UKTV now available on Android devices

sumrit

It's not working for me.

I had uninstalled the app not long after I started the thread because of the many video clips that were left in the gallery every time I used it. Just re-installed it and logged on using my PC account's username and password as casualbiker recommends.

But every time I try to look at anything a message says the app has stopped working, then it restarts itself but goes through the same process when I try to open up any programming.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use expat TV with their supplied android box. It's ok, but I really want to record and keep programmes for later. I got BBC IPlayer streaming working via Firefox but it won't download to disk. It maybe a block on the condo server, so waiting to get back to my fast unadulterated connection at home.

I use expat TV with their supplied android box. It's ok, but I really want to record and keep programmes for later. I got BBC IPlayer streaming working via Firefox but it won't download to disk. It maybe a block on the condo server, so waiting to get back to my fast unadulterated connection at home.

Maybe better opening your own topic and ask this question there, as this one is about the other one (UKTV)

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by MJCM

UKTV has full record facilities covering all programs over the last seven days.

can't see why you are faffing around.......you can watch uk tv for free as follows:

using Firefox, download Media Hint add on:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/media-hint/

once installed, just click on the following link for your tv guide....then click on the programme you want to watch and the site automatically connects you to the relevant player (works for bbc player, itv player and ch4 player - but not ch5)

http://www.televisioncatchup.co.uk/

its very user friendly and free.....

can't see why you are faffing around.......you can watch uk tv for free as follows:

once installed, just click on the following link for your tv guide....then click on the programme you want to watch and the site automatically connects you to the relevant player (works for bbc player, itv player and ch4 player - but not ch5)

How does that get around the not being on UK ISP part then?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

How does that get around the not being on UK ISP part then?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

<deleted>......

• Like 1

The UKTV app appears to be up and running again. It's working on both my phone and tab.

Incidentally, on the UKTV web site it says you must be running Android 4.1 or better but it's working fine on my tablet which is running 4.0, ice cream sandwich.

Maybe it will work on other earlier Android versions

Maybe better opening your own topic and ask this question there, as this one is about the other one (UKTV)

No point now, just received an email saying they've merged and are one and the same from tomorrow.

UK-TV has made a 'marginal' (22%) price increase, from 490 to 600 Baht per month, still good value so I won't be cancelling.

The offending email:-

Dear Xy,

Greetings, as of Saturday 1st March 2014 UKTV Asia will be merged into Thai Expat TV. A decision has been made between the two UK TV service providers to join together as one powerful force, bringing you the very best in internet TV entertainment across multiple platforms, worldwide.

The Thai Expat TV team would like to take this opportunity to formally welcome you to their service, we will do everything we can to make this transition a smooth and positive one.

What does this mean for me?

Well nothing is drastically going to change, it’s actually going to be beneficial to you, here’s why:

1) You can continue to use your UK TV Asia software player – nothing will affect the current service are receiving as we merge into one another.

2) You now have the ability to request other players that will work with other devices you may have – A new Windows PC player to test / Mac player / iPad / iPhone / Android mobile – allowing you to view the TV service across multiple platforms both here in Thailand and worldwide.

3) You will receive exactly the same channels and service that you have been with UK TV Asia, in the exact same quality, without any detriment to your user experience.

4) The Thai Expat TV set top box can be purchased and used with their latest app development, allowing you the ability to view the service directly on your TV set, without tying up another device at home.

5) In the near future a larger range of UK TV channels will become available as part of a new premium subscription package.

The only real change to you will be a marginal price increase to cover our new expansion costs. However the long term benefits will be seen very quickly as we move forward with the service.

The subscription costs will be brought in line with the current Thai Expat TV pricing, they are as follows:

1 month = 600THB

3 months = 1740THB

6 months = 3300THB

12 months = 6000THB

All new subscription invoices as of Saturday 1st March will be sent by Thai Expat TV service to you. There are now much easier ways to pay for your subscription using PayPal or counter service at 7/11 stores. Here is how the new payment methods work.

It goes on to describe the new payment methods available.

There probably isn't the subscriber base available to support two services, but competition is always good.

Yes, UKTV Android software finally did an automatic upgrade on my devices this morning (it tried last night but always hanged) and now works.

At same time I got the email about increased prices and merger with Expat TV - plus the IN-convenience of having to cancel the monthly Paypal subscription every month when I don't want it - which is every other month as I travel to places with no internet. Thats progress I guess and I understand it will suit others more than me. Don't like the new price or reduced competition tho but as previous poster inferred, where else are you going to go!?

UK-TV has made a 'marginal' (22%) price increase, from 490 to 600 Baht per month, still good value so I won't be cancelling.

Not directed at you Crossy, but when I try and get the Expat TV software for Windows it asked 900THB, i.e. an additional 300THB for set up? What is that all about if I am setting it up myself? The UKTV didn't mention that in their farewell email?

Not directed at you Crossy, but when I try and get the Expat TV software for Windows it asked 900THB, i.e. an additional 300THB for set up? What is that all about if I am setting it up myself? The UKTV didn't mention that in their farewell email?

Yes, ExpatTV has always had a one-off setup (click the mouse at their end) fee, if you're already a UK-TV subscriber you don't need to pay.

Yes, ExpatTV has always had a one-off setup (click the mouse at their end) fee, if you're already a UK-TV subscriber you don't need to pay.

I am a paying UKTV user, so wondering if I can test the new ExpatTV software out? Cannot see a way to download it so far without paying 900THB? I emailed them, but no answer yet.

I also received the same email as Crossy. I am just wondering as I just a couple of days ago renewed my 3 Month Subscription (with UKTV) if I have to pay again now they are Expat TV.

I already send them an email (UKTV that is).

I also received the same email as Crossy. I am just wondering as I just a couple of days ago renewed my 3 Month Subscription (with UKTV) if I have to pay again now they are Expat TV.

I already send them an email (UKTV that is).

I hope not (doubt they will dream of it), I'm 5 months in to a 12 month UK-TV sub.

I addition to above post, I also emailed ThaiExpat.tv (just to be 100% sure) and this was their response

1- Is my UKTV subscription still valid for the remaining 3 months or do I have to pay again.

<< your current paid subscription is valid

Ps: Their email response was very quick, my email was sent at 14:40 and response was received at 14:53 (looks promising)

PsPs: Email received just now from UKTV

Hello.
As you are now aware UKTV has amalgamated with Thai Expat TV and we will be shutting down UKTV at midnight 28/2/2014
You will still receive all the channels you have paid for until your current contract expires.

Should you need any information or help with the new system of paying or general inquiries you can still contact me at the same e mail address
Edited by MJCM

I am also a UKTV subscriber, and I am now testing the ThaiExpat TV program (ps: your UKTV userid and password work )

The UKTV program seems easier to use (especially for recordings)

a recording with UKTV would be named something like

<program name> <episode of total episode> series <maybe extra info>

but the ExpatTV one is named

<Channel> <Date> <Start time of recording>

Another couple of points :

- I can't find an overview if the recordings (only the files on my HDD).

- The recordings are stored as uncompressed TS which is better quality then mp4 however takes up a lot more space on your HDD

- I can't record a program just from the TV-Guide.

- Maybe I am wrong on this, but to record a program you also have to watch it, have to investigate further, but if this is true bah.gif

So there is a learning curve involved, but for now I like the UKTV program a lot more.

Edited by SeaVisionBurma
as per poster's request

I am also a UKTV subscriber, and I am now testing the ThaiExpat TV program (ps: your UKTV userid and password work )

You've got further than me then - their service seems flakey to me. After I got the download link for ThiaExpat.tv windows installer from them, it installed but does not recognise my UKTV account ID/pwd. Similarly the original UKTV Windows program now has a new ThiaExpat.tv logo and also refuses my log in. So all my Windows stuff is not working.

I can still use the original Andorid UKTV app however so the account is still OK with that, but the ThaiExpattv android method to login doesn't work.

I've emailed them asking &lt;deleted&gt; is going on.

^

Yes mine still works.

I am at this moment watching through the Expat Tv Windows app.

At 1st it wouldn't work but that was because I used an old pwd.

Ps: I am noticing a problem with the UKTV win app now, I want to access my recordings but it's not allowing that with a message "not available in Demo mode". Anyone else?

Edited by MJCM

Watching UK-TV via Android box as usual.

Was sent a link to the ExpatTV Android apk. file earlier in the week but it did not work on my box.

Both companies reply promptly to emails and seem decent enough, and with 11 months of subscription remaining I hope it continues!

^

Yes mine still works.

I am at this moment watching through the Expat Tv Windows app.

At 1st it wouldn't work but that was because I used an old pwd.

Ps: I am noticing a problem with the UKTV win app now, I want to access my recordings but it's not allowing that with a message "not available in Demo mode". Anyone else?

Reboot computer and re-start UKTV !

You've got further than me then - their service seems flakey to me. After I got the download link for ThiaExpat.tv windows installer from them, it installed but does not recognise my UKTV account ID/pwd. Similarly the original UKTV Windows program now has a new ThiaExpat.tv logo and also refuses my log in. So all my Windows stuff is not working.

I can still use the original Andorid UKTV app however so the account is still OK with that, but the ThaiExpattv android method to login doesn't work.

I've emailed them asking &lt;deleted&gt; is going on.

They do have a very prompt support service as others have noted.

I asked them about my log on problem, and after testing at their end said there was nothing wrong and I should just reboot PC. I had same logon problems on Android devices as well, so rebooting a PC seemed odd advise. But after they tested things all my devices suddenly started working, so I suspect teething problems at there end. Now I have seen both services I think I prefer ThaiExpattv because it is faster, tho I never record anything and that looks less easy now. Jumping thro programs seems impossible as well on Android version, I need to watch programs from start to end to see a part within? The PC version allows 1 minute jumps.

The Expat TV player works well enough, but there are sooo many things that the UK-TV player does far better. Hopefully their promise to combine the best of both worlds will be kept.

• Like 1

The Expat TV player works well enough, but there are sooo many things that the UK-TV player does far better. Hopefully their promise to combine the best of both worlds will be kept.

Do most of the users need a picture of a mouse showing 'left' and 'right'? If so can we have an 'advanced' version for those who can tie their own shoelaces please?

• Like 1