How much do you tip a caddy?

scubascuba3

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I generally tip 300 unless she is really bad then I tip 200 or change the caddy, which I have done only twice in 15 years. I do find that the cost of golf has gone up a lot since I have been living here. Used to play for as little as 100 at Century with 200 caddy fee (that was the lowest) but generally caddy and golf and tip was about 1000 baht. Now I take a cart more often which is an additional 600/300 depending on sharing. Golf now seems to be just about 2000 baht on the standard Pattaya course and upwards of 3000 on the prime plays.

Just came back from a USA trip, yearly, and in Florida rates are about 1500 bath prime time with cart and 700 for twilight golf, starting at 2pm. Nice courses some carts with gps, Golf is now less expensive than in Thailand, but then so is Gasoline, Cars, Clothing, Peanut Butter etc. Before these were less expensive here but they have switched.

Having a fun caddy or bar buddy .....priceless

Though it's the best thing to do, you're not really obligated to tip them or to tip any specific amount. They already get paid from the caddy fee you pay. Also, the minimum salary these days is 9000 baht a month. I like to give plenty of tip, I always have, but it's not like you're insulting anyone by tipping them 100-150 either. Thai people often don't tip at all or limit it to very small tip amounts.

As a previous poster has stated this was all discussed before.

Before you get confused with previous posts regarding this subject I will confess it was my wife using my account as she was "disappointed" by the lack of knowledge shown by farang so called golfers in Thailand.

Firstly no golf course employs caddies. Their "salary" is caddie fee (minus booking fee) plus tip. Read that sentence again to avoid confusing your golfing friends.

My wife works in the golf business in Thailand. There has NEVER been a case of a Thai not tipping a caddie the regular amount at her course.

How many Thais have you played with to say Thais don't tip. I only play with Thais and they tip the caddie fee. Plus 20 baht for a birdie.

There are numerous courses in Thailand where the amount to tip is displayed in the proshop.

Asians tour groups are informed by the tour leader to tip the caddie fee to avoid confusion.

Being of limited means I have had to take the ultimate solution of no tip at all. That also means no golf which is a bit of a downer! Golf has become a rich man's sport in Thailand.

Depends on where you live. I have 2 rounds a week and spend between 500 - 1500 Baht a week depending on where I play.

Please everyone.. please ignore this post and it is just plain wrong advice. Thais tip just as Farangs .. only the middle class play golf, so they have money.. I have come across only one farang who didn't tip and every time I looked at him afterwards I though ..what a scum bag.... 100 baht tip would be an insult except maybe on poorer province for 9 holes (I am not sure).. so tip you caddy the standard amount! Thai people are the most wonderful people to live around and by and large the caddies make your round a much more enjoyable experience... so don't insult them and give us all a bad name, which the majority of us don't deserve!!

Though it's the best thing to do, you're not really obligated to tip them or to tip any specific amount. They already get paid from the caddy fee you pay. Also, the minimum salary these days is 9000 baht a month. I like to give plenty of tip, I always have, but it's not like you're insulting anyone by tipping them 100-150 either. Thai people often don't tip at all or limit it to very small tip amounts.

Edited by SPIKECM
  • Like 2

My mate in Issan once tipped a caddy 20 baht as she was a useless miserable b*****d and wouldn't watch where the ball went or help him search when he went in the rough.

Loss of face there I think.

Yup, spray the balls all over the place and then blame the caddie, talk about losing face...

Generally, I think a lot of players are just too focused on playing well, but because they dont have the skills they get upset when things go wrong. In sports psychology, this is referred to as escape-behaviour; refusing to admit the true reason for your failure. Instead, the club, the ball, the course, the shoes or whatever you can think of gets the blame. And the caddie gets her share.

I think a majority of players (out of the ones who regularly behave like <deleted> on the golf course) would benefit from focusing on having fun instead of behaving as if they had a chance at the tour.

This is where the caddies in Thailand make a great job. A majority of them are fun as he**. Just relax, enjoy your time at the golf course and have a good time with caddies, go with the flow and before you know it something remarkable will happen; when you enjoy your time at the golf course you will begin to play better.

I miss playing golf in Thailand. And most of all I miss all the laughs with the caddies.

With this in mind, tip your caddie. <deleted>.

• Like 2

I might not be with the crowd here. I LOVE having caddies. No, I don't get BJs in the rough or play grab ass. I just love the interaction of having a paid for cheering section in the group. If you treat them right they open up and can really make the game more fun.

I had a regular at one course who I had to convince to stop betting on me. She was betting another caddy whose player was about my equal so that was OK. But we had different games. I was longer and got a few more birdiest. But he was straighter and more consistent hitting greens and putt better. His caddy worked a bet for greens in regulation, OBs, 3 putts, in the traps, etc. It favored his game. Birdies didn't count. His caddy was smart too mut. smile.png

I remember another time I was playing in the PSC Monthly Medal at Eastern Star. We are standing on the long drive hole which in truth was really the wrong hole to have it. It was a par 5 that narrowed at about 280 yards to 20 yards across with water right and bunkers left. Stupid place for it. I of course was struggling that day and didn't give a crap and just took some frustration out with the driver. oops. I accidentally hammered it with a DRAW (for me unusual) that I expected to stay in the water right but it came back just enough to land a yard dry and HIT A SPRINKLER HEAD bounding forward another 30-40 yards leaving me about 150 yards to the green and about 80 yards ahead of any other long drive marker in the fairway. What really made it great was the caddies. It was almost as if they rehearsed. All I heard when it landed on ground (sprinkler head) was 4 voices synchronized "oooh, young man". Oh yeah, that's me. laugh.png

Enough rambling. My thoughts on caddy tipping. IMO the reason they are mandatory is thailand really has a work ethic. And they want full employment. So they "tax" activities with things like - caddies. Same for the guy at the gate. They don't really DO anything but get paid everyday and your green fee covers that. Thais pay it too. And unless the caddy is sulking or talking on the phone or bad attitude I feel the minimum tip for a beginer should be about 200 baht. I typically tip 300 if the caddy gave it a good go and has some clue. My regular at Green Valley gets 500 baht every time. And yes, she is ALWAYS there when I call. thumbsup.gif

never golfed in Thailand so this is a bit new to me. i have a couple questions if you would be so kind. (sincerely)

1) do you need to have a caddy in all courses in Thailand?

2) i notice the word "she" a few times but never "he." are they always female?

3) if yes to questions 2, do they actually advise or are they just there to pull you clubs (no pun intended) and something to stare at.

Sorry if number 3 is a bit sexist, but most women I know dont really know much about golf, and its an all female thing then it sounds a bit like knowledge of the games is not the primary concern.

1. If there are caddies at the course, a Falang must use one. Some courses (small rural or navy) don't have them, you can drag your own trolley which they supply.

2. Yes there are some males, but reasonably rare. Usually on the bigger pro courses.

3. My girl caddy is excellent. She pulls clubs, advises me, tells me to calm down and play safe, reminds me of the wind and that I better use the 7 and not the 8, can pick a really good putting line and is tuned in to my pace of putting, cleans my shoes, cleans the heads every week with water and a brush, puts the bag in the truck, organises other caddies for the group, makes sure we jump the queue if she can get away with it, sells me new balls really cheap.....she can actually play a fair game of golf herself. If she was half way decent looking I'd marry her, but she's got a face only a mother could love. biggrin.png

My mates have found that you're best to try a few caddies and pick one you like as a regular. The better they know you, the more fun they are, the better job they do, the more they want to retain you as a regular customer, the more they are tuned into your game, the more help they can give you. They're not going to help you fix your slice, but a good one can make a difference to your game.

The guys that go for the prettiest one, or the cutest body, and change caddies every week are usually not satisfied with them as caddies and get no real help with their game.

I agree with all the above which is also my personal experience. A good caddy who is a regular for you becomes like family and those who can read putts well are certainly worth booking. Anyone can pull a cart but that does not make a good caddy. Attitude and ability are key. Also getting bookings in the low season when they would otherwise not be working is a real bonus as all work to make money and it can be hard in the low season.

While a low tip is a sign of displeasure, most courses have a box to put in comment cards for caddy performance. That is an option where you can comment on why you may have been unhappy with their work, lack of experience, etc. At least some improvement may come from that as management will have feedback rather than just the caddy who may not even know why the tip is lower than normal.

I also expect Thais tip adequate as Thai men playing golf have money. Caddies tell of them betting significant sums on their games so money is not much of an issue with them. They also book regular caddies as one of mine has a regular Thai customer.

As a general comment on tipping, I see people tip bar girls, waitresses, etc. a lot for just brining a drink which takes no time at all. At least a caddy is with you for 4-5 hours and providing a service which can be quite good. Most have families and are doing the best they can with honest work and are deserving. While there are some useless caddies in general there seems to be a correlation between people who regularly complain about their caddy and their attitude and personality a viewed by the other golfers. You tend to get back what you give and it is hard to be upbeat and friendly to a miserable person. As someone else noted, some caddies will be "no shows or sick" when some people book them as the caddy does not want to spend the day with them. Can't blame them for that.

• Like 2

My mate in Issan once tipped a caddy 20 baht as she was a useless miserable b*****d and wouldn't watch where the ball went or help him search when he went in the rough.

Yup, spray the balls all over the place and then blame the caddie, talk about losing face...

Try reading my message. He didn't blame the caddie for his shit playing. She is paid and tipped not only to watch the ball when played but also help look for it.

Try reading my message. He didn't blame the caddie for his shit playing. She is paid and tipped not only to watch the ball when played but also help look for it.

I can guerantee that the only one who lost face was your friend. The caddies just thought he was a kee nok farang.

I have always wondered where you find all these caddies, I have NEVER had a caddie who didn't help me look for my ball. Generally, I can see for myself where I hit it, and I never forget who put it there...

I seldom look longer than 15 seconds for a ball, so I'm not too bothered. Obviously I have no clue how your friend behaves, so I can't comment on that, it wouldn't be fair. But my experience is that caddies lose interest when players are grumpy and ill behaved as I have seen this close up many times.

• 2 weeks later...

That's total nonsense, and as for Thais not tipping I have no idea where you got that idea from. I play most of my golf with Thais these days, and they always tip appropriately. I think 250 up is a good starting point.

Good VS bad caddie, I never tip less than B300, they need it more than me.

Caddies are a part of the fun in Thailand, I get many good laughs, I learn new words in Thai, they know the greens and distances... I always by caddies drinks and food during the game to, makes them smile even more than they already do... thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Being of limited means I have had to take the ultimate solution of no tip at all.  That also means no golf which is a bit of a downer!  Golf has become a rich man's sport in Thailand.

if limited funds living in LOS, why are you there ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Being of limited means I have had to take the ultimate solution of no tip at all. That also means no golf which is a bit of a downer! Golf has become a rich man's sport in Thailand.

if limited funds living in LOS, why are you there ?

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Spain is cheaper to live except when it comes to a round of golf (no caddy, pay for a cart if you want, and surely need one) and evening 'entertainment'...

This has been done to death on this forum use the search function

So, what? Nobody forced you to click and read this topic ... and make a rude comment. If you see a topic that doesn't interest you then just ignore it and move on.

here here....totally agree. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

This has been done to death on this forum use the search function

So, what? Nobody forced you to click and read this topic ... and make a rude comment. If you see a topic that doesn't interest you then just ignore it and move on.

Totally agree with you herbaled, what is the problem with doing a subject to death. Gives us on tv something to do all day. I just cant wait to get back to the widening of beach road. Search function should be deleted.

And I totally agree that there is nothing wrong with churning up topics again ... if that didn't happen what would all the board bast__ds on this site do all day... enjoy ....

That's total nonsense, and as for Thais not tipping I have no idea where you got that idea from. I play most of my golf with Thais these days, and they always tip appropriately. I think 250 up is a good starting point.

Right on both accounts ... you can't go wrong giving the same as the caddy fee ... my bad luck is that my wife also plays so golf costs me double.

I almost always tip 500 baht. If the caddy is particularly bad or annoying, maybe 300.

I also always split any winnings with the caddy... we usually play a 100 baht near-pin contest on all par 3's, carrying over if no one wins a given hole. When I win that, I give half to the caddy.

Note... sometimes we also play the Par 3 near-pin game and let the caddy of the winner have all the cash. We explain it to them up front... it's amazing how interested and serious they get when they know they stand to win some cash! It's fun.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To avoid dirty looks and being called nasty names, go with b. 300

having a decent round of golf in Thailand now days is an expensive

form of exercise..

eh ???

ive just come back from a 23 day tour of Pattaya, and played 6 times, I joined Pattaya sports club and then played

mainly out of 'The Golf Club' in Lk metro, the golf was tremendous value for money (and im a budget traveller who stayed in a 550 baht night room)

I paid between 1500 to 2200 per round, that included transport, Green fee, Buggy and Caddy.

The most pricy was the fantastic St Andrews course which was top class +caddy tip (300) approx. £50 sterling

In the Uk to play a comparable standard course, have a buggy and caddy and you would be paying well over £100,

compare Thai prices to Spain and Portugal !!!

all in all my 6 games cost about £250, awesome value with virtually guaranteed good weather and fantastic courses and after golf facilities,

and you can even arrange to bang the caddy later oi oi!!

a golfing paradise

ps I always tipped 300 as that was what the regulars said to give them

Edited by wotaplonker

form of exercise..

eh ???

ive just come back from a 23 day tour of Pattaya, and played 6 times, I joined Pattaya sports club and then played

mainly out of 'The Golf Club' in Lk metro, the golf was tremendous value for money (and im a budget traveller who stayed in a 550 baht night room)

I paid between 1500 to 2200 per round, that included transport, Green fee, Buggy and Caddy.

The most pricy was the fantastic St Andrews course which was top class +caddy tip (300) approx. £50 sterling

In the Uk to play a comparable standard course, have a buggy and caddy and you would be paying well over £100,

all in all my 6 games cost about £250, awesome value with virtually guaranteed good weather and fantastic courses and after golf facilities,

a golfing paradise

At least you have the right nickname

form of exercise..

eh ???

a golfing paradise

At least you have the right nickname

after playing 18 holes at my age, no chance at the other hole. Seriously, never even thought if a caddy being anything else but a caddy and someone to have a laugh with, especially when they see the way I play. Oi. Lol.

form of exercise..

eh ???

a golfing paradise

Well for us Golf is expensive here compared to what we paid in the UK. There we had 'husband and wife' membership for around 1500GBP/year ( of course that was prior to 2007 when we came here full time) ... nothing else to pay once you have purchased your electric trolley. We played 4 or more times a week.

Here, we each have a membership (a share) which cost about 350,000baht, and it is sellable (hopefully). Each time we play it cost a minimum of 1000baht (250Baht caddy fee and 250Baht tip) each. If you add on the loss of interest on the 700,000baht or 14,000GBP the cost is even more

So golf here, for us, is at least twice as expensive as we paid in the UK.

I would also disagree with the tipping levels quoted. Eleven years ago when my wife and I started playing here (she was taught here is 2002) the tip was 150baht. It has risen in stages over the years and yes has probably had a jump (no pun intended) in the last year.

We, not infrequently, play with those who have held important jobs here and I can assure you that 250baht -300baht was the norm. Today we played and both caddys were really good, the course was not busy, nor has it been for a few weeks due to the protest. We gave 300Baht each. When the protest is finished we may not pay that much. The caddy fee at our club has recently risen from 230Baht to 250Baht.

We've done this, having your own caddy, but found it a little problem if we want to change our mind about playing at the last minute, so now we take whoever is next in the queue.

We have membership at Muang Ake and people who tip 500baht there are not the norm, I can assure you of that as I have played with quite a few of the regulars there.

I almost always tip 500 baht. If the caddy is particularly bad or annoying, maybe 300.

I also always split any winnings with the caddy... we usually play a 100 baht near-pin contest on all par 3's, carrying over if no one wins a given hole. When I win that, I give half to the caddy.

Note... sometimes we also play the Par 3 near-pin game and let the caddy of the winner have all the cash. We explain it to them up front... it's amazing how interested and serious they get when they know they stand to win some cash! It's fun.

That's the kind of practice I think most regular players would strongly disagree with

• Like 1

300 is the going rate in Pattaya, especially if you play all year round. My caddy is thankful that I play all year and she has never let me down yet and turned me out for a tourist that may tip more. I got a T-Shirt for Christmas from her and obviously gave her an extra tip to cover that and then extra for Christmas.

As to giving them extra for winning a bet with your partner, you can guarantee that your caddies are also betting amongst themselves. They may be just betting on the value of your winnings but most caddies spend their spare time gambling dominoes and cards in the caddy shack, so they'll be having side bets and showing real interest in your performance - not a bad thing really.