Parking a car at the Cambodian boarder.

mikehux

I can only speak about the Aranyaprathet/Poipet crossing. There is good long term parking on the Aranyaprathet side adjacent to the border point. Head for the border crossing and it's on the left at a cross road just before you get to the check area. It's ground level with sun shelters for parking cars. Can't remember the price but it's reasonable.

• 2 months later...

why not take ur car in with u at Osmach?

its a joy having ur own car in Cambodia

You're right, that's what I'll do at the first opportunity, however since my car is brand new and still has red dealer plates, I will in the first instance have to wait for the permanent white plates to arrive before I will be allowed to drive across an international border as I don't believe cars with red dealer plates can be driven outside the country. Secondly, as the car is on finance I'll also need to get permission from the bank (this seems to be doable and we already discussed this before even picking up the car at the dealership).

I have quite a bit of experience driving Cambodian registered cars inside Cambodia and the main highways are a breeze with little traffic compared to Thailand. The lack of traffic lights and other obstacles also allows for decent driving speeds - a fairly consistent 100km/h outside the main cities is doable, unlike in Thailand with it's faster-slower traffic.

you must be forgetting he pot holes and construction many of the roads.

add in ur driving a car with the steering wheel on the opposite side.

In my thousands of kms driving in Cambodia over much of the country in the past 5 years i don't think i have ever averaged 100 kms./hour for more than 10 minutes at a time.

and god forbid driving at night.

In my thousands of kms driving in Cambodia over much of the country in the past 5 years i don't think i have ever averaged 100 kms./hour for more than 10 minutes at a time.

Steering wheel on the wrong side of the road is no problem; up to 1/3 of all Cambodian cars, particularly those driving in the western provinces have this arrangement. Just last week my driver managed to do a steady 100km/h average for a lengthy period of time for much of the distance between Poipet and Sisophon and Battambang and Phnom Penh (the road between Sisophon and Battambang has some poor stretches hence took a little while). We drove at night, leaving Poipet at 6.25pm, getting into Battambang just before 8 for dinner, and left Battambang again at 8.25pm before arriving in Phnom Penh (along the riverside) around 11.45pm. Traffic was very light, particularly after leaving Battambang.

I have driven a Cambodian vehicle from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh in the evening before; wasn't very enjoyable but I managed to arrive in Phnom Penh within around 3.5 hours, driving at significantly lower speeds than on my journey down earlier that day.

In Thailand I have driven a LHD Lao vehicle at speeds up to 150km/h although in general kept a similar speed to other vehicles on the road (about 100-110km/h on rural stretches).

Steering wheel on the wrong side of the road is no problem; up to 1/3 of all Cambodian cars, particularly those driving in the western provinces have this arrangement. Just last week my driver managed to do a steady 100km/h average for a lengthy period of time for much of the distance between Poipet and Sisophon and Battambang and Phnom Penh (the road between Sisophon and Battambang has some poor stretches hence took a little while). We drove at night, leaving Poipet at 6.25pm, getting into Battambang just before 8 for dinner, and left Battambang again at 8.25pm before arriving in Phnom Penh (along the riverside) around 11.45pm. Traffic was very light, particularly after leaving Battambang.

I have driven a Cambodian vehicle from Sihanoukville to Phnom Penh in the evening before; wasn't very enjoyable but I managed to arrive in Phnom Penh within around 3.5 hours, driving at significantly lower speeds than on my journey down earlier that day.

In Thailand I have driven a LHD Lao vehicle at speeds up to 150km/h although in general kept a similar speed to other vehicles on the road (about 100-110km/h on rural stretches).

Some tourist vans in SR that are being used the driver is on the incorrect (Thai) side.

• Like 1