Phuket expats risking lives on the road to stay in paradise

webfact

“These requirements are not in place to make life difficult for foreigners,” he said. “They are in place to protect Thai workers. For example, if a company can pay foreigners a low salary – below the legal minimum – then they may prefer to hire foreigners over Thais."

A country that has a 2% unemployment rate needs laws to protect the jobs of it's citizens from foreigners? Hmmm...What is wrong with this picture?

So 'foreigners' are only Caucasian?!

In the 17 years plus I've lived here, I have never heard another Asian being called a 'foreigner'.

What you'll never hear in Thailand 'Oh i've just hired on another set of farang from Burma to build my new condo' said Mr Somchai laugh.png 'Yes, we're taking some farang (Chinese) over to Koh Racha' said Mr Somsak laugh.png 'Foxtrot khon RuSSIA', yes whistling.gif

Edited by jpeg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“These requirements are not in place to make life difficult for foreigners,” he said. “They are in place to protect Thai workers. For example, if a company can pay foreigners a low salary – below the legal minimum – then they may prefer to hire foreigners over Thais."

A country that has a 2% unemployment rate needs laws to protect the jobs of it's citizens from foreigners? Hmmm...What is wrong with this picture?

In the 17 years plus I've lived here, I have never heard another Asian being called a 'foreigner'.

What you'll never hear in Thailand 'Oh i've just hired on another set of farang from Burma to build my new condo' said Mr Somchai laugh.png 'Yes, we're taking some farang (Chinese) over to Koh Racha' said Mr Somsak laugh.png 'Foxtrot khon RuSSIA', yes whistling.gif

Thais call Japanese, Koreans and Chinese foreigners all the time. Not farang, but foreigners, yes.

it looks good for TAT

all those people leaving for a day & comming back

they can claim more visitors & more money ...............

ideal would be: just pay 5 000 - 10 000 baht for a 3 month renewal

for those that are not married to a thai or not over 50

Exactly, if Thailand opens its borders to Philippines workers on a massive scale the hotels, hospitals, etc will hire them in droves. better English ,more educated, and extremely hard working.

But that's exactly what is going to happen in 2015 isn't it? I stand to be corrected if wrong.

What a dreadful waste of lives happening. Sad.

I filmed a large bus overtaking another up ChangMai way, over the double line on a blind bend at high speed. Scary.

That's a main reason I don't go back to "paradise". Too many crazy drivers.

High speed + wet road = scary. Anywhere, anytime, always.

Lots in the article about the visa run, mostly blaming the visas??, but did you notice the second last paragraph ;- "GPS fitted, and if they are driving too fast we call them and tell them to slow down."

More police presence needed to actually enforce this? Any speed cameras there?

My wife admitted having occasionally driven up to 160km/h in Thailand. Scary.

She's drastically changed this habit here in Oz.

She erred, the speed camera took the picture and was fined $220 for not much over the 60k limit.

Would speed cameras there change much?

Even companies here in Oz are charged a huge fine unless/until they pass the ticket to the employed driver responsible who then pay a usual speeding fine themself.

The scariest part of that for me is that they are going to call a speeding driver who will then fumble about looking for his phone,taking his eyes off the road and not slowing down while he is doing it.

We all know the dangers posed by mini bus transport. This is a terrible shock but after a few days most will forget and got back to Visa Runs. The only solution is for Foreigners to share car hiring. At 1200 Baht a day plus fuel it should not prove prohibitive. Just speak to each other or set up an on line group, make an Excel Spreadsheet and kill off this dangerous trade.

You would be grassed up by someone for operating an illegal business.

Edited by dundee48

The headline says; Phuket expats risking lives on the road to stay in paradise

But, this happened in Phuket. unsure.png

Ahhh, yes, but there are many who permanently wear the 'rose tints' that really believe that Phuket is ,in fact paradise....true!! They'll tell you..rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

• Like 1

Where did you get that idea from? Who brought up Caucasians?

they are doing the old chinese game of recounting the same tourist. 12 leave on 90 visa 4 times a year and become over the year a total of 60 tourist but they are the same 15 tourist. thats how they pump the numbers of the 25 million tourist a year they claim what is the real number????

Think you've mastered the art of how to pump up numbers. "12 leave...but they are the same 15...".

• Like 1

SANTISUK -- There is some hope in that speed cameras are being used there, and tell your friends, get the word out there.

"Radar anytime/ anywere" is the slogan here in Oz. (You seemed to wear well the responsibility of your speeding fine sir.)

DUNDEE48 Yes I did wonder at the wisdom and/or the timing of when the employer was to phone the speeding driver. I agree, that is scary in itsself.

Edited by Jing Joe

• 7 months later...

The root cause isn't the immigration rules, it's the crap, dangerous drivers.

It is both, and the 90 day visa runs are completely unnecessary. They are in place due to either some arcane, antiquated laws, or the desire to stimulate the economy with these ridiculous visa runs. This law has got to be scrapped. It creates a lot of congestion, and is unnecessarily dangerous. I personally know people that have been killed on visa runs. The govt. should be ashamed of itself, for requiring this. Revise the policy. Grow and learn. Evolve. It is the way of the world.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It is both, and the 90 day visa runs are completely unnecessary. They are in place due to either some arcane, antiquated laws, or the desire to stimulate the economy with these ridiculous visa runs. This law has got to be scrapped. It creates a lot of congestion, and is unnecessarily dangerous. I personally know people that have been killed on visa runs. The govt. should be ashamed of itself, for requiring this. Revise the policy. Grow and learn. Evolve. It is the way of the world.

Spidermike

I stand by my statement.

If people drove here like they do in countries that not only have driver education, but, enforcement of traffic laws, deaths would plummet.

There are many, many reasons to travel on the roads, not just visa runs. Changing immigration rules will drop death by visa run, but, what about the other 99.999% of road users that are not on a visa run?

As a percentage of all road deaths in Thailand, what percentage do you think are caused by visa runs?

You kinda prove that common sense ain't that common.

• Like 1

Spidermike

I stand by my statement.

If people drove here like they do in countries that not only have driver education, but, enforcement of traffic laws, deaths would plummet.

There are many, many reasons to travel on the roads, not just visa runs. Changing immigration rules will drop death by visa run, but, what about the other 99.999% of road users that are not on a visa run?

As a percentage of all road deaths in Thailand, what percentage do you think are caused by visa runs?

You kinda prove that common sense ain't that common.

Nah. I do have common sense. Rather proud of that fact. I was not intending to imply visa runs cause most deaths. Only that they cause unnecessary ones. I personally know two guys killed so far on these dangerous and quite unnecessary visa runs. A race against the clock. Of course better driving skills would help. And traffic safety on any level beyond the completely non existent level we currently see, would help. Unfortunately there is no consciousness of public safety here. The sign guys that fell off the baiyoke sky towers were a good example. None were wearing harnesses. Have you EVER heard of someone getting cited for reckless driving here? The police are a comedy act. Hooligan Goomba revenue collectors. Not public servants. Shame on the past 10 central govt. administrations for doing virtually nothing to improve safety standards.

Spidermike007

Exactly, if Thailand opens its borders to Philippines workers on a massive scale the hotels, hospitals, etc will hire them in droves. better English ,more educated, and extremely hard working.

But that's exactly what is going to happen in 2015 isn't it? I stand to be corrected if wrong.

Yes, I believe so. In the meantime they are thinking that they are protecting Thai jobs. If and when ASEAN is implemented, a lot of Thais will be shocked

when looking for work in the tourist industry, that their English isn't good enough for the job.

I completely agree, these commuter van drivers are, from what I observe, the most aggressive people driving in the most reckless manner. If I were forced to do visa runs I would either drive myself or get together with some like minded pals and hire a Van and share the driving, as long as they have a Thai licence or an international permit. They can't be that expensive for a one day hire.

Is there some special purpose to an agent, isn't it just a matter of leaving the country and coming back in again ?

SDM