Huge marches in Bangkok today

webfact

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" it is doubtful whether police would be able to stop crowds, which outnumber them, from doing so. The strategic sites include Government House and both airports"

history repeats itself, was it 2008? Since than blockading/occupying airports suppose to be a terrorist offence.

protester's leaders are well connected at the very top and well sponsored, so they are not scared of any future charges against them

• Like 2

As of 8.30pm, red-shirt leaders claimed 60,000 people had converged there.

My wife was watching Thai tv news last night, if what they were showing was current, i would estimate less than 5,000 people.

Singapore papers are reporting 100K

• Like 1

My wife was watching Thai tv news last night, if what they were showing was current, i would estimate less than 5,000 people.

100K for the red shirts at Rajamangala, or 100K for the anti-government.

If there are 100K at Rajamangala, that would mean it is 35K over capacity (seating). It would be 100% full including on the grass. No photos have shown anything like that.

I may have got my protests mixed up, it's so hard to keep track. The pic and 100K quote was for the march at the democracy monument.

If there are 100K at Rajamangala, that would mean it is 35K over capacity (seating). It would be 100% full including on the grass. No photos have shown anything like that.

I may have got my protests mixed up, it's so hard to keep track. The pic and 100K quote was for the march at the democracy monument.

For what it's worth; Straits times story here:

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking-news/se-asia/story/bangkok-anti-government-rallies-set-spread-20131124

I don't usually comment on protest numbers because they can never be verified and generally quoted numbers reflect political preferences (wish fulfilment more than a desire to deceive).However some of the figures quoted are ridiculous.You are right:there were nothing like 100,000 redshirts out yesterday, more like 20,000.Equally claims of 400,000 for the opposition protests were clearly ludicrous, more like 150,000 max (though still very large).It's one thing for us to bandy numbers on this forum but what seems unacceptable is for newspapers to take the same cavalier attitude

You're lower numbers are about what's being reported by some "independent" sources. I think the reds rally was predicted to be about 35,000.

I don't usually comment on protest numbers because they can never be verified and generally quoted numbers reflect political preferences (wish fulfilment more than a desire to deceive).However some of the figures quoted are ridiculous.You are right:there were nothing like 100,000 redshirts out yesterday, more like 20,000.Equally claims of 400,000 for the opposition protests were clearly ludicrous, more like 150,000 max (though still very large).It's one thing for us to bandy numbers on this forum but what seems unacceptable is for newspapers to take the same cavalier attitude

Most reports seem to be saying 100,000 but others reckon it could easily be 120,000 or so. If it was anything like 150,000 then that would equal the red shirts in March 2010, which was then the largest political protest since 1973 I think. The numbers are pretty impressive, and should send a strong message to the government. But numbers alone don't necessarily achieve much. Even if they could keep a crowd that large assembled there for several days, surely all the government would have to do is stay calm and let it pass...

Agree your figure for Rajamangala seems a decent rough estimate. Expect more than that, but still way less than they were able to pull in recent years. Just goes to show how much support has dropped.

It is not about corruption.

It is about ousting a democratically elected government and moving back to an undemocratic system as was called for by Suthep yesterday.

Get over your obsessions with Thaksin and see through the smoke and mirrors.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Your argument is moot by the fact that the every election, including the one that led to the current government, is marred by rampant and pervasive bribery - that's the crux of the issue.

Many of those gathering have been bused in from the South and are receiving 500thb per day as has been documented on other threads.

We saw the Democrats recruit the 'Friends of Newin Faction' specifically to vote-buy in the North East, and he was given the most lucrative ministries to plunder as a reward. 

It is very convenient to say that all the votes have been bought, as an excuse to annul the democratic process, but that's all it is, an excuse.

Proof please something like the youtube images of the reds getting paid and taksin talking about 500 bt.

You state something the burden of proof is upon you its must be 100% credible not hearsay just like those video i mentioned.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Suthep announces the aims which is an abandonment of the current democratic process.

http://asiancorrespondent.com/116332/suthep-calls-for-change-to-administration-system-by-the-monarchy-in-true-form/

Or not:

BP: Also, Sunday night, Suthep did say “democratic system with the King as Head of State in a true form”