Legal age of consent in Thailand 16 or 18

quiuvo

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 if they are your wife (with a judges permission)

15 if they are your gf (with parental permission)

20 if they are an employee

Remember, your own countries laws are also in effect, if you ever plan on returning there.

Wow! I want to read the law. Can somebody lead me there? I think 13 is too young but if the law says so then it is incredible. Even 15 leaves me thinking about the judgment of the law makers.

Where is the 18 year old come into play? No parental consent? You throw in employee for kicks?

• Like 1

Remember, your own countries laws are also in effect, if you ever plan on returning there.

Wow! I want to read the law. Can somebody lead me there? I think 13 is too young but if the law says so then it is incredible. Even 15 leaves me thinking about the judgment of the law makers.

Where is the 18 year old come into play? No parental consent? You throw in employee for kicks?

Until age 20 children are the property of their parents in Thailand.

Also a law was brought in forbidding prostitution for the under 20s.

It used to be age 18 until they upped the age to 20, which is where I assume you heard 18 from.

An employee is someone you pay.

Traditional Thai judgement for getting a 13 year old pregnant, judge rules marry her or go to jail.

Edited by FiftyTwo
  • Like 2

Yes, and a good thing 'your own countries laws are in effect'. Would you even contemplate as an adult having sex with a young teenager in your own country ?? I don't think so.

• Like 1

You can read the legal statutes here - Thailand Criminal Law

Geese Louise did anyone read or make sense out of ALL that?

My GUESS is 18 is safe until you piss someone off?!?

Here

Section 283 bis Whoever, takes away the person over fifteen years but not yet over eighteen years of age for indecent act with consent of such person, shall be punished with imprisonment of not exceeding five years or fined not exceeding ten thousand Baht, or both.

Up to 5 years for someone 16-17 years old. It is higher if they are 15 or younger

Edited by DP25
  • Like 2

You can read the legal statutes here - Thailand Criminal Law

Geese Louise did anyone read or make sense out of ALL that?

My GUESS is 18 is safe until you piss someone off?!?

That's what lawyers get paid for :)

Personally, seeing as the law doesn't regard a person as an adult until they are 20 years old, I would use that age as a rule.

Although 20 year olds are way to young for me anyway :lol:

And when you say '18 is safe until you piss someone off' In my experience, even if you're doing something perfectly legal, and you piss someone off, they're still pissed off :)

• Like 1

Always heard and read about 18 year – with the above mention notes about marriage if younger than 15 and parets approval when 15 to 17 – checked Wikipedia, still says the same:

The age of consent in Thailand is 15 (with the below caveat) as specified by article 279 of the Thai Criminal Code. The current legislation applies to all regardless of gender and/or sexual orientation.
However, parts of the Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, which disallow any sexual contact with prostitutes under the age of 18, are widely interpreted by some local authorities to cover sexual acts classed as "obscenity for personal gratification". Also from the Penal Code Amendment Act of 1997 Section 283bis, having sex with a child under 18 is a compoundable offense even with the consent of that person. The parent or the child may file charges against the other side if he or she later regrets his or her own action. This ostensibly makes the Thai unfettered age of consent 18.
A high profile example of this application of the law was a statutory rape charge filed against the lead singer of the Thai band Big Ass for allegedly having had sex with a (then) 16-year-old girl. The charge was filed by the girl after the singer refused to take responsibility for her baby. The singer has since been cleared of being the baby's father due to the results of a paternity test and he received 2 years suspended sentence.

Yes, and a good thing 'your own countries laws are in effect'. Would you even contemplate as an adult having sex with a young teenager in your own country ?? I don't think so.

I try never to presume.

As FiftyTwo stated in post #2, several countries' laws trump Thai laws for its citizens anywhere, wherever the former's laws are more restrictive.

Example: in the early-to-mid 2000s, U.S. AG Ashcroft established a new policy, warning that any American citizen anywhere, regardless of local laws, would be charged with Pedophilia-related crimes if he or she had sex with someone under the age of 18.

As far as I know, no succeeding AG has ever rescinded the policy, nor has anyone so-charged ever appealed their conviction up to the SCOTUS.

Edited by SeabagsFull
  • Like 2

How can you refer to a 16 year old as a 'lady'?

They may occasionally appear/act like that, but both mentally and by most legal definitions they are a child.

A bit off subject but to compare worldwide

After some net research I find in the USA that with parent consent marriage laws in below states are :

Massachusetts male 14 & female 13

New Hampshire male 14 & female 13

Delaware & California NO RESTRICTIONS ON AGE

As FiftyTwo stated in post #2, several countries' laws trump Thai laws for its citizens anywhere, wherever the former's laws are more restrictive.

Example: in the early-to-mid 2000s, U.S. AG Ashcroft established a new policy, warning that any American citizen anywhere, regardless of local laws, would be charged with Pedophilia-related crimes if he or she had sex with someone under the age of 18.

As far as I know, no succeeding AG has ever rescinded the policy, nor has anyone so-charged ever appealed their conviction up to the SCOTUS.

Surely this must be in regard to haing 'paid for' sex, not just having sex? As Rotary has highlighted, there are different ages of consent in different states, so if an American wanted to marry a Thai 17 year old (with her parents' permission) why wouldn't this be legal if it was legal in his home state?

You should do a Google on this - Thailand is nowhere near unique - eg. it is 14 in Germany and 13 in Spain - and several other countries have similarly surprising ages of consent - although usually with qualifications. However, several countries seem to be about to up these historic AOCs, possibly due to public concerns about the role of the internet.

Surely this must be in regard to haing 'paid for' sex, not just having sex? As Rotary has highlighted, there are different ages of consent in different states, so if an American wanted to marry a Thai 17 year old (with her parents' permission) why wouldn't this be legal if it was legal in his home state?

My understanding is that only Thai boys do not have to pay...whistling.gif

• Like 1

tongue.pnggiggle.gif

Until age 20 children are the property of their parents in Thailand.

Also a law was brought in forbidding prostitution for the under 20s.

It used to be age 18 until they upped the age to 20, which is where I assume you heard 18 from.

An employee is someone you pay.

Traditional Thai judgement for getting a 13 year old pregnant, judge rules marry her or go to jail.

Prostitution is Ilegal in

Thailand.

In USA age of consent is established by each state. In many states the age of consent is below 18.

BTW, the age of sexual consent in the Vatican is 12.