Foods you have cut out entirely and those you "should"

Jingthing

So what foods do YOU think you need to cut or limit severely and how is it going?

OK, my opinion is that obese people looking to change their lives around food and weight (losing and maintaining) do need to cut out CERTAIN food items either entirely or at least significantly LIMIT them.

While I don't believe that feeling harshly deprived works and instead backfires, the more of these you can eliminate and NOT feel deprived, probably the better for you in the long run.

This list is going to be different for different people.

Myself, I have successfully cut out:

Pizza (totally cut out with no pain)

Almost all cheese except an occasional small sprinkle of parmesan

Full calorie beer (I do drink one drink a day, shot of vodka or one lite beer)

(Yes I am well aware that most people would say cut out ALL booze while looking for weight loss, but I have been losing weight with my one drink a day, and I strongly feel moderate alcohol consumption is beneficial to health in general. I think for normal weight men, two drinks a day would be better than one, women less.)

FRENCH FRIES! (totally cut out with no pain)

Deep Fried foods in general (very rarely have some but I don't let it be a trigger towards a binge)

Ice cream and gelato (totally cut out with no pain)

Mayonnaise (this has proved a challenge, I keep some in my fridge and can't bring myself to toss it out, I do like it with tuna, but I'm finding a good rich substitute using olive oil and avocado)

Red meat (do my best to limit intake, not looking to totally cut it out, but I still think I'm eating more of it than is ideal not only weight issues but overall health issues)

Breads (have one slice when I used to have two, and steering towards the healthier dark breads)

Well, not a comprehensive list for me, but you get the idea.

Note -- yes, garcinia cambogia has played big role for me in being able to cut and limit things without pain.

So what foods do YOU think you need to cut or limit severely and how is it going?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cut complete:

beer, wine, alcohol....

Mayonnaise

Reduced to almost zero

fruit juice

noodles

rice

bread

potatoes

Pizza

Thai Food

increased

any kind of meat, pork, beef ,chicken

tomatoes

onions

curcumber

eggs

I didn't eat french fries, sweet things, coke, etc before so can't reduce it.

Yeah, I can see what kind of regime that is.

Fruit juice is a good one. I didn't drink it before so don't need to cut it out. FRESH fruits with the fiber are so much better especially as so often commercial ones have much sugar added as well.

On starches, I am not on that specific regime, but I have definitely cut down PORTION size on all starches and bought in some BROWN rice.

Thai food? That's interesting. Yes, I know much of it is cooked in an unhealthy way at restaurants, but I find there are some dishes that are both very tasty and health promoting. Such as CLEAR tom yum.

Edited by Jingthing

Good thread Jing Ting

Well, i haven't progressed at all, but i am seriously taking a look at my health and i know i need to change. (not to say i have suffered any health problems, but i am 76kg and 170cm, so a bit over weight and i know it will only get worse. I am 26 and i feel it more difficult nowadays to keep the fat off with minimal effort. If i keep up my normal diet i am guaranteed to put on more weight, become diabetic like my dad, have high blood pressure etc etc...)

Foods that i think i should cut out completely:

alcohol

deep fried food

fast food

potato chips

chocolate

butter

red meat (probably all meat, except fish, but especially red meat)

white bread

sticky rice

Foods that i think i should limit:

all meat (except fish)

dairy (except natural yogurt, and especially cheese)

ice cream (i eat it too infrequently to do any harm anyway)

popcorn (i eat it too infrequently to do any harm anyway)

white rice

Foods i think i should increase:

vegetables (especially green ones)

fruit (the less sugary kind)

brown rice

oatmeal

whole grain bread

whole wheat noodles

This will be my New Years resolution!

Edited by Water Buffalo

Good list.

As far as meat, there is a lot to be said for vegetarianism, but if you are going to eat meat, I feel lean chicken is a go. For me, it's my main source of animal protein.

Chocolate has beneficial properties but the problem is the butterfat and sugar, I have some unsweetened cocoa daily and wouldn't want to cut that out ever!

On red meat I understand low carb diet people tend to eat lots of it, but there is the gut bacteria research coming out pointing out the link between red meat consumption and serious diseases especially in men (obesity issues aside). In other words, it is known now that the gut bacteria profiles of people who eat lots of red meat are DIFFERENT than those who eat none or little of it, and in men especially the red meat linked gut bacteria are problematical for health.

Edited by Jingthing

Yeah, I can see what kind of regime that is.

Fruit juice is a good one. I didn't drink it before so don't need to cut it out. FRESH fruits with the fiber are so much better especially as so often commercial ones have much sugar added as well.

On starches, I am not on that specific regime, but I have definitely cut down PORTION size on all starches and bought in some BROWN rice.

Thai food? That's interesting. Yes, I know much of it is cooked in an unhealthy way at restaurants, but I find there are some dishes that are both very tasty and health promoting. Such as CLEAR tom yum.

My problem is as soon as I eat some carbohydrates I get more hungry. And I eat them--> OK and after I while my blood sugar falls and I get hungry.

It works well for me and I feel good, even I eat very little. The only issue: I don't know how I can switch back to normal in a controlled way.

Fruit juice....before I drank sometimes 2 liter per day, that is just too much...

I eat only little fresh fruits, but tomatoes and carrots. I craft my Vitamin C tablets. Not sure if it is because they taste good or if I really need it.

Thai food: What my wifes cooks and what my staff usually brings for lunch is usually very fat here in Bangkok. (I don't like sea food so many of the healthy Thai food isn't an option, and the others are with rice, which I don't eat at the moment).

(And actually half of my staff is very overweight, the others are very thin...maybe I am asking the wrong people???)

Brown rice.....when I cook one, usually my wife takes it out and cooks white rice instead.....

Good list.

As far as meat, there is a lot to be said for vegetarianism, but if you are going to eat meat, I feel lean chicken is a go. For me, it's my main source of animal protein.

Chocolate has beneficial properties but the problem is the butterfat and sugar, I have some unsweetened cocoa daily and wouldn't want to cut that out ever!

On red meat I understand low carb diet people tend to eat lots of it, but there is the gut bacteria research coming out pointing out the link between red meat consumption and serious diseases especially in men (obesity issues aside). In other words, it is known now that the gut bacteria profiles of people who eat lots of red meat are DIFFERENT than those who eat none or little of it, and in men especially the red meat linked gut bacteria are problematical for health.

I bought some chicken breasts (is it called breasts?) at BigC, which I couldn't eat. Very strange taste, like fish, maybe from the food. Same thing with eggs.

If it is bought at central and organic eggs it is good.

While I eat it, it gets a bit difficult.....

I bought some beef and tried and tested to eat a little of it raw. Based on the idea that maybe raw is more natural for the human body. From the taste I think my body wanted to tell me that it isn't a good idea.....so no raw meat....

For me I eat

Daily....

Chicken breast only

Tuna

Salad

Bell peppers

Tomatoes

Nuts

Oatmeal

Bananas

Apples

Once a week anything I like

Once every 10 days a big night on the beer.

Gym 5 times a week

So I think it's not so bad

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

For me I eat

Daily....

Chicken breast only

Tuna

Salad

Bell peppers

Tomatoes

Nuts

Oatmeal

Bananas

Apples

Once a week anything I like

Once every 10 days a big night on the beer.

Gym 5 times a week

So I think it's not so bad

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

That once a week anything: is it just for fun, or for a reason? Like some tell that the body don't regulate down that much if you eat a lot once a week, but the body also can't add it to your fat. Don't know if it is true or not.

I think many people allow themselves an indulgent meal occasionally as a way not to feel deprived. That can work for some or also backfire. A typical pattern for obese people is to deprive themselves for a long time, make one "mistake" and then go crazy with the feeling, I already messed up, too late now. There are likely biological triggers for that as well for some people, their body fighting them FEELING that it's being starved. It's a tricky business indeed.

I am definitely one of those people who fits that scary pattern. It's very common. The only thing "fixing" this for me now is garcinia cambogia.

The other day I ate a plate of something that was definitely not health promoting, a fried mixed shellfish platter, so delicious! That was a very unusual indulgence for me. Later that night, I was too full to eat and the next day, back to the usual. Before garcinia, that wouldn't have happened. I would have been triggered.

Edited by Jingthing

Just because I get bored of eating the same food to be honest, dunno call it my treat for eating so well 6 days a week.... Same thinking with the drinking I suppose I'm sure there's negatives but I'm hoping there out weighted by the positives

Sent from my GT-N7000B using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Do the 5:2 diet to get the weight off then when you settle down you can "fast" one day a week. Unless you live on junk food then you don't really need to cut out anything.

Been on the 5:2 diet and lost 4 kilos in 3 weeks. Much easier than I thought it would be to be honest.

where to get garcinia cambogia, Jingthing?

This is the product I use in Thailand. Where to get it would depend on where you live.

Herbal One by GMP

Garcinia Cambogia

attachicon.gifgc.jpg

Is it going to be like this, JTsad.png? I am relatively young, but fear the pic you posted here.

Someone here mentioned Pata Negra.... wub.png

The only thing "fixing" this for me now is garcinia cambogia.

However, clinical trials do not support claims that Garcinia cambogia is an effective weight-loss aid.[8] A meta-analysis found a possible small, short-term weight loss effect (under 1 kilogram).[9] However, side effects—namely hepatotoxicity—led to one preparation being withdrawn from the market.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garcinia_gummi-gutta

The only thing "fixing" this for me now is garcinia cambogia.

However, clinical trials do not support claims that Garcinia cambogia is an effective weight-loss aid.[8] A meta-analysis found a possible small, short-term weight loss effect (under 1 kilogram).[9] However, side effects—namely hepatotoxicity—led to one preparation being withdrawn from the market.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garcinia_gummi-gutta

Please post in the specific separate thread here about Garcinia Cambogia if you like and I would be happy to respond to your points. Otherwise, I think a "debate" about GC is really off topic on this thread. In the context of this thread, I mentioned that I am using it to explain how I have been able to give up a number of my previously strong CRAVE foods, such as pizza, with such remarkable EASE.

Edited by Jingthing

• 3 weeks later...

I bought some beef and tried and tested to eat a little of it raw. Based on the idea that maybe raw is more natural for the human body. From the taste I think my body wanted to tell me that it isn't a good idea.....so no raw meat....

If you want to eat raw or rare beef make sure it's imported (NZ, Australia, USA) or if you can only afford Thai beef freeze it first because you'll end up with tapeworms if you don't.

Edited by tropo

If you want to eat raw or rare beef make sure it's imported (NZ, Australia, USA) or if you can only afford Thai beef freeze it first because you'll end up with tapeworms if you don't.

just read about tapeworms xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png ....I think I'll stop such experiments.....

Good thread Jing Ting

Well, i haven't progressed at all, but i am seriously taking a look at my health and i know i need to change. (not to say i have suffered any health problems, but i am 76kg and 170cm, so a bit over weight and i know it will only get worse. I am 26 and i feel it more difficult nowadays to keep the fat off with minimal effort. If i keep up my normal diet i am guaranteed to put on more weight, become diabetic like my dad, have high blood pressure etc etc...)

Foods that i think i should cut out completely:

alcohol

deep fried food

fast food

potato chips

chocolate

butter

red meat (probably all meat, except fish, but especially red meat)

white bread

sticky rice

Foods that i think i should limit:

all meat (except fish)

dairy (except natural yogurt, and especially cheese)

ice cream (i eat it too infrequently to do any harm anyway)

popcorn (i eat it too infrequently to do any harm anyway)

white rice

Foods i think i should increase:

vegetables (especially green ones)

fruit (the less sugary kind)

brown rice

oatmeal

whole grain bread

whole wheat noodles

This will be my New Years resolution!

At age 26 I would have hated to have so much fear ruling my life.

Anything with hydrogenated oils that means cakes , pastries etc, all processed food no exception, sugar, sausage, any non organic meat, dairy or farm fish.

What can you eat? Fruit and vegetables, brown rice,lentils. beans , buckwheat, fish, tea without sugar , limited amount of organic meat and dairy . Not easy to do especially in Thailand.

Stopped

Smoking 6 months ago (40-60 a day to zero)

Rice

Noodles

Bread

Sugar

Almond Magnum

I definitely miss the above but it's been a while now so I'm over them apart from the occasional craving

I eat lots of
Grilled chicken
Grilled Seafood
Eggs
Coke Zero
Roasted Duck
Crispy Pork
Spinach/Rocket
I eat in moderation
Alcohol - maybe 3 or 4 vodka sodas a week
I want to eat less of
Almonds - once I start, I can't stop and they're extremely calorific
Frankly my diet ( a bastardized Atkins is pretty boring but I love everything in it.
I'm at the gym 4-5 times a week and I never, ever skip 30 minutes hard but low impact cardio after solid resistance stuff.
When you get to a certain age, you have simple choices, I suppose. Let yourself go or don't. I chose the latter
  • Like 1

just read about tapeworms xsick.gif.pagespeed.ic.tVTSNn-2vr.png ....I think I'll stop such experiments.....

A 12 hour freeze kills the tapeworm larvae cysts in raw meat, so if you feel the desire to go primal again - you'll be safe.smile.png

• Like 1

Stopped

Smoking 6 months ago (40-60 a day to zero)

Rice

Noodles

Bread

Sugar

Almond Magnum

I definitely miss the above but it's been a while now so I'm over them apart from the occasional craving

I eat lots of
Grilled chicken
Grilled Seafood
Eggs
Coke Zero
Roasted Duck
Crispy Pork
Spinach/Rocket
I eat in moderation
Alcohol - maybe 3 or 4 vodka sodas a week
I want to eat less of
Almonds - once I start, I can't stop and they're extremely calorific
Frankly my diet ( a bastardized Atkins is pretty boring but I love everything in it.
I'm at the gym 4-5 times a week and I never, ever skip 30 minutes hard but low impact cardio after solid resistance stuff.
When you get to a certain age, you have simple choices, I suppose. Let yourself go or don't. I chose the latter

I like how you said once you get to a certain age you have to choose.. and that is what it is. A choice, the older you get the more effort it gets to maintain stuff (ok your slowly going down but in comparison to others your age and younger you can still look much better)