UKTV now available on Android devices

sumrit

UKTV have now got an android app available. It's a beta version at the moment so it's not available in Play Store, you have to go to their website, using your android device, and download it from there.

http://www.uk-tv.asia/tablet.php

Simply click on the 'download and install' link. I also had a problem installing the app when downloading it using Chrome but it installed easily using my IQ X(A) i-mobile and my tablets pre-installed web browsers.

The UKTV website advises you need to be running 4.1 Jelly Bean to use it but I've just put it on my tab which is running 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and it's working fine, good quality picture with no buffering or pixellating at all.

• Like 2

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, one more step and we will have a UKTV box (with it's own remote).

Or is there one available already ?

If it runs on Android (I haven;t used it) then it should run on any Android stick connected to a TV that you can use an air/wireless mouse remote with?

I already watch UKTV on my large screen TV. I just connected an old PC to the TV (either by a VG lead or HDMI if the PC has a socket) then use a wireless keyboard/mouse as a remote control to operate it from the sofa.

And using this set up I can stream all the EPL football onto my TV as well. My wife even uses it to watch Thai TV when the bad weather causes the Thai satellite signals to freeze/pixelate.

Edited by sumrit

If it runs on Android (I haven;t used it) then it should run on any Android stick connected to a TV that you can use an air/wireless mouse remote with?

I already watch UKTV on my large screen TV. I just connected an old PC to the TV (either by a VG lead or HDMI if the PC has a socket) then use a wireless keyboard/mouse as a remote control to operate it from the sofa.

And using this set up I can stream all the EPL football onto my TV as well. My wife even uses it to watch Thai TV when the bad weather causes the Thai satellite signals to freeze/pixelate.

The way I do it now is I stream it from my Main PC (which is in the Living room) Wireless to my Apple TV's (which are located in the Living room and the bedrooms and are connected to the TV's in there) so when I am watching in the Main Bedroom I now have to get up and change the channel on the PC.

For me it's not worth to have 2-3 laptops or old pc's connected to my TVs, but I will check out the Android stick.

Thx

Yes, that's exactly what I do - very efficient and good quality from UKTV

But UKTV doesn't stream EPL - or does it?

Probably a silly question but where do you get the EPL stream from?

But UKTV doesn't stream EPL - or does it?

Probably a silly question but where do you get the EPL stream from?

No EPL on UKTV. Only MOTD on BBC1 plus England Internationals and Champions League on ITV1.

Try these for EPL streaming.

http://www.sdw-net.com/livesport.html

http://myp2p.cc/

http://www.usagoals.tv/

http://www.ronaldo7.net/live/manchester-united-vs/watch-manchester-united-live-stream.html

http://livetv.sx/en/

http://www.streamhunter.eu/football-live-streaming-video.html

• Like 1

Beware with this uktv.... I installed the app 2 days ago. Yesterday, I watched bbcnews for about 15 minutes. No problems. Then I got a warning that I had no memory left. UKTV had installed 428 <deleted> videos in my Samsung 8.0!!! All bbcnews videos.

Could be a bug, the desktop version keeps a lot (about 500MB) of small fragments as part of the buffering system, they get deleted as more are created.

Worth a friendly mail to the development chaps.

So better install it on your external sd card. I cannot say if the videos where deleted as others added. But talk about data fragmentation and slowing the system down.

With regards to the desktop version, not tried it. But it is wonderful to have. Great kid channels for my son.

Beware with this uktv.... I installed the app 2 days ago. Yesterday, I watched bbcnews for about 15 minutes. No problems. Then I got a warning that I had no memory left. UKTV had installed 428 <deleted> videos in my Samsung 8.0!!! All bbcnews videos.

I installed about the same time and run it daily. Nothing saved to memory on my Asus TF201 tablet. Maybe uninstall/reinstall and try again? Agree with Crossy and tell the UKTV chaps as a possible bug.

Edited by NanLaew

..... With regards to the desktop version, not tried it. But it is wonderful to have. Great kid channels for my son.

Agreed! That was one of the bonuses when they first came online as my lad could watch English-speaking cartoons and kids shows at any time of the day. They removed CBeebies for a while but I see it is back on the PC subscription list again. Now he doesn't have to watch those darned 'Wiggles' on TMN!

The desk top version runs very well and is great quality. I always have a a string of programmes recorded on the app, for watching later and there is also a facility to convert recordings onto a permanent avi files.

Never had any problems with memory.

The quick search facility is also very useful for specific programmes.

Been running it for nearly two months, and to be honest it has transformed my TV watching, as you get the whole range of UK TV free terrestrial channels available, plus Sky News and Film 4, either live or delayed for up to 7 days. My use of Torrents has dropped dramatically.

I think it is a little unfair to criticise the Android version as it is still in beta mode. In my initial testing it seems to work fine, with a clear picture and no buffering. Yesterday some of the screens were in German, but today they have changed to English. Clearly it is still being developed.

Long may this service survive....

• Like 1

same here (galaxy tab 2) - so deleted uk tv......

Guys,

it clearly states in the OP and on the website that it's a Beta.

To remind people what a Beta is:

Beta, named after the second letter of the Greek alphabet, is the software development phase following alpha. It generally begins when the software is feature complete. Software in the beta phase will generally have many more bugs in it than completed software, as well as speed/performance issues and may still cause crashes or data loss.

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Beta

And if you find bugs let them know here: [email protected]

• Like 1

Not lambasting the service. But the bugs are there and I do not like to be used as a guinea pig, unless I request to be a beta or alpha tester.

The other company has a nice little android box that plugs into the hdmi slot of your tv. And the android apk is stable.

Wow. Did they hold a gun to your head on this?

To download and install this droid version you additionally need to permit download from untrusted sites as well as the copious warnings of the fact that it is a beta product and as such, NOT a tested or official release product.

But it was free wasn't it?

No memory issues on any of my droid devices so I do hope that those with these problems that may be hardware-specific are reporting it so the developers can work on it while it is still a beta product.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, it wasn't working for me either on Android, just says programmes not available. It's working today, but no history available.

With constant re-starts I had to remove a file, player (or something like that) and re-install, sorry for being so vague it was a while back.

It's working today, but no history available.

It's not working today. I re installed it and tried it on a new device and nothing. I got a reply from the service saying to wait as they on working on the problem. I will wait a little while, but 3 days is a long time when they already got my cash.