai the longest established is next,good food but tend to double price,opposite is Sixty,live music from 7.ish.

A little further another,that does river cruise,to wat yai and back.

Pool bars go out on the road towards Macro,look on the right hand side.

Disco,Top land hotel has a disco warms up after ten,accross the river,on the left another disco,another late starter.

Cinema,bowling,fishing.

Presume you are with company,so ask around.

I go to Phit regularly. The used to have quite a few bars and ladies by the grand riverside hotel but they all disappeared. Currently, there's a few local bars in the night market. There's a poor selection soapy by the big-c. If you go around the bangkok bank, 2 streets from the night market have some low quality street walkers.

For the past several years, the city has really dried up in terms of night life.

Pity.

The bars you refer to next to the Riverside,were bulldozed.

3 or more years ago.

Illegal enterprises.

Pity.

The bars you refer to next to the Riverside,were bulldozed.

3 or more years ago.

Illegal enterprises.

They were quite nice in terms of music and hostess. Do you know of any new places like these? The bars at the night bazaar are for young locals only. Looking for a place for business travelers.

I don't know of any,but haven't really looked.

You could try asking the m/c taxis in front of Topland hotel.

There's normally one that has some English language skills,if you're Thai,isntgood enough.

A long shot would be trying to locate a samlor rider named Bill,he is all knowing and can arrange companions for the evening.

A word of warning.

Phitsanulok BIB.occasionally conduct random breath testing.

Generally around the town centre,after 11.30 pm.

The fine for a local is Bht 10.000.not sure for a foreigner.

Particularly keen over Songkran,when the police compound is full too capacity with impounded vehicles,of those without the necessary funds.

As my wife is from P-lok I have had the pleasure of being there many times. Wat Chinnerat is nice once, after that it is just swatting mosquitoes. Bring lots of bug spray, they are different from south Thailand.

One interesting way to spend a day is to go in search of a farang restaurant outside the hotels (and the new Central). I have heard there is one but never found it.

I have to go back next month, so if anyone else knows where the mythical farang restaurant is I'd sure be interested.

Not much hope for you if you can't find Central,how many signs do you need.

As for the mythical Farang restaurants I own one of them.

I believe there are also others,one near the bus station,one on the pantarra resort hotel road.

I believe there are also others,one near the bus station,one on the pantarra resort hotel road.

Who are you and what are the GPS coordinates to your restaurant?

It would be good to mention where any farang restaurants are or links to sites since most farangs from Phetchabun and Phichit go to Phitsanulok periodically for visas or shopping and would likely be interested in adding it to their day trip. I know I am.

I took your advice Ticketmaster and thanks. I headed East from Phitsanulok on Highway 12. Turned of towards Khao Kho along the 2196. Fantastic scenery. I can really recommend this to others. Spent 2 days driving around and visiting different sights. Lots to see and the views are spectacular. Will definitely go back.

Who are you and what are the GPS coordinates to your restaurant?

Even many of those of us living in Phit'lok don't know the location of every hole in the wall. I have more important things do do that search for farang food. But if I knew your location and you serve lunch I might drop in.

I took your advice Ticketmaster and thanks. I headed East from Phitsanulok on Highway 12. Turned of towards Khao Kho along the 2196. Fantastic scenery. I can really recommend this to others. Spent 2 days driving around and visiting different sights. Lots to see and the views are spectacular. Will definitely go back.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. It's a GREAT motorcycle ride.

I offered general direction for 2 foreign owned restaurants.

Mine I would doubt you want to visit.

I haven't been involved in the day to day running for some time.

I leave that to Thai family.

They reward me handsomely,on a monthly basis.

I make an appearance,for maintenance issues,or if friends visit.

Basically if it has a 1 customer,or 100 makes no difference to me.

I always receive the agreed rental figure.

Beauty of a freehold (don't you think)

Opens at five.pm.post-170299-0-16460700-1384241554_thumb.

If you have time get on a bus to either Sukothai or Sri Satchanalai....shame not to go there as you're so close.

I likewise recommend Sukothai--only an hour away, with frequent bus service 6am to 6pm. Spend a morning or afternoon there. Can rent a bicycle for 30-40 baht to tour the historical park with a taped guide (rented from the park headquarters).

I visit Phitsanulok once in a while, and as I like to go for a relaxing drink in the evening. I too would be interested in any tips from locals. I've tried the small bars near the night market on the river, a karaoke on Lan Wat Mai Apaiyarem (road across dual carriageway from Toplands), and the Toplands disco, which are all so so. My favourite at present is the cafe at the Pailyn Hotel. They have a show with singers and dancers, which is okay for the first couple of times you visit, but does not benefit from a great deal of variety of personnel. At least you can have a conversation with the nak raawng of your choice, though they will expect a steady flow of drinks and garlands (maa lai)..