Phuket Opinion: Preserving the essence of Phuket

Lite Beer

Phuket Opinion: Preserving the essence of Phuket
Phuket Gazette -

phuketnews_20131116153756148_xFzBSIfMQCt

Pannate Rangsinturat is worried about how foreigners and uncontrolled development are affecting Phuket. Photo: Orawin Narabal

General Manager of Business and Network Development at DaimlerChrysler (Thailand) Co Ltd, Pannate Rangsinturat, 36, is a Phuket native. She graduated from Chulalongkorn University with a degree in international relations and has earned a master’s degree in European studies from Cambridge University.

Here she talks about the changes she sees when she returns to Phuket and how they can be better managed.

PHUKET: I was born and raised in Phuket, and though I’ve travelled the world and lived in different countries and worked in Bangkok for years, I have never stopped thinking of myself as a Phuketian. I go home whenever I have a holiday, and one day I will move back permanently.

I’ve seen a lot of changes in Phuket over the years, and though some of them are good, there are a couple which make me unhappy because they are changing the very essence of the island.

One is uncontrolled development, and the other is the growing numbers of foreigners.

Every time I come back, I notice new roads and new buildings. In some sense we can say that these are positive signs of development, but they make me a little sad, because I think the growth is happening too fast, in too many directions, and without real organization. It is causing the destruction of Phuket’s most valuable resource – its natural beauty.

Something similar is happening because of the growing number of foreigners on the island. I’m not against foreigners, and I think their presence has some positive features – they contribute to our economic growth and bring elements of international culture and lifestyle.

However, too many of those outside cultural elements could cause our own way of life to be affected and irreparably changed, as we adjust our lifestyle to theirs.

Just as the government should plan and control development carefully, they should also take care in terms of how much foreign influence they allow, whether it be investment, expats or tourists. They should carefully screen foreigners who come here.

Not all the changes I’ve noticed are bad ones. People in Phuket are growing more appreciative of our traditional culture, and that’s a great thing. They’re organizing more events and activities that celebrate our history, such as the Old Phuket Fair and Baba Yaya events. And they’re taking steps to preserve Sino-Portuguese architecture.

When I was younger, I dreamed of spending my life abroad, in Europe, because I love countries with long histories and unique cultures. I spent two years in England and four years in Germany, and my business trips have taken me to many other countries.

All that travel and living abroad made me realize there’s no place like home. Europe is my second home now, but it’s only in Thailand that I can truly rest my mind.

And where I really want to be is Phuket. To me, Phuket offers a unique harmony between city life, business life and nature. That’s its special charm. And it’s this mix that makes Phuket people who we are. We are easy going, but active; down to earth, but confident. We are strong and direct.

I grew up in Phuket back in the days before kids had to go to tutor sessions after school. I just focused on my lessons while I was in school. I think that’s enough for children. I have very fond memories of my schools, Muang Phuket Municipal School, Satree Phuket School and Phuket Wittayalai School. I am what I am today partly because they taught me so well.

With my Phuket education I was able to study at universities in Bangkok and abroad, and feel confident competing with others. I’d like to tell parents who let their children study in Phuket, you’ve made the right choice. There’s no need to send them anywhere else; I’m proof of that.

My dream now is to return to Phuket and open a boutique hotel and coffee shops. I miss the beach!

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-Opinion-Preserving-the-essence-of-Phuket-22807.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-17

"and the other is the growing numbers of foreigners." - I think she forgets that it was the "foreigners" that her family made money from, that allowed her a first class education and a high paying job.

I don't think you can pay your way through Cambridge University by working at a 7/11. smile.pngsmile.png

Talk about "bite the hand that feeds you."

If she does ever "open a boutique hotel and coffee shops" - who are going to be her customers? If not foreigners, wealthy Thai's, and where do they get their money from, tourism, and what is tourism, foreigners coming to Phuket.

The standards at Cambridge must be slipping. :) :)

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Oh my goodness, what on earth is she on?

Even so called educated Thai's talking like this. She sounds so much like my educated wife.

Being that Cambridge is for the out of touch person, I can understand her not knowing that you can't have it all one way.

Final thought for the lady; what about the indiginous Thai's? How about their island before your Chinese came here, grabbed all the land by taking advantage of the local's culture and then colonising the place?

• Like 1

Interesting online dating profile. She is pretty, got a top job, must be loaded and driving a nice car, but she talks so much about herself that I fear she must be quite a boring partner. Anyway that's kind of worthless without an email or phone number.

Oh wait, it was actually an opinion article? Actually, when she's not bragging about her education, lifestyle and dreams, we do learn that Phuket has been overdevelloped and that the government should carefully control it. Thank you captain obvious! We also learn that foreigners are as harmfull as uncontrolled development. Why? No clues were given. Her solution to this "problem" is to control foreigner's influence on Phuket. Could you even be more vague miss Rangsinturat?

"Just as the government should plan and control development carefully, they should also take care in terms of how much foreign influence they allow, whether it be investment, expats or tourists. They should carefully screen foreigners who come here.

Not all the changes I’ve noticed are bad ones. People in Phuket are growing more appreciative of our traditional culture, and that’s a great thing. They’re organizing more events and activities that celebrate our history, such as the Old Phuket Fair and Baba Yaya events. And they’re taking steps to preserve Sino-Portuguese architecture."

So she doesn´t know or realize that the history and traditional culture that she is so proud of actually came with the (chinese) foreigners?