American suspected of shoplifting Goats Cheese from North Pattaya Supermarket

webfact

oh my ....... he needs 3 months in jail , 50,000 baht fine and community services ....... for a pack of goat cheese.. cheesy.gif

...while Thais get a 500 Baht fine for an attack with a deadly weapon?

It's normally just an official caution in Melbourne, Australia for 1st offence and if the value doesn't exceed $100 (AUD) Admit the offence and the caution will be issued at the police station.

What's that for...so next time you'll exercise more caution so as not to get caught? I prefer the Saudi "caution": "Don't do it again or you won't have any hands."

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

StoryWriter: please do not use the single descriptor "American" in title of story. The man is not an American.

Is he travelling on a American passport, The only true Americans are the Indians from what I was taught in history.

Why is that...didn't they come from Asia? That would make them Chinese, Mongolian, or Russian perhaps.

What if you as the suspect were to point back at the ones pointing the fingers at every photo opportunity?

If it were me, and I was innocent, I'd be pointing right back and not give them a chance to take my photo.

How much extra you wanna pay for that?

Edited by JSixpack

Yeah, and I'm STILL waiting for the local press to do a story about an actual important issue, like why Pattaya doesn't have REAL taxi meters or even coverage of most of the town with baht bus buses.

maybe you could start your own newspaper / news website / television channel

i'm sure it will be popular if you cover the massive breaking news like bus routes

• Like 2

It's always pointed out not to point a finger at others in Thailand because it's considered rude and they obviously don't like it. So then why the hell they do it to others if they don't want it to be done to them? And it's not an excuse that they do it to arrested individuals. You said don't do it so don't do it. I like Thais but they are so childish.

Perhaps it's rude to point at someone because it suggests they have done something wrong or that they are a bad person. I think if you catch someone stealing from you you are entitled to point.

Is this a real news story? When I read the title I laughed and when I saw the picture of the girl pointing at the man I was sure it was just a joke. There can't really be any news site that reports a shoplifting for 200 baht of goat cheese, can there? But then I started reading the posts and now I'm not sure if everybody is being sarcastic and just making jokes about a spoof story or if it's real. Will someone please tell me if this is a real news story and website. I think it is just a joke, right?

You forget, all farangs in LOS are deemed to be millionaires, and so shoplifting really is the pits in the eyes of folk here. Noooooooooooo respect given to these folk. tend to agree. If the guy is a shop lifter then he can expect ridicule.

• Like 1

Is this a real news story? When I read the title I laughed and when I saw the picture of the girl pointing at the man I was sure it was just a joke. There can't really be any news site that reports a shoplifting for 200 baht of goat cheese, can there? But then I started reading the posts and now I'm not sure if everybody is being sarcastic and just making jokes about a spoof story or if it's real. Will someone please tell me if this is a real news story and website. I think it is just a joke, right?

You forget, all farangs in LOS are deemed to be millionaires, and so shoplifting really is the pits in the eyes of folk here. Noooooooooooo respect given to these folk. tend to agree. If the guy is a shop lifter then he can expect ridicule.

OMG, so it is a real story and there is a real web site that reports things like a foreigner caught shoplifting. That is Unreal !!!! Thanks for the explanation about why it is a big story in Thailand. This country is full of surprises. Maybe there are too many for me to live here.

BTW, I don`t think I've learned enough about this country yet to forget very much. I think I have a lot to learn.

Just send the "silly old goat" home if he is convicted. Maybe Obama will make him an advisor to Secretary of State "Lurch." Together they could solve the problems of the world and then think about how to get the USA out of the N'ua.

OMG, so it is a real story and there is a real web site that reports things like a foreigner caught shoplifting. That is Unreal !!!! Thanks for the explanation about why it is a big story in Thailand. This country is full of surprises. Maybe there are too many for me to live here.

BTW, I don`t think I've learned enough about this country yet to forget very much. I think I have a lot to learn.

Perhaps............smile.png

StoryWriter: please do not use the single descriptor "American" in title of story. The man is not an American.

Is he travelling on a American passport, The only true Americans are the Indians from what I was taught in history.

Why is that...didn't they come from Asia? That would make them Chinese, Mongolian, or Russian perhaps.

UMMM I think he means these Indians post-62652-0-53260800-1384329999_thumb.j

Not like this one .... post-62652-0-58188600-1384330035_thumb.j

Can i ask a question. Does this shop give printed till receipts like 7/11 etc?

I'm pretty sure that they do but I don't recall if it's all in Thai or not.

Ok. so i expect even for Thai police it should be easy enough for them to match up the items... I do note that the report says suspected.. I wonder why that is!

A 74 year old male caught stealing, or suspected of stealing a 210 baht goat cheese pack and thrown in a holding cell for how long?

What sort of jail sentence and fine can this guy expect, insane. The financial hardship caused to the owner must be negligible.

This is nothing more than a petty crime. Just pay the 210 baht and walk.

Edited by JohnP1752

I Ewe her before I think her name is "Ba" bra. All joking aside this is mainly a farang forum who put this up here in the first place to ridicule this poor man for all any of you know he could have Alzheimer he looks bewildered to me. Anyway he's not doing any worse than most of the Thai's do to us, only difference they do it blatantly and barefaced when they rob us. I hope all goes well for the poor chap and he's allowed to stay

I expect similar atterntion and news space allocated to all similar alleged shopliftings of products worth 200baht in all media including the newspaper which covered this. Wait on I shall have to make a purchase of shares in a newsprint company as all newspapers will then be about 100 pages thick.

It's always pointed out not to point a finger at others in Thailand because it's considered rude and they obviously don't like it. So then why the hell they do it to others if they don't want it to be done to them? And it's not an excuse that they do it to arrested individuals. You said don't do it so don't do it. I like Thais but they are so childish.

Shoplifting is very rude.

Why are some people always find a way to blame the Thai people. blink.png

• Like 2

Just send the "silly old goat" home if he is convicted. Maybe Obama will make him an advisor to Secretary of State "Lurch." Together they could solve the problems of the world and then think about how to get the USA out of the N'ua.

Just send the "silly old goat" home if he is convicted

Indeed!!!!!! lets make ALL minor crimes deportable offences, starting with you next time you break the speed limit...or some minor law....there'll not be many folks left here if you had your way....lets hope they splash you all over cyberspace first though with some outraged old boot pointing at you so everyone can judge and pass sentence on you first....would be a nice keepsake for your family....

Great. thinking....

• Like 1