Spray on bandages for pets -- available in Thailand?

Sheryl

I'm caring for a kitten that had a bad injury to the distal part of the hind leg and lost the toes from it. The wound has healed nicely expect for the very tip of it (right where the toes would normally attach) which remains open though clean. He walks just fine on what is left of the foot.

I have been doing daily dressing changes but at this point they no longer seem to help, in fact I think they may now be counterproductive since removing the old dressing irritates the wound., I think it needs to form a scab undisturbed. But I don't dare leave it open as there is no skin layer yet and it would readily infect, and it also readily bleeds if not protected etc.

In the West there are spray-on pet bangages (Vetericyn and the like). Does anyone know if there are similiar products available here?

Or if not, dare I spray "spray plaster" for humans on the wound?

I have nano spray and could use that first.

Advice appreciated. The kitten will certainly be happier if I can stop wrapping the leg..in order to get the dressings to stay on, I have to wrap all the way to the ankle which he hates.

• Like 1

I use Liquid Skin (also branded as New Skin) from my days windsurfing, stings bad when applied but worth it.

http://newskinproducts.com/

My limited searches of Thai web-sites throw up lots of Beauty sites, so the association with "skin" in this situation is out of context.

I see that there are correctly related hits with the brand "Dermabond-Advanced‎" so this brand has Thai market penetration.

I would suggest Fascino Pharmacy and the like.

• Like 1

Safe on humans - I can't imagine that such liquids are "dangerous" on animals as "human" is a sub-set of misc mammal.

Yes other medication has affects internally but exposed dermis is going to be designed by nature to cope with a whole host of stuff the world has to throw at it.

I might speculate that such items are only certified for particular uses for commercial reason and many of them are down to marketing, licensing and patent rights issues.

There was an episode of Shark Tank I think a few years ago where a Sport Healing-Heating Bandage was being touted, the maker had all the rights and patents for this product that they invented but needed money for a launch in the sports market place. When the investor asked how they know it worked etc it was explained that the product was developed for racing horses but worked on humans suffering sprains too - identical product but different brand name and marketing required.

Probably not enough pet applications market place to justify animal testing (irony) to sell as a cat/dog safe product yet works without problem.

Have you never had a farm yard cut that you wanted to treat fast and the nearest thing to hand is some Poultry Purple spray ?

Not killed me yet !

• Like 1

Glad to hear that the kitten is healing well and will not need to have the leg amputated. I've never seen the spray on bandage here, but haven't really looked for it. I use the purple spray, but it's just an antiseptic, not a bandage.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

Well the spray on bandage sets off howls of pain, so gave that up fast. Now using nano spray and then soffra-tulle bandage.

I am a little concerned that the very tip of the stump may not heal (which is one of the things the vets mentioned in advocating amputation) since he puts weight on it when walking. I may yet have to try a prosthetic device to replace the tip of the foot.

• Like 1

why wold it be problematic with a cat. to tell the truth, when i worked with vets here, if a cat's skin was nicked (and they have super paper thin skin w/o the fur on it), we used super glue to put together the skin instead of a suture (nicks from shaving badly furred cats, or when shaving around an area for surgery...

cats are sensitive to pest control chemicals but dont think that plastic skin would cause a problem? check the ingredients individually may be on a cat forum someone could tell you?

• Like 1

Animals are tougher than you think..

There's a three legged soi dog near me, his 4th leg was hanging off for weeks (I guess after being run over), it finally dropped off and he now happily goes about his business like nothing had happened.

I think you should let it scab over and heal, but maybe give it some antibiotics if possible in the meantime.

• Like 1

He's already on antibiotcs, has been from the start (over a month and a half now) but can't stay on them for life. resistance and other problems.

Letting it scab over and heal is precisely the objective here, problem is that it doesn't seem to be happening. It healed fine short of the point where he walks on it but that area remains raw and open.

Vets had warned me that stumps tend not to heal well and that was the basis for their insisting should amputate. I am hoping they'll be proven wrong as he walks very well with what foot he has left, but he can't have open unprotected flesh on the stump forever without serious complications sooner or later. For now I keep it carefully wrapped in sterile bandages and do daily dressing changes but I can hardly find him a home while he requires all that.

Local vet suggested tegaderm wound filler along with nano spray so have switched to that. Fingers crossed it makes a difference. If he stayed off the leg for a month that would help but impossible to enforce, he's an active 2/12 month old kitten now so running and jumping all over the place.

• Like 1

Knock on wood, the nano spray and tegaderm seem to be helping.

Oh he is thriving all right to put it mildly. A happier, healthier kitten (except for the foot wound) cannot be found. Nor on more attached to people. An absolute sweetheart. And gorgeous to boot.

And an angrier, more depressed cat than the one in my avatar also cannot be found. For which reason deeply as I love this kitten, i will have to find him another home once I am sure his foot is completely healed. She has made more than one serious attempt to kill him and life around here is a complex juggling act to make sure the two are never in the same room.sad.png

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hello, can you tell me what I can used to help heal a cut paw ?

I read about Vetericyn but cannot find it here ? So what else can I do ?

And should I make a new bandage every 3 days or just let it dry (but use a dog collar to stop him from licking ?)

And where can i buy antibiotics for dogs ?

Thank you so much for your help.

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

I would use Bactroban as topical antiseptic but you'll need a conical collar to stop the dog licking it off. 

I believe you can give dogs Amoxicillin. 

Thank you, where do you buy Bactroban ?

And I cannot find Tegarderm hydrogel ? any help ?

On 7/3/2019 at 8:01 AM, Sheryl said:

I got the Tegaderm from a Vet.

An upscale large pharmacy might also have it.

Where in Thailand do you live?

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Pattaya or Bangkok please ?

What is exactly the tegaderm ? is it similar to bactigras ? But bactigras costs 200 thb, what about tegaderm ?

thank you so much.

Edited by plfomylo

The Tegaderm hydrogel is something that helps promote healing and keeps the wound moist under the bandage.

I hsd assumed you were way off in the boondocks given appatent unwillingness yo just take the dog to a vet. If cist is the issue can get excellent treatment at very very low cost at either of the 2 main govetnment vet hospitals in Bangkok:

Chulalongkorn Univ

Kasetsart Univ small animal clinic

If not then there are plenty of private vets in Pattaya. Thonglor Pet Hospital on Sukhumvit Rd has gotten good reviews from some TV members. So has Siam Country Pet Hospital.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app