Central, southern regions brace for heavy rain, flash foods

webfact

Central, southern regions brace for heavy rain, flash foods
By English News

13838801373908-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Nov 8 -- The Meteorological Department of Thailand has warned the country's central and southern regions to brace for heavy rain and possible flash flooding from an active low pressure weather system.

The weather agency said in its latest statement that the low pressure cell covers the upper Gulf of Thailand and the upper South so that heavy rain is likely in the lower central and southern regions, particularly in Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan, Chumphon and Surat Thani provinces.

Strong winds and 2-3 metre waves are expected in the upper Gulf of Thailand.

The department has warned residents to be aware of severe weather. The active low pressure areas will move to the upper Andaman Sea on Saturday.

Raywat Kruadaeng, chief of Prachuap Khiri Khan weather office, said his office is closely coordinating with the provincial disaster response agency to monitor the weather situation.

He said that the expected heavy rain could cause forest runoff and flash flooding.

In Narathiwat, the provincial governor Nattapong Sirichana has ordered the agencies concerned to monitor the weather round the clock and be prepared to alert residents of the severe weather.

Meanwhile, the department said typhoon "Haiyan", moving across the Philippines, is forecast to move near the coast of Central Vietnam on Sunday and Monday.

It will then weaken rapidly due to the impact of the cool and dry air mass from China to bring rainfall over the eastern part of Thailand's Northeast. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-11-08

We were here in Hua Hin last night and this morning staying at the Novotel and the hotel was ruined by rain and winds. Reception and restaurant area was drenched by the rain. A few pics here...post-153453-13838964040843_thumb.jpgpost-153453-13838964230315_thumb.jpgpost-153453-13838964480094_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recently retired and decided to take a long holiday in Thailand and visit a lot of places I hadn't been to. This weather has totally ruined it as the only places accessible are ones that I have already been to.

Sorry to hear that

It's ok up north though at the moment

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

I recently retired and decided to take a long holiday in Thailand and visit a lot of places I hadn't been to. This weather has totally ruined it as the only places accessible are ones that I have already been to.

It's the tail end of the rainy season in the tropics. Mother nature at work. With a bit of planning ahead you could have changed your holiday to a later date to suit the weather rather than expecting the weather to suit your holiday schedule. By the way, hope you enjoy the rest of your stay.

Sorry to hear that mate. This is just a freak of nature and will past in a day or two. You said 'long holiday' so you should enjoy the rest of November/Dec if you are here that long as the weather will be real nice. Hot in the day, cool in the evening. Perfect. Enjoy your holiday.

We were here in Hua Hin last night and this morning staying at the Novotel and the hotel was ruined by rain and winds. Reception and restaurant area was drenched by the rain. A few pics here...attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1383896417.563446.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1383896436.628726.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1383896461.445279.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's a shame - its a really pleasant hotel and one of the nice things about it is that it is so open and breezy. I am sure the staff will do a great job in cleaning up - they seem like a good crew.