Tourists in Bangkok may be better off not to leave hotels during upcoming protests

webfact

Tourists in Bangkok may be better off not to leave hotels during upcoming protests

BANGKOK: -- Air travelers to Bangkok have been warned to expect heavy road traffic and a lack of taxis resulting from the political protests in Bangkok, Suvarnabhumi Airport officials said on Sunday. The airport train, Skytrain or pre arranged transportation may be the best option.

This is in anticipation of major political protests in Bangkok.

The leaders of the three main anti-government protest groups on Saturday joined forces, vowing to fight shoulder-to-shoulder to uproot former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's political networks.

It was the first time the protest leaders have appeared on the same stage together, despite their three rally sites being situated in close proximity.

In the past no tourists had ever been hurt in demonstrations in Bangkok, but transportation will be a challenge and many tourism sites, shopping malls and other attractions may close.

Hotels in downtown Bangkok have experience dealing with such security threats and visitors in Bangkok may select to enjoy to stay at their hotels.

On Saturday the situation for tourists in Bangkok was ok.

Full story: http://www.eturbonews.com/39971/tourists-bangkok-may-be-better-not-leave-hotels-during-upcoming-

-- eTN 2013-11-25

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past no tourists had ever been hurt in demonstrations in Bangkok, but transportation will be a challenge and many tourism sites, shopping malls and other attractions may close.

Um, except for the ones killed during the last major protests.

I think it reads as "foreign tourists". I'm not aware of any foreign tourists being killed in the last protest, but perhaps I should ask what you mean when you say the "last major protest"?

Edited by Local Drunk

I am not sure what you are reffering to. As far as I know no tourist was killed then.

I think it reads as "foreign tourists". I'm not aware of any foreign tourists being killed in the last protest, but perhaps I should ask what you mean when you say the "last major protest"?

2010 Thai political protests

On the evening of 22 April, around 8 pm local time,[80] a series of explosions caused by Red-Shirts in Bangkok killed one person and injured 86 more, including at least four foreigners.[84][85]

and the threat of targeted violence on foreigners

On 16 May, the death-toll rose to 33, with the number of wounded rising to 230. Reporters in the vicinity of the violence had to cancel live broadcasts due to the threat of sniper attacks from military forces in the area. The government urged the very young and very old to leave the camp by Monday afternoon, prompting fears of an army crackdown. They also started telling the public that the foreign media, such as CNN, BBC, Reuters, and many others, cannot be trusted as they are biased.[114]
  • Like 1

reporters dont count as tourists.

Far as I understand, aside from foreign diplomats, all people who are not Thai citizens and to a lesser degree permanent residents are actually and effectively (in the later case) tourists.

• Like 1

"Hotels in downtown Bangkok have experience dealing with such security threats" This part is laughable. I was there in 2010, staying just a couple of blocks from the main protest site. I could hear rifle shots and explosions many times. The hotel had a lone security guy, if the mob had migrated our way, he would have been screwed, all they had to do was break in the large glass panels on the hotel front. He would have been helpless, and so would the guests. The final night I was there, we had a curfew, and nobody could even leave the hotel.

"Hotels in downtown Bangkok have experience dealing with such security threats" This part is laughable. I was there in 2010, staying just a couple of blocks from the main protest site. I could hear rifle shots and explosions many times. The hotel had a lone security guy, if the mob had migrated our way, he would have been screwed, all they had to do was break in the large glass panels on the hotel front. He would have been helpless, and so would the guests. The final night I was there, we had a curfew, and nobody could even leave the hotel.

And given the Thai propensity to run away from conflict and shirk responsibility/duty, who among us would believe a lowly, minimum wage, lone security guard would actually put himself in harm's way under such a threat?

Absolute joke, as usual, in the mystery of the Thai mind.

Edited by PaullyW

As someone else noted, it depends on your definition of tourist. If it includes any foreigner, then you are correct. If you exclude journalist's then I believe you are wrong. If violence occurs, such as in 2010, being near the violence is dangerous. If bullets are in the air, bombs going off, tear gas being shot - none of them have any sort of magic that allows them to bypass foreigners - the laws of physics dictate where they go. So due care is a good idea.

• Like 1

2010 Thai political protests

On the evening of 22 April, around 8 pm local time,[80] a series of explosions caused by Red-Shirts in Bangkok killed one person and injured 86 more, including at least four foreigners.[84][85]

and the threat of targeted violence on foreigners

On 16 May, the death-toll rose to 33, with the number of wounded rising to 230. Reporters in the vicinity of the violence had to cancel live broadcasts due to the threat of sniper attacks from military forces in the area. The government urged the very young and very old to leave the camp by Monday afternoon, prompting fears of an army crackdown. They also started telling the public that the foreign media, such as CNN, BBC, Reuters, and many others, cannot be trusted as they are biased.[114]

perfect example on why you cant trust wiki. anyone can write anything on there and people think of it like the gospel.

What about the cites below, from which the information was taken?

Perfect example of why you should read critically and in depth and follow citations.

Hotels in downtown Bangkok have experience dealing with such security threats and visitors in Bangkok may select to enjoy to stay at their hotels.

Nothing gets past the mirror under the car check.

You're right. I always carry my bombs on the back seat. They never look there.

reporters dont count as tourists.

Far as I understand, aside from foreign diplomats, all people who are not Thai citizens and to a lesser degree permanent residents are actually and effectively (in the later case) tourists.

Your understanding is severely lacking. Those of us here on non-immigrant visas are not tourists. That includes reporters, educators, those married to Thais and on non-imm visas.

I was in a major demonstration, early nineties, against the military coup at the time. They shot a tourist a few hundred meters away from us; he was killed instantly. I came across burned police posts and no taxi (so no escape) was available, as the military had instantly seized all petrol stations. People talked about death squads and the school i was attending at that moment decided to continue to teach but in private only, so the school building was closed. It had turned all of a sudden to this, in a few days time.The BKK Post published a front cover entirely in black. It was scary. I walked all the way from Rachada to Bangna - there was suddenly no more transport. The military were everywhere instantly. They weren't soldiers from the city i was told, but from upcountry. The reason for this was that it would be easier for them to fight and kill as they were not emotionally attached to BKK. I believe many people died at the time.

So better be safe. It can change quickly.

Maybe it's not such a bad thing to live on the outskirts of Bangkok and commute 40km into town. The protesters won't ever come out to where I live. Only thing is I wouldn't want to walk 40km to get back home if I can't get my car out of the Central World parking lot or the skytrain doesn't run!