Visa Run from Satun?

Do you just need to cross the border and come back? If so it's very, very easy - I usually cross here - https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=6.696661,100.177116&spn=0.232207,0.347786t=h&z=12 not sure of the tiny border town name but my stamp says Khuan Don which is the district and the border is on the 4184 road. It is West and North of Sadao and Padang Besar and is actually in Satun rather than Songkhla

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

Do you just need to cross the border and come back? If so it's very, very easy - I usually cross here - https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=6.696661,100.177116&spn=0.232207,0.347786t=h&z=12 not sure of the tiny border town name but my stamp says Khuan Don which is the district and the border is on the 4184 road. It is West and North of Sadao and Padang Besar and is actually in Satun rather than Songkhla

Is there a local bus? Or is the taxi/car necessary? Is it good place to visit there?

I'm not sure about a bus, we drive there, family live close by so we mix it in with a family visit - the border area itself is not a particularly exciting destination, a few market stalls either side of the border, I am told there is a bigger duty free place on the malaysian side but it's never been an interest to me. I'd describe the crossing as speedy and functional, not really a fun day out.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd
  • Like 1

I'll be going there in late December as I have to stamp out/ stamp in for my Non O as well. Usually I go to Pedang Besar but this looks more interesting. Probably less people than Sadao or other southern border crossings.

On the downside, no popping into Tops in Hat Yai for much needed western ingredients for cooking. Such is life but Hat Yai in late December will be manic as usual. Shopping can wait until the new year.

Was just in Satun in Oct and made a visa run to Wang Prachun, it about1 hour from Satun, Once u trun off the main border its very scenic

Market is ONLY on thai side Sat/Sunday, nothing on the Malay side. very easy border and can drive.

What we did was extied thailand and then drove a day in Malasyai an re entered Thailand At Betong

Or u can go to Lankawi if u wish by boat ( of course)

• Like 1

Was just in Satun in Oct and made a visa run to Wang Prachun, it about1 hour from Satun, Once u trun off the main border its very scenic

Market is ONLY on thai side Sat/Sunday, nothing on the Malay side. very easy border and can drive.

What we did was extied thailand and then drove a day in Malasyai an re entered Thailand At Betong

No formalities associated with taking a car from Thailand into Malaysia ?

Cool - just checked and that's the crossing I'm referring to as well - I recognise the place on a google photo search. You're right, I downplayed the scenery on the way there, it is very nice and there is the Thale Ban National Park, which if nothing else has a great name and am sure is very nice if you go in.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

No formalities associated with taking a car from Thailand into Malaysia ?

There are quite a few formalities, normally including:

1) Tempoarary export documentation to/from Thailand, requires original vehicle registration.

2) Malayasian stick on plates - obtained at the border.

3) Malaysian Insurance.

4) Tranlation to english of the vehicle registration details by the Thai Land Transport Dept.

5) Malaysian inspection and issue of road permit document - no heavy tints allowed.

That's the main items, there are also restritions on what fuel you can buy in Malaysia with limit restrictions on diesel purchase within a certain number of Km from the border, plus a blanket ban on low octane fuel purchase for non Malay vehicles.

This can add more than 30 mins to your journey at the border

just a note on tint Max allowed in Malaysia is 50% , when i crossed at Sadoa thay took a light meter and told me mine were too dark, I told them iwould take the film off an then followed him back into the office and waited and he gave me the papers,

Also when i crossed at both border no thai papers were giving me ( unlike going to Laos where they enter my car into the computer an give me export pappers.. Or Cambodia where they also give me export papers.

Coming back ( 3 times now) from Malaysia, never asked for the papers

At Satun no problem at all

Translation done in Transport office ( did mine in Phuket) costs 50 baht need show passport and Car book

Insurance for my honda civic for 30 days was 800 baht

Diesel i dont know

HIgh octane was ONLY 24 baht/lt!!! and no limit

Edited by phuketrichard

just a note on tint Max allowed in Malaysia is 50% , when i crossed at Sadoa thay took a light meter and told me mine were too dark, I told them iwould take the film off an then followed him back into the office and waited and he gave me the papers,

Also when i crossed at both border no thai papers were giving me ( unlike going to Laos where they enter my car into the computer an give me export pappers.. Or Cambodia where they also give me export papers.

Coming back ( 3 times now) from Malaysia, never asked for the papers

At Satun no problem at all

Translation done in Transport office ( did mine in Phuket) costs 50 baht need show passport and Car book

Insurance for my honda civic for 30 days was 800 baht

Diesel i dont know

HIgh octane was ONLY 24 baht/lt!!! and no limit

Regarding export, once you have stamped out of Thailand, you park up and go to the last booth at Thai Customs with your passport and tabien rot, they enter your details into a register, you sign a log and they give you some official papers.

You do the reverse on your return.

I also know people who have missed this process and, it being as TIT, nothing was said or done, however the above is the correct procedure.

Yes the cheap fuel is why there are restrictions for refueling.

In the past Thais were hopping accross the border to fill up as a matter of routine; Malaysian fuel is tax subsidised so hence this particular door being closed by the Malays.