Jungle Perch/Hampala barb-seeing some action now.

jack2964

This post should be of interest to anglers who target this fish. I don't know about your fishing holes but over where I am (lower Isaan) the reservoir brimmed about 2 months back and levels are now just starting to fall back. Results over the last 2 months were dismal-thousands of casts made with only a few throw-back juveniles to show.

However over the last few days things are looking up again. Still not exactly easy but decent fish of up to about the 2kg mark are hitting lures again.

Trolling give good results too. Anyone else catching fish lately?

• 1 month later...

Was over at Kanchanaburi, caught a small JP on the river, trolling a Rapalla off the back of my kayak. My first LOS fish caught in natural setting, vs. P4P hitting catfish on the head with loaves of bread. facepalm.gif

I live NW edge of Korat. Where are you fishing in lower Issan?

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

Was over at Kanchanaburi, caught a small JP on the river, trolling a Rapalla off the back of my kayak. My first LOS fish caught in natural setting, vs. P4P hitting catfish on the head with loaves of bread. facepalm.gif

I've got a buddy who's been pushing for a kayak trip to the K-Buri area for jungle perch. Can you give a little more detail about the location? Not enough to crowd up your secret spot, but enough to put us on the right body of water.

Thanks in advance.

I've got a buddy who's been pushing for a kayak trip to the K-Buri area for jungle perch. Can you give a little more detail about the location? Not enough to crowd up your secret spot, but enough to put us on the right body of water.

Thanks in advance.

Sure. Gone on the water 3 times with a guy called "Vinnie" who runs a small company called IKanKayak - you can find it on Facebook or ikankayak.com. He does respond to inquiry messages from his website but seems more active on his Facebook page.

My second trip with him was fishing purpose, on the first lake above the dam, but didn't get up there until 0800 - too late IMO, the sun was already over the trees hitting the water, getting hot. I was tossing a Rooster Tail spinner parallel with shore/treeline, fast retrieve leaving a wake on the surface. In the first 5 minutes, 1 came up and had a go about 10 feet from the kayak, but that was it until we quit around 1330.

Two times on enjoyment paddles down the river, just a few hours, back toward town/hotel area. I took my stick along on the last one, maneuvered in deeper current near the shore with overhanging trees and caught the JP.

Really enjoyed it and I'll do it again for sure. Vinnie's not a hard core fisherman persey, but he does wet a line. It was nice to converse in English, and he speaks Thai very well, knows the area and people, etc. He says he can organize a proper boat for fishing, think he said a few thousand Baht. I didn't inquire further but it's on my mind for a future Snakehead trip on the big lake.

Good luck, tight lines.

J

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Sorry guys, I got distracted and totally forgot my own post. Should have opted for "Follow this topic".

Anyway, better late than never. I fish at this reservoir-Lam Plai Mat also known as 'Chom Tawan'. Nearest town is Soeng Sang (Nakhon Ratchasima).

Google Earth coords" 14N 18' 0.78"/102E 26' 59.57"

Since my first post, the fish have all 'disappeared' again. Water level is very low and the few fish I caught were all juvies.

Had a session this morning but came home empty-handed but had a little thrill when a Chado left some very obvious bite marks on a deep diving Rapala-failed hookup!

Also been a couple of times over to Lam Chae Dam near Khon Buri and this dam is always more productive.

How's the JP over your patch?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry guys, I got distracted and totally forgot my own post. Should have opted for "Follow this topic".

Anyway, better late than never. I fish at this reservoir-Lam Plai Mat also known as 'Chom Tawan'. Nearest town is Soeng Sang (Nakhon Ratchasima).

Since my first post, the fish have all 'disappeared' again. Water level is very low and the few fish I caught were all juvies.

Had a session this morning but came home empty-handed but had a little thrill when a Chado left some very obvious bite marks on a deep diving Rapala-failed hookup!

Also been a couple of times over to Lam Chae Dam near Khon Buri and this dam is always more productive.

Hello Jack,

Back in country, had a great time fishing in California over 2 months holiday, now back to Thai reality.

Are you seeing any JP activity lately? Thought about plugging above coordinates into the Navigator, it's not terribly far from Korat.

Cheers,

J

Hello Jack,

Back in country, had a great time fishing in California over 2 months holiday, now back to Thai reality.

Are you seeing any JP activity lately? Thought about plugging above coordinates into the Navigator, it's not terribly far from Korat.

Cheers,

J

Well, you don't appear to be monitoring but ended up in Kanchanaburi this week instead, and managed a couple JPs from the river there. One hit a Jitterbug top water plug and another a small Rapalla trolled off the kayak.

• Like 1