Korean boy, 4, rescued from Phuket drain

Lite Beer

Korean boy, 4, rescued from Phuket drain
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A local resident rescued a 4-year-old Korean boy who plunged into a drain two-meters deep along the bypass road yesterday evening.

“The cover for the drain was broken, and grass was obscuring the hole. It was hard to see because there was no light,” said a Kusoldharm rescue worker at the scene.

Boonkua Saelim, 42, rushed to help the boy after watching him disappear.

“I was standing at a tour counter when the boy and his father walked by on the footpath,” Mr Boonkua said. “It took us about three minutes to bring the boy to the surface after he fell into the drain.”

The boy, suffering only minor injuries, was taken to Phuket International Hospital by his father.

“The cover has been broken for a long time, but officials haven’t taken any action – maybe they are waiting for someone to fall and die before they fix it,” Mr Boonkua said.

Rescue workers at the scene set a tree in the hole as a stop-gap measure.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Korean-boy-4-rescued-from-Phuket-drain-22780.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-14

Nice to see a positive out of what could have been such a tragic event.

Now... onto the Thai-bashing... which I usually avoid, however my negative opinion regarding he apathy of Officials in Thailand is rather strong...

Had this Korean boy died, there would be a 'crack down on drains' or some other daft headline in tomorrows papers. It astounds me how when there are so many avoidable issues that Thailand officials consistently do nothing proactive towards the welfare of their town / province / nation... Perhaps its a money issue, but I'm continually left wondering if they even care just a bit.

I think problems like this are below them.

Nice to see a positive out of what could have been such a tragic event.

Now... onto the Thai-bashing... which I usually avoid, however my negative opinion regarding he apathy of Officials in Thailand is rather strong...

Had this Korean boy died, there would be a 'crack down on drains' or some other daft headline in tomorrows papers. It astounds me how when there are so many avoidable issues that Thailand officials consistently do nothing proactive towards the welfare of their town / province / nation... Perhaps its a money issue, but I'm continually left wondering if they even care just a bit.

I think problems like this are below them.

what, like the drains?

About 4 months ago I were exiting a shop after filling a 20 litre container with water. As I walked to my car my left leg went downwards up to my crutch. I managed to retrieve myself from the predicament and on inspection of the road (as it was dusk) I discovered all that were covering the "hole" was a 2 x 2 sheet of three ply which had gone rotten during the rainy season and then got covered with road dust . It were really well camouflaged. I was not impressed.

“The cover has been broken for a long time, but officials haven’t taken any action – maybe they are waiting for someone to fall and die before they fix it,” Mr Boonkua said.

The point goes to Mr.Boonkua today.

They want lot of turist and eat money with money but don't spend at all.

If this boy dies they say: how much bad luck, but this is not a bad luck this is a simple idiot thing of authorities.

Officials this officials that. Why is citizens in all other countries deserve their governments, but not Thais? I see Thais get plenty active when something matters to them, safety does not matter. It's called fatalism and is a basis of the culture.

How can we use it for our gain ?