Tourists in Bangkok may be better off not to leave hotels during upcoming protests

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Perfect example of why you should read critically and in depth and follow citations."

Seriously? LMAO, because...

#1 you're the one that claimed tourists/foreigners were killed.

In the past no tourists had ever been hurt in demonstrations in Bangkok, but transportation will be a challenge and many tourism sites, shopping malls and other attractions may close.

Um, except for the ones killed during the last major protests.

which you then supported it with a quote that you apparently misread multiple times:

On the evening of 22 April, around 8 pm local time,[80] a series of explosions caused by Red-Shirts in Bangkok killed one person and injured 86 more, including at least four foreigners.[84][85]

Which doesn't say ANY foreigners or tourists were killed. I clearly states that one person was killed before going on to say 86 people were injured including at least four foreigners.

#2 You reference this quote from Wikipedia and tell people to check the source citations. Well #85 is now 404 (and the archived version doesn't support your claim). #85 doesn't support your claim either and #114 is behind a paywall.

So... still waiting for ANY support to your claim that foreigners were "killed during the last major protests".

Wikipedia says one italian journalist, is that what you're trying to refer to? Would sincerely love to read whatever source you're claiming, but sure can't find it.

Edited by jb510
  • Like 1

<deleted>...even during the riots in 2010 it wasn't too difficult to stay out of trouble.

If you don't want to be part of a riot, DON'T GO THERE!

Bangkok is one hell of a big city and if someone is hitting someone else in the face at the Democracy Monument, you are quiet safe in Silom or Sukhumvit!

If hit-the-fan.gif.pagespeed.ce.6UelFDbFNJ. just avoid Bangkok and go directly to Ching Mai, Phuket or elsewhere.

No warnings or advisories from American Embassy. Ambassador too busy uploading videos to YouTube on how to make turkey stuffing.

I got an email from the Canadian embassy this morning warning us all.

I'd feel safer being at a rally in Bangkok than being on Walking Street in Pattaya...

Safer from what - pushy katoeys? Drunk tourists? Doh. This is a serious topic.

I'm dead serious...

Bugger all happens on Walking Street, it's no more dangerous than any other nightlife strip, as anyone who lives here knows. While these demos have the potential for serious violence, as we have seen enough times before in Thailand.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Far as I understand, aside from foreign diplomats, all people who are not Thai citizens and to a lesser degree permanent residents are actually and effectively (in the later case) tourists.

Your understanding is severely lacking. Those of us here on non-immigrant visas are not tourists. That includes reporters, educators, those married to Thais and on non-imm visas.

I am on a non-immigrant visa and I am effectively treated as tourist by the government and businesses alike. Must you renew every year, report every 90 days? Do you still pay far more for many products and services than do Thai citizens? Are you afforded ANY significant rights beyond a tourist for the visa statuses you mentioned?

I suspect it is not me who is severely lacking in understanding.

You are effectively still regarded as a tourist. A long-term tourist, but nonetheless.

Hmmm.

I work (legally)

I am entitled to social security benefits.

I am entitled to unemployment benefits.

I get healthcare through my social security contributions from being a tax payer.

I send a staff member to Immigration so only go once a year and that is a quick trip.

I pay the same as Thais for goods and services. (I sometimes pay less than my Thai partner does .. but he doesn't shop around :)

You are severely misrepresenting what a tourist is, but that comes as no surprise either.

Personally I am a long term foreign worker in Thailand (that reads and speaks Thai.) The only time I feel as if I am treated likue a tourist (of any kind -- Thai or foreign) is when I am doing touristy things.

I pity you that you pay more, and are "treated like a tourist" -- but hey. There is a good chance you deserve that treatment :)

• Like 1

reporters dont count as tourists.

Far as I understand, aside from foreign diplomats, all people who are not Thai citizens and to a lesser degree permanent residents are actually and effectively (in the later case) tourists.

People with work permits or long-term visas (e.g. retirement) aren't tourists.

Got up this morning and got the Hell out of Bangkok. Took a taxi to Hua Hin and the insane driver nearly killed me. I could have "selected to enjoy to stay in my hotel"? Don't think so.

I'd have more to say if I thought this really was a democracy.

Cue TAT and their pronouncement... "The protests will not effect tourist arrivals".

How about "tourist departures"? I was here in 2008 and although the Thai govt was generous in the hotels they assigned to stranded tourists, I just wanted to get home. Never thought I would live to love hearing the words "U Tapao".

So in the past no foreign tourist were hurt? Wow, maybe the author should play the tape of the army shooting on protestors and the foreigners laying in a ditch on Rama IV road, they were really tourists. The fact that nobody has been killed was sheer luck. Luck when yellow shirts were proudly opening fire on anything that moved while waving with a portrait and anyone who have walked over a yellow shirt protest side will immediately notice all the weapon that their security is carrying. From guns to bombs.

• Like 1

Death does not discriminate and cares not if the person is foreign, local, short, fat, handsome, or homely.

The debate should be the controversy over the killing of human beings and not the status of their immigration status or domicile.

• Like 2

2010 Thai political protests

On the evening of 22 April, around 8 pm local time,[80] a series of explosions caused by Red-Shirts in Bangkok killed one person and injured 86 more, including at least four foreigners.[84][85]

and the threat of targeted violence on foreigners

perfect example on why you cant trust wiki. anyone can write anything on there and people think of it like the gospel.

What about the cites below, from which the information was taken?

Perfect example of why you should read critically and in depth and follow citations.

i have too many problems with that article to even start to check references. i have better things to do with my day that to write it all out here.

• Like 1

2010 Thai political protests

and the threat of targeted violence on foreigners

perfect example on why you cant trust wiki. anyone can write anything on there and people think of it like the gospel.

What about the cites below, from which the information was taken?

Perfect example of why you should read critically and in depth and follow citations.

i have too many problems with that article to even start to check references. i have better things to do with my day that to write it all out here.

That will give the TV budding investigators an opportunity to research the references and you will have time to log off and pursue the more important aspects of your life.

In the past no tourists had ever been hurt in demonstrations in Bangkok, but transportation will be a challenge and many tourism sites, shopping malls and other attractions may close.

As someone else noted, it depends on your definition of tourist. If it includes any foreigner, then you are correct. If you exclude journalist's then I believe you are wrong. If violence occurs, such as in 2010, being near the violence is dangerous. If bullets are in the air, bombs going off, tear gas being shot - none of them have any sort of magic that allows them to bypass foreigners - the laws of physics dictate where they go. So due care is a good idea.

What the links used as references say is: " UNCONFIRMED REPORTS of foreigners being killed. "

Of course that could be Burmese, Lao or Cambodians.

No word on westerners, except for reporters, who intentionally went into harms way for their stories.

Edited by animatic

I am not sure what you are reffering to. As far as I know no tourist was killed then.

While not a "tourist" in the most basic sense of the word, there were a few foreign journalists killed in the 2010 riots.

Yes indeed, many people have short memories coffee1.gif

Yes indeed, many people have short memories coffee1.gif

• Like 1