Jump to content

can i drive my own car into Cambodia ?


crocken

Recommended Posts

Crossed today from O'smach into Cambodia with the car,

visa $30

cars paperwork, free

no questions about driving in other than immigration asked where i was headed.

all in all about 30 minutes

Surin to SR was 3 1/2 hours

2 years since i was last in sr, the town has doubled in size it seems

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/16/2013 at 1:22 PM, phuketrichard said:

some borders will allow (Koh Kong, Osmach) other wont ( Poi Pet, Palin)

do a search, I take my thai car in all the time.

 

 

Still no problem at Koh kong. Weird that they do not allow at Poipet.

 

Did you give them few $$$ also ?

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/11/2016 at 11:57 PM, amjamj said:

 

 

Still no problem at Koh kong. Weird that they do not allow at Poipet.

 

Did you give them few $$$ also ?

 

 

 

 

hello,

 

Do you know any other accommodation at Koh kong border without going into the city ? Casino is 2800.night.

 

Thanks.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 8 months later...
30 minutes ago, bberrythailand said:

 

Koh kong is very close, many hotels there...

 

 

Correct. Koh Kong is just 7km from the border, although you do have to pay a 5800 Riel fee to cross the bridge by car (1400 by motorcycle) and this fee is applicable in both directions.

 

I wouldn't stay in the casino as autoc mentions - the casino next to the border seems quite rundown and 2800 is quite expensive for a one night's stay in what is probably worth at most 1000 Baht. I guess they take advantage of all the Thai gambling tourists that go there - though most only head there during the day quite a few Thai number plates are parked at the casino and the guesthouse on the opposite side of the road (they have an English and Thai sign, you can't miss it, it's directly opposite the casino). Seems they rarely drive further than this - all that export paperwork just to drive 200m and then head back to Thailand, seems like a waste of time and energy but the car park on the Thai side charges 100 (or is it 200 now, can't remember as I haven't used it in years) a day too so I guess it's probably a little more convenient than shlepping your luggage across the border and having to pay money to park your car anyway.

 

Another option is the Thmorda crab guesthouse before the bridge, around 5km from the border. It's not as popular as it could be mainly due to it's isolation but with a car it's no problem, just don't make a habit of driving back and forth across the bridge otherwise those tolls will quickly add up. Otherwise, driving into town and staying at the Koh Kong Bay Hotel, the Asean guesthouse or any of the numerous other hotels and guesthouses nearby is probably a better idea. It can't take you more than 10 minutes to reach the center of Koh Kong from the border crossing. Check out hotels on Agoda.com.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jimster said:

Correct. Koh Kong is just 7km from the border, although you do have to pay a 5800 Riel fee to cross the bridge by car (1400 by motorcycle) and this fee is applicable in both directions.

 

I wouldn't stay in the casino as autoc mentions - the casino next to the border seems quite rundown and 2800 is quite expensive for a one night's stay in what is probably worth at most 1000 Baht. I guess they take advantage of all the Thai gambling tourists that go there - though most only head there during the day quite a few Thai number plates are parked at the casino and the guesthouse on the opposite side of the road (they have an English and Thai sign, you can't miss it, it's directly opposite the casino). Seems they rarely drive further than this - all that export paperwork just to drive 200m and then head back to Thailand, seems like a waste of time and energy but the car park on the Thai side charges 100 (or is it 200 now, can't remember as I haven't used it in years) a day too so I guess it's probably a little more convenient than shlepping your luggage across the border and having to pay money to park your car anyway.

 

Another option is the Thmorda crab guesthouse before the bridge, around 5km from the border. It's not as popular as it could be mainly due to it's isolation but with a car it's no problem, just don't make a habit of driving back and forth across the bridge otherwise those tolls will quickly add up. Otherwise, driving into town and staying at the Koh Kong Bay Hotel, the Asean guesthouse or any of the numerous other hotels and guesthouses nearby is probably a better idea. It can't take you more than 10 minutes to reach the center of Koh Kong from the border crossing. Check out hotels on Agoda.com.

 

Thank you, I didn't know Thmorda crab.

http://www.thmordagarden.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1532269-d2701064-Reviews-Thmorda_Crab_House-Koh_Kong_Koh_Kong_Province.html

 

Any other thing on this side of the bridge ?

 

And do you know if people can cross the bridge by walking ?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...
On 8/16/2017 at 5:33 PM, bberrythailand said:

 

Thank you, I didn't know Thmorda crab.

http://www.thmordagarden.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1532269-d2701064-Reviews-Thmorda_Crab_House-Koh_Kong_Koh_Kong_Province.html

 

Any other thing on this side of the bridge ?

 

And do you know if people can cross the bridge by walking ?

 

 

Sorry for the belated message. Yes, crossing by walking is fine. In fact, I read that they recently stopped charging a toll now, so crossing the bridge is free, yay!

 

Plenty of things on the other side of the bridge. In fact, almost no one who comes this far decides not to cross the bridge. All the restaurants, tours, transport (including the boat pier) and everything else are located in town, which is across the bridge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

By the way, the Koh Kong bridge toll has now been removed. So for now, there are no tolls payable on any roads in Cambodia. Another piece of good news is that entry to Bokor is now free. I went there in Sep 2017 and only paid a nominal fee for my car - no idea if they removed just the fee for tourists or all entry fees. By the sound of the article I read somewhere (Phnom Penh Post?) all fees have been removed. Wish Thailand would follow suit as it's dual pricing policy at nearly every national park definitely drives foreigners away - meanwhile only a handful of Cambodian parks charge anything at all (though when they do, it's like US$20 for foreigners, which is even more than what foreigners pay for entering Thai national parks).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

At thai customs across the street from immigration>
just ask anyone>
Your thai insurance is NOT valid in Cambodia and you cant buy any Cambodian insurance.

Be prepared to be asked how many days ur staying in Cambodia at the stop and be prepared to pay 100 baht /day. also they may or may not ask for ur blue book so you cant exit anywhere else.  For this reason i prefer Osmach unless i am sure i will be texting at Koh Kong

Road sucks!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...