Scotland to become independent in March 2016 if referendum passes

News_Editor

Were Salmond to give non resident Scots the vote as USA gives their citizens the outcome might be more decisive.

Well if you were to base it on the few hundred expat Scots with whom I'm acquainted, the No's will piss it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Phuketjock.

Here's a fact for you.

You have given up all attempts to answer my points and questions and resorted to mere childish insults (now, who does that remind readers of?)

The only conclusion which can be drawn is that, like Salmond, when faced with awkward questions you have no answer.

I really don't recall any points you have made or questions you have asked that I have not attempted to answer,

but I am more than willing to humour you if you would like to make these points and ask your questions that you

think I may not have addressed or answered, go right ahead 7.

But I do have some questions that you so far have failed to address or answer, I will give them to you one at a

time to save you from becoming confused.

Have you come up with any valid legal reason why an independent Scotland cannot use the pound as its currency??

I am not looking for what some politician thinks or the ramblings of some journalist, just a straightforward legal reason

why Scotland cannot continue using the pound after independence??

A link to your source would be helpful. thumbsup.gif

Were Salmond to give non resident Scots the vote as USA gives their citizens the outcome might be more decisive.

Well if you were to base it on the few hundred expat Scots with whom I'm acquainted, the No's will piss it.

Ah! But those Scott's are living in the present, they are not living in 1513.

I think many people on both sides of the debate would be surprised at how integrated the people of the British Iles had become over the centuries, many people moving around the Islands marrying people of different tribes/clans etc., and then comes along some self appointed messiah who promises people the world, but what he does provide is division and hate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I think many people on both sides of the debate would be surprised at how integrated the people of the British Iles had become over the centuries, many people moving around the Islands marrying people of different tribes/clans etc., and then comes along some self appointed messiah who promises people the world, but what he does provide is division and hate.

Yes, English, Scottish and Welsh folk are now totally integrated, through marriage, friendship, and standing side by side when conflict rears it's head. We are a union in many ways. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I think having a UK passport still opens plenty of doors, some of which might close if you simply have a "Scottish" passport.

That''s pure speculation. I am sure that Scotnd will establish diplomatic relations with many countries over time, if they findout who we are.

Anyway, enough of this political pish, the qualification for the 2016 Olympic Sevens has been published, and it looks highly likely that England will be carrying the flag for Great Britain, with Wales long-shot outsiders

SC

Phuketjock.

Here's a fact for you.

You have given up all attempts to answer my points and questions and resorted to mere childish insults (now, who does that remind readers of?)

The only conclusion which can be drawn is that, like Salmond, when faced with awkward questions you have no answer.

I really don't recall any points you have made or questions you have asked that I have not attempted to answer,

but I am more than willing to humour you if you would like to make these points and ask your questions that you

But I do have some questions that you so far have failed to address or answer, I will give them to you one at a

Have you come up with any valid legal reason why an independent Scotland cannot use the pound as its currency??

I am not looking for what some politician thinks or the ramblings of some journalist, just a straightforward legal reason

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/s_ni_roleofbackingassets.aspx

Q3. Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"?

A. In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales. Legal tender has, however, a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he/she owes under the terms of a contract (and in accordance with its terms), or pays this amount into court, he/she has good defence in law if he/she is sued for non-payment of the debt.

In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a note's acceptability in transactions. The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales. Holders of genuine Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are provided with a level of protection similar to that provided to holders of Bank of England notes. This is because the issuing banks must back their note issue using a combination of Bank of England notes, UK coin and funds in an interest bearing bank account at the Bank of England.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by casualbiker

Phuketjock.

Here's a fact for you.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/s_ni_roleofbackingassets.aspx

Q3. Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"?

A. In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales. Legal tender has, however, a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he/she owes under the terms of a contract (and in accordance with its terms), or pays this amount into court, he/she has good defence in law if he/she is sued for non-payment of the debt.

In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a note's acceptability in transactions. The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales. Holders of genuine Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are provided with a level of protection similar to that provided to holders of Bank of England notes. This is because the issuing banks must back their note issue using a combination of Bank of England notes, UK coin and funds in an interest bearing bank account at the Bank of England.

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Not really a relevant answer since what we have now is accepted, there would be no change except the anal English shop keepers exercising right not to accept the Scottish note.

Yes the Thatcher government was at least straightforward in their discrimination.

Many Scots have not forgotten this....and will consider it when they are voting along with a host of other issues.

Some on here consider us to be a bit thick or try to scare us with the idea that we will have no viable currency or business.

I can only assume such people have not spent much time in Scotland.

The country has thrived under devolution and will continue to do the same or better as an independent country.

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

Yes the Thatcher government was at least straightforward in their discrimination.

Many Scots have not forgotten this....and will consider it when they are voting along with a host of other issues.

Some on here consider us to be a bit thick or try to scare us with the idea that we will have no viable currency or business.

The country has thrived under devolution and will continue to do the same or better as an independent country.

You don't need to consider Thatcher,when deciding which way to vote,bear in mind Thatcher never polled more than 45% in Elections,and was hated by the majority of the Electorate,me included.

• Like 1

7by7 may not have one, but there is one very significant point. Scotland would have just as much right to use the English pound as it would to use the US dollar. Scotland's needs would not affect US fiscal policy if Scotland used the dollar, and would not affect English fiscal policy if Scotland used the English pound.

Has anyone tried to quantify the benefits of Scotland having its own fiscal policy? I have seen it argued that some English regions suffer from being tied to the London pound.

If Scotland was to become independent, then there is nothing stopping Scotland applying for membership.

But this will take time, first it would down to the new government to apply, it may not be even recognized until after separation from the Union, then it will have to negotiate with the EU.

Also remember while negotiating with the EU the rest of of the UK will have it's own referendum on staying in the EU, and I do not think "can we join if the UK stays in" will go down at all well.

During the transition period will we have to impose boarder controls? and if Scotland is not accepted or the UK opts out?

And you know all this to be fact then???

If so can you please enlighten all of us and reveal where we can all see this info for ourselves?

Or are you just another speculator stating what you think will apply when Scotland becomes independent??

facepalm.gif

So, tell me, how are Scots folk going to be better off breaking away from the union. ?

Because Salmond says so! The Lemming in chief,standing by the Cliff,insisting on leading the way!

• Like 1

Phuketjock.

Here's a fact for you.

"why Scotland cannot continue using the pound after independence"

As Salmond knows very well he is desperate to keep the Pound, The EU have already stated,that should the Referendom be a Yes Vote,Scotland will have to present an Independant application to join the EU,which does not guarantee entry or any preconditions. And guess what? the price for entry for Scotland will be the need to take on board the Euro! Salmond spins a good story for you Guys,it's a shame he has been proven in the Media as being an accomplished liar! he can't keep the Pound,unless it appears as an even weaker currency than the Scottish pound,but in it's new form would be in name only,and financialy extremely weak!

As you know the UK will not touch the Euro with a barge pole,can you now see the problems ahead for the First Minister? and his insistence that he is pulling the strings,and how he is being less than honest with his Campaign to Con the Scottish people,and his only interest is his own career and a place in the History Books.

Personally I dont believe the Scottish people will fall for it,i'm sure it will be a NO vote,so it's not really worth getting worked up about !

And many people in the rest of the UK remember what a good job those two Scotsman Blair and Brown have done to our country, one of the MANY pluses to the remaining UK if there is a "Yes" vote, is the knowledge that the likelihood of another incompetent and lying Scotsman taking the helm of the UK government will be very slim. However the policies of those two scumbags will continue in Scotland under either the Scottish Labour Party or the SNP, these two parties will continue to bribe and spend more money than the government takes in, the only difference is that they will not be able to rely on the British government to bail them out.

True I have not spent much time in Scotland, found the weather and food to be atrocious and many of the people to be grumpy, heavy into moaning and blaming everything on the English.

Role on September and lets hope there's a "Yes" vote, it's the only chance the English will get to get ride of these parasites.

I've always thought that the Scots were justified in requesting a vote on this issue, as Salmonds and the SNP have always stated the original agreement to create the Act of Union in 1706 was not taken by the majority of the Scottish people, only by a small number, mostly the rich and landed.

So what will happen if there is a NO vote, will the SNP accept the democratic wish of the Scottish people. Well, not according to Alex Salmonds the leader of the nationalist, he has already gone on record as saying they will make another attempt in a few years time. So again we will be left in limbo. In the meantime the rest of the UK, who have never had the opportunity to vote on this issue ( and this includes the English people in 1706 ) will just have to accept the union, even though, according to numerous opinion post carried out in England and Scotland, a larger percent of the English, as opposed to the Scots, would favour separation.

Why do English people act like they did other countries a huge favor by colonizing them?

• Like 1

Currency is a non-issue. Ecuador uses US dollars exclusively. Cambodia uses US dollars a lot. Many countries have several currencies in circulation without a problem. It's a red-herring - used by many to distract from the real issues :)

• Like 1

Currency is a non-issue. Ecuador uses US dollars exclusively. Cambodia uses US dollars a lot. Many countries have several currencies in circulation without a problem. It's a red-herring - used by many to distract from the real issues smile.png

Currency is an issue if you are carrying Scottish pounds.........no one wants them, legal tender or not.

• Like 2

.....I do have some questions that you so far have failed to address or answer, I will give them to you one at a

A link to your source would be helpful.

You really should read people's posts before criticising them. I have already answered that question!

Many years ago, the Irish pound was tied to Sterling and in many parts of both the Republic and Northern Ireland shops etc. would accept either currency on a one to one basis. But when the Republic joined the ERM and the UK didn't the Irish pound and Sterling were no longer tied to each other and so ordinary people either side of the border were reluctant to accept the other currency as they didn't know the exchange rate anymore. Even more so when the Republic joined the Euro.

I say this to show that you are, in a way, correct. There is no legal reason why the people of an independent Scotland cannot keep Sterling, spend Sterling in their shops etc.

But, unless the remainder of the UK agrees, which as has been repeatedly said is very unlikely, it will not be the Scottish currency; it will not be a currency union. It will be the UK's currency which Scotland uses.

Therefore the Scottish government will not have any control over it. Fiscal policy etc. will be set by Westminster. If Scotland uses the UK's currency then it will have to bow down to the UK's fiscal policies.

How is that independence?

Will you know answer that question?

Phuketjock.

Here's a fact for you.

"why Scotland cannot continue using the pound after independence"

As Salmond knows very well he is desperate to keep the Pound, The EU have already stated,that should the Referendom be a Yes Vote,Scotland will have to present an Independant application to join the EU,which does not guarantee entry or any preconditions. And guess what? the price for entry for Scotland will be the need to take on board the Euro! Salmond spins a good story for you Guys,it's a shame he has been proven in the Media as being an accomplished liar! he can't keep the Pound,unless it appears as an even weaker currency than the Scottish pound,but in it's new form would be in name only,and financialy extremely weak!

As you know the UK will not touch the Euro with a barge pole,can you now see the problems ahead for the First Minister? and his insistence that he is pulling the strings,and how he is being less than honest with his Campaign to Con the Scottish people,and his only interest is his own career and a place in the History Books.

Personally I dont believe the Scottish people will fall for it,i'm sure it will be a NO vote,so it's not really worth getting worked up about !

Ah Majic weldome to the thread, pity you don't seem to have actually read it before jumping in with both feet.

I refer you to posts #206 and #248. smile.png

.....I do have some questions that you so far have failed to address or answer, I will give them to you one at a

A link to your source would be helpful.

You really should read people's posts before criticising them. I have already answered that question!

Many years ago, the Irish pound was tied to Sterling and in many parts of both the Republic and Northern Ireland shops etc. would accept either currency on a one to one basis. But when the Republic joined the ERM and the UK didn't the Irish pound and Sterling were no longer tied to each other and so ordinary people either side of the border were reluctant to accept the other currency as they didn't know the exchange rate anymore. Even more so when the Republic joined the Euro.

I say this to show that you are, in a way, correct. There is no legal reason why the people of an independent Scotland cannot keep Sterling, spend Sterling in their shops etc.

But, unless the remainder of the UK agrees, which as has been repeatedly said is very unlikely, it will not be the Scottish currency; it will not be a currency union. It will be the UK's currency which Scotland uses.

Therefore the Scottish government will not have any control over it. Fiscal policy etc. will be set by Westminster. If Scotland uses the UK's currency then it will have to bow down to the UK's fiscal policies.

Easy answer is it is independence because we as an independent nation will have decided which

currency we wish to adopt whether or not we will have control over it, that's how it is independence.

Anything else 7?? coffee1.gif

unless the remainder of the UK agrees, which as has been repeatedly said is very unlikely, it will not be the Scottish currency; it will not be a currency union. It will be the UK's currency which Scotland uses.

Easy answer is it is independence because we as an independent nation will have decided which

currency we wish to adopt whether or not we will have control over it, that's how it is independence.

Oh dear.

I have no desire to write a lengthy 'Economics for Idiots' type post; so will keep it short.

An independent Scotland may choose to use Sterling for it's currency; but all matters effecting Sterling will be outside of it's control; these matters will all be controlled by the UK government.

An independent Scotland will have no say on any matter effecting Sterling unless the UK government agrees to a currency union; which all the major UK parties have said it wont.

The point is almost certainly moot anyway. If an independent Scotland wants to join the EU, then the terms of its membership will, like for all new members, mean adopting the Euro.

You don't need to consider Thatcher,when deciding which way to vote,bear in mind Thatcher never polled more than 45% in Elections,and was hated by the majority of the Electorate,me included.

Me to...whistling.gif

But at least she would have given that short fat balding git a good "hand bagging".cheesy.gif

unless the remainder of the UK agrees, which as has been repeatedly said is very unlikely, it will not be the Scottish currency; it will not be a currency union. It will be the UK's currency which Scotland uses.

Oh dear.

I have no desire to write a lengthy 'Economics for Idiots' type post; so will keep it short.

An independent Scotland may choose to use Sterling for it's currency; but all matters effecting Sterling will be outside of it's control; these matters will all be controlled by the UK government.

An independent Scotland will have no say on any matter effecting Sterling unless the UK government agrees to a currency union; which all the major UK parties have said it wont.

The point is almost certainly moot anyway. If an independent Scotland wants to join the EU, then the terms of its membership will, like for all new members, mean adopting the Euro.

Scotland is already a member of the EU 7, did you not know that?

And Scotland will still be independent with or without the pound 7 coffee1.gif

Scotland is not a member of the EU, neither are England, Northern Ireland or Wales; the UK is.

If Scotland leaves the UK it becomes a new country, and that new country will not automatically be an EU member; it will have to apply for membership.

For the last time: an independent Scotland which chooses to keep using the pound will not be fully independent as all it's fiscal policies will be decided by Westminster. Otherwise the pound will be worthless scraps of paper north of the border which no one will want to use.

Why do you find that so hard to comprehend?

Next question; try and make it one I haven't already answered this time.

Scotland is not a member of the EU, neither are England, Northern Ireland or Wales; the UK is.

If Scotland leaves the UK it becomes a new country, and that new country will not automatically be an EU member; it will have to apply for membership.

For the last time: an independent Scotland which chooses to keep using the pound will not be fully independent as all it's fiscal policies will be decided by Westminster. Otherwise the pound will be worthless scraps of paper north of the border which no one will want to use.

Why do you find that so hard to comprehend?

Next question; try and make it one I haven't already answered this time.

So by your logic all the countries in the world that use the American dollar as their official currency are not

independent countries?, and by your same logic all the countries that use the euro are not independent countries?

You may have to have rethink on that one 7, Or is that too hard for you to comprehend?

And just a reminder on the Scotland and EU membership myth.

http://www.heraldsco...ership.23570382

'Independence would not bar Scotland from EU membership'

Saturday 1 March 2014

SENIOR European Conservatives, including a key ally of Prime Minister David Cameron, have dismissed claims by Jose Manuel Barroso that an independent Scotland could be kept out of the EU.

The Commission president has faced a growing continental backlash since he declared last month that Scottish membership would be "difficult if not impossible".

Now, in a morale-booster for the Yes campaign, Mr Barroso's assertions have come under direct fire from former Czech president Vaclav Klaus and Joelle Garriaud-Maylam, a senior French senator specialising in foreign policy.

Most Brussels watchers believe Mr Barroso's words, on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, were directed as much at Catalonia - which will hold an unsanctioned vote on independence from Spain later this year - as they were at Scotland.

However, Mr Klaus, speaking at a conference on secession movements in Austria, made it clear he expected Scotland and Catalonia, if they were independent, to stay in the EU.

Answering a question from Professor Charlie Jeffery, of Edinburgh University, Mr Klaus said: "It is arrogant of the EU to say Scotland and Catalonia will not be members."

His words came after another prominent conservative, Mme Garriaud-Maylam, effectively accused the UK and Spain of being behind Mr Barroso's intervention.

Speaking in the French Senate, Mme Garriaud-Maylam said: "The threats formulated by Mr Barroso are inappropriate and the result of Spanish and English pressure. London is increasingly worried. They (the threats) are not credible. If Scotland votes for independence, it will stay in the European Union. It would be in England's interest."

Note the date. So another anti-independance myth shattered. biggrin.png.pagespeed.ce.XhpYJIv77v.png

Your attention span appears to be shortening 7.

Edited by phuketjock

Not only will Scotland be out of the EU so will the two SNP MEPs...

[along with two Labour, one Conservative and one Lib Dem]

Of those who lose their seats in Westminster and Brussels I can see many heading south, but then I do not think the SNP lot will get many votes.

I suppose many will also get kicked out of the upper too...

Edited by Basil B

Not only will Scotland be out of the EU so will the two SNP MEPs...

[along with two Labour, one Conservative and one Lib Dem]

Of those who lose their seats in Westminster and Brussels I can see many heading south, but then I do not think the SNP lot will get many votes.

I suppose many will also get kicked out of the upper too...

Your post though mildy entertaining is, without any factual evidence to back it up, merely

speculative nonsense imo. sad.png