Virtues of high-speed rail system to Hua Hin

webfact

It would seem more sensible to double track with metre gauge track and get the benefit of through-running on the new tracks laid through Malaysia as well. They'll save most of the time upgrading the current system to 120 kmh and eliminating the delays at passing places, while that will also benefit freight, and it can be done in incremental steps. SC

Stop being logical.

• Like 1

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would seem more sensible to double track with metre gauge track and get the benefit of through-running on the new tracks laid through Malaysia as well. They'll save most of the time upgrading the current system to 120 kmh and eliminating the delays at passing places, while that will also benefit freight, and it can be done in incremental steps. SC

Indeed. Malaysia has almost completed upgrading their line to the border to double track. Thailand should concentrate on improving the existing line to double track from the border to Bangkok.

I don't mean to hate on Thailand and I don't want to be accused of Thai bashing but it strikes me that there are two things that Thailand should NEVER get involved with:

1. Nuclear power.

2. High speed rail.

high speed rail in this country will NEVER work...costs to high and population to low....another scam to benefit the builders but not the country. So sad that such a great place is run but such people. I wonder how much they paid for their votes?

You guys are idiots. This line will make it possible to commute to central BKK from Phetchaburi and Ratchaburi within an hour. If you've ever been to Korea, Japan or even China, you'd know how beneficial such a toy can be.

Sent from my C6602 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ridiculous speed claim - 225 km in an hour with 3 stops before Hua Hin.

Totally impossible!

Last I looked, km was for indicating distance, not speed.

And I quote:

"One of the gateways to the South is the Bangkok - Hua Hin line that will only take 1 hour.

One of the high-speed rail lines planned to be constructed is the Bangkok - Hua Hin line, which totals 225 km. and consists of 4 stops: Nakhon Pathom, Phetchaburi, Ratchaburi, and Hua Hin."

Seems llke 225 km in 1 hour to me!

Since Bangkok-Hua Hin is around 144 km (probably as the crow flies), maybe they plan to put in some extra loops and zooms, roller coaster style, to make the ride more exciting. The revenue potential would be fantastic. Maybe they can throw in a a simulated derailment for an added thrill.

• Like 1

I don't mean to hate on Thailand and I don't want to be accused of Thai bashing but it strikes me that there are two things that Thailand should NEVER get involved with:

1. Nuclear power.

2. High speed rail.

1.I would agree anywhere

2.it would be much safer then the mini vans, why not invest in the country? USA does not and I would not copy that

Totally impossible!

Last I looked, km was for indicating distance, not speed. In any event, Bangkok - Hua Hin is only 144.32 km. Is that doable in 1 hour with three (quick?) stops?

huh? here's a new one! you have km (kilometres) you have kilometres per hour (km/hr)

In some places where they still use miles, they have mph (miles per hour)

Use of miles has been outlawed in Thailand. Something to do with a farang conspiracy, I suspect. Rumors are that Thailand is going to become the Hub of Metric Time. Some speculate that Thailand is in a different space-time continuum anyway, so that should be considered in any statements about distance/velocity/time within its borders.

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

lets put a side the whole competence angle for a second.

who is going to take this train? the price of construction is going to push the price of a ticket beyond what most average people would pay. i also think the typical hi-so are going to want to take their cars so they can drive around once they get to HH. it will be something to say "i took the high speed train" for the first year or so, then people are going to get economical and the this will be as much of a waste as buying three submarines.

• Like 2

And it would make a great bomb target for the Southerners too........... level crossing should be fun, safer to build bridges with zero access to anyone.

There is a real reason to fear that. Has there been any talk of Pattaya or Phuket receiving benefits from the Russians other than tourist baht. All I hear about them is they bring the Mafia with them.sad.png Not Russian bashing just reporting what I hear about them.

I've seen personally what Russian tourism has done to Goa and Pattaya. In Goa, groups of Russians often take over a bar, bringing their own drinks, refusing to pay for what they do consume and arranging all the tables and chairs into a circle, intimidating others from going in. Obviously I'm not saying that this is the case with all Russians - I've met some brilliant Russian travellers. But this is a problem that Russian tourism brings with it.

Remember that the British Empire was founded and maintained by private individuals and enterprises stealing trade and land with the blessing of their government.

lets put a side the whole competence angle for a second.

who is going to take this train? the price of construction is going to push the price of a ticket beyond what most average people would pay. i also think the typical hi-so are going to want to take their cars so they can drive around once they get to HH. it will be something to say "i took the high speed train" for the first year or so, then people are going to get economical and the this will be as much of a waste as buying three submarines.

Stop being so sensible and logicaltongue.png

I hope to God they do not try and plan it, build it, or construct any thing to do with it without the foreigners expertise. And not China, get the Japs, the Yanks or France who are experienced in this.

But I doubt it the high ups will insist they can do it all. Can you imagine the type of drivers, no licenses, late teens early twentys and a bottle Thai Whisky in the cabin. Be like the taxi bus drivers and never stop on Red lights. I will drive my car down there thanks.

1. Nuclear power.

2. High speed rail.

In general everything that involves high precision and high maintenance. I understand the desire for prestige projects, but one has to learn to crawl before one can walk.

I think they slither first?? especially in govt!

I hope to God they do not try and plan it, build it, or construct any thing to do with it without the foreigners expertise. And not China, get the Japs, the Yanks or France who are experienced in this.

But I doubt it the high ups will insist they can do it all. Can you imagine the type of drivers, no licenses, late teens early twentys and a bottle Thai Whisky in the cabin. Be like the taxi bus drivers and never stop on Red lights. I will drive my car down there thanks.

One would think it would be totally automated like the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART - 1970s technology). Given that, full-automation can have some downsides such as this recent, fatal BART accident. I would probably recommend the Japanese. The Yanks are too busy developing a high-speed rail boondoggle of their own in California.

A friend in the travel business told me that the big push next year is to get the hordes of Russians to Hua Hin. He said that Phuket is overloaded and the Russians are liking Hua Hin.

So, divert Aeroflot flights to HuaHin airport ........... ? upgrade it, if necessary.

Cheaper than building a new train line for the Russian tourists.

Edited by attento

I dont think they should get any high speed trains they are having enough problems keeping the ordinary trains on the tracks every other week there is a train derailed and they are not so fast so what is it gona be like a high speed.

The cost of lives at 225 klm,,,,,,does anyone care here....

Since Bangkok-Hua Hin is around 144 km (probably as the crow flies), maybe they plan to put in some extra loops and zooms, roller coaster style, to make the ride more exciting. The revenue potential would be fantastic. Maybe they can throw in a a simulated derailment for an added thrill.

I'd imagine...if they build this thing Thai style, they won't have to simulate anything!!!

Especially if the train drivers are as skilled as the mini van, bus and ferry boat drivers are. whistling.gif

Meanwhile, I wonder just how far one of these type trains will travel once it goes off the tracks at speed???

1. Nuclear power.

2. High speed rail.

I am ready fora 200 Million baht "assessment" study of a Nuke Powered High Speed train by the Gov cheesy.gif

It indeed is a problem. Ordinary trains are not being maintained, accidents are frequent, and the risks contained in a hi speed project like this are great. But then again, Thailand has a right to a prestige project. If they do like UAE, they will have an international company run and maintain the train system, and it will be OK. With suitably high ticket prices that system might even sustain itself and does not need any public funding

Great if they were to do like UAE but it would be a huge lose of face to let foreigners run such a prestige project so unlikely they would ever do that.

Totally impossible!

Last I looked, km was for indicating distance, not speed (reference to 225 km in article). In any event, Bangkok - Hua Hin is only about 144 km. Is that doable in 1 hour with three (quick?) stops?

Figuring 3, 5-minute stops plus 1-hour travel time with a conservative 160 km distance yields:

160 km / 75 min = 2.21 km/min = 128 km/hr (average speed)*

* = Note: Does not include time to re-rail the train after a derailment.

Ref your figure of 128km/hr--------- to get that you will have to have a top speed of maybe at least 200km/hr to get an average of 128km/hr

Agree 100%.

This is without a doubt the most sensible comment I have seen so far regarding Thai Rail.

Now, if only the folks in Parliament can stop fighting long enough to do something about it in the interests of Thailand!

Is this just not a small part of the plan China proposed a year or two ago?

I think the point that sank that one was that it did not include Chiang Mai as it would not be feasable but it did allow for a feasibly possible spur to Chiang Rai.

A friend in the travel business told me that the big push next year is to get the hordes of Russians to Hua Hin. He said that Phuket is overloaded and the Russians are liking Hua Hin.

There is a real reason to fear that. Has there been any talk of Pattaya or Phuket receiving benefits from the Russians other than tourist baht. All I hear about them is they bring the Mafia with them.sad.png Not Russian bashing just reporting what I hear about them.

Why would it not be feasible to go as far as Shang mai?----- Just asking?

This is without a doubt the most sensible comment I have seen so far regarding Thai Rail.

Now, if only the folks in Parliament can stop fighting long enough to do something about it in the interests of Thailand!

Of course that would make much more economic sense but the gravy train for corrupt politicians and officials would be a river from the hi speed train which will of course come from China and probably generate countless accidents and deaths, just like the existing system.

Before we get too excited about using the line ourselves we need to take into account the hassle of getting Hualumphon with luggage and the inconvenience of not having a car in HH.

• Like 1

Russians will go whereever they can put their black money and pay the police, whether it is Goa India, or anywhere Thailand.

Totally impossible!

Yes, difficult to believe it; in Europe,( France in 2007 ), on a 800 kms distance , the maximum average speed is 250 km/h , I think that on 225 kms ( not 144 km, which is an as crow flies distance ) with 4 stops the train can't have this speed because it looses much time at every stop . Unless the future trains ( built by China, screaming ! ) can go 300 kms/h; but is it useful for normal thai people , and at what price ?