online tefol course newbee

htgtlos

Hello, I am brand new to this forum. I am currently teaching in the us. I hold a certificate for music education and have 25 years experience. I would like to teach in the phuket or pattaya area. I have looked at online tefol courses and would like some information. Will an online tefl course be satisfactory along with my teaching cert. or would I be better off taking a course in thailand? Thanks!

You do not need a TEFL course to teach in Thailand. If you have a Bachelor's, especially a Bachelor's in Education, and a Teacher's License from your state, you will have no trouble in finding work.

Best of luck and keep us updated.

• Like 2

"Teaching in Thailand is a whole different ball game!"

Good teaching practices are good teaching practices.

Celta and TEFL do not specifically teach you how to teach in Thailand. They are a basic course that show the fundamentals of EFL teaching. Local TEFL courses do have some introduction to situations and examples that are specific to Thailand but nothing that cannot be learned on the job.

Besides, with this person's credentials why should they settle for EFL teaching jobs paying such a low wage when he/she could get an international school position teaching their subject matter?

• Like 1

"Teaching in Thailand is a whole different ball game!"

Good teaching practices are good teaching practices.

Celta and TEFL do not specifically teach you how to teach in Thailand. They are a basic course that show the fundamentals of EFL teaching. Local TEFL courses do have some introduction to situations and examples that are specific to Thailand but nothing that cannot be learned on the job.

Besides, with this person's credentials why should they settle for EFL teaching jobs paying such a low wage when he/she could get an international school position teaching their subject matter?

CELTA is homogenous and makes few allowances; however, most face-to-face TEFL courses prepare you for the Thai classroom. They usually have cultural awareness training and teaching practices in formal schools with Thai students.

Teaching music to native speakers is a little bit (understatement) different to teaching language to students using the language you are teaching them. However, teaching music to native speakers at an International school is the same.

As Scott said though, it's not necessary to complete one to teach legally. If you are planning to teach EFL, you should consider one. Google reviews and blogs for a good one.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 1

I worked as a teacher in Thailand and I can tell you that an online TEFL is practically worthless. There are reputable schools offering TEFL courses throughout Thailand.

Finding work in Phuket and, especially in Pattaya, can be tough, though. A lot of foreigners live there and there aren't that many schools to begin with.

If you do prefer to live in an urban area, try Chiang Mai or Bangkok instead.

You may be teaching music BUT you Will be teaching English. Remember you need to tell them how to do it and what to read.

ONLINE is useless it would be the same as learning to play an instrument and never having to use a real one.

TEFL is 1 month and a good school will be able to also set you up with good locations to teach at that will treat you better. There are good schools and then there are really good schools.

You might research the schools and see if there are any looking for new teachers. There will not be a need for teachers though until May next year as all schools will have their teachers already.

You may be teaching music BUT you Will be teaching English. Remember you need to tell them how to do it and what to read.

ONLINE is useless it would be the same as learning to play an instrument and never having to use a real one.

TEFL is 1 month and a good school will be able to also set you up with good locations to teach at that will treat you better. There are good schools and then there are really good schools.

You might research the schools and see if there are any looking for new teachers. There will not be a need for teachers though until May next year as all schools will have their teachers already.

This would be true in a perfect world, but I can assure the OP that many schools will not have a complete 'set' of foreign teachers already.

• Like 1

If you want to teach in Phuket and take a tefl course also, a good tefl school is TTT language school in Chalong, the owner is David Levy. Kajonkietsuksa school has Thai, bilingual and international schools, and usually has openings for teachers, if you can't find a music teacher position, you can always teach kindergarten, being any degree is acceptable, starting at grade 1 you need an education degree.

" Learning practical skills always requires practical training and practice. Reading about them will do very little to develop your teaching skills.

Teaching music to native speakers is a little bit (understatement) different to teaching language to students using the language you are teaching them"

My point was that actually for someone who is a trained and experienced teacher the difference approaches to language instruction and knowledge of 2nd language acquisition can be learned easily and effectively through self study.

Not everyone needs to sit in a classroom to absorb information. The teaching practicums and "preperation to Thai classrooms" isn't as important to an experienced teacher. Who will most likely be able to transition relatively quickly if they already use a more "student centered approach".

My other point is that recommending EFL positions for a certified and extremely qualified teacher is a littlle short sighted. He could possibly earn 3 times the salary of an EFL teacher with international school positions.

"ONLINE is useless it would be the same as learning to play an instrument and never having to use a real one."

pretty absurd analogy. But again how would you know unless you have done it. FYI there are many people who use boards or kits to improve their music skills before they can afford a real instrument. There are deaf musicians that cannot actually hear the music they play.

The other problem with the argument thus far is the value of the online course. Worthless is a pretty excessive statement especially since no poster has actually claimed to have one or have done one. I wonder if they consider all online degrees the same. I will concur that they are not valued if the job requires a TEFL but if it is just to learn about basics of language acquisition, EFL teaching theories, and general information of the EFL field, then why isn't that good.

Yes, online courses don't provide practicums however for a qualified and experienced teacher that isn't always as necessary.

I've actually complete a 1 year online TEFL course.

I did this about 4 years ago in the UK with a company called BSY.

It did teach/remind me a lot about grammar and various teaching methodolgies were covered :

• The Silent Way
  • The Communicative Way
  • Grammar Translation
  • Total Physical Response.

Whilst these were useful and I still refer to the notes, none of them really prepared me for that 60 plus classroom full of kids and two fans that look like they'll soon drop and decapitate a few poor souls.

Mind you, I also finished an Open University Degree in English Language a few years earlier, also not much help in the classroom.

The best thing that I did prior to taking up a teaching position in Kalasin was to find a foreign English teacher in the area who allowed me to sit in for a few weeks of lessons. Invaluable, insightful and absolutely brilliant.

I would recommend the same to any novice teachers in the same position.

• Like 2

As somebody had already mentioned. Teaching in Thailand is completely different to any other countries on this planet. Considering the fact that OP wants to teach in Phuket, or Pattaya seems shortsighted.

If you've got enough money to travel through Thailand, you might find out that there're other places, where you might be much happier than working in Pattaya, or Phuket.

I couldn't stay there longer than a week. Okay, that's my own personal opinion. Not more, not less.

Surrounded by people who're on a holiday, or expats, plus the higher cost of living should be one point to consider.

A TEFL doesn't mean a lot, but if you can get some experience before you start, it will be very helpful.

There're certain things you need to know. Thai students usually never ask questions, as they're not allowed to do this, when being taught by Thais.

As chonabot wrote, going into a classroom without a fan and 50, or 60 kids might be scary for most who think they want to teach in Thailand.

Once I was in a classroom, where such an antic fan collapsed and the blades almost hit some high school kids.

I'm already used to sit in meetings, which are always conducted in Thai. But all of them are English teachers. Then the I love you too much stories....

Best luck from lower northeast!-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

answering the questions that were actually asked ,,,,,

Skip the idea of an online TEFL-- they are useless.

If you have a degree and a teaching license from a country that has English as a native language you are employable. Since you have no experience in Thailand (teaching) it would not hurt you to take a TEFL course here. If the course is well designed and your instructor is good you will certainly benefit from it.

I took a TEFL class from Text and Talk in BKK some years ago and it was helpful. (note I have never been hired as a teacher, but as a director for several Thai companies it has helped me a great deal) at Text and Talk my instructor was Andrew and he was awesome.

• Like 2