Virtues of high-speed rail system to Hua Hin

webfact

Virtues of high-speed rail system to Hua Hin

hst.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 November 2013 (NNT) - The Thailand Future 2020 mega project stands to upgrade the quality of life in Thailand within 7 year’s time, and will also pave the way to a change in how Thais travel. One of the gateways to the South is the Bangkok - Hua Hin line that will only take 1 hour.

One of the high-speed rail lines planned to be constructed is the Bangkok - Hua Hin line, which totals 225 km. and consists of 4 stops: Nakhon Pathom, Phetchaburi, Ratchaburi, and Hua Hin.

The Hua Hin line is considered important as Hua Hin itself is an ancient city rich in cultural identities and known for its tourism industry. Building the rail system would render easier access to the popular city. The Ministry of Transport expects the construction to be completed by the year 2019.

Merely connecting Bangkok to Hua Hin may not maximize economic potentials, as reports have indicated that a railway reaching Padang Besar, Malaysia, would provide the best revenue return. However, more research on investment and studies must still be incorporated into the project, which is conducted by the Transport Ministry and the Department of Land Transport.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-14 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem more sensible to double track with metre gauge track and get the benefit of through-running on the new tracks laid through Malaysia as well. They'll save most of the time upgrading the current system to 120 kmh and eliminating the delays at passing places, while that will also benefit freight, and it can be done in incremental steps. SC

This is without a doubt the most sensible comment I have seen so far regarding Thai Rail.

Now, if only the folks in Parliament can stop fighting long enough to do something about it in the interests of Thailand!

• Like 2

It indeed is a problem. Ordinary trains are not being maintained, accidents are frequent, and the risks contained in a hi speed project like this are great. But then again, Thailand has a right to a prestige project. If they do like UAE, they will have an international company run and maintain the train system, and it will be OK. With suitably high ticket prices that system might even sustain itself and does not need any public funding

Agree 100%.

It would seem more sensible to double track with metre gauge track and get the benefit of through-running on the new tracks laid through Malaysia as well. They'll save most of the time upgrading the current system to 120 kmh and eliminating the delays at passing places, while that will also benefit freight, and it can be done in incremental steps. SC

This is without a doubt the most sensible comment I have seen so far regarding Thai Rail.

Now, if only the folks in Parliament can stop fighting long enough to do something about it in the interests of Thailand!

Is this just not a small part of the plan China proposed a year or two ago?

I think the point that sank that one was that it did not include Chiang Mai as it would not be feasable but it did allow for a feasibly possible spur to Chiang Rai.

A friend in the travel business told me that the big push next year is to get the hordes of Russians to Hua Hin. He said that Phuket is overloaded and the Russians are liking Hua Hin.

There is a real reason to fear that. Has there been any talk of Pattaya or Phuket receiving benefits from the Russians other than tourist baht. All I hear about them is they bring the Mafia with them.sad.png Not Russian bashing just reporting what I hear about them.

I don't mean to hate on Thailand and I don't want to be accused of Thai bashing but it strikes me that there are two things that Thailand should NEVER get involved with:

1. Nuclear power.

2. High speed rail.

I'd agree with the nuclear power one.

But if the line was installed by the present team maintaining the line to Chiang Mai, we wouldn't have a problem, surely?

I've travelled by train in parts of China in excess of 300km/hr, but not really too sure that I'd try that here. whistling.gif

It indeed is a problem. Ordinary trains are not being maintained, accidents are frequent, and the risks contained in a hi speed project like this are great. But then again, Thailand has a right to a prestige project. If they do like UAE, they will have an international company run and maintain the train system, and it will be OK. With suitably high ticket prices that system might even sustain itself and does not need any public funding

Then why isn't private enterprise all over this money making scheme of yours.cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 1

Ridiculous speed claim - 225 km in an hour with 3 stops before Hua Hin.

Totally impossible!

Last I looked, km was for indicating distance, not speed. In any event, Bangkok - Hua Hin is only 144.32 km. Is that doable in 1 hour with three (quick?) stops?

huh? here's a new one! you have km (kilometres) you have kilometres per hour (km/hr)

In some places where they still use miles, they have mph (miles per hour)

Ridiculous speed claim - 225 km in an hour with 3 stops before Hua Hin.

Totally impossible!

Last I looked, km was for indicating distance, not speed.

And I quote:

"One of the gateways to the South is the Bangkok - Hua Hin line that will only take 1 hour.

One of the high-speed rail lines planned to be constructed is the Bangkok - Hua Hin line, which totals 225 km. and consists of 4 stops: Nakhon Pathom, Phetchaburi, Ratchaburi, and Hua Hin."

Seems llke 225 km in 1 hour to me!

• Like 1

I don't mean to hate on Thailand and I don't want to be accused of Thai bashing but it strikes me that there are two things that Thailand should NEVER get involved with:

1. Nuclear power.

2. High speed rail.

You forgot ...

3. Politics

4. Tourism

5. Education

6. Human Rights

No kidding. Once they get ordinary speed rail done right they might give HSR a shot. Dual carriageway, standard gauge, ordinary rail will have many more economic benefits than HSR. It would be so great to get freight off the highways and on to the rails where it belongs and where costs are so much lower.

• Like 1