Russian tourist dies after Phuket massage

webfact

i own a very successful massage business in patong, all new customers are sat down and have to fill in a questionnaire regarding medical conditions, this was supplied by the Thai authorities and we gladly welcomed it, we also ask please make us aware of any problem area's, if a lady is pregnant, we simply won't massage her, average massage girls train for a few hours to get a certificate to cover them in the naughty massage places, our masseurs train a minimum of 150 hours, tested and re-tested then all certificates awarded via a independent assessor, same as 5 star hotels, when people say Thai's are naturals at massage, i say " what would you rather have, a natural born dentist or a fully trained and qualified one" the trained dentist every time!!!!!, so go to a qualified masseur, you can't muck about especially regarding proper Thai massage techniques, it's a real shame about the young Russian guy that died, i'm sure he must have had a underlying medical condition, again a terrible thing to happen!!!!!

Well, in your case you obviously take the business very seriously, as I am sure some others do; but not the vast majority, who lay into people as though they were a slab of meat; with no real understanding of the physical damage that can be inflicted. I wouldn't be at all surprised, from what you've written, that YOU have insurance to cover any contingencies - but just my own speculation!

Nice to hear that at least somebody takes the 'Massage business' seriously - good luck with the business.

I think there are a lot of injuries from Thai massage we never hear about. Obviously a sudden death like this we would tend to hear about it. I am sure many of these massage workers are not properly skilled and trained and has been said medical screening is pretty much unheard of.

This unfortunate man probably thought he was going in for something relaxing. Thai massage is often not relaxing at all. I especially think the groin pressure thing and the quick head twisting are extremely questionable from a medical point of view, especially in the hands of the unskilled.

This is one of the reasons I stopped going to a chiropractor despite still getting back pain. The neck twist can prove fatal

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

There is a helluva difference between a 'Trained Chiropractor' and your average 'Thai Masseuse'. Under these circumstances they DO know what they are doing - speaking from personal experience now.

i own a very successful massage business in patong, all new customers are sat down and have to fill in a questionnaire regarding medical conditions, this was supplied by the Thai authorities and we gladly welcomed it, we also ask please make us aware of any problem area's, if a lady is pregnant, we simply won't massage her, average massage girls train for a few hours to get a certificate to cover them in the naughty massage places, our masseurs train a minimum of 150 hours, tested and re-tested then all certificates awarded via a independent assessor, same as 5 star hotels, when people say Thai's are naturals at massage, i say " what would you rather have, a natural born dentist or a fully trained and qualified one" the trained dentist every time!!!!!, so go to a qualified masseur, you can't muck about especially regarding proper Thai massage techniques, it's a real shame about the young Russian guy that died, i'm sure he must have had a underlying medical condition, again a terrible thing to happen!!!!!

Well, in your case you obviously take the business very seriously, as I am sure some others do; but not the vast majority, who lay into people as though they were a slab of meat; with no real understanding of the physical damage that can be inflicted. I wouldn't be at all surprised, from what you've written, that YOU have insurance to cover any contingencies - but just my own speculation!

Nice to hear that at least somebody takes the 'Massage business' seriously - good luck with the business.

Yip, regarding insurance, we have full liability insurance, when dealing with the general public i take there care of duty very seriously, your so correct about untrained masseurs, they can do more damage then not, we depend on reviews on internet review sites, if the business is professional, value for money and all above board it works fine, but the general public are quite savvy, so within a short time there reviews can easily take a business down, i've seen owners lie and deceive about there business, i explain you lie and you'll get found out and the reviews will reflect that loader then ever, there out of business now, we have nearly 400 honest reviews and i personally thank them for taking the time to review us, thanks again for the well wishes regarding our business

• Like 2

If you were to count the number of deaths occurring during massage, as a percentage of the total number of massages performed on the Island every year, the figure would be infinitesimal. (excluding sexual massage)

.....what about back or neck problems either immediately or thereafter??.... There are SO MANY poorly trained masseuses on the game here that one really has to be careful.

this may be a bit off topic ...but i know myself that it took me few months to realize why i had such bad lower back pain.,it was from the ''traditional''thai massage,they have no buisness twisting and bending you they way they do...they have so much gratification when they hear a joint ''pop''.....just a word of warning let the professionals crack your bones,these woman offer a service,it is a massage not an ''adjustment''....