Tourists in Bangkok may be better off not to leave hotels during upcoming protests

webfact

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past no tourists had ever been hurt in demonstrations in Bangkok, but transportation will be a challenge and many tourism sites, shopping malls and other attractions may close.

Um, except for the ones killed during the last major protests.

I am not sure what you are reffering to. As far as I know no tourist was killed then.

While not a "tourist" in the most basic sense of the word, there were a few foreign journalists killed in the 2010 riots.

A few??

Weren't there some journalists that were badly injured by red shirt grenades.

In Australia ... if we want a change of government ... we do it at election time. It seems kneejerk decisions and vote buying just don't work. Will they ever learn? Probably not.

Doing a comparison to Aussie, not in the same league. What you have here is the Thai peoples doing, led to believe they were going to be rich in 6 months, and all children have tablet for school, and so on. Instead you have what you have now -a dictatorial state being controlled by thugs and Friends OF. Ministerial decisions

made without thought for the nation, only for the power people in charge.

The Chinese will not mind as they do NOT go out on walk about. the are only herded onto buses to sight see, or shop.

• Like 1

In Australia ... if we want a change of government ... we do it at election time. It seems kneejerk decisions and vote buying just don't work. Will they ever learn? Probably not.

Doing a comparison to Aussie, not in the same league. What you have here is the Thai peoples doing, led to believe they were going to be rich in 6 months, and all children have tablet for school, and so on. Instead you have what you have now -a dictatorial state being controlled by thugs and Friends OF. Ministerial decisions

made without thought for the nation, only for the power people in charge.

The Chinese will not mind as they do NOT go out on walk about. the are only herded onto buses to sight see, or shop.

Next time ... I'll use a "Tongue in cheek" smiley.

• Like 1

No warnings or advisories from American Embassy. Ambassador too busy uploading videos to YouTube on how to make turkey stuffing.

I received following from US Embassy on 11/25/2013 at 05:19:

Domestic political activists in Thailand are holding large demonstrations at several sites throughout Bangkok, including at several government complexes. These demonstrations may continue throughout the week.

In consideration of these activities, the Thai government has increased the police presence around government buildings and in other locations. Demonstrators moving around the city may cause significant traffic delays; please plan travel accordingly.

Even demonstrations that are meant to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Be alert and aware of your surroundings and pay attention to local news media reports

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Thailand enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)at www.Travel.State.Gov. STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don’t have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

I was in a major demonstration, early nineties, against the military coup at the time. They shot a tourist a few hundred meters away from us; he was killed instantly. I came across burned police posts and no taxi (so no escape) was available, as the military had instantly seized all petrol stations. People talked about death squads and the school i was attending at that moment decided to continue to teach but in private only, so the school building was closed. It had turned all of a sudden to this, in a few days time.The BKK Post published a front cover entirely in black. It was scary. I walked all the way from Rachada to Bangna - there was suddenly no more transport. The military were everywhere instantly. They weren't soldiers from the city i was told, but from upcountry. The reason for this was that it would be easier for them to fight and kill as they were not emotionally attached to BKK. I believe many people died at the time.

So better be safe. It can change quickly.

This might be contemporary with the events you described.

The assumption that tourists would be safer in the hotel rooms is fairly safely based on the distinct lack of RPG carrying protesters this year. Those who were guests at the Dusit Thani in May 2010 are allowed a measure of healthy scepticism.

www.thephuketinsider.com/.../breaking-news-dusit-thani-hotel-evacuate..

BTW As I recall, the theory at the time was this attack was prompted by the number of foreign journalists in residence, since abandoned when the red mantra became "We had no reason to target journalists, it must have been the army."