Best set top box with no Monthly fee ?

Ackybang

Hi everyone -

Sorry if this topic has already been covered - would be very grateful for recommendation based on experience.

To keep the missus quiet, I bought a true set top box around 18 Months ago, which has no Monthly fee but allows knowledge package to be bought separately.

I find the cost of their real 'packages' plus rental fees prohibitive.

I don't watch too much telly myself - half a movie now and again - I noticed the package I paid for separately just loops the same crap over and over again, and when I called recently to suspend the package, as I had to take the dish down for a couple of Months to render my house - True said it couldn't be suspended.

Basically, I have a big dish that receives c + ku band together, and I'm wanting to put boxes in 2 of my bedrooms.

I've noticed, PSI, SUNBOX, GMM all have options available which don't have a Monthly subscription - including HD options also (PSI).

So, has anyone tried all (any) of the above, and which one for you represents best value for money, or are they all more or less the same, with similar channels - or did one particular box stand out for you ?

I probably wouldn't mind buying a couple that had an option to purchase an additional value for money cheap package separately - or do you think it would be prudent to hold off in the hope of a better promotion down the line.

Recommendations ? (not rude ones, please).

Thanks in advance.

Believe PSI offers the most HD channels but GMM also has a handful. GMM also has pay options for additional channels but using for C-band will get about 200-220 without paying. For us GMM seemed the best option with 5 box needed and ability to use either C or Ku bands. Have since bought one HD box to allow USB stick on TV without that ability (actually you can also record with the HD receiver to thumb drive also). The GMM HD box can be bought with one year gold package for 2,500 baht from 9sat so if intending to pay package anyhow make it only 1,000 baht for the box so good value. They also provide first month free viewing of there 4,500 baht package when you activate the combined Gold package with box and from what I have seen posted allow paying difference anytime during the one year to upgrade so seems quite fair policy. For us the picture quality of sat transmission is so much better than what we ever received on pay analog cable systems here in Bangkok having HD is not really a concern.

IPM is about 2000 baht to instal and no montly fees, have about 3-4 english movie channels, 3 english speaking news and a few more chanels that can show some intresting programs sometimes all and all its over 100 channels but mostly thai. anyway IPM is alot better then PSI and Sunbox. GMM a dont know about so have no opinion.

When I stay in the djungel I have True Visions Gold Pack witch I think is ok value for money.

When I stay Pattaya I think that Sophon Cable Is really good for only 200 baht montly english movies, BBC and Fox news, Astro supersport, True sports 7, BIO, CI etc

I got the PSI HD box now for 1500thb after installing the complete system with the SX-9 box 2 years ago for 2000thb. I did just because I can see Spain football league and World Cup classification games, and the World Cup next year, but still with most Thai language channels. To get some English speaking channel will depends in the PSI technician skills to get the best dish orientation....anyway..just a few.

Believe PSI offers the most HD channels but GMM also has a handful. GMM also has pay options for additional channels but using for C-band will get about 200-220 without paying. For us GMM seemed the best option with 5 box needed and ability to use either C or Ku bands. Have since bought one HD box to allow USB stick on TV without that ability (actually you can also record with the HD receiver to thumb drive also). The GMM HD box can be bought with one year gold package for 2,500 baht from 9sat so if intending to pay package anyhow make it only 1,000 baht for the box so good value. They also provide first month free viewing of there 4,500 baht package when you activate the combined Gold package with box and from what I have seen posted allow paying difference anytime during the one year to upgrade so seems quite fair policy. For us the picture quality of sat transmission is so much better than what we ever received on pay analog cable systems here in Bangkok having HD is not really a concern.

In connection with Euro2012 I had to get the GMM box and install one more dish.

I have TrueVisions already.

In connection with English Premier League I then had to get CTH meaning one more dish, however, we got one additional box for the bedroom.

Re Grammy. After Euro2012 finished there was basically only Thai channels on GMM plus a very few English movie channels. GMM has improved since then.

Last week I upgraded to the GMM HD Box and with it was a one year free subscription of the Gold package and one month free subscription to the Platinum package. Cost of the HD box = THB 2,999.- plus one more box foc, the GMM Mini Box. So included in the Gold package is also German Bundesliga football.

The upgrade to the HD box was actually a good deal.

You can buy some monthly or yearly subscriptions by calling GMM and then pay at 7-Eleven.

Re TrueVisions. I have no complaints about their service. If anything wrong, they come and fix it unless we can do it over the phone.

Re CTH. Most of it is PayTV but they do have some good channels, such as SkyNews. The only reason I subscriped was due to EPL. About their service, initially they were very poor as they did not know how to handle many installations due to EPL. Their billing system is also in a big mess at the moment.

So what to recommend ? The cheapest solution must be GMM followed by CTH and the most expensive TrueVisions.

Programming wise - TrueVisions despite the repeats/recycling of movies.

HD quality all 3 providers - very good.

Hi. I suggest you can try getting Netflix instead. They allow for multiple logins so you can share it with friends or family.. To get access in Thailand, you need a vpn. For me, I use hma, which I feel provides a easy installation and cheap..If you work here, a vpn is also important as it prevents hacking and keep your information safe..

I use it as I need to access personal and business emails..

Edited by jameslaw