Fish pellets, bangkok

jackinbkk

I used to buy these in Phuket and fished them there and in Hat Yai. Hat Yai was actually the first place I ever fished them. Does anyone know where they can be bought in Bangkok. I fancy some experimentation.

I need to find where to buy Lum, the big Supercheap which sold the fish pellets and Lum has now burnt down, although buying from somewhere in Cha am would be better as I will now be using the bike to go fishing, just a note about the sweetcorn, apparently this has now been banned from BSR, not sure what the reason is but a google brings up that fish and humans are unable to digest sweetcorn so I am guessing this is the reason, it's not a good bait here anyway so no loss!!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yeah sweetcorn wouldnt be my first choice in Thailand, but I had seen it used for carp in BSR before. Bread or lam would be number 1. I saw the videos of the supercheap. All that wooden structure inside must have really helped. Remembering the place from when I used to go there all the time it was probably an accident just waiting to happen.

Rice bran is supposed to be very cheap in Asia so I'm sure a big supplier should be easy to find and that the cost will be significantly lower than tackle shops or fishing parks.

Edited by jackinbkk

...supercheap was where i got pellets in Phuket Posted Image

Lots of oil they probably helped.

It's not a problem, the lads from Cha am fishing park will get for me, the last time it was 20 bht per kilo, i see no point in experimenting with other baits here, it all comes down to bread in the end, for me driving 10 hrs to go fishing is a long way, the last thing I want to be doing is trying different baits that probably will not work or only work as good as bread, everything takes bread it's the best bait on the planet!!

...supercheap was where i got pellets in Phuket biggrin.png

It's not a problem, the lads from Cha am fishing park will get for me, the last time it was 20 bht per kilo, i see no point in experimenting with other baits here, it all comes down to bread in the end, for me driving 10 hrs to go fishing is a long way, the last thing I want to be doing is trying different baits that probably will not work or only work as good as bread, everything takes bread it's the best bait on the planet!!

usually fish farms use pellets and lam to grow juvenile fish so you'll often find that they work great. The mekong cats can't be bread in the lakes from what I've been told. They have to be bought from fish farms. That's all lakes in Thailand and many of the fish found in rivers and canals are escaped pond fish. Many fish in the actual big rivers are farm fish raised and re-stocked by the fisheries dept to stop extinction. There's a method in the madness. I also fish multiple rods. Pellets would only be on one.

...supercheap was where i got pellets in Phuket Posted Image

usually fish farms use pellets and lam to grow juvenile fish so you'll often find that they work great. The mekong cats can't be bread in the lakes from what I've been told. They have to be bought from fish farms. That's all lakes in Thailand and many of the fish found in rivers and canals are escaped pond fish. Many fish in the actual big rivers are farm fish raised and re-stocked by the fisheries dept to stop extinction. There's a method in the madness. I also fish multiple rods. Pellets would only be on one.

There is nothing wrong in trying different baits but my time fishing Is precious so I stick to what works!

I used to use bags of kibbled cat food for grass carp and catfish back in Texas. Seemed to work better than dog food, but that may have been down to the size of the bits.

In fact, people tie flies to resemble the fish pellets that they feed in the hatcheries. They work great on newly stocked fish.

I wouldn't bust my gut trying to find fish pellets. I think anything in a wide range of the right shape, size and color would work fine.

But if you want to find fish pellets in BKK, the twin tackle shops 400 meters from On Nut BTS in either direction had bags of them last time I visited them.

Edited by impulse

I used to use bags of kibbled cat food for grass carp and catfish back in Texas. Seemed to work better than dog food, but that may have been down to the size of the bits.

In fact, people tie flies to resemble the fish pellets that they feed in the hatcheries. They work great on newly stocked fish.

I wouldn't bust my gut trying to find fish pellets. I think anything in a wide range of the right shape, size and color would work fine.

But if you want to find fish pellets in BKK, the twin tackle shops 400 meters from On Nut BTS in either direction had bags of them last time I visited them.

Great thanks!

It's just something I want to try. I fish pellets on a feeder a lot in the UK and had some incredible success in Hat Yai. It's just for fun.

Just FYI,

The twin shops at On-Nut merged a couple of months ago, and the one 'down' Sukhumvit from the skytrain station closed.

It's still owned by the same family, they just did'nt want to be bothered running the two different shops from what they told me.

The stock etc. looked pretty much the same, so I don't think much else has changed.

Steve

• Like 1

Just FYI,

The twin shops at On-Nut merged a couple of months ago, and the one 'down' Sukhumvit from the skytrain station closed.

It's still owned by the same family, they just did'nt want to be bothered running the two different shops from what they told me.

The stock etc. looked pretty much the same, so I don't think much else has changed.

Steve

Thanks for the info Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_0302_1.jpg

Well I found some pellets and funnily enough the fish I caught on them were tiny! biggrin.png

So it would seem the smallest fish are seeking the pellets. Probably because the adults have been on other foods for a long time and have forgotten about pellets.

While this may sound like a good reason to avoid pellets, it could actually be a great way to target small catfish on very light tackle.

I've found those small pellets work great to attract fish into your swim if you place them in a pva bag tied close to your hookbait. It doesn't seem to matter what the hookbait is.

Can you get PVA bags in Thailand?

I resorted to buying some last time I was in China because I haven't found them in Thailand. Yet.

I've found those small pellets work great to attract fish into your swim if you place them in a pva bag tied close to your hookbait. It doesn't seem to matter what the hookbait is.

Can you get PVA bags in Thailand?

I resorted to buying some last time I was in China because I haven't found them in Thailand. Yet.

Don't honestly know as I've always brought my own from the UK. Hope someone else can advise.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

you could always make your own like you would make bolies in the uk,

just use RAM, people say lam because the thais cant say r,

mix ram with egg add what ever flavour you want,,(get some shrimp mash them up and add(

make into round balls and boil for a minute or so, dry on paper, then if you wanted to add fish oil to soak into them,

i always made my own bolies in the uk,

only difference was i used semolina, soya powder, were here i use ram,

very easy my freinds,

give it a try nothing to loose