British national charged for road fatality in Phuket

webfact

I've nearly hit numerous bikes when turning left off a main road into a smaller road.

The issue I have that simply checking my left mirror is not enough as the bikes are also driving down the pavements.

Thus: At busy periods when I turn left I have to come stop and edge left, the bikes just keep on going !...

Can it be proven that she was indicating left ?

Can it be proven that the bike was 'undertaking' which in itself is illegal.

If I'm picturing this correctly - I can't see how the lady can be at fault when she is turning left.

I hope this lady is dealt with fairly.... It will be interesting to follow.

• Like 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'The 17-year-old Mr Patiphan, who was not wearing a helmet' - and had he been drinking too? Bloody idiot, he must know the score riding a bike in Phuket without a helmet ...

'Nuff said, but the foreigner gets the blame ...

Was the motorbike driver in a lane proper or trying to squeeze by in the same lane occupied by the car? If the latter HE was driving recklessly

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Stupid question. Of course the motor bike was trying to squeeze by. Thats what they do here. Also he needed to go fast enough to lose control and hit the utility pole with enough force to kill himself. sad.png

My condolences to the family of the boy and I hope the lady driver can get over her terrible experience. It is my hope that lessons will be learned but sadly I think not.

• Like 1

In the midst of all the arguing about who did what, lets not forget that a young man is dead. It's a tragedy in any event.

In this case, whilst the accident MAY have been caused by a foreigner, the DEATH was probably caused by not wearing a helmet. Any driver, Thai or Farang would feel bad at being accused of causing the death of a motorcyclist who was not wearing a helmet.. after all, that's what helmets are for.

I know this junction well. The left turn can be taken quite fast, and there is a 'run-up' left lane (hard-shoulder) that many vehicles who are turning left use to avoid traffic queuing to go straight on at the traffic lights at that junction.

I would suggest that the motorbike was intending to go straight on at the lights, and Faye was taking the left. If the bike was on her left, it is quite possible that she simply did not see him, especially since it was midnight. A small motorbike will not display much light when side-on. and he may have been in her blind spot.

In any case, another un-necessary death, and I hope the true facts of this accident are found, and that Faye is given a fair trial.

Simon

Actually there is a reason drivers may not know the road laws. Whilst taking the Thai drivers theory test, which was translated into English, the question was. You are travelling along a road and wish to turn into a road on the left. Who do you give way to? the multiple guess answers were. A. Cars coming from the left hand side. B. cars going straight on. C cars approaching and right turning into the road...

When I pointed out all answers were incorrect they marked a wrong answer correct.

IMHO I don't think anyone who refuses to wear a helmet has any claim for damages. This poor chap died from Head injuries, which surely would be prevented with a helmet. It is akin to someone claiming damages when they don't wear a seat belt. rip young man, but maybe more publicity should be raised about helmets again. Yes if she was in the wrong persecute but not wearing a helmet was maybe the cause of death..

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

This poor chap died from Head injuries, which surely would be prevented with a helmet.

What an assinine statement. While helmets do prevent some injuries & deaths, you can not sit at your computer and make that statement.

• Like 2

'The 17-year-old Mr Patiphan, who was not wearing a helmet' - and had he been drinking too? Bloody idiot, he must know the score riding a bike in Phuket without a helmet ...

Maybe, but we don't know that yet.

For the moment he is charged so the accident can be investigated, that is why he is charged. Nobody is blamed as of yet.

Nuff said, the foreigner feels disgruntled without any facts.

For the moment he is charged so the accident can be investigated, that is why he is charged. Nobody is blamed as of yet.

Ms Faye inside her car..

According to you who knows all..who is he??

Nuff said,,,,clap2.gif cheesy.gif giggle.gif

Re-read the article. It plainly says she has been charged. He is dead. You don't charge dead people.

In fact, there's a subtle clue in the title, "British national charged", and that national happens to be a woman called Faye.

May I suggest a trip to an optometrist?

Nuff said cheesy.gif

Yes,of course you may suggest whatever you like sir, but the problem is not with my eyes,....you should well remember the very appropriate for you old adage along the lines of..;

Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear or in new age..posting on forums,before brain is engaged,

I know full well what was said in the article..10 points to you for getting that part right..i agree 100% and yes , i do understand that you dont charge dead people...brilliant ,thank you!..i often wondered..NOT!

But sadly for you, in your haste to e-bash me you got it all wrong chum, you see, if you had read and observed you would have seen this from steven;#12;

"For the moment he is charged so the accident can be investigated, that is why he is charged. Nobody is blamed as of yet."

...and this above is what i replied to...get it now?

He got it wrong, i pointed it out ,,...simples.....and you jumped in boots and all and..''VOILA" ... egg on face, nah daeng, etc ,etc..

Nuff said giggle.gif

17, so no driving license and no helmet.

Car was making a left turn, so not crossing over any lanes.... where was the bike. Without doubt I would say it was in one of two places:

Under cutting the car before it turned, or in the lane the car was turning into, thus on the wrong side of the road.

The people here have no concept or clue of how to properly turn onto/into a road, they typically first cut across the oncoming lane to make their turn shorter, I would guess that this young illegal driver was doing just that when the car turned onto that road and he was in the wrong lane about to turn on to that main road.

Absolutely spot on. I've lost count of the number of times I have been "undertaken" when signaling to turn left, and equally, overtaken when signaling to turn right. I have no idea what the ACTUAL road laws are in Thailand, only what they are in my home country. At home, in each case the motorbike rider would be in the wrong. But here.........

The article should note that charging the driver with reckless driving causing death in an accident like this is standard procedure until an investigation can be completed. It's one of the reasons why people flee accident scenes here.

But the drivers nearly always turn themselves in or are tracked down, so can you further explain your reasoning that this is why people flee scenes here, exspecially if it is just standard procedure until an investigation?

Yes the drugs or alchohol are out of their body by the time they turn themselves in. Straightforward.

Cars give way to bikes motorised or not.

From the info given she appears to be driving without adequate awareness of other road users.

TIT so extra road sense is required even if she was indicating etc

RIP young man whatever the situation you did not deserver to die like this.

Edited by Cuban

Ms Faye inside her car..

According to you who knows all..who is he??

Nuff said,,,,clap2.gif cheesy.gif giggle.gif

Re-read the article. It plainly says she has been charged. He is dead. You don't charge dead people.

In fact, there's a subtle clue in the title, "British national charged", and that national happens to be a woman called Faye.

Nuff said cheesy.gif

Yes,of course you may suggest whatever you like sir, but the problem is not with my eyes,....you should well remember the very appropriate for you old adage along the lines of..;

Make sure brain is engaged before putting mouth in gear or in new age..posting on forums,before brain is engaged,

I know full well what was said in the article..10 points to you for getting that part right..i agree 100% and yes , i do understand that you dont charge dead people...brilliant ,thank you!..i often wondered..NOT!

But sadly for you, in your haste to e-bash me you got it all wrong chum, you see, if you had read and observed you would have seen this from steven;#12;

"For the moment he is charged so the accident can be investigated, that is why he is charged. Nobody is blamed as of yet."

He got it wrong, i pointed it out ,,...simples.....and you jumped in boots and all and..''VOILA" ... egg on face, nah daeng, etc ,etc..

Nuff said giggle.gif

Yup, you got me fair and square.

I'm off to see an optometrist.........

Edited by KarenBravo

Ah, the Thai rider must be at fault.........

Yes, someone in the TV Kangaroo Court has already decided he was drunk and a bloody idiot, evidence apparently acquired from the vantage point of a barstool.

Enough said indeed. One of the chosen, blameless people has spoken.

Bloody idiot, he must know the score

Do you understand the word "fatality" used in the thread heading?

Edited by Suradit69

Nuff said cheesy.gif

Nuff said giggle.gif

Yup, you got me fair and square.

I'm off to see an optometrist.........

thumbsup.gif

I can't count the number of times over the past 6 years that I have used my turn signal well before the actual turn, slowed down and slowly eased over, and have had MOM'S (Morons on Motorbikes) invariably try to squeeze past me.

Just about a year ago I was coming home on my CBR, only doing about 45 in the motorbike lane on 121. A 10 wheel flat bed truck pulls up beside me. I think he's going to keep going, but suddenly slams on the breaks and makes a sharp left hand turn right in front of me into a business. Only had reaction time enough to jerk the wheel to the left and take a 2 month old bike into the ditch. Some people saw what happened, stopped to help me and called the cops. Long story short, he had to pay for the bike repairs.

• Like 1

I have on many occasions given advice to new drivers to Thailand your kerbside wing mirror is the one you have to look at the most dont assume because you have indicated that you are turning left that motorbikes are gonna take any notice.

A similar thing is happening in the in the UK especially in London where pedal cyclists put them selves in dangerous when a massive truck is turning left and cut inside to get a quick getaway i see it all there all the time.

Never try to teach Thais the highway code it will only confuses them.

Cars give way to bikes motorised or not.

From the info given she appears to be driving without adequate awareness of other road users.

TIT so extra road sense is required even if she was indicating etc

RIP young man whatever the situation you did not deserver to die like this.

She is also guilty of the obvious offence of "Driving while Farang" This deserves a fine at the very least....

• Like 1

Sounds good, Cuban.

I am aware of the lack of lights [the ones that let people know you are there in the darkness] and lack of crash helmets, or secured at that.

I'm reminded of the late 70s graffiti tag, with arrows - overtakers and undertakers.

From my personal experience I have little faith in the justice handed out by police.

They tend to favor the side that has less money so that they can use it as a tool to extort from the side with more.

Like one previous poster said, "when a car hits a motorcycle the car is usually responsible". Pretty much self explanatory now why car owners are always on the wrong when involved in an accident with "motorsai".

Best bet is to have your insurance company negotiate it out instead of trying to argue with the cops as they're the only person on your side as its in their best interests. Money and compensation always wins over logic. It can even get you out of legal predicaments. TIT, nuff said.

Generally charges come after the investigation.

Generally yes, but not so in Thailand. The police have stated this a number of times in previous reports. In an accident causing death, the surviving driver is almost always immediately charged pending investigation regardless of initial indications of fault. It may not mean anything at all.

Generally yes, but not so in Thailand. The police have stated this a number of times in previous reports. In an accident causing death, the surviving driver is almost always immediately charged pending investigation

regardless of initial indications of fault. It may not mean anything at all.

And often in the case of a death the suspect is jailed and bail must be posted. That's why it's very important to have insurance that provides a bail bond provision, usually 200,000 Baht.

The article should note that charging the driver with reckless driving causing death in an accident like this is standard procedure until an investigation can be completed. It's one of the reasons why people flee accident scenes here.

But the drivers nearly always turn themselves in or are tracked down, so can you further explain your reasoning that this is why people flee scenes here, exspecially if it is just standard procedure until an investigation?

Yes the drugs or alchohol are out of their body by the time they turn themselves in. Straightforward.

Not so straightforward.

Perhaps they don't want to end up like this guy in Pattaya, who stayed at the scene...

He had been assaulted by others involved in the crash and was in a dazed state. The suspect was subjected to a breathalyzer test but it came back negative for alcohol in his system.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/680465-one-dead-14-injured-german-arrested-following-jomtien-beach-road-crash/

Generally yes, but not so in Thailand. The police have stated this a number of times in previous reports. In an accident causing death, the surviving driver is almost always immediately charged pending investigation regardless of initial indications of fault. It may not mean anything at all.

I am not comfortable with that concept. I wouldn't be impressed if I was charged with something, banged up in the Hilton for a couple of weeks or longer whilst they investigate to see if you have in fact committed an offence. Then they determine that you have done nothing wrong and it is on your way, no sorry for the custody or depriving you of your liberties. Geez If we tried to do that in Australia we would probably find ourselves facing false imprisonment charges. We can't lay a charge until we have all the facts and they have checked by a superior.

I am not comfortable with that concept. I wouldn't be impressed if I was charged with something, banged up in the Hilton for a couple of weeks or longer whilst they investigate to see if you have in fact committed an offence. Then they determine that you have done nothing wrong and it is on your way, no sorry for the custody or depriving you of your liberties. Geez If we tried to do that in Australia we would probably find ourselves facing false imprisonment charges. We can't lay a charge until we have all the facts and they have checked by a superior.

That's why you need insurance with bail bond.

It really does not matter whether you're comfortable with the system yes ir no, it is the system.

• Like 1

she has probably been arrested on suspision of causing death by wreckless or dangerouse driving, same can happen in the west and then you are bailed to return whilst the police continue there inquires, after my accident here, about 3 months after i was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, fingerprinted and had my picture taken but no bail was neccessary, it was not until the day of court ( which is concidered 1st day of proceedings that i was required to make bail either cash 120,000 or land title ect cash is better becuae its quicker to secure the bond, if using land title ect can take 2 or 3 days to process and you must remain in jail until it had been processed! the day i arrived at court i had to wait in the court jail while my wife posted bail, i had to remain in jail (same day) while my case was read before the judge but because i had pleaded guilty and had agreed a settlement with family already, i was given a fine (payable at the court) and 2 year probation, i eas released from the court jail/holding cell immedietly and was able to get my bail money refunded there and then, had i not pleaded guilty or reached a prior settlement agreement with the family then my case would have nit been concluded that day! i would have been released from jail pending further court hearings under my bail terms, once the all subsequent hearings been attended and the case concluded i would be have been able to apply for my bail money to be refunded which would take up to 3 months!! and would have been returned by cheque, i onlu was able to get my bail money back the same day and in cash because we had only just paid it a few hours before hand and my case was concluded that day.

the police can legally charge her with causing death by wreckless or dangerous driving but they can not determain if she is guilty or not, that is for the court to decide, unless she of course pleads guilty in which case the police still can not punish her or fine her, they must submit the case to the district attorney for that amphur who will in turn decide to prosecute her or not, if they go ahead then her case will be heard in court and any fines probation ect can only be impossed by the court, the police can only fine people for crimes that do not need to be heard in court, i.e fighting can ve dealt with by fining the persons concerned 500 baht (as long as both parties plead guilty and are not suing each other) but more serious crimes i.e drink driving causing death by dangerous driving all require thr case being hears in court and all fines punishments be decided by and handed out by the court.