Marriage registry fees etc.

LUSHGOAT

Hi my friend is getting married to a Cambodian lady and he is wondering what it costs to get married legally excluding the cost of wedding ceremony and money to her parents. I will be grateful for any help and advice thank you.

I seem to remember that, if over 50, one cannot marry a Cambodian lady. There is a fellow who solved this, i think, by getting married elsewhere. He tells his story under the title: "Anybody been given a woman?....", which can be searched outside this site. He and other people there may have your answers.

I myself will be beginning the process of marrying my Khmer fiancée of 2 years soon, the below information is up to date, I am not sure of the exact prices for everything yet as information is hard to obtain here, but from friends who have married here I understand that it is not cheap and could end up costing a couple thousand dollars (without the wedding). Some people have a local wedding ceremony, but don't go through the legal process (many over 50's seem to be doing this due to the age restriction on foreigners marrying a Khmer woman). Legal Require­ments for Get­ting Mar­ried in Cambodia

Allot­ted time:

Allow at least 31–52 days from arrival in Cam­bo­dia to wed­ding date to process paper­work (21 days of res­i­dency, 10 days before a wed­ding cer­e­mony can pro­ceed and an addi­tional 3 weeks to post Inten­tion to Marry, unless a Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment has been obtained pre­vi­ously in your home coun­try). We rec­om­mend giv­ing your­self more time due to prepa­ra­tion, week­ends, hol­i­days or unex­pected delays.

Nec­es­sary legal documents:

Please note that all doc­u­ments must be sub­mit­ted in Cam­bo­dian (Khmer) or Eng­lish. Con­tact the Embassy in your home coun­try or your Embassy in Cam­bo­dia for an autho­rized trans­la­tor. If your doc­u­ments are trans­lated, be pre­pared to sub­mit the orig­i­nal copies in your native lan­guage for ver­i­fi­ca­tion as well as the trans­lated version.

• Cer­ti­fied copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Pass­ports and cer­ti­fied copies (obtained from your Embassy in Cam­bo­dia or the Cam­bo­dian Embassy in your res­i­dent country)
  • Visas and photocopies
  • Cer­tifi­cate of No Impediment*/Affidavit of Sin­gle Status
  • Affi­davit of Mar­riage (sworn at the Civil Reg­istry Office in Cam­bo­dia before the Con­sol or Vice-Consol)
  • Crim­i­nal Records
  • Cer­tifi­cate on Pro­fes­sion (show­ing monthly income)
  • Divorce or death cer­tifi­cates, if applicable
  • Med­ical Cer­tifi­cate from Cal­mette Hos­pi­tal in Phnom Penh
  • Mar­riage Appli­ca­tion Form (a sim­i­lar form exists for two for­eign­ers apply­ing for mar­riage in Cam­bo­dia): A writ­ten request for mar­riage appli­ca­tions must be sent to the Min­istry of For­eign Affairs. You will need to know the area or province that you plan to marry. The appli­ca­tion lists sup­port­ing doc­u­ments that must be attached to the appli­ca­tion. Some of these doc­u­ments may need to be legal­ized at the couple’s Embassy in Cam­bo­dia or prior to leav­ing at the Cam­bo­dian Embassy in your res­i­dent coun­try. Upon approval of the bride and groom’s appli­ca­tion, the appli­ca­tion must then be sub­mit­ted to the Civil Registrar.

Legal require­ments to get mar­ried:

• Cer­e­mony (Civil/Religious)

Civil and reli­gious wed­dings are legally rec­og­nized wed­dings pre­formed in Cam­bo­dia. The cer­e­mony is pre­formed in Cam­bo­dian. If either party does not speak Cam­bo­dian,

an inter­preter should be hired.

• Age and Relation

The bride must be at least 18 years of age. The groom must be at least 20 years of age. They can­not be related by blood, mar­riage or adoption.

Note: Non-Cambodian Male Cit­i­zens plan­ning to marry a Cam­bo­dian woman must be no older than 50 years of age, with a monthly income that gen­er­ates a min­i­mum of USD $2,500.

• Wit­nesses

Two wit­nesses over 18 years of age must be present for the cer­e­mony and pro­vide their passports.

• Reg­istry

Both par­ties must stay within the dis­trict of their Embassy or Con­sulate in Cam­bo­dia for 21 days prior to fil­ing a Notice of Inten­tion to Marry. We rec­om­mend mak­ing an appoint­ment in advance with the Con­sol or Vice-Consol, to be assured that you can deliver, in per­son, your oath of inten­tion to marry upon the com­ple­tion of your 21 day res­i­dency (this does not include the day you arrived).

Note: Take all paper­work and pho­to­copies of each to your Embassy and Civil Reg­istry Office in Cambodia.

At least 10 days prior to the wed­ding and 21 full days since your arrival in Cam­bo­dia, you will need to file your Notice of Inten­tion to Marry with the Civil Reg­istry Office. You will need to know where you will marry and who you plan to use as your mar­riage offi­cer. Here, you will also com­plete and sign an Affi­davit of Mar­riage.

Finally the Notice of Inten­tion to Marry will be posted, at the Con­sulate, for 3 weeks. Pend­ing objec­tions, your Embassy can pro­vide you with a Let­ter of No Imped­i­ment to Mar­riage. Bride and groom will show pass­ports and/or divorce or death certificates.

British Cit­i­zens can shorten their wait­ing period by apply­ing for a Super­in­ten­dent Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment prior to leav­ing for Cam­bo­dia. You would apply at the Reg­is­trar in your res­i­dent dis­trict of the United Kingdom.

Mar­riage certificate:

• Wed­dings must be reg­is­tered with the Civil Reg­istry Office in order to be rec­og­nized. Offi­cers can come to your wed­ding to sign doc­u­men­ta­tion. The new­ly­weds will give their thumbprints to reg­is­ter and receive their Mar­riage Certificate.
  • Mar­riage Cer­tifi­cates are issued from the Cheif of Com­mune, from the region in which the wed­ding cer­e­mony takes place.

*A Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment, is also known as a Sin­gle Sta­tus Affi­davit, Sin­gle Sta­tus Statu­tory Dec­la­ra­tion, Cer­tifi­cate of No Record, a Cer­tifi­cate of Legal Capac­ity to Con­tract Mar­riage, Cer­tifi­cate of Nulla Osta or a Cer­tifi­cate de cou­tume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This infor­ma­tion can change at any given moment. For up-to-date infor­ma­tion, con­tact your embassy in the coun­try in which you plan to marry.

Cambodia Marriage Registrar's Office

Phnom Penh Capital Hall

# 69, Preah Monivong Blvd., Sangkat Srah

Chak, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh

Cambodia

Tel/Fax: +855 23 430 681 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +855 23 430 681 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting

- See more at: http://marryabroad.co.uk/how-to-marry-in-cambodia.shtml#sthash.HgHvFv1y.dpuf

Hi thank you all for the reply you have really been helpful I have passed the info on to my friend in my opinion its ridiculous and an excuse to rip off farangs. I advised him to apply for a visa and bring her to Ireland then get married, does anyone know if he could get married in Thailand

I myself will be beginning the process of marrying my Khmer fiancée of 2 years soon, the below information is up to date, I am not sure of the exact prices for everything yet as information is hard to obtain here, but from friends who have married here I understand that it is not cheap and could end up costing a couple thousand dollars (without the wedding). Some people have a local wedding ceremony, but don't go through the legal process (many over 50's seem to be doing this due to the age restriction on foreigners marrying a Khmer woman). Legal Require­ments for Get­ting Mar­ried in Cambodia

Allot­ted time:

Allow at least 31–52 days from arrival in Cam­bo­dia to wed­ding date to process paper­work (21 days of res­i­dency, 10 days before a wed­ding cer­e­mony can pro­ceed and an addi­tional 3 weeks to post Inten­tion to Marry, unless a Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment has been obtained pre­vi­ously in your home coun­try). We rec­om­mend giv­ing your­self more time due to prepa­ra­tion, week­ends, hol­i­days or unex­pected delays.

Nec­es­sary legal documents:

Please note that all doc­u­ments must be sub­mit­ted in Cam­bo­dian (Khmer) or Eng­lish. Con­tact the Embassy in your home coun­try or your Embassy in Cam­bo­dia for an autho­rized trans­la­tor. If your doc­u­ments are trans­lated, be pre­pared to sub­mit the orig­i­nal copies in your native lan­guage for ver­i­fi­ca­tion as well as the trans­lated version.

• Cer­ti­fied copy of birth certificates
  • Valid Pass­ports and cer­ti­fied copies (obtained from your Embassy in Cam­bo­dia or the Cam­bo­dian Embassy in your res­i­dent country)
  • Visas and photocopies
  • Cer­tifi­cate of No Impediment*/Affidavit of Sin­gle Status
  • Affi­davit of Mar­riage (sworn at the Civil Reg­istry Office in Cam­bo­dia before the Con­sol or Vice-Consol)
  • Crim­i­nal Records
  • Cer­tifi­cate on Pro­fes­sion (show­ing monthly income)
  • Divorce or death cer­tifi­cates, if applicable
  • Med­ical Cer­tifi­cate from Cal­mette Hos­pi­tal in Phnom Penh
  • Mar­riage Appli­ca­tion Form (a sim­i­lar form exists for two for­eign­ers apply­ing for mar­riage in Cam­bo­dia): A writ­ten request for mar­riage appli­ca­tions must be sent to the Min­istry of For­eign Affairs. You will need to know the area or province that you plan to marry. The appli­ca­tion lists sup­port­ing doc­u­ments that must be attached to the appli­ca­tion. Some of these doc­u­ments may need to be legal­ized at the couple’s Embassy in Cam­bo­dia or prior to leav­ing at the Cam­bo­dian Embassy in your res­i­dent coun­try. Upon approval of the bride and groom’s appli­ca­tion, the appli­ca­tion must then be sub­mit­ted to the Civil Registrar.

Legal require­ments to get mar­ried:

• Cer­e­mony (Civil/Religious)

Civil and reli­gious wed­dings are legally rec­og­nized wed­dings pre­formed in Cam­bo­dia. The cer­e­mony is pre­formed in Cam­bo­dian. If either party does not speak Cam­bo­dian,
an inter­preter should be hired.

• Age and Relation

The bride must be at least 18 years of age. The groom must be at least 20 years of age. They can­not be related by blood, mar­riage or adoption.

Note: Non-Cambodian Male Cit­i­zens plan­ning to marry a Cam­bo­dian woman must be no older than 50 years of age, with a monthly income that gen­er­ates a min­i­mum of USD $2,500.

• Wit­nesses

Two wit­nesses over 18 years of age must be present for the cer­e­mony and pro­vide their passports.

• Reg­istry

Both par­ties must stay within the dis­trict of their Embassy or Con­sulate in Cam­bo­dia for 21 days prior to fil­ing a Notice of Inten­tion to Marry. We rec­om­mend mak­ing an appoint­ment in advance with the Con­sol or Vice-Consol, to be assured that you can deliver, in per­son, your oath of inten­tion to marry upon the com­ple­tion of your 21 day res­i­dency (this does not include the day you arrived).

Note: Take all paper­work and pho­to­copies of each to your Embassy and Civil Reg­istry Office in Cambodia.

At least 10 days prior to the wed­ding and 21 full days since your arrival in Cam­bo­dia, you will need to file your Notice of Inten­tion to Marry with the Civil Reg­istry Office. You will need to know where you will marry and who you plan to use as your mar­riage offi­cer. Here, you will also com­plete and sign an Affi­davit of Mar­riage.

Finally the Notice of Inten­tion to Marry will be posted, at the Con­sulate, for 3 weeks. Pend­ing objec­tions, your Embassy can pro­vide you with a Let­ter of No Imped­i­ment to Mar­riage. Bride and groom will show pass­ports and/or divorce or death certificates.

British Cit­i­zens can shorten their wait­ing period by apply­ing for a Super­in­ten­dent Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment prior to leav­ing for Cam­bo­dia. You would apply at the Reg­is­trar in your res­i­dent dis­trict of the United Kingdom.

Mar­riage certificate:

• Wed­dings must be reg­is­tered with the Civil Reg­istry Office in order to be rec­og­nized. Offi­cers can come to your wed­ding to sign doc­u­men­ta­tion. The new­ly­weds will give their thumbprints to reg­is­ter and receive their Mar­riage Certificate.
  • Mar­riage Cer­tifi­cates are issued from the Cheif of Com­mune, from the region in which the wed­ding cer­e­mony takes place.

*A Cer­tifi­cate of No Imped­i­ment, is also known as a Sin­gle Sta­tus Affi­davit, Sin­gle Sta­tus Statu­tory Dec­la­ra­tion, Cer­tifi­cate of No Record, a Cer­tifi­cate of Legal Capac­ity to Con­tract Mar­riage, Cer­tifi­cate of Nulla Osta or a Cer­tifi­cate de cou­tume (plus an MP2A form).

Note: This infor­ma­tion can change at any given moment. For up-to-date infor­ma­tion, con­tact your embassy in the coun­try in which you plan to marry.

Cambodia Marriage Registrar's Office

Phnom Penh Capital Hall
# 69, Preah Monivong Blvd., Sangkat Srah
Chak, Khan Daun Penh, Phnom Penh

Cambodia
Tel/Fax: +855 23 430 681 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting +855 23 430 681 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting

- See more at: http://marryabroad.co.uk/how-to-marry-in-cambodia.shtml#sthash.HgHvFv1y.dpuf