Dont drink

Dont smoke

Had stop:

daily yoghurts

Cheese

Bacon

For cholesterol reasons

Changed the milk

Need to cut back on bread, but just love sandwiches!

Mayoonaise also a problem but again its tied to sandwiches.

Why don't smoke?

I actually finished smoking 2-3 years ago and surely it isn't healthy, but I doubt it hinders reducing fat. Actually there are claims that it suppress hunger.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good posting JT.

My own philosophy is calories in/calories out and hence most things will be ok in moderation provided I am doing a modicum of exercise. For me it is really also more of upgrading the quality of my diet, thus there is no way I will do without bread, but I might eat more brown bread instead of white. But I will try to stick directly to the question.

Out

Alcohol ( more or less tee total already)

Cigarettes (went some time ago)

Juices.

Sugary drinks (except for the odd coca-cola)

Sugary, fatty, salty crap cakes and snacks.

Biscuits (at least banned from fridge).

Coffee (I wouldn't but i am a big tea drinker already)

Vitamin supplements.

In

Vaping (at least for the time being).

Good chocolate products (at least 40% unadulterated cocoa)

Cocoa: Dutch ok as loaded with vits and minerals.

Fruit and veg. of course.

Cereals of course.

Bacon and eggs cooked well.

Unsweetened bio yoghurt.

Garlic or garlic pills.

Fish

You sound like a reformed man MB, well done!

FWIW I've now got one years data showing my diet and blood glucose levels every day for twelve months, it makes fascinating reading. I've changed my diet so much now that my blood sugar levels are almost never even a little bit high any more and I've lost virtually all fat around my body. The struggle of course now as someone who is over 60 is to try and maintain muscle and avoid body sag, that's really quite tough to do and I struggle with it. But the fact is that if you want to loose fat, it can be done purely through a restricted diet combined with lots and lots of will power, just dump the refined carbs,and sugar and go low glycemic with everything in moderation.

• Like 1

Good work CM.

My diet was always pretty good but I have always liked a bit of sugar from time to time.

It is not that I have any blood sugar issues but I just wanted to get rid of sugar totally out of my diet for health reasons.

I have been going for a few weeks now with no sugar and have lost a few kilos.

I haven't really had any cravings either.

I am taking L Glutamine which apparently helps stop sugar cravings if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

I find now that I've got my diet under control I can occasionally eat something I have a craving for and my body manages that burst quite well, tirimisu is my latest luxury, once every two or three weeks is fine but of course this is where the will power part comes in. I also found out my chance that I was vitamin B deficient, I still don't know which vitamin B (tests show not B12) but since I started taking a B Complex vitamin my digestive system has never worked better and my sugar levels are much more constant.

I find now that I've got my diet under control I can occasionally eat something I have a craving for and my body manages that burst quite well, tirimisu is my latest luxury, once every two or three weeks is fine but of course this is where the will power part comes in. I also found out my chance that I was vitamin B deficient, I still don't know which vitamin B (tests show not B12) but since I started taking a B Complex vitamin my digestive system has never worked better and my sugar levels are much more constant.

I restrict a lot but i let go at times too.. that is the willpower thing you need to do it right like 80-90 percent of the time and not overdo it that 10% and most people will be fine.

Been maintaining my weight now for more then a year and it stays the same so I got it under control. I hope it will become my new body setpoint soon.

Haven't you read in another thread that multi vitamins are a waste of money coffee1.gif

Haven't you read in another thread that multi vitamins are a waste of money coffee1.gif

Well I suppose they might be if you don't know which ones you are deficient in and you're just taking them because it seems like a good idea, a multi-vitamin seems to fit that bill but it's not an unnecessary precaution in my book. And a majority of people over age 60 are B12 and zinc deficient, alcohol is leading cause of B12 deficiency hence that one's particularly relevant to older expats here I would guess. And now that I've found that taking B complex has had such a dramatic effect on my life, I wonder what other vitamins/minerals I might be deficient in without realizing it, a question I'm likely to actively pursue, each to their own however.

• Like 1

Well I suppose they might be if you don't know which ones you are deficient in and you're just taking them because it seems like a good idea, a multi-vitamin seems to fit that bill but it's not an unnecessary precaution in my book. And a majority of people over age 60 are B12 and zinc deficient, alcohol is leading cause of B12 deficiency hence that one's particularly relevant to older expats here I would guess. And now that I've found that taking B complex has had such a dramatic effect on my life, I wonder what other vitamins/minerals I might be deficient in without realizing it, a question I'm likely to actively pursue, each to their own however.

I am not sure what i miss.. i might or might not go on taking them. I do know that taking the juices i make has had more of an impact. That does lead me to think that its always best to try to get them from foods, but as a realist i know its not always possible.

I am not sure what i miss.. i might or might not go on taking them. I do know that taking the juices i make has had more of an impact. That does lead me to think that its always best to try to get them from foods, but as a realist i know its not always possible.

Agreed. I spend 18,000 baht a year on insuring my car, purely as a precaution against something that might never happen, how unreasonable is that I also spend 4,000 a year on multivitamins to protect my body against similar risks.

I restrict a lot but i let go at times too.. that is the willpower thing you need to do it right like 80-90 percent of the time and not overdo it that 10% and most people will be fine.

Been maintaining my weight now for more then a year and it stays the same so I got it under control. I hope it will become my new body setpoint soon.

Well, I think it is much more difficult to do it right 80-90 % of the time. It is like smoking a little bit for an ex smoker.

While cutting it 100 % is way easier. No struggle with the willpower. I just don't eat any sweet things (sweetest think I eat is an apple every few days). So I don't have the willpower struggle, because a cake is total out of question.

Way easier but of course very dogmatic.....

Well, I think it is much more difficult to do it right 80-90 % of the time. It is like smoking a little bit for an ex smoker.

While cutting it 100 % is way easier. No struggle with the willpower. I just don't eat any sweet things (sweetest think I eat is an apple every few days). So I don't have the willpower struggle, because a cake is total out of question.

Part of me agrees with what you are saying. However I am in the maintenance phase.. in the weight loss phase i was like you and then its easier to cut it all out.

Part of me agrees with what you are saying. However I am in the maintenance phase.. in the weight loss phase i was like you and then its easier to cut it all out.

The worst I'll keep cut out forever, Tiramisu, Cheeseburger, Cake, Normal Coke. The sometimes I'll apply to homemade Pizza, Wiener Schnitzel, wine, beer etc....

Before I had the tendency for example on cheeseburger that I can eat 4 cheeseburger and I don't even like them too much. Somehow I can't eat 1 and say that was good, but it is enough.

And well I have an office job, where I most of the time just sit.....

My 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch slice of Tiramisu every three weeks challenges your "sometimes" pizza, and I'll raise you a kebab and see you. biggrin.png

Well on the self made Pizza there is:

wheat powder

a little rye powder

salt

water

olive oil only so it does not stick in the form

ham

tomato concentrate

herbs, garlic, chilli

salami

mozzarella (or cheddar if it is the only fair priced cheese)

So I think my pizza is a sure winner against your Tiramisu.

But if you raise a kebab, I must demand a detailed investigation of it licklips.gif.pagespeed.ce.v-hsVd-Wpu.gif

For such food is simple trick, you must eat it at midnight than the calorie count neither for the old nor for the new day tongue.png.

OR you drink a lot ice cold beer while eating it, than the body needs so much energy to warm up the beer before it leaves the body again, that it zeros out with the kebab tongue.png

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

given up: bread, noodles, rice, fatty things, sugar, fast food, fruit juice, restaurants

to give up: Pizza (eat it rarely and self made), alcohol.

to add: more of the green stuff, that is normally eaten by rabbits and goats....

I was at home in Scotland for the first time in 4 years and the first time i had taken the wife and daughter in September. We had a great time. But the pictures were bad, i'm a fat twonk. When i flew offshore on the 13th of Sept i was 119KG...i was actually 120 at one point in june.

I have been on the rig since then so into my 7th week. I have not had a single soft drink, only water and drinking 3Ltrs a day. I've not ate bread, pasta, rice or any potatoes, only the meat options and at lunchtime i eat salad. For breakfast i have two boiled eggs and a sausage.

I am now 112.5Kg and dropping. I'd like to be 109 by new years eve. I go back to Thailand on Wednesday, then Scotland the 5th then back on the rig on the 12th till the end of the year so being on the rig helps keep temptation out the way.

I do still nibble now and again on the cookies, but i am not totally serious on this, but what i am doing seems to be working. I am not doing exercise yet i'll start that when i'm at home

Hopefully when i leave the rig on weds i'll be 111KG

Edited by Franky Bear

I was at home in Scotland for the first time in 4 years and the first time i had taken the wife and daughter in September. We had a great time. But the pictures were bad, i'm a fat twonk. When i flew offshore on the 13th of Sept i was 119KG...i was actually 120 at one point in june.

I have been on the rig since then so into my 7th week. I have not had a single soft drink, only water and drinking 3Ltrs a day. I've not ate bread, pasta, rice or any potatoes, only the meat options and at lunchtime i eat salad. For breakfast i have two boiled eggs and a sausage.

I am now 112.5Kg and dropping. I'd like to be 109 by new years eve. I go back to Thailand on Wednesday, then Scotland the 5th then back on the rig on the 12th till the end of the year so being on the rig helps keep temptation out the way.

I do still nibble now and again on the cookies, but i am not totally serious on this, but what i am doing seems to be working. I am not doing exercise yet i'll start that when i'm at home

Some sausage (not all) contain lots of carbs and sugar. Keep an eye on that. Ham or everything where you can see the actual meat inside should be OK.

Well the cookies are bad. I would rather drop the cookies and allow myself some wine or beer sometimes. Due to the sugar in the cookies they make you more hungry.

Minus 7 kg is nice!!!! When you have a possibility for weight training on the rig, absolute do it. Many fat people have big muscles below the fat. When you diet you'll also loose them (a lot genetics on how much of it), with some weight training you keep them/gain more/or at least loss less. Gives you a way better shape and it is much easier to keep muscles than gain them.

Some sausage (not all) contain lots of carbs and sugar. Keep an eye on that. Ham or everything where you can see the actual meat inside should be OK.

Well the cookies are bad. I would rather drop the cookies and allow myself some wine or beer sometimes. Due to the sugar in the cookies they make you more hungry.

Minus 7 kg is nice!!!! When you have a possibility for weight training on the rig, absolute do it. Many fat people have big muscles below the fat. When you diet you'll also loose them (a lot genetics on how much of it), with some weight training you keep them/gain more/or at least loss less. Gives you a way better shape and it is much easier to keep muscles than gain them.

I was eating yogurt for breakfast but seemed to stick at 115KG for more than a week. So my friend told me to change to the boiled eggs and sausage in the morning and 2/3 KG have come off since then...i changed to that about 10 days ago. There's not been any alcohol passed my lips in 8 weeks. I know the cookies are bad, but when you are stuck on a rig you need a bit of relief. I used to eat a lot, but now it's one a day and not every day either

I was eating yogurt for breakfast but seemed to stick at 115KG for more than a week. So my friend told me to change to the boiled eggs and sausage in the morning and 2/3 KG have come off since then...i changed to that about 10 days ago. There's not been any alcohol passed my lips in 8 weeks. I know the cookies are bad, but when you are stuck on a rig you need a bit of relief. I used to eat a lot, but now it's one a day and not every day either

First of all: "What works-works". Weight loss can be strange sometimes, like 2 weeks you are on the same weight (or even get more), even you eat almost nothing. Next day you are by magic 2 kg lighter. But still if you lost 2-3 kg, just don't change anything it is obvious right.

I read that eggs have some fatty acids that also help on a diet, but don't know if that is true or not.

For me, against all recommendations it works best if I don't eat breakfast....if possible only dinner. I am normally not hungry in the morning and not get hungry unless I eat breakfast. But everyone is different.....

At some point you'll encounter that you move around much easier which you'll really enjoy. I recall after a long time I went downtown Bangkok, went up the stairs to the skytrain and it felt somehow wrong, that on top everything is still normal and I am not sweating like a pig.

As more you loose as more you'll feel the difference.

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

I have cut out 99% of all processed carbs from my diet and anything that contains added sugar, my weak spots that remain are for bread (usually dark bavarian rye of similar) and English style sausages (about once a month). Despite those changes to my diet I still gain weight from time to time, my target is 82 kgs but when I hit 84 kgs. I start to reduce food intake and exercise more.

I have cut out 99% of all processed carbs from my diet and anything that contains added sugar, my weak spots that remain are for bread (usually dark bavarian rye of similar) and English style sausages (about once a month). Despite those changes to my diet I still gain weight from time to time, my target is 82 kgs but when I hit 84 kgs. I start to reduce food intake and exercise more.

That is the way it works.. keeping check on your weight and taking action if you go up too much. I know that is how it works with me. In general i stay on weight but at times i let go a bit too much and go up a bit.

Except for special occasion with family I have cut out: all bakery products, all red meat, all chicken, fish (except small portion of sockeye salmon once a week), all eggs, all dairy except yogurt ice cream (no cheese), all oils except olive oil & a little coconut oil.

To give up: yogurt ice cream to be replaced by soy or almond ice cream.

Foods to eat more of: turmeric, cloves, oregano, kale, spinach, broccoli (with ground mustard), cinnamon, sage, flax seed, avocados, beans, walnuts, pecans, garlic, Brussels sprouts, onions, regular oatmeal, blueberries, cranberries, ginger, red delicious apples, and green tea.

Edited by ronz28
  • Like 1