Southern Thai provinces under water

webfact

Southern provinces under water

208392-imagejpeg-315949-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Almost the entire municipal area of Nakhon Si Thammarat is under water of about one metre deep whereas in Yala province a hunt for an escaping crocodile is in progress.

Heavy rains for the past several rains have sent a wall of flash flood down the Khao Luang mountain range into the township of Nakhon Si Thammarat and other districts of this southern province.

Besides the Muang district township which is under one metre of water on Friday, Thursday, the entire Thung Song district is also submerged whereas roads linking Pipoon, Chulabhorn, Ronpiboon, Phrom Khiri and Larn Saka districts are flooded.

About 20,000 people in 11 districts of Phatthalung province have been affected by flooding. Some 50,000 rai of farmland have been damaged and more than 30 schools are closed down.

Outlying areas of Songkhla province are submerged with some areas reporting the depth of the water at about one metre.

In the swollen Su-ngai Kolok river has burst its banks and started to flood the low-lying areas first. Governor Apinan Suethanuwong ordered quick dredging of klongs to facilitate the flow of flood waters.

In Yala, a crocodile was reported to have escaped from a farm and a hunt was launched to capture it. But the beast is still free.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/southern-provinces-water/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-23

• Like 1

No mention of flood prevention work in the South?

Flood prevention is almost impossible in the eastern coastal plains of the deep south.

They are low lying and the high tides and big waves are preventing the emptying of rivers in the sea.

Factor in the monster N.E monsoon (Nov-Dec) and you are done.

No it is not. Most of the Netherlands is below sea level. It will not be cheap but it can be done.

Flood prevention is almost impossible in the eastern coastal plains of the deep south.

They are low lying and the high tides and big waves are preventing the emptying of rivers in the sea.

All those Democrat voters don't help either.

I am in Nakhon Si Thammarat . Stuck here for 3 days now. What a mess!

I sympathize with you, but it is not a surprise. November and December is a no go to the southern provinces because the amount of rainfall they get during this time is abysmal. Catastrophic floods happen on yearly basis over there during this time!

Edited by Thunder26

It was told that one of the reasons is that they built many roads, that are higher than the land around and they did not put the concrete tubes below them, as the King recommends since decades.

Therefor the water can't flow to the sea, or the way it must flow is very far.

Might not prevent floods but reduce the effect.

• Like 1

No it is not. Most of the Netherlands is below sea level. It will not be cheap but it can be done.

Agreed but what is in it for the Government?

Why should the government want to help the people out when they get no return on the investment. Best to spend all the flood prevention money left over after the officials get there cut on flood prevention where they can win the votes.sad.png

• Like 1

Governor Apinan Suethanuwong ordered quick dredging of klongs to facilitate the flow of flood waters.

Pity someone didn't think to do this before the start of the rainy season whistling.gif

Oh NO, NO, NO; that would be far too logical a thing to do! Same problem here in Hua-Hin, major 'klongs' FULL of all kinds of big weeds etc. They would rather spend stupid money on digging out ineffective ditches by the side of the road.

But there's no political advantage in it.

Pheu Thai know there are no votes for them down south, and The Democrats take the southern vote for granted.

Deputy Governor reports on flooding in Surat Thani Province

SURAT THANI, 23 November 2013 (NNT) - Surat Thani Deputy Governor Wongsiri Promchana reported that continual heavy rain has caused flooding in low lying areas in 13 districts, 14 sub-districts, and 77 villages, affecting 1,959 households and 8,200 people.

Flooded areas in Surat Thani include 4 sub-districts and 13 villages in Tha Chana District, where 190 millimeters of rain has been recorded. Other flood-stricken areas include 9 sub-districts and 54 villages in Chaiya District, and 10 villages in Kanchanadit District. Vehicles can still pass through the areas. Disaster Prevention and Mitigation personnel and equipment have been deployed to render assistance and pump water out of the area.

Local administrative organizations, charities, and disaster prevention volunteers are also providing aid. Surat Thani Province has established a Flood Relief Center and has issued warnings for residents of lowland and river areas to be alert to flooding during this period.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-24 footer_n.gif

I know I was there( as a child at home) 1953 flood.But I think that Thailand will not have enough money to flood proof the country.

I live since a couple of Years in Surat Thani. We have floods in some areas after 5 days of rain. And the Godfather of Surat is rallying in Bangkok. Stronghold of Democrat Party, talk but doing nothing. Power Cuts on daily base, very poor infrastructure etc. Wonderful..

I am in Nakhon Si Thammarat . Stuck here for 3 days now. What a mess!

In that case I recommend you take this opportunity to check out Wat Mahathat by longtail boat smile.png

And try some pad kreu-ang gaeng (pad prik gaeng north of Chumphon) sator moo krob - chilli-paste curry sauce with crispy pork and petai beans - nowhere in Thailand is it better than in Meuang 'Khon. It's best with an omelette on rice, normally they put in some pak cha-om (acacia leaf?) and garlic into the omelette, and with the pork double-fried for extra crispiness. Mmmm.

Order it extra spicy - they won't do it because you're a khon ai-rang but, if you don't, they'll make it too mild. It's nicer when it blows your head off too, that's why you need the omelette (normally they give you some clear soup with pumpkin to douse out the flames too)... I tell them I'm from Surat, and that Nakhon people can't handle really spicy food so they try to test my limits. Once or twice I've been caught out.

After writing all that - I think I'm going to have this for a late lunch today thumbsup.gif

I rented a room here for a month. I am heading to the Wat in a few minutes. So looking forward to that.

Come to the south strictly for the birding, but today I am taking the day to look around here.

I like it here because of the location. Krung Ching waterfall ( excellent south birds ), Thale Noi ( excellent water birds ), Khu Khud ( water birds ) my first time stopping in the lovely area.

Will check out the dish you recommended.

Cheers, Gary

www.flickr.com/photos/avianphotos

www.birdsthatfart.com